Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A feudal realm one planet strategy is even better than the usual way.

This time I started as a feudal realm and started doing the usual one planet strat of expanding everywhere with frontier outposts. Then I found my first primitives, whom I enlightened into my first vassal. Found another a few years later: same deal.

With the Domination tree to give me fleet power based on theirs, I'm able to shore up the usual one-planet weakness of poo poo military. I've been roughly on par, fleet-wise, with the rest of the galaxy, for most of the game, on top of being way ahead in tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHjQr9QlNL4
This is really cute. I really like all of Paradox's live action commercial stuff.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ConfusedUs posted:

This time I started as a feudal realm and started doing the usual one planet strat of expanding everywhere with frontier outposts. Then I found my first primitives, whom I enlightened into my first vassal. Found another a few years later: same deal.

With the Domination tree to give me fleet power based on theirs, I'm able to shore up the usual one-planet weakness of poo poo military. I've been roughly on par, fleet-wise, with the rest of the galaxy, for most of the game, on top of being way ahead in tech.

Combine this with the Cherryh Civic to start with a 25 size Gaia world and Gaia preference, and you're off to the races.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Quorum posted:

Combine this with the Cherryh Civic to start with a 25 size Gaia world and Gaia preference, and you're off to the races.

I don't know of a OPS is gonna be viable at all in Cherryh due to how you claim systems.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hyperlane density example:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/952922014351876097

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Good news for fans of warp drive, looks like.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'll probably go for whatever's between those and is roughly equivalent to today's hyperlane networks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Truga posted:

Yeah, you want 2 light bulbs, and then 3rd one can be whatever since you'll hire a curator for that spot soon. :v:

Is the Curator better than a Level 8 Light Bulb?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ConfusedUs posted:

I'll probably go for whatever's between those and is roughly equivalent to today's hyperlane networks.

I might go minimum.

Also I really hope we start to get endgame crises that come from the center of the Galaxy instead of outside.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Contingency kinda does that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is the Curator better than a Level 8 Light Bulb?

In raw % it's gonna be close or a bit worse I think, but the trait gives them a huge bonus to rolling most(all?) rare tech cards, so if there's a rare tech you want in one of the three categories, so you'll want to have a curator in there.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

At the risk of being extremely rude, I am going to bet on this thread having at least some people interested in sci-fi government sims and plug the one I am currently running in The Game Room subforum. It takes place on a small ex-colony in the far reaches of colonized space, after a revolution has overthrown the kleptocratic autocracy that was in charge for about thirty years. There are elections, plenty of government roles, heated debates over policy and factional tensions under the surface. We are currently accepting candidates for the upcoming municipal elections and could use some more players willing to run independently or with a minor party.

this game is very cool but needs more attention to be even better

think of it as the crete LP but with no game mechanics getting in the way of your furious debates over fictional politics

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I might go minimum.

Also I really hope we start to get endgame crises that come from the center of the Galaxy instead of outside.

galactic core explosion

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I might go minimum.

A THOUSAND SCREAMING MURDEROUS FIRES FROM THE CENTER OF THE GALAXY

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd really like a system that was a little "smarter" and instead of such an even distribution did something more like endless space's "constellation" system, where you might get a clump of a dozen star systems each with 3-4 connections each, but that clump of star systems only has a few lanes to other clumps.

In the shots here it's so even, the minimum density just has 1-3 lanes per system leading to tons of little dead-ends, rather than clumps. I'd love something more like "constellations" or "continents" or "clusters" where within the cluster there's a decent amount of connectivity and a general lack of long dead-ends, but only a few ways in/out.

Something like this

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd really like a system that was a little "smarter" and instead of such an even distribution did something more like endless space's "constellation" system, where you might get a clump of a dozen star systems each with 3-4 connections each, but that clump of star systems only has a few lanes to other clumps.

In the shots here it's so even, the minimum density just has 1-3 lanes per system leading to tons of little dead-ends, rather than clumps. I'd love something more like "constellations" or "continents" or "clusters" where within the cluster there's a decent amount of connectivity and a general lack of long dead-ends, but only a few ways in/out.

Something like this

I hope we get something more like that.

While the current teased ones are great they are way too uniform for my liking. I too want bigger lumps/islands of systems.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Wiz posted:

There's several different marauder personalities with different dialogue styles, not just the crazy ones.

Thanks for the clarification, multiple personalities sounds interesting, particularly if it links into how they react outside of just the text.

(I'd still say that it reads more like childish and simple rather than crazy though)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Guilliman posted:

I hope we get something more like that.

While the current teased ones are great they are way too uniform for my liking. I too want bigger lumps/islands of systems.

Remember we are looking at the max and minimum levels of connectedness. The minimum one, especially, seems to have a hard limit of three connections off any given star with a strong preference towards only two.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ConfusedUs posted:

Remember we are looking at the max and minimum levels of connectedness. The minimum one, especially, seems to have a hard limit of three connections off any given star with a strong preference towards only two.

But the script would need to do a little more than just random number of connections uniformly over the galaxy, it would need to understand the concept of a cluster. So you might have a "clusters" slider where the maximum would divide the whole galaxy into a few big clusters and the minimum would be like the screenshots wiz posted with total uniformity, and something in the middle would form a mix of various sized and connected clusters of stars like the mock up I drew.

People have strong preferences for maps and poo poo and it adds a ton of replay value. Civ series has generally been pretty good at giving people lots of map settings. Now that stellaris is more focused on "terrain" I hope we also get a lot more fine-tuning how that terrain is generated.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

Feudal realm requires a monarchy, right? So you miss out on a lot of influence from mandates, and from parliamentary system later on. Might still be better, of course. I've never tried it with feudal realm.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AriadneThread posted:

galactic core explosion

That would be cool. A non-combat challenge, like needing to relocate singularities into the galactic core.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

chippocrates posted:

Do you not have to have gone for biological ascendancy to do that?

Not that I remember, and the wiki agrees. You won't be able to add the super traits or remove positive traits though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Staltran posted:

Feudal realm requires a monarchy, right? So you miss out on a lot of influence from mandates, and from parliamentary system later on. Might still be better, of course. I've never tried it with feudal realm.

Imperial, not monarchy, but yes.

I'm expanding slower in raw area than the usual OPS, but the area claimed by my vassals helps with that.

And just before bed last night I found a ruined dyson sphere just outside my borders and was able to claim it. Once I rebuild it, I'll be able to re-spec my planets mostly for minerals rather than mostly for energy. I used the plural because picked up a second planet (right next to my homeworld) through an event chain at about the same time. I didn't want to release it or trade it to my other neighbor vassal, since it would cut my territory in half, so I guess now it's a two-planet game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

chippocrates posted:

Do you not have to have gone for biological ascendancy to do that?
Only for the second bit. You can buy off negative traits whenever.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

More new stuff:

https://twitter.com/omfgblondie/status/952849403236274177

Pink traits? Post-Apocaliptic? Survivor?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

canepazzo posted:

More new stuff:

https://twitter.com/omfgblondie/status/952849403236274177

Pink traits? Post-Apocaliptic? Survivor?

seems like they listened to the requests for a separate section for starting planet traits

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Post-apocalytic is still a civic though.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Okay now we need bioships that use food for maintenance. Also baronjutter's cluster idea is A+, we need that too Mr. Wiz

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Baronjutter posted:

Something like this

this is generally what spiral galaxies look like with hyperlanes already and it'll probably look like that on standard settings; i think the purpose of those shots is just demonstrating the extremes of the new hyperlane connectivity slider, not actual "this is what it'll always look like" stuff

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

President Ark posted:

this is generally what spiral galaxies look like with hyperlanes already and it'll probably look like that on standard settings; i think the purpose of those shots is just demonstrating the extremes of the new hyperlane connectivity slider, not actual "this is what it'll always look like" stuff

I'll just never not use any situation to pipe in with "more sliders/options!" as a blanket suggestion for every topic.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Actually I've found hyperlanes on elliptical galaxies make better "continent" maps. Even in the current settings there tend to be random gulfs here and there arbitrarily creating barriers and clusters. It's pretty nice.

I'd totally be down for a galaxy generation option that plays up that aspect though.

I also badly want Magelenic Clouds that are guaranteed to have at least one wormhole linking them to the main galaxy. Or heck, maps that are straight up multiple galaxies with a number of wormholes linking them. I love the concept of "continents" in games like these and the excitement of reaching whole new worlds in the mid game.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Random toggles too, I love that poo poo.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Eiba posted:

I also badly want Magelenic Clouds that are guaranteed to have at least one wormhole linking them to the main galaxy. Or heck, maps that are straight up multiple galaxies with a number of wormholes linking them. I love the concept of "continents" in games like these and the excitement of reaching whole new worlds in the mid game.

okay yeah that'd be pretty loving rad, put this in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eiba posted:

Actually I've found hyperlanes on elliptical galaxies make better "continent" maps. Even in the current settings there tend to be random gulfs here and there arbitrarily creating barriers and clusters. It's pretty nice.

I'd totally be down for a galaxy generation option that plays up that aspect though.

More galaxy types would be one of my favorite additions to the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

More sliders. Sliders!!!!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eiba posted:

Or heck, maps that are straight up multiple galaxies with a number of wormholes linking them. I love the concept of "continents" in games like these and the excitement of reaching whole new worlds in the mid game.
That would be amazing. Take over your own galaxy, start trying to push into another galaxy through a tiny funnel with the entire might of your empire behind it.

Or finding your galaxy is the exit funnel for a fanatic purifier, whichever.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Splicer posted:

That would be amazing. Take over your own galaxy, start trying to push into another galaxy through a tiny funnel with the entire might of your empire behind it.

We shall defend our galaxy, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight at the wormhole, we shall fight at the hyperlane entrances, we shall fight in orbit, we shall fight in our space stations and in our skies, we shall fight in our cities; we shall never surrender.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Having to station a permanent defensive fleet against the Symbiot menace would be great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aethernet posted:

Having to station a permanent defensive fleet against the Symbiot menace would be great.

God I want a new emperor of the fading suns so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Baronjutter posted:

More sliders. Sliders!!!!

What we need now to complete the set is a togglable gem in the central region of the screen that does absolutely nothing...

Or everything?

No it does nothing

• Locked thread