Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I remember when I was just getting started watching sumo it felt like knowing about the stables was arcane, but now I know the big players and am familiar with most of the significant stables and their rikishi. Now I wanna learn to recognize all the gyoji and their styles. I feel like the long-term goal is to know all the yobidashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kenning posted:

I remember when I was just getting started watching sumo it felt like knowing about the stables was arcane, but now I know the big players and am familiar with most of the significant stables and their rikishi. Now I wanna learn to recognize all the gyoji and their styles. I feel like the long-term goal is to know all the yobidashi.

Galaxy brain: picking which tokoyama did which mage on the dohyo.

Seriously though. its crazy how much depth there is behind the scenes in sumo - a couple of years ago, they had a spotlight during the broadcast on the 90-year old dude who hand spins the white string that the tokoyama use to tie the rikishi 's mages in place.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I always enjoy when Hakuho bouts aren't over with a huge overwhelming show of force. I don't like the guy but I don't mind when he wins as long as it's entertaining and I rarely find quick overwhelming bouts fun unless it's ma boi Takayasu

I'm really happy for Ishiura. Tiny man is holding his own for now. We'll see if he's batting above his level or not soon, I guess.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSUHYdE2pr8

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

All of the Y/O matchups were fantastic after a slow start to the day.

I wonder how many people outside of Japan drafted Kakuryu this round, because based on the trickle of news I've gotten I would never have thought that he was 100% again. Talk about a sleeper pick that's already off to a strong start. Especially with Hakuho abandoning the slap-n-grab this basho, this is going to be an exciting basho.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Kakuryu is looking better than Hakuho. Could this be a rare non-hakuho basho?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Amazing what having everyone healthy can do for a basho's competitiveness (apart from Terunofuji :( )

My boy Tochinoshin looking strong, and nice to see Kakuryu in Yokozuna form. I would laugh heartily if he outlasts Kisenosato as Yokozuna.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Amazing what having everyone healthy can do for a basho's competitiveness (apart from Terunofuji :( )

My boy Tochinoshin looking strong, and nice to see Kakuryu in Yokozuna form. I would laugh heartily if he outlasts Kisenosato as Yokozuna.

Man no kidding about Tochinoshin. He is looking leaner and more muscular than he has all last year. He is going to body some dudes

Speaking of muscly dudes, Ishiura put on some weight and is looking good too.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

Man no kidding about Tochinoshin. He is looking leaner and more muscular than he has all last year. He is going to body some dudes

Speaking of muscly dudes, Ishiura put on some weight and is looking good too.

I don't know why he never made Ozeki in his prime. He has the most impressive lower body perhaps in sumo history. He's immovable when he gets his legs wide and low.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

I don't know why he never made Ozeki in his prime. He has the most impressive lower body perhaps in sumo history. He's immovable when he gets his legs wide and low.

yea for a guy his height he keeps such a low center of gravity and becomes pretty immovable. I think injuries have just constantly dogged him, especially in his knees, which are the most important thing to his style.

I think if he can stay healthy, with the relative weakness of the K/S area of the rankings, he could make one more go at it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

I wonder how many people outside of Japan drafted Kakuryu this round, because based on the trickle of news I've gotten I would never have thought that he was 100% again. Talk about a sleeper pick that's already off to a strong start. Especially with Hakuho abandoning the slap-n-grab this basho, this is going to be an exciting basho.

He performed rather well at the YDC soken - he was 13-1 over Onosho, Mitakeumi, Kisenosato and Takayasu. Plus, Izutsu-oyakata was intimating a couple of months ago that if he couldn't perform during Hatsu, then maybe it'd be time to hang up the mage, so there's some motivation to do well there.

If he can hold off the S/K ranks (which is actually pretty fearsome this basho), he'll be pretty sweet. Yoshikaze today will be a test - I think this result will flavor the rest of his basho!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fluffdaddy posted:

yea for a guy his height he keeps such a low center of gravity and becomes pretty immovable. I think injuries have just constantly dogged him, especially in his knees, which are the most important thing to his style.

I think if he can stay healthy, with the relative weakness of the K/S area of the rankings, he could make one more go at it.

If he hadn't got injured and lost over a year getting promoted back up because of racism he might've made ozeki by now, but then he's had other injuries since so he might have lost it again as well. I'd love him to pull a Takayasu and get up there, and it's probably easier now with only 2 ozeki and 3 fragile yokozuna, especially with Harumafuji gone who always had the better of him.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is Ichinojo actually any good at sumo? He just seems super slow and lazy in the ring, but because he's so goddamn big, even Hakuho has trouble just moving him.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Go to Sumo Reference and watch his Aki 2014 bouts when he would have been a good 20-30 kgs lighter. He can actually wrestle.

Sadly, he got fat and is apparently a bit lazy - I've heard that's why Hakuho gave him that face push after their match at Nagoya 2015.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Man, 2014 Ichinojo is a completely different wrestler. I wonder what's actually in his head for why he seems so settled on bouncing around the rank and file, when he looked like someone who really could have been something.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

There needs to be this :capitalism: but "That's Sumo!" instead.

edit:

Quick and nasty

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 16, 2018

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Really enjoying the top half of action so far this basho, the S/K ranks are really dangerous, and the Y/O seem fairly healthy and very focused. Loved seeing Kisenosato fight for real!

Day 2 standings:

code:
Elissimpark	4
Fluffdaddy	5
Fryhtaning	3
Kenning		5
Martytoof	7
nyerf		6
ratmosphere	6
Rigel		8
sivad		5
Tsaedje		5

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh yeah, also, Terunofuji has withdrawn from the basho. That means Tsaedje should look at trading him out. As for trading in general, the following rikishi are unavailable for trades:

Hakuho
Takayasu
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji
Shodai
Endo
Ikioi
Tochiozan
Kaisei
Sokokurai
Abi
Ishiura

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vw9UpCNMQ0 Day 3 had some interesting results.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Jesus my top 3 guys are last place for their rank (again). Did I miss where Shodai and Onosho are dealing with injuries or am I just that unlucky?

Looks like the Kak is bak - zero danger of losing in all 3 of his bouts thus far. I don't see anyone short of the couple of goonrikishi challenging him at this point.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kenning posted:

Oh yeah, also, Terunofuji has withdrawn from the basho. That means Tsaedje should look at trading him out. As for trading in general, the following rikishi are unavailable for trades:

Hakuho
Takayasu
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji
Shodai
Endo
Ikioi
Tochiozan
Kaisei
Sokokurai
Abi
Ishiura

I'll swap him for Aminiskiki

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Jesus my top 3 guys are last place for their rank (again). Did I miss where Shodai and Onosho are dealing with injuries or am I just that unlucky?

Looks like the Kak is bak - zero danger of losing in all 3 of his bouts thus far. I don't see anyone short of the couple of goonrikishi challenging him at this point.

Yea we got the same top 2 and both of them are looking ROUGH.

My only solace is that Endou got Henka'd. I also though this was the perfect area for Ikioi to get some wins, but he has just been getting bullied after his super strong tachiai

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sorry I missed the fat man draft but I'm having fun watching the tourney as it comes through.

Also, professional sumo can't go a month without a scandal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What a fun tournament only 3 days in! Shaping up to be more interesting than November.
Hakuho looking human in a bout, Ishiura doing some work. Too bad Kise forgot how to sumo. How long until we're down to two Yokozuna?

Also saw this in a YT comment:

quote:

Hakuho was accused for his rough Tachiai after Nov. basho. They said Hakuho used "his style of Harite and Kachiage" for 12 bouts out of the 15. He has been refraining from using those violent Tachiai techniques atm and that gives him a sort of handicap this basho. It could be a reason he lost today.

* his style of Harite =using the inside of a clenched fist with full power rather than gentle palm slap. Remember Tamawashi tried to escape from Hakuho's fist attack last basho and was lost after loosing his balance?

** his style of Kachiage=using the elbow rather than the forearm. Somebody pointed it out correctly in his comment in Nov.

Is this a thing that happened? I'm trying to grasp how official this would be if it were true.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 16, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's an image a Yokozuna is expected to live up to. Relying on slightly underhanded techniques is seen as something a Yokozuna shouldn't have to do, so it's not officially "you must not do it" but, because Hakuho's actually said he's going to avoid it, he probably will refrain.

Harumafuji got a lot of stick for his tachiai (the "Harumafuji Non-Henka" as Kintamayama calls it) but he just kept doing it anyway.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Sorry I missed the fat man draft but I'm having fun watching the tourney as it comes through.

Also, professional sumo can't go a month without a scandal.

Luckily there's sumo every 2 months!

Super stoked on Hokutofuji getting a kinboshi on Hakuho. That's only the 17th kinboshi he's given out, which is an absurdly low number for someone who's been a yokozuna for over 10 years.

Day 3 standings:

code:
Elissimpark	10
Fluffdaddy	6
Fryhtaning	5
Kenning		11
Martytoof	9
nyerf		7
ratmosphere	8
Rigel		10
sivad		8
Tsaedje		6

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hakuho looked beyond livid leaving the dohyo after that loss.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tochinoshin is looking really good this tournament. I'm hoping his knee holds up. Onosho is looking exactly like he did last tournament, where is seems like he's trying way too hard to finish off the high ranked guys, loses his balance and flops forward. Can he rack up 8 wins on the rank and file again after a terrible first week?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tochinoshin is an absolute monster. He should be ozeki for sure, I wish he knees would hold out. Onosho is so frustrating, cause he's clearly got a blistering attack but he needs to work on his poise. That's where Mitakeumi and Hokutofuji seem to be pulling ahead.

Two big things I wanna see this tournament: double-digits from Mitakeumi and at least a jun-yusho with 12 or 13 wins from Takayasu. The y/o ranks are gonna start looking sparse unless the next generation starts filling in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry if it was made clear somewhere but can I fantasy swap a rikishi anytime or only on injury/withdrawal?

If so, do I just look for any rikishi in his class or do I have to analyze who has him first?

Day Fooooour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMa7KX_0pKU

Feel like Tochinoshin/Takayasu was too close to call but I guess they didn't agree

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 17, 2018

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Martytoof posted:

If so, do I just look for any rikishi in his class or do I have to analyze who has him first?

You can always do a swapout, it just has a penalty beyond the first one (I think) and you lose your place in the waiver wire. As of the latest update, these are all the ones unavailable. Someone picked up Aminishiki since though, so I'm not sure if he's now tapped out. Doubtful since most of us picked the younger guys.

Kenning posted:

Hakuho
Takayasu
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji
Shodai
Endo
Ikioi
Tochiozan
Kaisei
Sokokurai
Abi
Ishiura

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Never seen Tochinoshin so explosive out of the tachiai before, since I have only been watching since 2016. He is definitely feeling it right now.

Kise.... yeesh. Guy was so solid for so long and its just a shame watching him fade so quickly.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
He just can't get back from his injury several months ago. I'm not sure how the association is handling his lack of results. When you look at his record, Kise had like... one good year- seven tournaments. March '16 to March '17 he went 87-18 in all matches including his first yusho which earned him his promotion. Before that he was solid at best with a bulk of 10 wins and a split of 11s or 9s. Hell, he went make-koshi back in 2014.

I've been spoiled by Hakuho, I guess. GOAT

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Kakuryu got this. Kaku yusho for sure.

Edit: Another thing I wanted to ask and forgot: Kintamayama mentions Terunofuji is out due to Diabetes. How bad is it? Do rikishi usually recover from diabetes after resting for two months or so or is it career ending?

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 17, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

No expert at all and diabetes can be very different from one case to the other, but it generally requires a lifestyle change that can be pretty at odds with the sort of bulking up sumo asks of a person.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

You can always do a swapout, it just has a penalty beyond the first one (I think) and you lose your place in the waiver wire. As of the latest update, these are all the ones unavailable. Someone picked up Aminishiki since though, so I'm not sure if he's now tapped out. Doubtful since most of us picked the younger guys.

OK thanks. I'll give Takekaze one more day to not be useless and then it's off to the bin.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

remusclaw posted:

No expert at all and diabetes can be very different from one case to the other, but it generally requires a lifestyle change that can be pretty at odds with the sort of bulking up sumo asks of a person.

Yeah, diabetes requires a strict diet to go along with medicine just to be able to live. Too many sugars in your diet and you die. Too few and you feel like dying. There's other stuff, too. I can't remember if starches are similarly bad.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
So is that it for Terunofuji?

I know rikishi fight through some ridiculous stuff like competing with torn ligaments and they seem to recover from anything after resting for one month or maybe two. I wonder how a rikishi would deal with diabetes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kanthulhu posted:

So is that it for Terunofuji?

I know rikishi fight through some ridiculous stuff like competing with torn ligaments and they seem to recover from anything after resting for one month or maybe two. I wonder how a rikishi would deal with diabetes.

It may be possible. There are athletes in other sports that compete while diabetic. They are all relatively trim people, though. The size a sumo wrestler has to be doesn't work very well with diabetes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving fantastic sumo today. This is shaping up to be a super exciting basho, even though it really sucks to see Kisenosato struggling so badly. Watching Kakuryu struggle to haul Ichinojo out of the ring was really funny. I also really like Abi's style so far: aggressive, mobile, really fun to watch. Really surprised there was no monoii on the Takayasu/Tochinoshin match, I'd thought Takayasu won it at first.

Day 4 standings:
code:
Elissimpark	13
Fluffdaddy	9
Fryhtaning	8
Kenning		12
Martytoof	11
nyerf		11
ratmosphere	8
Rigel		14
sivad		12
Tsaedje		10

Fryhtaning posted:

Yeah, sorry, I didn't do the whole post I usually do when there's a trade. These are the currently unavailable rikishi:

Hakuho
Takayasu
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji
Shodai
Endo
Ikioi
Tochiozan
Kaisei
Aminishiki
Sokokurai
Abi