Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I feel like my app is pretty much complete, but I have one question.

My spell that hits an enemy's heart like thrown glass doesn't list where its deadly (in the yard, at range, etc.)

Do I just not get that? Or did I miss where it says?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yeah, the thrown glass spell is just universally 2-harm, ignores armor. Generally, if a weapon has a special quality like +1 to roll or Ignores Armor, it doesn't come with a range where it does 3-harm.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tricky posted:

Yeah, the thrown glass spell is just universally 2-harm, ignores armor. Generally, if a weapon has a special quality like +1 to roll or Ignores Armor, it doesn't come with a range where it does 3-harm.

Ok, I just wasn't sure if I missed something.

Also, how does the gm feel about reflavoring?
No mechanical change, just want to describe a couple spells differently.

Like "hurls a bolt of inky blackness(thrown ignores armor)" instead of "hits an enemy heart like shards of glass (thrown ignore armor)" as an example.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Error 404 posted:

Ok, I just wasn't sure if I missed something.

Like "hurls a bolt of inky blackness(thrown ignores armor)" instead of "hits an enemy heart like shards of glass (thrown ignore armor)" as an example.

Yeah, I'm thinking about reflavoring my armor as the "ancient ur-silks" entering an armor-like state where they stiffen and become hard as metal, wrap around and yank away incoming attacks, etc.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Error 404 posted:

I feel like my app is pretty much complete, but I have one question.

My spell that hits an enemy's heart like thrown glass doesn't list where its deadly (in the yard, at range, etc.)

Do I just not get that? Or did I miss where it says?

Tricky posted:

Correct, specifically this bit in the rules:

pre:
• If you’re fighting armed, but not when or where your weapon is deadly, you inflict 2 harm.
• If you’re fighting when or where your weapon is deadly, you inflict 3 harm.
The thrown glass spell is a weapon, but it doesn't have a deadly range. As a result it is always 2-harm. On the plus side, it does get the "thrown" and "ignores armor" tags.

Error 404 posted:

I'm fine with reflavoring so long as you run it past me first. In this case, I don't see why the spell can't be a bolt of inky blackness that hits an enemy heart like shards of glass, so that's totally fine.

LogicNinja posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking about reflavoring my armor as the "ancient ur-silks" entering an armor-like state where they stiffen and become hard as metal, wrap around and yank away incoming attacks, etc.

This one on the other hand I'm a bit more concerned about, mainly because I'd be afraid that this would imply some supernatural abilities in the armor that aren't otherwise there. I'm fine with ancient ur-silks that stiffen and become hard as metal, but I'd prefer to not have them be a reactive thing that could snatch a sword mid-swing or trip an opponent or whatever.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

quiggy posted:

This one on the other hand I'm a bit more concerned about, mainly because I'd be afraid that this would imply some supernatural abilities in the armor that aren't otherwise there. I'm fine with ancient ur-silks that stiffen and become hard as metal, but I'd prefer to not have them be a reactive thing that could snatch a sword mid-swing or trip an opponent or whatever.
Sure, I can keep it to them having an 'armor' setting in which they're less flexible but turn blades. Just though it would be stylish to have the cloth moving like a living thing, batting at spearpoints and rising up to cushion the impact of maces and so on. Not looking for any narrative capabilities that an armored warrior doesn't already have.

For my thrown glass spell, I was hoping to reflavor it as something connected to her forceful presence--a spear of force that manifests in her gaze, or a crushing pressure from above (accompanied by the sound of hundreds of distant beating wings--I'll have to think about which bird in particular is metaphorically or symbologically appropriate for her).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LogicNinja posted:

Sure, I can keep it to them having an 'armor' setting in which they're less flexible but turn blades. Just though it would be stylish to have the cloth moving like a living thing, batting at spearpoints and rising up to cushion the impact of maces and so on. Not looking for any narrative capabilities that an armored warrior doesn't already have.

For my thrown glass spell, I was hoping to reflavor it as something connected to her forceful presence--a spear of force that manifests in her gaze, or a crushing pressure from above (accompanied by the sound of hundreds of distant beating wings--I'll have to think about which bird in particular is metaphorically or symbologically appropriate for her).

I'm fine with both of these.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

More questions! Reminder to anyone still hesitating and also to The Lady in Grey and Attia that if your bios and playbooks are not posted by midnight tonight I will not be considering you for the game.

Siroko, the Seventh Thunder

Among the other Thunders, there was one in particular you loved more than any other, and whose betrayal hurt far more than the others. Who were they, have you found them yet here, and why do you think they joined the conspiracy against you?

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

Some time ago, a man brought a woman before you with an interesting charge. They had come from the same realm, and in the past life had been married to another, but when he died and came here, he found that she had married another. He wished to see her found guilty of adultery. What were their names, in whose favor did you rule, and what punishment did you hand down if any?

Hades

You come from a land of spires and towers, yet now cloister yourself with your followers deep below the earth. Why did you choose such a different place to make your home in this land, and how do you feed the mouths of the twenty or so souls that live in this subterranean place with you?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I don't think I will be finishing my app. I've been having a hard time actually getting her to come together as a coherent character that fits what I want

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Takanago posted:

I don't think I will be finishing my app. I've been having a hard time actually getting her to come together as a coherent character that fits what I want

That's a bummer to hear, but poo poo happens. Thanks for letting me know :)

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I think I'm going to drop, too, unfortunately. Nothing is really coming together, and I'm blanking on my app.

Have fun with the game, y'all~

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

quiggy posted:

Hades
You come from a land of spires and towers, yet now cloister yourself with your followers deep below the earth. Why did you choose such a different place to make your home in this land, and how do you feed the mouths of the twenty or so souls that live in this subterranean place with you?

Towers and spires reach into the sky so that warlords and tyrants may look down upon the hellish kingdoms they have spawned. We burrow into the earth like the bones of the dead, for we are no better than those that came before us. Hadestown is a dark, wet, damp place. The mud is a womb from where our ideas are born and the longer that my acolytes spend in Hadestown, the more they regret the time they must spend out in the world above in the light.

As for feeding them, most of them feed themselves. They are members of the community and do as others do. They carve their lives in the land above and toil with all others. They are farmers and doctors and metal workers. Then by night they slink to Hadestown and revel with the rest of us. They are secretive and sneaky and hide in plain sight. Those who cannot afford to feed themselves in these bad times are fed by those few who have moments of excess. We are a community. We care for our own.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Qiggy - most of what I've written is a little disconnected from the day to day, e.g. I haven't established any NPCs or locations or anything to ask follow up questions about. Want me to do that?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LogicNinja posted:

Qiggy - most of what I've written is a little disconnected from the day to day, e.g. I haven't established any NPCs or locations or anything to ask follow up questions about. Want me to do that?

Nah don't worry about it. Play to find out what happens and all that jazz.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I believe that, barring any last-minute submissions, I've asked extra questions for every completed application. If this is not true please let me know so I can make sure you're included.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Submissions are closed! Waiting on answers to the extra questions from Siroko and Albrecht and then I'll make my picks!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
As a quick note, I picked seven mostly because I liked the sound of it; I'm fine with reducing the number if it would work betting for world building/MCing.

quiggy posted:

Siroko, the Seventh Thunder

Among the other Thunders, there was one in particular you loved more than any other, and whose betrayal hurt far more than the others. Who were they, have you found them yet here, and why do you think they joined the conspiracy against you?
No wound cut as deeply as this one, to find my own brother with his hand raised against me. Libekio, my own blood, my own flesh, as true as the very rock I stood upon, trained in war by the same hands that had trained me, who had bled and wept and fought beside me since before the beginning. What he was, I made him, as what I was, he made me.

Was it jealousy? That I was the forerunner and he always trailing behind? Had his mind been poisoned by the others with lies and deceptions, who turned his own virtue against him? Or did he see something in me that he feared in the end?

He I have not yet found, but I hear his name on the lips of the few I have met so far. Hear it with fear and awe. What he has become, I do not know. But I do know this: there must be a reckoning between us.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

As a quick note, I picked seven mostly because I liked the sound of it; I'm fine with reducing the number if it would work betting for world building/MCing.

Seven is just fine :)

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

quiggy posted:

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

Some time ago, a man brought a woman before you with an interesting charge. They had come from the same realm, and in the past life had been married to another, but when he died and came here, he found that she had married another. He wished to see her found guilty of adultery. What were their names, in whose favor did you rule, and what punishment did you hand down if any?

His name was Huckert Rudeheart, dead the spring before he came to my settlement.
His former wife, Falche, had joined us sometime the year before.
He wanted to continue the marriage, she and her new husband disagreed.
After one hell of a row they came to me for arbitration, and this is how I put it.
"How many people live here?
As of now, 170 people. Of them, more than half were somewhere else before they died.
How many of them left someone behind? A wife, a husband?
Should I judge them all for leaving them behind and starting a new life, in favour of someone they might never see again? An oath sworn on the other side of death?
If so, should we also count true oaths of fealty, or business?
It might feel lika a betrayal, but those vows, Huckert, were they unto death, or beyond?
Should either of you die again, and once more wake up someplace else, must you both then hold out a vain hope that you will be reunted once more, no matter the chance?
Did you not bury her, Huckert, and speak the words of passing?
That life died with her, and then with you.
I judge in favour of Falche and Kurim al Chevro.
No blood will be spilt, nor gold demanded over this matter, let it be known."

It took me quite a while to think that one through, but I think it struck home.
Could have been a dangerous percedent that, old hatreds and loyalties flaring up more than they already do.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Before I get to picks, I just wanna thank everyone for their submissions. I don't like having to turn some people away, so I just wanted to let you know that if I didn't pick you, it's not a value judgment of your character, and I'd love to see another submission from you if I end up running another game on the forums some day. Now that that's out of the way, here are my picks.

Siroko, the Seventh Thunder, played by Comrade Gorbash
Xíe, Who Walks Again, played by LogicNinja
Pentaviso, played by Captain Foo
"Drowned" Tikorn, played by Alehkhs
Albrecht Donnerfeldt, played by Sax Battler

These five, please do your histories and highlights while I set up the campaign proper. Everyone else, feel free to stick around and chat about the game in this thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pentaviso, the Nightshade

Which one of you is my friend?
Which one of you is my lover?
Which one of you is in love with me?

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 10, 2018

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Xíe, Who Walks Again, the Child of Battle

Which of you can I trust?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
"Drowned" Tikorn, Captain of the vessel Amphosie
  • Which one you were once on my crew?
  • Which one of you believes that you could outfight me, if it came to it?
  • Which one of you once stood up to me, my crew and all?

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 19, 2018

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Albrecht Donnefeldt the Strongholder

Which of you have been with me since before?
In this circumstance, it would probably mean before we settled down.

Have any of you ever betrayed or stolen from me?

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 18, 2018

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
"Drowned" Tikorn, Captain of the vessel Amphosie

Sax Battler posted:

Have any of you ever betrayed or stolen from me?

I heard you cursed the name Tikorn when I took the Amphosie from your docks, but she was just rotting there in the water anyways and I seem to recall Woyet and myself being shorted on a shipment or two...

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 18, 2018

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Sax Battler posted:

Which of you have been with me since before?
In this circumstance, it would probably mean before we settled down.

I come and go as I please; I am Xíe, Who Walks Again! No wall or bond can hold me or keep me in one place. But I walked your path a while before you settled down, and I keep returning to Broken Tooth.
I may compare you unfavorably to the great magistrates and judges of the Shining Kingdom, but I can't help but be impressed by you compared to most of the petty leaders of this dismal place, and I have decided to nurture Broken Tooth in the hopes that it could become something greater. I have led those in whom I see the spark of greatness to you, and I have shattered an enemy that threatened you--though my unchained might did some damage in the process.

Alehkhs posted:

[*]Which one of you once stood up to me, my crew and all?[/list]
Drowned Tikorn, will you ever forget the sight of me on your deck, looming like a storm? I claimed a token repayment for the Amphosie, and none of your men dared to come within reach of my blade. Only two of those who met my gaze dared to hold it--and they dream of me still.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Have a good game everybody!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pentaviso

Alehkhs posted:

[list][*]Which one you were once on my crew?

I sailed with you and your band for a short time, Captain. It was not a bad time in my fallen life, though I certainly never picked up a love for the sea. There was an exhilarating aspect to it all, and I certainly do not regret the time I spent on the Amphosie. Your crew had a certain edge about them that I've never quite found among those of us who live on land, and I remember you all warmly. Especially Trinei. Perhaps we'll see each other again soon?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Which one of you is my lover?

You have had the privilege of my bed every now and then, though never predictably, and though I have never slept beside you. There is something in you--a subtlety, a hidden deadliness--that makes me recall Ai Night's-Daughter, a sorceress of the Shining Kingdom I loved for many years.

It has been less and less often lately, though. You will need to do something dramatic, something grand, to keep my interest.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pentaviso

Ah, but the privilege is all yours...

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Albrecht

Captain Foo posted:

Which one of you is my friend?

More or less, anyway.
You've certainly livened up the place from time to time, and that's rare enough here.
You've got a place by the hearth when you want it. After all, a happy populus is one not spoiling for a fight.

LogicNinja posted:

I'd say me, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?
Either way, you've always done right by me, and I won't forget that.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Siroko, the Seventh Thunder, the Sword Master
Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me?

We stood together against a mad sorceror and his band of frothing barbarians.
I don't know who he was or what he was after, but if you had not been there, many of my band would not be here now.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

• Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me? Xíe, Who Walks Again
For that character, write history-2.

• Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me? Albrecht
For that character, write history+2.

• Which one of you is the prettiest and/or the smartest?
For that character, write history+3.

For everyone else, write history-1. You find no urgent need to understand most people.

Alehkhs posted:

"Drowned" Tikorn, Captain of the vessel Amphosie
[*]Which one of you believes that you could outfight me, if it came to it?
There's no one I can't outfight, not in this world or the last.

LogicNinja posted:

You can trust me. You may not like you hear or what you see, but you can trust it.

EDIT: Whoops, misread.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 19, 2018

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

• Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me?
It was a race against time, and each other, and many more, for a great treasure. You thought you could slip past my spear-staff, like you've done with so many others, and shoulder me off the narrow mountain path.
You were wrong, and you slipped in your own blood as I danced between the scarlet drops, and I did not look back. I knew a warrior like you could pick yourself up. I wonder--did you take that as the compliment it was?

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 19, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pentaviso

Comrade Gorbash posted:

There are few here who I can speak to without having to consider how I'm going to kill them.

I appreciate the danger I'm in when you are around, and I even more appreciate you not killing me, though I am sure you could without all that much difficulty. Friendly, yes, friends? That's a stretch, wouldn't you say?

That option was already taken!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Whoops, I missed that somehow. I'll pass on the last one then.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I think we're all done on that front, then. How does the stat highlighting work, exactly?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pentaviso

Albrecht, what about me has got your eye today?

LogicNinja posted:

I think we're all done on that front, then. How does the stat highlighting work, exactly?

whoever's got the highest Hx on your sheet / pick one if there's a tie

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

All right. Tikorn, pick me a highlighted stat.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 19, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Tikorn for me, unless someone wants to grab the prettiest/smartest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I'm not sure why Tikorn would have so many, since I only answered one question; Albrecht's. :confused:

For me, it will be Xíe. Tell me warrior, what did you discover in this man of the waves when stood aboard his ship?

• Locked thread