Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

fishmech posted:

Try opening up Disk Management in Windows and see if it tells you that the SD card has multiple partitions. If you see that, you'll at least know that the card probably still works even though it'll be a pain to reset the partitions.

Windows just shows 1 31MB RAW partition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Got a flash drive handy? Fire up gParted and try to fix the partition table on it. If it can't do anything, you're probably out of luck.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I had all sorts of issues burning pi sd cards with ext2fsd installed, it's like it would hijack that part of the card (regardless of if the service was running)

Same issue as you, with a variety of image burning tools only seeing that small fat partition as available

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Windows unfortunately makes the assumption in a lot of places that removable flash devices only ever have one partition which takes up the full capacity of the device, so anything involving dealing with devices having any other configuration becomes a lot more of a pain in the rear end than it should be.

If you have access to a Mac or Linux machine (including another Pi as long as the distro on it is relatively mainstream) it's generally a lot easier to just use that, otherwise seconding the recommendation to use GParted Live (just be careful to have the right device selected as you can easily bork your system drive).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

GutBomb posted:

RetroPie on a pi3 can play most SNES games ok but there's still lag and frame drops here and there.

I've got a Pi 3 (Canakit) being delivered today. It will mainly be used for SNES games. Can I expect it to run the Mario games, Zelda and Secret of Mana pretty well? Our six year old will be the primary player and while she won't be picky, I want to make sure it won't be frustrating to play.

What emulators perform the best?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

me your dad posted:

I've got a Pi 3 (Canakit) being delivered today. It will mainly be used for SNES games. Can I expect it to run the Mario games, Zelda and Secret of Mana pretty well? Our six year old will be the primary player and while she won't be picky, I want to make sure it won't be frustrating to play.

What emulators perform the best?

Just go with the default RetroPie image. It'll run pretty much everything you ever wanted it to run out of the box, without necessarily needing to switch emulators.

It'll run everything from the SNES/Genesis/TG16 generation perfectly (though I've heard Mario All Stars has some issues?), and 90% of the PS1 library will work fine for it too. Neo Geo and MAME stuff both work very well but can be a bit tricky to set up. The only platforms I've found that the system really has any trouble with (at least without significant tinkering) are N64 and Sega Saturn. Any home console newer than that is obviously also not gonna work, but handhelds of the PSP/DS generation are fine.

One thing you'll need to keep in mind is if you have a smart TV, to put it in Game Mode (pretty much all of them have this setting). Otherwise you'll experience some significant input lag on stuff like Super Mario World. Game Mode disables postprocessing built into your TV and reduces input lag down to where it should be.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 9, 2018

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - that's reassuring!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I've done two retropie consoles, one in a fake NES mini shell running basic Retropie and one in a bartop arcade cabinet with a more elaborate hyperspin style theme. I've never had any trouble with anything in the Snes or GBA library. PS1 runs shockingly well, but N64 is very poor. It ran Windjammers and Neo Turf Masters perfectly, but had some slowdown with some of the Metal Slug games due to weird overclocking hacks on the original neo geo (if I remember right).

Arcade/Mame is very much a case by case basis, even with different versions of the same games. For example, Bust a Move works flawlessly, but the Japanese version is a low frame rate, broken mess. I've ended up running the Playstation version of some Arcade games (NFL Blitz and Mortal Kombat come to mind) because of how much better it emulates.

I'm trying to put the finishing touches on my fake mini and I was wondering if there was functionality for a pair of things yet:

I know you can run a python script to play background music on the menus for Emulationstation/Retropie. However, is it possible to put different music for each menu? So, for example, on the console select you hear the NES Classic music, but then to bump down to SNES and it plays the SNES Classic music.

Is there a way to play video splash screens on game load so I could play the Playstation boot when you launch a ps1 game, and so forth?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

CascadeBeta posted:

It ran Windjammers and Neo Turf Masters perfectly, but had some slowdown with some of the Metal Slug games due to weird overclocking hacks on the original neo geo (if I remember right).

There was a bit of slowdown natively on Metal Slug games iirc. Could be wrong there though, it's been ages since I played them on original hardware.

There's some of that in the SNES library as well, particularly with really frenetic games like SHMUPs. Stuff like UN Squadron had slowdown even when played on an actual console.

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016

Drone posted:

There was a bit of slowdown natively on Metal Slug games iirc. Could be wrong there though, it's been ages since I played them on original hardware.

There's some of that in the SNES library as well, particularly with really frenetic games like SHMUPs. Stuff like UN Squadron had slowdown even when played on an actual console.

I can confirm that the hardware does have some slowdown when things get hairy, as my first hours of experience with Metal Slug X was on an arcade machine at the local movie theater. It actually comes in handy at times!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So a thing I wanna make, and have seen various guides for, is a TOR router using a Raspberry Pi 3. Now the guides I have seen, except for one, show how to do it with the Ethernet port as the input and the on-board Wifi as the output. But I want to make portable router I can use on public Wi-fi. Is there a guide for that anywhere that is a little more in-depth on what I need to do?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BigRed0427 posted:

So a thing I wanna make, and have seen various guides for, is a TOR router using a Raspberry Pi 3. Now the guides I have seen, except for one, show how to do it with the Ethernet port as the input and the on-board Wifi as the output. But I want to make portable router I can use on public Wi-fi. Is there a guide for that anywhere that is a little more in-depth on what I need to do?

You'd be doing pretty much exactly the same thing, just swapping the interface names around. The only difference would be having to add a way to control the WiFi interface.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm working on installing Retropie, using this video guide.

I'm at the 13:34 mark in the video, where he loads ROMs onto the USB.

However, it seemed like he missed a step in the instructions.

I successfully went through all the steps up until that point. I had removed the micro USB from the Pi, because I figured that's where the ROMs needed to be installed.

When he plugs his drive into his computer, it shows an empty drive.

When I plug the Micro SD card in, I show what appears to be the RetroPi files(?) on a volume called "boot". Here's its contents:

I also show another drive, but it won't let me access it, saying it needs to be formatted. I have no other storage devices plugged into the computer.

Any ideas what I need to do?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

me your dad posted:

I'm working on installing Retropie, using this video guide.

I'm at the 13:34 mark in the video, where he loads ROMs onto the USB.

However, it seemed like he missed a step in the instructions.

I successfully went through all the steps up until that point. I had removed the micro USB from the Pi, because I figured that's where the ROMs needed to be installed.

When he plugs his drive into his computer, it shows an empty drive.

When I plug the Micro SD card in, I show what appears to be the RetroPi files(?) on a volume called "boot". Here's its contents:

I also show another drive, but it won't let me access it, saying it needs to be formatted. I have no other storage devices plugged into the computer.

Any ideas what I need to do?

You need to use a different USB drive, not the microSD card

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Daztek posted:

You need to use a different USB drive, not the microSD card

Ah, thanks :)

Got it working!

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 11, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just bought myself a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B to play with and I have some questions that I’m sure have been asked tons before.

I’ve set it up as a headless server running Raspbian Stretch as the host OS and I’m going to run as many services in Docker containers as possible. Right now that’s just the controller software for my AP (Unifi) but this weekend I’ll set up a reverse proxy and set up some containers running various RESTful services (I think that’s the terminology; it’s something I want to learn for personal projects). I don’t ever plan on plugging in a monitor, speakers, or any other GPIO devices into this RPi. Linux, the CLI, or Docker aren’t new or unfamiliar things to me.

Should I still stick with Raspbian or are there more specialized OSes that might be better? The Dockerfile for my Unifi controller is based off of resin.io, which seems like it’s a Linux distro designed specifically for this purpose.

One of the guides I saw yesterday said that if I don’t use the GPU I can set a flag in /boot/config.txt to reserve less RAM for it, down to 16MB being the minimum. I can’t see any issues setting GPU memory to 16MB since there will never be a time that I plug in a monitor into this thing. Is this a bad idea?

Can anyone recommend a dashboard app/server that’ll tell me at a glance things like CPU usage, if there are connected users, Docker container uptime and status, etc?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just bought myself a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B to play with and I have some questions that I’m sure have been asked tons before.

I’ve set it up as a headless server running Raspbian Stretch as the host OS and I’m going to run as many services in Docker containers as possible. Right now that’s just the controller software for my AP (Unifi) but this weekend I’ll set up a reverse proxy and set up some containers running various RESTful services (I think that’s the terminology; it’s something I want to learn for personal projects). I don’t ever plan on plugging in a monitor, speakers, or any other GPIO devices into this RPi. Linux, the CLI, or Docker aren’t new or unfamiliar things to me.

Should I still stick with Raspbian or are there more specialized OSes that might be better? The Dockerfile for my Unifi controller is based off of resin.io, which seems like it’s a Linux distro designed specifically for this purpose.

One of the guides I saw yesterday said that if I don’t use the GPU I can set a flag in /boot/config.txt to reserve less RAM for it, down to 16MB being the minimum. I can’t see any issues setting GPU memory to 16MB since there will never be a time that I plug in a monitor into this thing. Is this a bad idea?

Can anyone recommend a dashboard app/server that’ll tell me at a glance things like CPU usage, if there are connected users, Docker container uptime and status, etc?

Netdata is a good monitoring system for you.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So question: I have a guy who has been kicking rear end and I have some company cash to throw at him. He's recently been talking about wanting to pick up some more raspberry pis to do some projects at home, but I am not actually sure what would be cool to get outside of going by amazon reviews. If I have around $250 to use, anyone have any recommendations? Are their like nifty accessories that make life easier when messing around with multiple pis? Any fun gizmos that pair well with projects like motion detectors or LED strips or whatever?

I have no idea what he plans to do, but I figured getting him some stuff relevant to his interests would be more fun than a gift card.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As a person with a job, if my company is going to give me 250 dollars worth of stuff as a token of appreciation, I'd rather just have the money.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Mulloy posted:

So question: I have a guy who has been kicking rear end and I have some company cash to throw at him. He's recently been talking about wanting to pick up some more raspberry pis to do some projects at home, but I am not actually sure what would be cool to get outside of going by amazon reviews. If I have around $250 to use, anyone have any recommendations? Are their like nifty accessories that make life easier when messing around with multiple pis? Any fun gizmos that pair well with projects like motion detectors or LED strips or whatever?

I have no idea what he plans to do, but I figured getting him some stuff relevant to his interests would be more fun than a gift card.

I'm just going to point out that you could buy 50 Raspberry Pi Zeros with that, and that would be pretty amusing.

If you get any sort of details on what kind of stuff he wants to do, that'd be helpful in guiding suggestions. People use Pis for media servers, HTPCs, emulator gaming rigs, home automation, home security, monitoring gardens, etc. and hardware needs can vary greatly.

Sagebrush posted:

As a person with a job, if my company is going to give me 250 dollars worth of stuff as a token of appreciation, I'd rather just have the money.

Seconding this.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

Sagebrush posted:

Personally I agree with you, but this dude in specific would be happier getting something personalized. (I've spoken to his friends for recommendations.)

Some of the stuff he's mentioned has been automating a mechanism to respond to a remote that would move a mechanical arm to trigger a motion sensor, goofy over complicated stuff like that. Emulating small servers to test various code he comes up with, small labs for replication, etc... It's kind of all over the board.

Mulloy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 13, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Thirding the money. Though I'd personally find it kinda sweet that someone was listening to me enough to know my interests and more specifically, something I'd wanna buy if I had the cash.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Legally sometimes you can't do this because the $250 becomes a bonus and is taxable so poor dude ends up with a crisp $100.

mewse
May 2, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

I'm just going to point out that you could buy 50 Raspberry Pi Zeros with that, and that would be pretty amusing.

This would actually be pretty cool because he could throw a new pi at whatever project he comes up with on a whim.

Problem would be every time he wants to put one in service he'd have to buy a psu and sd card at a minimum..

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My employer surprised me with some expensive headphones that somehow impressed me more than $350 would've. It's also useful for my job, though, so that helps...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You could get him a maybe like 1 pi3 and a few pi zero-ws and a sensor kit etc, a few 16gb SD cards,

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Mulloy posted:

You are a really cool employer, this kind of empathy and attention to the individual seems all too rare in modern workplaces. Anyways $250 is a *lot* to spend on pi stuff right out the gate, how cheap they are is a lot of the point. There are so many possibilities but even with a really generous starter kit it'll be hard to crack $250 unless you know a particular project he needs bits for. Adafruit and canakit (and a bunch of other places I'm sure) sell a lot of bundles, you could browse those and pick a few that seem relevant to his interests I guess? Maybe you could combine a basic kit like this with a gift card for one of those sites. If they do gift cards, I dunno. That seems like a good balance of thoughtful and useful to me.

Anyways I came to this thread to ask questions, not answer em! All I've ever used my pi for is taping it to the back of my tv to stream LEGAL CONTENT and play BACKUP ROMS, and using one as a security camera monitoring/recording station. Recently I came across a bitchin' 1988 roland d-10 linear arithmetic synthesizer at the thrift shop. Has *amazing* sound, but the interface is from 1988 and leaves a lot to be desired. There is also a proprietary memory card slot for loading new patches you can buy. I'm wondering about the feasibility of replacing the 2 line LCD and 16 clicky buttons with a touchscreen and basic app. I opened it up to fix a couple keys today and the lcd and controls are on a separate board from any of the sound hardware, which seems promising to me? But I have no idea what I'm doing here. The other thing I was thinking of doing is trying to either adapt the memory card slot to a modern format or provide an alternative memory interface, but that's on the sound board with a bunch of rom lookin chips so that doesn't seem as likely.

To sum it up I guess my questions are: does this seem feasible/how difficult does it sound? If feasible is this a job for an arduino+pi zero or what hardware would you recommend? And finally, what are some good hardware reverse-engineering resources and/or communities?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mulloy posted:

My best advice is make sure any SD cards you include are high quality. Maybe a variety of sizes of them? Here's a pretty decent-looking one at a good price: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-plus-32gb-microsdhc-uhs-i-memory-card/5785401.p

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

rt4 posted:

My employer surprised me with some expensive headphones that somehow impressed me more than $350 would've. It's also useful for my job, though, so that helps...

Ahh the old, "we're moving everyone to a shared workspace... but don't worry you all get noise canceling headphones!" thing. Been there, done that, got the headphones too (they don't help at all).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

This. Or like an adafruit gift card.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just saw this… thing… on reddit and it’s amazing.

Kindle + Raspberry Pi Zero W + a $300 mechanical 60% keyboard modified to have Bluetooth.

It’s so so god drat absurd and I love it.

http://blog.yarm.is/kindleberry-pi-zero-w.html

e: oops I deleted my original post on accident but I was saying that I think the IRS doesn’t care what form gifts come in, be it cash or gift cards or an item. They just want to know the monetary value. At the same time I’m not a lawyer but I would think that $250 is just a rounding error for them so they might not care.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 13, 2018

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Ahh the old, "we're moving everyone to a shared workspace... but don't worry you all get noise canceling headphones!" thing. Been there, done that, got the headphones too (they don't help at all).

In this case, it's 100% remote. The headphones are useful because I frequently host conference calls with customers and they make it easier to do while traveling. After being in an open hellscape, having my own office, and being remote, I don't think I'd ever do on-site work again without a real good reason.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

CRA cares. I think the rule is a gift under $500 is not taxable as income unless is it cash or cash-like (e.g. gift cards), in which it is taxable as income. Last year a $50 gift card I got appeared on my T4.

That means I paid $15 tax on a lovely gift card to Montana's that I didn't want and haven't been able to use. Thanks work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just saw this… thing… on reddit and it’s amazing.

Kindle + Raspberry Pi Zero W + a $300 mechanical 60% keyboard modified to have Bluetooth.

It’s so so god drat absurd and I love it.

http://blog.yarm.is/kindleberry-pi-zero-w.html

e: oops I deleted my original post on accident but I was saying that I think the IRS doesn’t care what form gifts come in, be it cash or gift cards or an item. They just want to know the monetary value. At the same time I’m not a lawyer but I would think that $250 is just a rounding error for them so they might not care.

Oh they care if I get a $250 cash gift from my employer it shoes up as something around $500 in my check so that it's actually really $250.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mantle posted:

CRA cares. I think the rule is a gift under $500 is not taxable as income unless is it cash or cash-like (e.g. gift cards), in which it is taxable as income. Last year a $50 gift card I got appeared on my T4.

That means I paid $15 tax on a lovely gift card to Montana's that I didn't want and haven't been able to use. Thanks work.

In the US, you can't turn around and get the cash for a retail gift card like that without reselling it (do any states even let you cash in the full value of a retail gift card if they're over $10?), so that wouldn't be considered cash-like here. Is it different in Canada?

astral fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2018

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

astral posted:

In the US, you can't turn around and get the cash for a retail gift card like that without reselling it (do any states even let you cash in the full value of a retail gift card if they're over $10?), so that wouldn't be considered cash-like here. Is it different in Canada?

According to the IRS, if your employer gives you a gift card that can be redeemed for any merchandise at a given face value, it's taxable income as if it were cash. There's not even a de minimis exemption. If your boss takes $5 out of petty cash, and buys you a latte at Starbucks, that's not taxable; "who gives a poo poo about a $5 coffee every once in a while?" is written into the tax code. If your boss uses that money to buy a Starbucks gift card, and hands it to you, that's technically $5 of taxable income.

https://www.irs.gov/government-entities/federal-state-local-governments/de-minimis-fringe-benefits

quote:

Cash or cash equivalent items provided by the employer are never excludable from income. An exception applies for occasional meal money or transportation fare to allow an employee to work beyond normal hours. Gift certificates that are redeemable for general merchandise or have a cash equivalent value are not de minimis benefits and are taxable.

(Realistically, the IRS won't care too much, as long as it's not some widespread "we pay some of our wages under the table in amazon gift cards" kind of thing. But the accounting department probably would care. Which is why it's probably better to buy some actual merchandise as a "recognition gift")

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ignoring the whole cash thing but if someone gave me a box of a Pi 3, a miniature screen, a whole bunch of sensors and LEDs I'd be pretty happy, I'm pretty sure Adafruit or whatever sell grab bags of accessories.

Also I feel hella stupid as I bought a cheap RPi camera (revision 1.3) and the official zero case to make a teeny wireless camera, except the stupid case is only big enough to hold the newer rev 2.1 camera... damnit.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I have a couple of Pi 3bs that I want to use as headless systems to serve up a couple of applications I’m playing around with.

I’m during updates I noticed a ton of stuff (ex: Libre Office) that I won’t ever need - and that got me thinking, what else is on the standard install that I can safely got rid of.

Any goons doing something like that and have a laundry list of stuff they do to get the Pis cleaned up?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just use the "Lite" version of Raspbian rather than trying to strip down the desktop version if you're running headless. That'll give you something pretty close to a base Debian install to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

What’s the best way to set up a headless cluster of 3s in bulk so I can just push the same commands to all of them? I’ve got four of them and a wireless-capable zero that I could use as a controller. Everything is in cases connected to a big USB power supply and an old switch so I’m pretty sure that hardware is fine.

My plan is to install Java to mess around with distributed Akka. I presume that Docker makes sense for this use case but really all I need is a JVM, some sort of networking configuration, SSH and SFTP. What do people think?