Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Planet Savage, Planet Walrus 'Stache (with a single moon named Beret), Planet Hot Chick, Planet Imahara and Planet White Dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Hooboy, whatathread.

I have so many questions about science! :science: (Especially since they seem like they'll have reasonable answers!)

I guess I'll leave them for later, when hoobaby's in preschool and Dr. Olo's a gainfully unemployed postgrad and this thread gets active again.

Still, non-equatorial space elevator makes me go what. Colony site investigation should've been constrained to near the equator.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Vavrek posted:

Hooboy, whatathread.

I have so many questions about science! :science: (Especially since they seem like they'll have reasonable answers!)

I guess I'll leave them for later, when hoobaby's in preschool and Dr. Olo's a gainfully unemployed postgrad and this thread gets active again.

Still, non-equatorial space elevator makes me go what. Colony site investigation should've been constrained to near the equator.

Non-equatorial space elevator seems like it would end up flailing madly like the donge from meatspin.

That's my hot take.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm not a physicist but I'm pretty sure you could make a non-equatorial space elevator as long as your cable was extra bendy and strong at the same time. Bendier and stronger than you'd already need for a normal space elevator, but theoretically doable - it would kinda bend towards the equator as it went out for the first bit until it got to the point where all the various forces mostly balance out and then it would start extending straight out into space parallel to the equator, but probably a few degrees above? It would make matching orbit and docking with the space end annoying, but if you've got the technology to be building this I don't think you worry too much about minor orbital maneuvering.

I dunno I'm sure someone smart has done more thinking about it but that's my "10 minutes and sketches on a notepad" take.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 15, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the thing that fucks me up is a Russian came up with the idea in 1895

iirc you can have them be nonequatorial without huge problems, if you do some extra bullshit thing, but I don't actually remember what and have no sources

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Oh, it was given a decent enough explanation in the posts that brought it up, about the consequences of mounting the base at nonzero latitudes, what sort of extra forces would be on the base, etc. It's just surprising to me that this is a surmountable difficulty at all, and that somehow we brought a space elevator with us rather than grabbing an appropriate asteroid and manufacturing one on site. Space elevators are big! Like, REALLY BIG.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Maybe they just repurposed carbon from the ship hull by using a machine to break it down into carbon tubes for the elevator?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Non-equatorial space elevator seems like it would end up flailing madly like the donge from meatspin.

That's my hot take.

I love that I"m not the only one who still references that thing once in a while.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Slaan posted:

Maybe they just repurposed carbon from the ship hull by using a machine to break it down into carbon tubes for the elevator?

I'd have thought repurposing the carbon from excess crewmembers would be more your jam.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Yes, but for jam, not for elevator cables.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Vavrek posted:

Yes, but for jam, not for elevator cables.

Stop hacking my systems for copy pasting:(

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Slaan posted:

Stop hacking my systems for copy pasting:(

Not while you poke my gushing spring point, SIR.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Olothreutes come back, it's getting weird in here.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Space madness

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
The dedication to keeping this thread alive is astounding.

(Yes, I've caught up, just in time to blindly hit refresh hoping for an update one day)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

CourValant posted:

The dedication to keeping this thread alive is astounding.

(Yes, I've caught up, just in time to blindly hit refresh hoping for an update one day)

The kid will have to go off to school eventually

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

There Bias Two posted:

The kid will have to go off to school eventually

Isn't that when 'sexy time' happens for Mom and Dad though?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Olo can multitask.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

vorebane posted:

Olo can multitask.

Or at least to a vlog. :heysexy:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Or at least to a vlog. :heysexy:

:pervert:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

You spin my space elevator 'round, baby, right 'round.

In near-orbit, baby, 'round 'round.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I support the idea of Olo doing Hooboy-themed 80s songs as vlogs.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Is that the increased radiation stripping your first few layers of skin, or, are you just happy to see me? :pervert:

Hexenritter posted:

I support the idea of Olo doing Hooboy-themed 80s songs as vlogs.

With Go-Go dancers!!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

CourValant posted:

Is that the increased radiation stripping your first few layers of skin, or, are you just happy to see me? :pervert:

With Go-Go dancers!!

Parachute pants optional. :razz:

I just killed it, didn't I?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I realized that I've started regularly using "hooboy" as an exclamation in normal conversation and I'd just like you all to know I will never forgive you for forcing this curse upon me.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Olo, don't worry about restarting this, the prank worked.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mission Accomplished, Goldmine Thread

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Crazycryodude posted:

I realized that I've started regularly using "hooboy" as an exclamation in normal conversation and I'd just like you all to know I will never forgive you for forcing this curse upon me.

Hooboy, what a mind gently caress.

Also my autocorrect has learnt and now capitalizes Hooboy. Good work olo.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

vorebane posted:

Olo, don't worry about restarting this, the prank worked.

There Bias Two posted:

Mission Accomplished, Goldmine Thread

Nooooo! Come back Olo!!!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

How many Stellaris players have we got in this thread? I'm guessing it's at least a few. I've been thinking about figuring out the modding system and making the Whataplanet system and Hoomans as a custom start option. It's a pretty cool looking system.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Vavrek posted:

How many Stellaris players have we got in this thread? I'm guessing it's at least a few. I've been thinking about figuring out the modding system and making the Whataplanet system and Hoomans as a custom start option. It's a pretty cool looking system.

Hooboywhatamod

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
You guys got me all excited :smith:

Only thing for it is to make the problem worse!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Vavrek posted:

Make them pick a civic like "fled homeworld"
It gives habitability at the cost of population growth. Keep them stock human and make Hooboy arctic. This should be one of those hardcore civics where you can't change it after the fact. You pick it during empire creation you're stuck with it.

Course that would put a lot of impetus to building up robots to make up for it. So you'd have to come up with some second civic that smooths that over too. Maybe some kind of synthphobic thing where you can't have robots but you get boosts to unity and influence? Maybe it could be traded out for normal civics later?

e: you could even make it so that "fled homeworld" could be more generalized. Like maybe you have "fled arid homeworld" and pick tropical as your starting planet. Then that empire would have arid preference but a tropical capital.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 13, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Vavrek posted:

That's a cool idea, I would use that mod. After I finish this Space Otters game.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Vavrek posted:

Oh I'd totally play that. Kinda dropped Stellaris for a bit but 2.0 has sucked me right back in.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh I'd totally play that. Kinda dropped Stellaris for a bit but 2.0 has sucked me right back in.

Nice! I am beginning to dabble with Kerbal Space Program.

Here's to landing my next spaceship with a bang. Planet X, here I come.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

gently caress. gently caress you guys!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Outrail posted:

gently caress. gently caress you guys!

:(

It was time to bump it or let it get archived and I'm not letting Olo off the hook that easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Crazycryodude posted:

:(

It was time to bump it or let it get archived and I'm not letting Olo off the hook that easy

That's fair. :ghost:

• Locked thread