Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Does the training grounds still work for you?

Never finishes loading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Orv posted:

Never finishes loading.

Do other games still work for you? Any indications that something might have gone wrong with the computer like slow loading of windows, applications lagging etc.?

Orv
May 4, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Do other games still work for you? Any indications that something might have gone wrong with the computer like slow loading of windows, applications lagging etc.?

Yeah everything else was fine and a restart and modem cycle fixed it, so I'm not sure what really happened there. The fact that it happened without any kind of computer change, just one queue to the next, was what really threw me off.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

Sometimes people like to pilot different mechs. I love my Supernova far more than my Deathstrike.

You crazy!

Weissritter posted:

So with all the changes, LRMs are still worthless?

Yes, LRMs are still worthless.

Orv posted:

Never finishes loading.

Are running the game through Steam? Try verifying the integrity of the game files. You can also try running the game with the -safe and -autofonfig command lines to check if any of the game settings is the culprit.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hey, can we get some explanation in the OP why radar deprivation is good and how the operations tree is good if you have many heatsinks? We have a couple of brand new players that I think would benefit from understanding how important positioning is in this game. I also think some more in-depth explanations for true beginners would be nice. Do you have those pictures that show how to engage enemies and how much a simple positioning mistake could mean your entire lance gets wiped out?

By the way, you should really join the discord. The mumble is completely dead but discord is very much alive. Last I saw I think there were 50 MWO goons in there, it has really picked up since the winter events, really awesome to see all the new players!

Edit: Also if you feel like it, could you add some more example builds for brawling? I feel the BSW, while really good, doesn't really embody the brawling lifestyle with large mechs putting tons of metal straight into the enemies faces. Things like the TBR, ON1-IIC's, Scorch, CP-10-Q...
OG SPLATDOG: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=213&l=ec234a202d5671fb883bc0c68a17f620b4efdc51
IIC-A: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=373&l=d72d3275bb1c35246a8b9fd94f9bc16c0c4ee4d9
IIC-C: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=375&l=4d8094bc715c6ff190362dd68d4556a9c625b7f0
TBR-PRIME
CP-10-Q: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=435&l=75293ba023e795bf6a9d3391b579b62574b1e315

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 15, 2018

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TjyvTompa posted:

Here's THE Supernova build: SNV-1
There's also a really good ATM build for the SNV-A but I'm not gonna encourage that.

Have you heard the good word of single heatsinks? You can also take off two heavy mediums and the jump jet, and replace with two heavy large lasers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Hey, can we get some explanation in the OP why radar deprivation is good and how the operations tree is good if you have many heatsinks? We have a couple of brand new players that I think would benefit from understanding how important positioning is in this game. I also think some more in-depth explanations for true beginners would be nice. Do you have those pictures that show how to engage enemies and how much a simple positioning mistake could mean your entire lance gets wiped out?

By the way, you should really join the discord. The mumble is completely dead but discord is very much alive. Last I saw I think there were 50 MWO goons in there, it has really picked up since the winter events, really awesome to see all the new players!

Edit: Also if you feel like it, could you add some more example builds for brawling? I feel the BSW, while really good, doesn't really embody the brawling lifestyle with large mechs putting tons of metal straight into the enemies faces. Things like the TBR, ON1-IIC's, Scorch, CP-10-Q...

I don't think the sensor tree is worth the opportunity cost in most situations. Much of Radar Dep's functionality is replicable with good positioning, and I can count on one hand the number of times Seismic made the difference in a game. I do think I know the comics you're talking about; I'll see if I can dig them up and then maybe put them into a sperate tutorial section along with Kanajashi's videos.

Discord is on my computer, but I don't use it much. MWO is mostly a solo thing for me.

The ON1-IIC is already in the recommendations post.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 15, 2018

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Hello new thread. Mechs are pretty cool and good except the ones that are not.

Seconding getting on the Discord, it's a cool and chill place to hang out and shoot the poo poo about mechwarrior as well as shooting the poo poo out of mechs.

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't think the sensor tree is worth the opportunity cost in most situations. Much of Radar Dep's functionality is replicable with good positioning, and I can count on one hand the number of times Seismic made the difference in a game. I do think I know the comics you're talking about; I'll see if I can dig them up and then maybe put them into a sperate tutorial section along with Kanajashi's videos.

I strongly disagree about the sensors tree, but what works for me may be different for others. I run full Radar Deprivation and Seismic on every mech(and they are the first skill points I spend on almost every mech) because I hate giving missile-throwers the satisfaction of a hit marker and I use seismic constantly, either to work out where enemies are for example on Crimson Strait when I'm below the platform or where they are going in some of those tense 1v1s around a building it really makes a difference between rounding the corner to their face or their back. Even if it hasn't made a critical difference in most games it can at least inform me about my positioning relative to the enemy round the corner or provide a little warning of the incoming ambush behind me. If I don't yet have seismic on a mech I feel a little blind without it as I'll get that sixth sense feeling someone might be nearby, stop to see if anything comes up on seismic and then rememeber I don't have it and am forced to live in a world of paranoid twisting rather than focused on what's in front of me.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Oh yeah, totally forgot about the flashing from radar dep. That alone is worth at least 1 point.
I think we should try to focus our advice and stuff for beginners, I know when I started playing this game my #1 annoyance was LRMs and how to hide from them. Finally getting the 15,000 XP and 6 million Cbills needed to unlock radar deprivation and buying the module felt so good.

I know you are really good Skippy, but you are maybe too good, you have forgotten how it was to suck at this game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Finally getting the 15,000 XP and 6 million Cbills needed to unlock radar deprivation and buying the module felt so good.

I think this is, at the core, why so many people default to 19 in Sensors. A lot of folks who played before the skill tree were accustomed to having Radar Dep and Seismic as the default utility modules on all their mechs. However, back then there was no -10% Heat Gen or +15 Armor module competing for a slot. If there had been, Dep and Seismic would never have seen play. That's roughly the situation you have now. Again, it's all about opportunity costs, and any points you put into Sensors have to come out of some other tree.

It's not that the skills are bad, they're just less good than a lot of the critical stuff in Firepower, Survivability, Mobility, and Auxillary. Also, game knowledge can compensate for a lot of what they offer, whereas no amount of piloting experience is going to make my Heavy Large Lasers generate less heat.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 15, 2018

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Correct me if I am wrong, but are radar deprivation and target decay directly opposing quirks (in a sense)? As in, if you have one and an enemy the other, they somewhat negate each other?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but are radar deprivation and target decay directly opposing quirks (in a sense)? As in, if you have one and an enemy the other, they somewhat negate each other?

Stolen from the brown sea-

posted:

Without Target decay against an opponent with Radar Deprivation you lose lock instantly.

Without Target Decay against a vanilla target you get about 2.25 seconds after losing Line of Sight before you lose lock.

With Advanced Target Decay against a vanilla target, you get something like 4.75 seconds after losing line of sight before you lose lock.

With Advanced Target Decay against a target with Radar Deprivation you get about 2.25 seconds after losing line of sight before you lose lock

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wish this game had replays. Occasionally I'll share a match with a Twitch streamer, and getting a second look at my performance without any pressure is nice.

Edit: I guess I could record the footage myself. Maybe I'm just lazy.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

I wish this game had replays. Occasionally I'll share a match with a Twitch streamer, and getting a second look at my performance without any pressure is nice.

Edit: I guess I could record the footage myself. Maybe I'm just lazy.

Noooo you're not lazy, guy who refuses to join our discord because the application uses auto start and you always turn those off when starting your computer and won't start the application again to talk with some cool guys because it would be too much work.

I'm just loving with you, what I wanted to say was that it is 10 skills in the sensors tree to get 60% radar dep. and 100m seismic range, like so: I think it is worth it on all my mechs personally.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm assuming I should continue letting my HOTAS collect dust and try out this game with M+KB?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr E posted:

I'm assuming I should continue letting my HOTAS collect dust and try out this game with M+KB?

Yes. This game is an FPS, and playing with a joystick is terribad.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

EoRaptor posted:

Yes. This game is an FPS, and playing with a joystick is terribad.

"BUT MY MECH SIM" cried the pubbie as they stuff another handful of cheetoes in their mouth.

Also, I massively second buying that Locust Start pack. It can not be overstated how good the Pirate's Bane is right now.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 15, 2018

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

they should release a new mech that has the pilot controlling the torso with a trackball mouse instead of a stick

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

free hubcaps posted:

they should release a new mech that has the pilot controlling the torso with a trackball mouse instead of a stick

please no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR4eLqdIIWQ

it still hurts to this very day

seeing a reminder in the cockpit would be too much pain

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I just purchased the 27B after much internal debate of it vs the 27. I like the extra damage and speed I can get out of it, though I think the 27 can be a bit tankier if you go full zombie build.
27: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=330&l=bcc63669877a5722976cb46d55fc2e08fec19c7a
27B: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=332&l=2fdec4cb6722ff38ae44995a0c70fe5bab329683

Thanks for this, swapping out the STD250 for the LE285 made a world of difference for me. As much as I like being able to totally zombie, the added mobility is more effective, I think.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

Here's THE Supernova build: SNV-1
There's also a really good ATM build for the SNV-A but I'm not gonna encourage that.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=508&l=4b273b859f8c41aa3e5985726d89a4bb809913fb

There's also the SHS with HMLs build that was posted earlier but I really don't dig a mech as sluggish as the SNV at that close of a range. Before new tech came out that was for sure the best SNV build, but since then: A) LPLs and MPLs have been nerfed quite a bit, B) HLLs came out and ER MLs got de-nerfed, C) The Supernova lost some of its mobility, making it worse at close range.

The pulse laser build still out DPSes the HLL/ERML build but that's about all it has going for it. It has a lower alpha, worse heat efficiency, no jumpjets, and relies on an XL engine instead of a standard.

And yes I am aware that the build I linked can benefit from endo, buuuut it's in a bit of a weird spot with only one free crit that way. You can max out the armor and drop a heatsink to fit a TC3 if you upgrade to endo but honestly it's not really worth losing the heatsink IMO and the armor that I stripped didn't come from components you'll ever lose on an SNV anyway.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Even so, going endo you can just grab a TC1, max out the armor, and just have like a ton unused. Sub optimal, but also still an upgrade.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm pretty new, but this unit EVIL are the biggest dickwads I've encountered playing.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Huh, so PPCs are decent again, maybe? I came back to this game yesterday (thanks for the OP!), and decided to go with the warhawk prime that I had. I stripped out its LRMs and a bit of leg armor to fit in more heat sinks.

Got about 500~600 damage in the few matches I played. Was pleasantly surprised by it, though still could not last long in an outright brawl. It still runs very hot, though I did group the PPCs by pairs rather than fire them one at a time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Weissritter posted:

Huh, so PPCs are decent again, maybe? I came back to this game yesterday (thanks for the OP!), and decided to go with the warhawk prime that I had. I stripped out its LRMs and a bit of leg armor to fit in more heat sinks.

Got about 500~600 damage in the few matches I played. Was pleasantly surprised by it, though still could not last long in an outright brawl. It still runs very hot, though I did group the PPCs by pairs rather than fire them one at a time.

Yeah, the WHK-Prime 4 ERPPC build is very good. It's not a brawler by any means, but it with a proper skill tree it does full damage out to about 950m, which is crazy

What you wanna do is find a nice bit of cover with an overview of where the fight is gonna happen and make it so that anything within a kilometer that pokes its head out gets a quick two-tap of PPC fire. Done properly you can create space for your team to maneuver, ruin a component before the fight starts in earnest, or straight-up kill smaller robots if you manage to pop an XL

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
PPCs are good if you use them correctly. You have to consistently hit, never have your mech at 0% heat, and minimize the damage that you're taking by either through range or through cover.

If you can hit those three things then PPCs will outperform laser vomit pretty easily.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I haven't played much in the past year or so. I just started again and am enjoying running around shooting people in the butts in an Assassin with ECM, stealth armor, and SRM-6's.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
You know what's great about Alpine Peaks?

Absolutely loving nothing! :argh:

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Angelwolf posted:

It's not Polar Highlands~!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

What are other good mechs to mount PPCs? Does the PPC velocity quirk need to be present?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=508&l=4b273b859f8c41aa3e5985726d89a4bb809913fb

There's also the SHS with HMLs build that was posted earlier but I really don't dig a mech as sluggish as the SNV at that close of a range. Before new tech came out that was for sure the best SNV build, but since then: A) LPLs and MPLs have been nerfed quite a bit, B) HLLs came out and ER MLs got de-nerfed, C) The Supernova lost some of its mobility, making it worse at close range.

The pulse laser build still out DPSes the HLL/ERML build but that's about all it has going for it. It has a lower alpha, worse heat efficiency, no jumpjets, and relies on an XL engine instead of a standard.

And yes I am aware that the build I linked can benefit from endo, buuuut it's in a bit of a weird spot with only one free crit that way. You can max out the armor and drop a heatsink to fit a TC3 if you upgrade to endo but honestly it's not really worth losing the heatsink IMO and the armor that I stripped didn't come from components you'll ever lose on an SNV anyway.

Dude, what the hell, you put a standard engine in a clan mech?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Weissritter posted:

What are other good mechs to mount PPCs? Does the PPC velocity quirk need to be present?

Absolutely not! Here's the dirty secret: quirks can be great, and if you can get quirks that boost your weapon choice significantly then that's double great, but you shouldn't let quirks get in the way of building what you want to build. Really, the quirks you want to look out for are ones that reduce heat generation and ones that reduce cooldown of your weapons choice as these directly relate to either more sustained damage or just higher DPS. Other quirks such as range and velocity are nice, but far less important when considering a build.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Absolutely not! Here's the dirty secret: quirks can be great, and if you can get quirks that boost your weapon choice significantly then that's double great, but you shouldn't let quirks get in the way of building what you want to build. Really, the quirks you want to look out for are ones that reduce heat generation and ones that reduce cooldown of your weapons choice as these directly relate to either more sustained damage or just higher DPS. Other quirks such as range and velocity are nice, but far less important when considering a build.

Don't forget about armor quirks. If a mech has them and you unlock all the +armor skillnodes the mech will be much tankier than mechs without it. Only applies to armor quirks, structure quirks are not as powerful, but still good.
Good examples: Annihilator, Urbanmech, Bushwacker, Wolfhound, Quickdraw, Orion (both IS and Clan), Roughneck (gets both armor and structure quirks).

You can find a list of all mechs and their quirks here (scroll down): http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
This is where I look when I want to find something that might be good, like the TBT-7M which you can see has these quirks: MISSILE COOLDOWN: -20.00% MISSILE VELOCITY: 10.00% MISSILE HEAT GENERATION: -20.00% pretty beastly.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Angelwolf posted:

It would be ok if you could say respawn at say capturable bases littered around the map

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Angelwolf posted:

LRM boating :smug:

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Angelwolf posted:

Knowing you will have +1 map vote modifier next round?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Is there any sort of chart/ doc that has the relative heights of all the mechs in game?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
ANH-2A, Rate my ride

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Bishyaler posted:

ANH-2A, Rate my ride

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Bishyaler posted:

ANH-2A, Rate my ride

Wow, that is an impressively bad build