Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3

TheFluff posted:

First, don't get the 7th gen i5 - I know the OP says to do it, but it's out of date. The 8th gen is the exact same price but has 50% more actual CPU (6-core vs 4-core). Still, with that kind of budget you have to cut some corners. The very nice $115 case is one such corner, and the aftermarket cooler to replace the stock one is another, but even then an i5 build is gonna land at $900 Canadian ish without Windows - you can get a grey market Windows 7 key that will work for installing Windows 10 for something like $25 off of a guy in SA-mart. Assuming you do get Windows that way (it does work and it's not really that shady), you get this for $925:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.99 @ PC-Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($165.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($105.99 @ PC-Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Windforce OC Video Card ($239.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Cougar - MG110 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ PC-Canada)
Total: $898.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-14 19:05 EST-0500

This is going to suffer from its lack of an SSD, though. You can save another $70 by stepping down to an i3-8100 but you're still not gonna get under $800. You might want to look at prebuilt or used alternatives, at least for some components.

that is SO helpful, thank you! will dig through ebay and local shops for some parts to get the cost down and swap in an SSD - thanks a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
My desktop is grossly out of date and starting to die on me so I'm putting together a parts list for a new machine. I've been out of the loop w/r/t PC components for a very long time so I'm not really sure what the best choices would be. It looks like the OP is a little bit out of date but I read through the last few pages and the quick pick parts list to put together something. I would appreciate any input you can offer to maybe trim down the price somewhat/get better performance without a significant difference in cost.

It looks like graphics cards are a bit of a nightmare right now but I can probably use my old card as a placeholder until I can find a 1060 for a reasonable price. My current machine is an i5-760 and a GTX 750 so literally anything would be a significant upgrade.

• What country are you in? Canada
  • What are you using the system for? Primarily gaming, occasionally video recording/encoding (from PC or capture card, encoding with ffmpeg), photoshop (hobby)
  • What's your budget? I'd like to avoid going over $2k including two new monitors
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1080p60 with high/ultra graphics

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.99 @ PC-Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($165.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($120.99 @ PC-Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($121.50 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($220.25 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($436.79) The local best buys occasionally stock this card but it's mostly here as a placeholder
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($144.99 @ PC-Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - B3 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.75 @ Vuugo)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1542.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-14 22:59 EST-0500

Additionally I know this isn't really the correct thread but if anyone has any recommendations for reasonably priced 21.5"-23" 1080p monitors I'd love to hear them

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

So, I am WAY past due for an upgrade. Since I am poor but want to play some games, I was looking at the AMD CPUs and feel that the 1700x will fit nicely. The problem is picking a motherboard. I keep looking at reviews and seeing tons of issues and have no idea what to go with. I would like to to be compatible with my secondary storage HDD, which is a slightly older (2010ish) WD Black 1TB and with my boot HDD, a 2011 or so WD Black 250GB. I am aware if they aren't SATA III there will be some bottlenecking, which isn't a big issue with the storage drive, and won't be an issue in the long term with the OS drive because I plan on getting an SSD eventually anyways.

Currently looking at this MSI board, but reviews seem mixed. I am not wedded to the AMD stuff, it's just that my budget is roughly $800 for motherboard/RAM/CPU/PSU.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, mostly just WoW and a very few upcoming games I may care about.
What's your budget? $800-1000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1600x900. High, no need for 60 FPS.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
GPU MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card
PSU Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I plan on reusing my old ATX case and my old optical drives for now and also adding the GPU at a later date and just running my old one until prices stabilize, so that's more of a placeholder at what I am looking at (unrelated but drat I should have bought a GPU last year before the crypto-craze really took off). Also, like I said, if Intel stuff is better for my needs I am not averse to going that route, it just appears a bit more expensive, and I've heard Intel is changing socket types soon and honestly, I did that nonsense last time and it locked me in for years due to funding so I have my worries there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pikachu posted:

Additionally I know this isn't really the correct thread but if anyone has any recommendations for reasonably priced 21.5"-23" 1080p monitors I'd love to hear them

Out of curiosity, since you mentioned wanting two monitors, obviously you want screen real estate. So is there a particular mounting/desk reason you're going for two tiny monitors? You don't save much in cost by staying small.

But besides that you're gimping yourself with only 8GB of 2400. 16GB of 3000 is a noticeable improvement. And again you're not saving much by underbuying on RAM.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 15, 2018

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

TheFluff posted:

The i5-8600K is quite overpriced even if you're intending to overclock it (it's $150 more than the i5-8400 for maybe 5-10% better performance at its stock clocks), so if you're not sure if you want to overclock, I'd strongly consider getting the i5-8400 instead. Even on an 8400, you can easily get the stock turbo clock on all cores at the same time with a Z370 motherboard (it's usually a BIOS option called "multi-core enhancement"). If you want it to be quiet and stock turbo is good enough for you, either the Cryorig H7 or Coolermaster 212 Evo are both better than the stock cooler. For stock turbo any Z370 motherboard is fine; the one you have is a decent mid-tier board that'll take you about as far as a single tower air cooler can go, if you do end up getting an unlocked CPU.

If you want your computer to be quiet though, you definitely want 5400rpm HDD's and you want as few of them as possible. I upgraded my rig recently and found that my pair of 2011 vintage 7200rpm Hitachi drives were louder than the fans at idle, even when they were just spinning and not seeking, and it was a more obnoxious kind of noise too. They needed replacing anyway so I actually ended up getting a NAS instead just to get spinning drives out of the computer completely.

As far as cases go: I have no experience with Nanoxia cases, but Fractal Design is generally the go-to option for cases that are quiet but don't sacrifice airflow completely (doing so is counterproductive anyway because you'll end up having to increase fan speed to keep cool, raising the noise level anyway). The Define C or Define R6 should both be good. I have a BeQuiet Dark Base 700, which is indeed very quiet, but it's also quite overpriced at MSRP and it does breathe a bit worse than I'd hoped. The other part of getting a quiet computer is buying decent case fans with a large PWM control range - the Corsair ML series is a good choice here. Two big fans (140mm if you can fit them) lazily spinning at a few hundred rpm are almost inaudible with a decent case and will provide enough airflow for light tasks. Tweak your fan curves in the BIOS for best effects.
Not sure if it was unclear or I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but I listed the CPU price as the price of the entire bundle including mobo (rather than trying to pick out the individual cost of each factoring in the bundle)--the 8600K itself at Micro Center is $250 (bundled with that mobo, ~$40 cheaper than buying both separate online), while the 8400 looks to be $200 (cheaper online)--so only $50 cheaper and less factoring in a more expensive non-bundled mobo (no Micro Center bundles for 8400).

Interesting--I think I'll stick my old HDD in there and see if I notice it, have an old laptop drive (came with 1TB 5400 RPM I swapped for an SSD immediately) I just have in an external enclosure I could stick in there.

Looking at cases more: maybe something newer is a good idea; seems like most of them a decent bit more though (especially given plenty don't come with the 2 front intake fans, just one and then buying one). Those Corsair ML fans sound neat, but probably a little more than I want to spend on fans.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The 1060 6GB is overkill for 1600x900. You'd be fine with a 1050 Ti. Also, I'd prioritize an SSD, the difference is huge. And SATA2 doesn't bottleneck HDDs, though it will bottleneck most SSDs.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Alpha Mayo posted:

The 1060 6GB is overkill for 1600x900. You'd be fine with a 1050 Ti. Also, I'd prioritize an SSD, the difference is huge. And SATA2 doesn't bottleneck HDDs, though it will bottleneck most SSDs.

It's my current drives that are SATA2, obviously I'll go with a SATA3 motherboard, I am just concerned about backwards compatibility with my current drives.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

bUm posted:

Not sure if it was unclear or I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but I listed the CPU price as the price of the entire bundle including mobo (rather than trying to pick out the individual cost of each factoring in the bundle)--the 8600K itself at Micro Center is $250 (bundled with that mobo, ~$40 cheaper than buying both separate online), while the 8400 looks to be $200 (cheaper online)--so only $50 cheaper and less factoring in a more expensive non-bundled mobo (no Micro Center bundles for 8400).

Interesting--I think I'll stick my old HDD in there and see if I notice it, have an old laptop drive (came with 1TB 5400 RPM I swapped for an SSD immediately) I just have in an external enclosure I could stick in there.

Looking at cases more: maybe something newer is a good idea; seems like most of them a decent bit more though (especially given plenty don't come with the 2 front intake fans, just one and then buying one). Those Corsair ML fans sound neat, but probably a little more than I want to spend on fans.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. Still, if you're not overclocking there's hardly any difference between the i5-8400 and the i5-8600K, provided you set the BIOS to allow stock turbo clocks on all cores at the same time - it's 4.0 vs 4.3 GHz in that case. Just putting that out there.

You don't have to get top of the line fans, but getting something PWM-controllable is definitely good - they tend to have a lower minimum speed so you can idle/do desktop work quieter. More expensive cases also tend to come with more and/or better fans; you don't really need to replace them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

Also, like I said, if Intel stuff is better for my needs I am not averse to going that route, it just appears a bit more expensive, and I've heard Intel is changing socket types soon and honestly, I did that nonsense last time and it locked me in for years due to funding so I have my worries there.

I've tried to check MSI site for memory QVL list, but cannot on mobile. Ryzen are fine CPUs for their price, but they like fast memory, and motherboards are picky about what they run on advertised speeds. If you're not in a hurry wait ~6 weeks for a launch of Ryzen refresh, and mostly newer motherboards with better memory support. Or you can snag older one for cheap.
I'm not sure what's the price difference between 1700X and 1700, but most people advise to not overpay. Also you get a mediocre CPU cooler with non-X version.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Coming here to thank this thread that managed to convince me (at the time when i was building a tower) not delve into Intel CPU but rather go for a less highly praised AMD

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

alex314 posted:

I've tried to check MSI site for memory QVL list, but cannot on mobile. Ryzen are fine CPUs for their price, but they like fast memory, and motherboards are picky about what they run on advertised speeds. If you're not in a hurry wait ~6 weeks for a launch of Ryzen refresh, and mostly newer motherboards with better memory support. Or you can snag older one for cheap.
I'm not sure what's the price difference between 1700X and 1700, but most people advise to not overpay. Also you get a mediocre CPU cooler with non-X version.

Thanks. I should have said that I plan on building this thing like, at least 3 months out from now if not longer.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

thechosenone posted:

So from what I can tell, the market for pc parts is just bananas these days in terms of pricing, so I'm wondering if it is just better to get a prebuilt if I want to get a new computer this year? Is there a particular place or places I could go to for this?

Yeah I wanna know if it's still worth attempting to build a new rig is instead of grabbing a prebuilt as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah I wanna know if it's still worth attempting to build a new rig is instead of grabbing a prebuilt as well.

Grab a prebuilt before the increased pricing starts to trickle into that market as well. Microcenter has some nice PCs for the price.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Leaning towards prebuilt as well. That $1323 Dell even with a small EPP or 5% cash back via Amazon is such a steal.

E: Unless there's a way for me to see what brands of parts are being put into the pre-builts at MicroCenter?

E2: I'm so into that Dell pre-built because it's Dell and if literally anything were to go wrong I feel like they'd be fairly helpful about replacing or serving it without many questions asked.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 15, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Microcenter near me has a Ryzen 1700X, 1070 Ti, 16GB RAM and 480GB SSD desktop for $1150. They are definitely worth checking out.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Alpha Mayo posted:

Microcenter near me has a Ryzen 1700X, 1070 Ti, 16GB RAM and 480GB SSD desktop for $1150. They are definitely worth checking out.

Does their in-store offering differ greatly from online?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alpha Mayo posted:

That sounds nice

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Holy piss RAM prices potentially going down finally!

http://www.pcgamer.com/memory-chip-price-drop-could-lead-to-cheaper-ram-in-2018/

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Does their in-store offering differ greatly from online?

Yeah. All of their deals are in store only.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

China just told the DRAM cartel to knock it the gently caress off or they'll bring up a bunch more factories and crash prices, a few weeks later and oh look I guess RAM prices are starting to go back down! Magic!

https://www.china.org.cn/business/2017-12/23/content_50157479.htm

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/261330-china-investigating-higher-nand-prices-potential-price-fixing

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/21/china_memory_insource/

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Am I crazy or is it literally impossible to find a 1070 or 1080 for under $800 at the moment?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Am I crazy or is it literally impossible to find a 1070 or 1080 for under $800 at the moment?

You are not crazy.

No one even knows the reason why, internet completely empty of theories or explanations.

Mystery.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Sure, my post was dumb and bad I guess? But what I'm saying is I looked at cards around Thanksgiving or a bit earlier and a 1070 could be had for about $500? Could easily log onto Amazon and get a Prime'd card for $550 or at a brick and mortar BB for at the most $600. I guess more of a question is when did this massive jump happen?

Like, there's literally no stock anywhere from where I've checked.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sure, my post was dumb and bad I guess? But what I'm saying is I looked at cards around Thanksgiving or a bit earlier and a 1070 could be had for about $500? Could easily log onto Amazon and get a Prime'd card for $550 or at a brick and mortar BB for at the most $600. I guess more of a question is when did this massive jump happen?

Like, there's literally no stock anywhere from where I've checked.

Cryptocurrency miners are buying all the GPUs. If you look at ebay you can see closed transactions where people are paying more than $600 for used 1070s. Prebuilt PCs are the best option by far right now.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If I were building a new PC right now during this god awful hellpocalypse era of cryptominers I'd just go buy a Corsair One. I'm glad I built my Ryzen + 1080 Ti set up like a month or two just before everything went apeshit.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Cryptocurrency miners are buying all the GPUs. If you look at ebay you can see closed transactions where people are paying more than $600 for used 1070s. Prebuilt PCs are the best option by far right now.

Guess I'm gonna need some suggestions. :sigh:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Wirth1000 posted:

If I were building a new PC right now during this god awful hellpocalypse era of cryptominers I'd just go buy a Corsair One. I'm glad I built my Ryzen + 1080 Ti set up like a month or two just before everything went apeshit.

The Corsair One is gorgeous. I'd buy the 1070 model in a heartbeat but I couldn't find it last I looked.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If you look in the past 2-3 pages there examples of a Dell and a microcenter prebuilt that are good deals.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

If you look in the past 2-3 pages there examples of a Dell and a microcenter prebuilt that are good deals.

Thanks friendo

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Lawman 0 posted:

Guess I'm gonna need some suggestions. :sigh:

I'm debating between https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jJd2KZ + a graphics card and these pre-builts for anyone around the $1300-1500 or so budget..

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop
http://www.microcenter.com/product/488859/CodexXE062US_Desktop_Computer

And maybe if I can find the $1800 version (no luck yet)

Corsair One: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/one

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Also nowinstock.net . If you are patient you can still snag cards for MSRP. I'd buy them up myself to resell on eBay but that is a dick move.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...p?skuId=6155309

$1700 for a 1080 + 8700 but it's Alienware :smith:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a difference in using HDMI as opposed to DisplayPort? I've got both on the video card I bought for my build but noticed I occasionally have the screen go black for a second or two and then back on with my HDMI cables. Also noticed I had to unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable every so often.

My monitors can't do 120hz so I assumed DisplayPort was pointless. But I'm wondering if it provides a better connection to the monitors than HDMI does. Or if it's just a cheap, loose HDMI cable causing the issues. This is my first time having a really nice new GPU that has two HDMI ports and two DisplayPorts options in back.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a brand of HDMI/DisplayPort cables? I used to just buy the cheapest stuff (which might be the problem).

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

Define gaming chair? Those faux racing buckets? Or just something that's comfortable for long sessions?

I love my IKEA Markus chair. Sit my rear end in it for hours at a time.

Thank you for your advice!

Yeah, I think just something that is comfortable for long gaming sessions in front of a desk and monitor would be ideal. I'll Google the IKEA Markus. Thanks again!

And if anyone else has any suggestions for a comfortable chair for gaming, please chime in! :)

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 16, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also I really like these suggestions and I'm glad you gave me them. :)
Are there any other prebuilts people are suggesting right now?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I was mistaken on the Microcenter PC, it is a non-X Ryzen and a 1070 non-Ti.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/477352/G700_Desktop_Computer

I still think it is a pretty good deal.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Are the bitcoin cunts making graphics card prices go up this bad or what? I got a 1060 6gb for like $280 a year or two ago and now they're like 500. WHat the poo poo?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

vandalism posted:

Are the bitcoin cunts making graphics card prices go up this bad or what? I got a 1060 6gb for like $280 a year or two ago and now they're like 500. WHat the poo poo?

Yes, exactly that. Though technically not Bitcoin, but other, newer crypto coins where GPU mining is still "profitable".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

vandalism posted:

Miners, plus both stores and NVIDIA were winding down their orders in anticipation of Ampere launching soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I should really sell my 1070 now while the demand's high, huh? I don't really do any PC gaming anymore. Haven't for a while. For games I've just been using my PS4 Pro exclusively.