Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Milo and POTUS posted:

....so awesome?

Extremely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Dune. :smith:

This may be an urban legend, but I've always heard that the studios made Lucas or whoever rewrite Star Wars several times because it was a bit too close to Dune, as in legally actionable too close.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I love how in Dune, shooting something shielded with a laser beam will cause nuclear explosions both at the shield's location and at the shooter. So no one bothers trying to shoot each other any more because they could be shielded up and the shoot could nuke himself.

So why has no one ever rigged up a remote firing laser thing?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

I love how in Dune, shooting something shielded with a laser beam will cause nuclear explosions both at the shield's location and at the shooter. So no one bothers trying to shoot each other any more because they could be shielded up and the shoot could nuke himself.

They did that in the first book, if I recall. The no complex machines thing makes digital triggers a no-no, so you have to do it with an analog timed trigger somehow.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rough Lobster posted:

That was literally a thing done a few times in the Frank Herbert series (don't read any of the poo poo his kid wrote) whenever someone wanted to take something out and didn't care about salvaging whatever was in the area they wanted to gently caress up.

It was the rules-lawyer way to get around the "Anybody that uses actual nuclear bombs will get bombed to oblivion by the rest of the whatever-the-Space-UN-was-called" law that got broken all the time anyway by the aristocrats that cared about public image for using nukes.

Also Stone Burners--literally planet-destroying grenades that could be carried in someone's pocket that avoided the "no nukes" rule. Basically they were "If I'm dying anyway and have time to react, I'm taking the whole fuckin' planet with me!" devices. They worked by dumping some kind of techno-babble matter out that would spread out and rapidly burn a hole to the planet's core so that the pressure release cracked the planet apart.

Some Pinko Commie has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jan 15, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I only saw TLJ on Saturday cos I waited to take Dad for his birthday so perhaps use a little more discretion when discussing big releases. That said it's been out a month granted so I understand people chatting about it casually. Namaste.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EmmyOk posted:

I only saw TLJ on Saturday cos I waited to take Dad for his birthday so perhaps use a little more discretion when discussing big releases. That said it's been out a month granted so I understand people chatting about it casually. Namaste.

The biggest spoiler is that Disney kills Star Wars.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

lmao no Lucas did that if anyone did. Disney brought it back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

I remember reading up the fluff on those. Presumably they're hella expensive and don't stand up well to anything heavier than a sidearm.

They show up like once in Episode II when the Jedi are fighting in the arena, and a clone trooper shoots one and blows it in half because for some reason none of them have their shields up.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

It was Disney, in the theater, with the schlock.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we please have one goddamn thread that isn't about Star Wars?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That war (the Butlerian Jihad) is why they don't use computers for anything, and train people to do complex math and poo poo in their heads instead. It's also why the Space Guild exists, and another reason why the Spice is important.

What is it with grimdark space universes and "Whoops we made an AI that was sentient and now we don't use computers anymore or know what technology is"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drone_Fragger posted:

What is it with grimdark space universes and "Whoops we made an AI that was sentient and now we don't use computers anymore or know what technology is"

40k does it because Dune did it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Can we please have one goddamn thread that isn't about Star Wars?

what do you think of star trek discovery

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trig Discipline posted:

what do you think of star trek discovery

I haven't watched it. I'm not paying for CBS' streaming service.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's because it is a lot easier to write a story when you don't have to think about what computers and artificial intelligence will mean for the future. If you ban AIs you don't have to think about them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

It's because it is a lot easier to write a story when you don't have to think about what computers and artificial intelligence will mean for the future. If you ban AIs you don't have to think about them.

Except that the sci-fi universe I know of with no AIs, dune and 40k, spend a ton of time thinking about what it means that they don't have AIs. How that limits the societies and what workarounds they come up with to deal with it, and how it all shapes their thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I love to ascribe laziness to most actions, but I'm not sure it fits here.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd say it's because it's easier to stay within the constraints of "fantasy, but in space with pew pew laserguns" if you don't have to worry about technology as much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

They show up like once in Episode II when the Jedi are fighting in the arena, and a clone trooper shoots one and blows it in half because for some reason none of them have their shields up.

The shields are only configured to repel contemporary, Trade Federation brand laser blasts. The Trade Federation cannot be held liable for the shields ineffectiveness against unlicensed or newer model laser blasts. Customers are reminded to use all due care when operating Trade Federation brand laser blast and shield equipment. Thank you for your continued custom.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Choco1980 posted:

I'd say it's because it's easier to stay within the constraints of "fantasy, but in space with pew pew laserguns" if you don't have to worry about technology as much.

I kinda feel the opposite. Prevents a lot of problems that can be solved with "throw robots at it".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Drone_Fragger posted:

My personal theory is that it started with Asimov, when he wrote Foundation computers basically didn't exist and robots were like a separate branch of sci-fi. He later wrote some backstory about why those things weren't around and then later kind of went "oh ACTUALLY they kind of do!" I blame him and Herbert for the trope.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've already got droids with shields
https://i.imgur.com/wif1pZi.gifv

They needed minor bad guys who would make the Jedi run away because the plot required it at one point so they created those things for the prequel movies and then conveniently forgot about them in almost every other situation

My question was always, is The Force prevented by shields then? Why didn't they just chuck em at walls until they were scrap?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Drone_Fragger posted:

Well, if you're going for grimdark then your alternative is "we made an AI and now everything is terrible."

On the flip side you either have AI and everything is great or you don't have AI and human organization is a clusterfuck.

I guess you could somehow thread the needle and have a grimdark world where AI exists but is useless in saving humanity from itself, in which case it's little more than window dressing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Well, if you're going for grimdark then your alternative is "we made an AI and now everything is terrible."

On the flip side you either have AI and everything is great or you don't have AI and human organization is a clusterfuck.

I guess you could somehow thread the needle and have a grimdark world where AI exists but is useless in saving humanity from itself, in which case it's little more than window dressing.

There's the Culture novels which have super intelligent AI's and people can do and have whatever they like. They also just like to gently caress with people sometimes.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

40k does it because Dune did it.

40k does it because if you have AI then you have to wonder why a slow, squishy human would ever step onto a battlefield again and then you can't have bloody, grimdark battles anymore.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

arent the tleilaxu in dune robots or something? thats the main vibe i got about them

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

If i'm remember correctly at all 40K also had the war against the super intelligent AI's just like Dune didn't it? Like they're exactly the same in their foundations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

im pooping! posted:

arent the tleilaxu in dune robots or something? thats the main vibe i got about them

Nah. They're geneticists that like to do a lot of cloning along with basically being shape-shifters with cybernetic implants. They're pretty far removed from standard humanity, but they aren't AI.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rysithusiku posted:

My question was always, is The Force prevented by shields then? Why didn't they just chuck em at walls until they were scrap?

Why don't they just crush them while they're rolling up?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I haven't watched it. I'm not paying for CBS' streaming service.

You should just move overseas, it's on Netflix pretty much everywhere but the USA.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

im pooping! posted:

The Ixians are the people that put the limits of the Butlerian Jihad, humanity's crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots. It's a plot point in the later novels that they've developed a navigation computer that makes spice unnecessary.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rysithusiku posted:

Some characters are a bit more creative in getting around established limitations

https://i.imgur.com/PzUxHYd.mp4

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

You know guys all these if x then why z questions about movie and comic book universes can be answered simply and universally by BECAUSE IT IS STUPID poo poo WRITTEN BY IDIOTS FOR LITTLE CHILDREN hth

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Some characters are a bit more creative in getting around established limitations

https://i.imgur.com/PzUxHYd.mp4

Someone send this to whoever is writing the Infinity War script for the movies and tell them that if this isn't in the movie they better do some reshoots.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

burexas.irom posted:

You know guys all these if x then why z questions about movie and comic book universes can be answered simply and universally by BECAUSE IT IS STUPID poo poo WRITTEN BY IDIOTS FOR LITTLE CHILDREN hth

What's it like? Living without any fun or joy in your heart, I mean. Is everything just cold and empty?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Someone send this to whoever is writing the Infinity War script for the movies and tell them that if this isn't in the movie they better do some reshoots.

Thor doesn't have his hammer anymore.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Aramoro posted:

There's the Culture novels which have super intelligent AI's and people can do and have whatever they like. They also just like to gently caress with people sometimes.

Excession has some incredibly hilarious intra-AI dialogue.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Man where were you when the prequels were in theaters? There's nothing Disney could do that series that Lucas hasn't already molested to hell and back

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Parrotine posted:

Man where were you when the prequels were in theaters? There's nothing Disney could do that series that Lucas hasn't already molested to hell and back

I was there, in theatres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I bet you liked Jar Jar too