Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The advertising for Van Helsing is really misleading.

It's all Resident Evil movie-esque action poses with swords and guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aphrodite posted:

The advertising for Van Helsing is really misleading.

It's all Resident Evil movie-esque action poses with swords and guns.

I finally saw the episode where your profile pic is from and I finally know what she is saying. Thanks, that's my story.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreenNight posted:

I finally saw the episode where your profile pic is from and I finally know what she is saying. Thanks, that's my story.

You're a good person for figuring that out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

On that note:

https://twitter.com/RaySiegel/status/952399300687953921

A few people have noted that it's likely not the first story that's going to come out about Aziz either.

Welp.

So I've been sans Netflix for most of 2017. Caught up with Death Note and Dear White People which I found to be both delightful. What else did I miss in the legendarily bad year of 2017 on the plaform?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Welp.

So I've been sans Netflix for most of 2017. Caught up with Death Note and Dear White People which I found to be both delightful. What else did I miss in the legendarily bad year of 2017 on the plaform?
Master of None

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Glow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vegetable posted:

Master of None

I wonder how long Netflix will keep this show up on their service.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

American Vandal, Better Call Saul, Kimmy Schmidt, GLOW, Stranger Things 2, Mindhunter, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Punisher, BoJack, MST3K Season 11, American Crime Story: People v. OJ, The Crown, Atypical...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yeah feel vaguely gross about watching S2, esp since S1 was only okay (huh, let's not examine that.....)

But glow sounds cool, gonna hit that up. Keep them coming, also any movies would be aces.

edit: ^^^ Thx! Seen a few of them, but excited to dive in on the others.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't forget Santa Clarita Diet.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

bull3964 posted:

Don't forget Santa Clarita Diet.
He didn't miss it, he dodged that bullet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

He didn't miss it, he dodged that bullet.

It's an extremely fun show. Worth a watch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, SCD is solid. But GLOW is a can't-miss.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQh36eStMqk

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GreenNight posted:

That's why I didn't put the caption, it's funnier that way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Santa Clarita Diet is something I watched all of but had literally escaped my memory entirely until I just saw its name mentioned. It was just that memorable!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Now that Rarity's 2017 TV poll is over, what would people consider their all-time greatest and/or favorite shows? I was thinking about it and made a list of my favorites. I can't rank dramas and comedies on the same list, though.

Top Ten Dramas:
1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. Deadwood
4. Game of Thrones (we'll see how it ends, though)
5. Twin Peaks
6. LOST
7. Hannibal
8. Justified
9. Person of Interest
10. Better Call Saul

Top Ten Comedies (this was much harder for me, since I often lose interest and quit watching comedies before they're over):
1. Arrested Development
2. Parks and Recreation
3. 30 Rock
4. The Venture Bros.
5. Childrens Hospital
6. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
7. Louie (I know, I know)
8. Master of None
9. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (just based on the first season; I loved it that much)
10. Comedy Bang Bang

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Blacklist is so full of wasted potential. A procedural about James Spader playing basically Moriarty who teams up with the FBI to catch all his criminal contacts while working his own angle should be can't-miss. But everyone in the show is quadruple crossing everyone all the time, which kinda means at some point you have diminishing returns on twists, and it only takes like 2 episodes for things like disobeying direct orders, divulging classified information to a known criminal, beating the poo poo out of someone in interrogation, keeping someone locked in your basement and torturing them for 100+ days, etc. to just be shrugged off by the FBI higher-ups. As long as they sort of stop the bad guys no one ever gets punished for anything.

Basically this show would be great if it wasn't for all the stupid spy poo poo in it.

Oh, and Megan Boone is terrible. Whenever she has a scene where her character is supposed to be angry or tough or doing something morally questionable, she just comes across like a teenager pretending to be an adult.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Sepinwall put together a list of 10 great ER episodes if people want to relive it. Reading it reminded me of how good that show was.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/er-hulu-10-episodes-george-clooney-hell-and-high-water-blizzard/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Welp.

The Punisher (Yes an actually good Marvel show for the first time in years), She's Gotta Have It (one of the weirdest shows of the year), A-typical (cute show), Ozark (Arrested Development, the drama take), etc.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I posted the link about the Aziz story on my Facebook and then a couple people I know came to his defense and said the girl was full of poo poo and was asking for it and was abused intentionally for fame and money and to ruin Aziz's career.

I really loving hate some of the people I know.

the "unfriend" and "block" features exist for a reason, and you are not less of a person for using them.

precision posted:

let's face it, sex is gross and ugly

i'm not being ironic, or kidding, and i'm also not saying my wife and i don't have sex, i'm just saying... sex is gross and ugly and weird even when you're doing it right

sex is actually fun and awesome in every way and it sounds like you have some issues to work through

Rhyno posted:

Also if Donald Glover is outed as a monster I will blow this motherfucker up.

You mean, notorious Bro Rapist Donald Glover?

Rhyno posted:

It's got top billing right now, because of the Golden Globes win.
Considering how long they took to deal with Danny Masterson, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to disappear.
Kinda sucks since it is a legit good show but I don't think I'm ever gonna watch it again.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Now that Rarity's 2017 TV poll is over, what would people consider their all-time greatest and/or favorite shows? I was thinking about it and made a list of my favorites. I

As you can tell nothing original (but how can you not have shows like The Wire in your top 5 outside unless you never watched it). While this is mostly the greatest, the last 3 shows are more favorites than greatest. I feel like I am forgetting a few shows I really like (I can't believe SFU made my list), but I am trying to do this just off the top of my head. I am sure later I will regret making the back half of this list.

1 - The Wire
2 - The Sopranos
3 - Mad Men
4 - Breaking Bad
5 - Deadwood
6 - Halt & Catch Fire
7 - MASH
8 - Battlestar Galactica
9 - LOST
10 - Six Feet Under?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, SCD is solid. But GLOW is a can't-miss.

Maybe it was my low expectations, but I also thought SCD was solid. Also I thought they did a great job of handling the kids in the show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 15, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

Kinda sucks since it is a legit good show but I don't think I'm ever gonna watch it again.

I still hate Kevin Spacey for ruining Baby Driver for me

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

I still hate Kevin Spacey for ruining Baby Driver for me

In the case of Baby Driver, you can still enjoy it since he gets owned by a car in the final act.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Now that Rarity's 2017 TV poll is over, what would people consider their all-time greatest and/or favorite shows?

I'm not sure I could rank them, but immediately off the top of my head:

Homicide: Life on the Street (that one's the clear-cut number one, full stop)
Law & Order
Seinfeld
Frasier
30 Rock
Parks & Rec
ER (first eight seasons far outweigh the miasma of poo poo that followed)
Battlestar Galactica
Breaking Bad
The Muppet Show

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Timby posted:

I'm not sure I could rank them, but immediately off the top of my head:

Homicide: Life on the Street (that one's the clear-cut number one, full stop)

But no The Wire?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nate fisher posted:

But no The Wire?

I enjoy The Wire and think it has some very memorable characters and episodes, but Andre Braugher, Kyle Secor, Melissa Leo and Yaphet Kotto out-act all of them.

I also appreciate Homicide for showing much more of Baltimore City and the County, whereas The Wire mostly lived in the western part of the city (which had a lot of goobers saying "Baltimore's such a shithole lollllllll" after watching the show).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rhyno posted:

They don't actually remove their own originals (maybe they would if someone was the Jimmy Saville of their day, I dunno?). They probably just won't highlight it on the front page or make any more (and he already said he wasn't planning to make a third series for a long time, if ever).

They didn't even cancel House of Cards for crying out loud.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The average American has probably never heard of Master of None

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Santa Clarita Diet is something I watched all of but had literally escaped my memory entirely until I just saw its name mentioned. It was just that memorable!

Its problem is its perfectly delightful but then once it finally starts to get kind of meaty the season just ends unresolved like theres a bunch of episodes missing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Its problem is its perfectly delightful but then once it finally starts to get kind of meaty the season just ends unresolved like theres a bunch of episodes missing.

Santa Clarita Diet takes a good cast, a novel premise and a few good opening episodes and proceeds to poo poo-all with them. It's like a reverse Bojack Horseman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I just ended up walking away feeling like they came up with the idea, cast the show... and then stopped. They never seemed to actually figure out where to go with it so they just filmed the first act of the story and then stopped.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know about my greatest of all time, but I'm a sitcom nerd, so my top five are all sitcoms. Descending order:

30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Arrested Development
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Community

Good Place is getting up there, though, this season has been insanely strong. Others I liked a lot in no order: Apartment 23, Venture Bros., Bob's Burgers, Great News, Difficult People, Fresh Off the Boat, Bojack Horseman(?)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The best shows of all time are:

Dexter
Under the Dome
Containment
Marvel's Inhumans
I want to say... The Flash?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MiddleOne posted:

Dexter
Under the Dome
Containment
Marvel's Inhumans

What, no Heroes?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

What, no Heroes?

I knew I was forgetting something

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

Dexter
Under the Dome
Containment
Marvel's Inhumans

I think you mean Weeds instead of The Flash.

Leading with Dexter gives it away. That said I liked Dexter until surprise motherfucker Doakes died. The Trinity Killer arc was fine, but the show was never the same again to me. Of course it got really bad in the end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Challenge mode: best shows of all time by decade.

And you have to tag whether you've seen at least five episodes of your pick directly or just looked up things you've heard were good/culturally absorbed without actual exposure.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

McSpanky posted:

Challenge mode: best shows of all time by decade.

That would be tough, because many of the shows I liked during the 80’s don’t hold up.

That said Wiseguy is the best show of the 80’s and it was my introduction to serialized television. Before 2017 it got bonus points for also introducing the world to Kevin Spacey.

70’s is MASH for me.

90’s would be X-Files with STNG coming up second.

2000’s and 2010’s just see my best of list.

And I don’t have time for the second part of your request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw an interview with James Gandolfini and I'm blown away that his Tony Soprano accent is fake. He just sounds like... a normal dude?