Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Brooker's reason for the pizza company having the same name in Crocodile and USS Callister is that it's less effort than coming up with a new one each time, and the same is presumably true for Wraith Babes etc.

Easter eggs are just easter eggs, the only episode which explicitly references others is the self-parody episode. Trying to link everything is just a pointless attempt to 'solve' (an awful nerd media consumption habit) an anthology series.

Fans posted:

“I’m sure the fans won’t get weird about this” is also a good pitch for a Black Mirror episode

an episode about developing a schizophrenia-type thing from being Too Online and seeing links everywhere, a la http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/12/qanon-4chan-the-storm-conspiracy-explained.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"Watching the show but never thinking or talking about it" <---> "Trying to link the episodes" are the two ends of the Consumption Habit Spectrum, representing Inadequate and Super-adequate Consumption, and your specific level of consumption happens to be the Appropriate Amount.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fans posted:

Fandoms and their weird obsession with pointless minutiae could legit make a good Black Mirror

A take on that could be an episode called "Head Canon" where there's a memory-altering technology where you can make all your wildest dreams come true but only in your memories. Then the twist is that it leads to mass hysteria and chaos because of course you can't remember that your altered memories aren't real. Maybe there could be a Black Mirror fan stand-in where they successfully find a common link in everybody's memories, but then it turns out that even that was just an altered memory.

Whoa :psyduck:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

A take on that could be an episode called "Head Canon" where there's a memory-altering technology where you can make all your wildest dreams come true but only in your memories. Then the twist is that it leads to mass hysteria and chaos because of course you can't remember that your altered memories aren't real. Maybe there could be a Black Mirror fan stand-in where they successfully find a common link in everybody's memories, but then it turns out that even that was just an altered memory.

Whoa :psyduck:

What if Berenstain Bears, but too much not enough does anyone else remember when this show was called Dark Mirror??

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

exmarx posted:

Easter eggs are just easter eggs, the only episode which explicitly references others is the self-parody episode. Trying to link everything is just a pointless attempt to 'solve' (an awful nerd media consumption habit) an anthology series.

Yeah, trying to "solve" a tv show or game or something is just weird to me. Like, the people who made really detailed timelines of all the Zelda games, or all the debates about the ending of Inception or Primer. It's just like, what's the point? Easter eggs and little references are fun, but trying to force a bunch of disparate pieces to fit together usually just makes the whole thing more boring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, trying to "solve" a tv show or game or something is just weird to me. Like, the people who made really detailed timelines of all the Zelda games, or all the debates about the ending of Inception or Primer. It's just like, what's the point? Easter eggs and little references are fun, but trying to force a bunch of disparate pieces to fit together usually just makes the whole thing more boring.

Turns out people like to do different things from you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fans posted:

Fandoms and their weird obsession with pointless minutiae could legit make a good Black Mirror

what if tv tropes but too much.

Cojawfee posted:

Turns out people like to do different things from you.

sometimes people like dumb or bad things.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I thought ArkAngel was going to end -

with the daughter beating the dog piss out of her mom, leaving her ko'd but alive. Gets one of the fancy-schmancy knives (that had dominated a few shots for no apparent reason) but can't quite bring herself to finish mummy off...until she swipes the distressing image filter on the Arkangel back on. Final shot is a blank-faced daughter, methodically hacking away at a mosaic.

- and I can't decide if I am a genius for thinking of such a cool ending or a retard for thinking of such a dumb ending.

Also real talk I would've watched an entire TV show of Glaswegian Insurance Columbo in Future Iceland. That lady's got mad presence.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 16, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Probably the same reason that Metalhead got the most discussion of the season - people like to discuss things that have uncertainty or mystery or depth (not saying that Metalhead had depth)

BM and Zelda are pretty similar in that they've got humongous followings but all the depth and complexity of a tea saucer. Lots of people that want to think and talk about it, but there isn't really anything to say. There's nothing to discuss about Link killing Ganon or the Prime Minister loving a pig, but you can shoot the poo poo for hours wondering how it relates to the time Other Link killed Ganondorf or when the UK got owned by bees

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if people are discussing a TV show because the season ended and there's nothing else to talk about but too much of an idiot running in shouting "NO STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT!"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I understand how some could see it as annoying though. I cringe at those hour long "here's why Jar Jar Binks was actually a Sith Lord" videos even though I know it's just someone having fun + knowing full well they're technically "Wrong"

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, I mean I’m not actually bothered by it, I just think it’s kind of a weird way to interact with media. Like with 15MM I have a bunch of questions about the world they’re in and what exactly is going on there, but I don’t want any actual answers and I prefer it as a stand-alone piece that’s not directly connected to anything else.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think the teddy bears at the end of metalhead were the same type as the one the lady out of utopia got copied into in the black museum segment. They were trying to get them to 'save' the dying kid. Obviously it works if they're just bears too I guess, but the subtle allusions to san junipero during the episode seemed deliberate.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I can't really go through 83 pages looking for just the posts on USS Callister without getting spoiled on the rest of season 4, so uhhhh can someone summarize the discussions so far about the apparent fact in that universe that every person's entire memory and mind processes exist copied onto every strand of DNA in all of their cells in duplicate? Did anyone come up any explanation for why they did that in the show as opposed to at least mentioning it, or introducing some throwaway plot device that involves a scanner for, I dunno, brains? Because there is obviously no way that conversation didn't take place during production, since the whole point of each episode is to highlight some plausible piece of technology, and hundreds of actors / writers / producers / focus groups would have had the opportunity to point out the obvious elephant in the room before it hit the screen

So what's the word on that. I loved the episode and its messages about human nature as always but I just want to know what that's all about

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 16, 2018

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I can't really go through 83 pages looking for just the posts on USS Callister without getting spoiled on the rest of season 4, so uhhhh can someone summarize the discussions so far about the apparent fact in that universe that every person's entire memory and mind processes exist copied onto every strand of DNA in all of their cells in duplicate? Did anyone come up any explanation for why they did that in the show as opposed to at least mentioning it, or introducing some throwaway plot device that involves a scanner for, I dunno, brains? Because there is obviously no way that conversation didn't take place during production, since the whole point of each episode is to highlight some plausible piece of technology, and hundreds of actors / writers / producers / focus groups would have had the opportunity to point out the obvious elephant in the room before it hit the screen

So what's the word on that. I loved the episode and its messages about human nature as always but I just want to know what that's all about

Nope. General consensus is that it’s because it had to be something which could be stolen, and thus harder to with a brain scan.

just don’t think about it too closely.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It doesn’t matter. Move on. The technology of how he does it isn’t specifically what the story is about.

The story is about a hard done by guy who takes out his vindictive/sadistic tendencies on perfect digital clones of his coworkers. How he gets to that point is less important.

If you wanted to go for some interpretation, you could assume that since connecting to the game is essentially connecting a player’s brain to the servers, perhaps they download enough of their thought patterns and mannerisms to fill in the gaps that the DNA leaves, and being a passive aggressive control freak CTO he’d probably still have all the keys to the kingdom.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Canon and continuity are brain parasites.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So White Bear was really really good

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So White Bear was really really good

The twist at the end was added late in production. It would have been a real turd as originally proposed!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The twist at the end was added late in production. It would have been a real turd as originally proposed!

Really? That's very interesting, so originally everyone really was hosed up by a signal?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Really? That's very interesting, so originally everyone really was hosed up by a signal?

Exactly! Most people I know said "oh I thought the episode was really cliche/dumb until the very end" so it was a good call on their part.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Exactly! Most people I know said "oh I thought the episode was really cliche/dumb until the very end" so it was a good call on their part.

I feel like I would have still enjoyed the episode, even feeling like it would just be a British Cell. The credit scenes really sealed the episide off perfectly though.

So now I'm a third of the way into the Waldo episode, then White Christmas, which I've heard is also good.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Groovelord Neato posted:

sometimes people like dumb or bad things.

Also TV IV clearly demonstrates that some people are bad at watching TV. It's not a stretch to presume some people would also be bad at talking about TV.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I don't know how to feel about Waldo. I guess if Trump hadn't gotten elected here 'the system sucks and is terrible' would have had more personal meaning, instead of being a 'yeah duh'

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So I don't know how to feel about Waldo. I guess if Trump hadn't gotten elected here 'the system sucks and is terrible' would have had more personal meaning, instead of being a 'yeah duh'

Waldo was a reverse White Bear for me - I thought the episode as a whole was cool and then the end-credit scene was LOL What and made it dumb

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump winning made waldo way better. it seemed far too silly when it came out.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump winning made waldo way better. it seemed far too silly when it came out.

Remember how Trump started out by calling out corruption in a genuine and earnest way and then was literally hijacked by evil people and then came to power by telling people to throw shoes at his opponents while the 'real' trump became a forgotten hobo?

I'm being over the top but this take has gotten really grating lately, I don't know if people are reading stuff into the Waldo ep or just re-writing actual history in their heads. As far as I remember there was no undercurrent of racial dogwhistling involved in the Waldo ep, and Waldo was framed as a new wave phenomenon that appealed to the young, not another old white racist appealing to other old white people (and a smattering of young fascists). I especially have problems with people framing Trump as somehow a confusing or misleading figure, as if Trump voters genuinely think he isn't a racist monster and were actually motivated (however briefly) by genuine outrage, that was then somehow hijacked unknown to them by a shadowy deep state conspiracy.

And I say this as someone who enjoyed the Waldo ep (before the silly visuals of the epilogue at leaast)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Remember how Trump started out by calling out corruption in a genuine and earnest way and then was literally hijacked by evil people and then came to power by telling people to throw shoes at his opponents while the 'real' trump became a forgotten hobo?

I'm being over the top but this take has gotten really grating lately, I don't know if people are reading stuff into the Waldo ep or just re-writing actual history in their heads. As far as I remember there was no undercurrent of racial dogwhistling involved in the Waldo ep, and Waldo was framed as a new wave phenomenon that appealed to the young, not another old white racist appealing to other old white people (and a smattering of young fascists). I especially have problems with people framing Trump as somehow a confusing or misleading figure, as if Trump voters genuinely think he isn't a racist monster and were actually motivated (however briefly) by genuine outrage, that was then somehow hijacked unknown to them by a shadowy deep state conspiracy.

And I say this as someone who enjoyed the Waldo ep (before the silly visuals of the epilogue at leaast)

Personally I was using a surface level reading of 'the system sucks, meaning who knows can get elected'

Also a 'buck the system' candidate is a good comparison too. With no knowledge of any black mirror chat the comparison just seemed an obvious one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was more "absolutely ridiculous character" gets elected.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You think Trump actually cared about corruption or had a single genuine and earnest thought but got magically hijacked by evil people, have you not paid attention to basically everything he has said and odne over the past 30 years.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was more "actual cartoon character" gets elected.

ftfy

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

socialsecurity posted:

You think Trump actually cared about corruption or had a single genuine and earnest thought but got magically hijacked by evil people, have you not paid attention to basically everything he has said and odne over the past 30 years.

...I'm not sure how you read my post this way but yeah, that was the specific logic I was mocking when talking about comparing Trump to the Waldo moment, which began with the Waldo character getting big by calling out that one guy. Waldo was then hijacked later.

I was specifically saying that is not how Trump worked, so we are in agreement there as to Trump's nature, which is why I strongly object to people saying trump is some post fact validation of Waldo. Which is really the only logic I can see if you're saying Trumps ascension made Waldo better in hindsight, unless you abstract it out massively and act like you never countenanced the idea that maybe a politician might get elected in a misleading fashion (or that a cartoonish politician could ever exist).

Waldo had it's own ideas that are worth discussion on their own terms, I find the whole 'Waldo = Trump' to be reductive at best.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 17, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

before last year nobody would've believed someone who was a living cartoon would be elected president of the united states.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

before last year nobody would've believed someone who was a living cartoon would be elected president of the united states.

I can't even tell if this post is sarcastic.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
gently caress. White Christmas was something else.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I think a lot of it is just “obnoxious rear end in a top hat celebrity keeps winning!”

Nobody is thinking about the policy of the two characters (yes I’m calling Trump a character).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheBizzness posted:

I think a lot of it is just “obnoxious rear end in a top hat celebrity keeps winning!”

Nobody is thinking about the policy of the two characters (yes I’m calling Trump a character).

Pretty much, yeah. All his grandstanding and face-pulling with Hillary during the debates was like straight out of the Waldo playbook.

And lol at anybody saying they "didn't see it coming". I saw it coming the moment Hillary won stole the primaries.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not even Trumps team thought he was going to win on election night. It surprised everyone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't even tell if this post is sarcastic.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pje34fUgLQ