Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think we all know that the best show of this decade and retroactively every decade that came before it is and was the Eric Andre Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Favorite shows by decade:

50’s: I Love Lucy is the only 50’s show I’ve seen multiple episodes of. It’s legitimately great though. The Candy Factory scene is still one of the funniest things I’ve seen to this day.
60’s: The Twilight Zone. ‘Nuff said.
70’s: Uhhh... I haven’t seen much 70’s TV. I’ve caught random episodes of all the classics, but I’d be hard pressed to say which was best. Sanford and Son stands out I suppose. Considering how much I love 30 Rock I know I should watch The Mary Taylor Moore Show, but I’m not sure it’s streaming anywhere. Happy Days sucks, I know that much.
80’s: Gotta go with Wonder Years. I haven’t watched it in a decade, though, I think it still stands up. The 80’s was kind of dire overall, TV-wise.
90’s: This is where it starts to get hard. Buffy, Fresh Prince, X-Files, Quantum Leap, Deep Space 9, and 3rd Rock from the Sun all make extremely compelling cases. But Seinfeld edges them all out. It’s endlessly rewatchable and funny to this day, and so many of the comedies today that I love owe so, so much to Seinfeld.
00’s: You know what, this question is bad and should feel bad. Too many choices here, but I think the answer is Lost. :colbert: Wait, maybe 30 Rock. Or Boston Legal... nah, gonna stick with Lost.
10’s: Not over yet, but I think it’ll be difficult for anything to top the highs Breaking Bad reached.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 16, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timby posted:

I enjoy The Wire and think it has some very memorable characters and episodes, but Andre Braugher, Kyle Secor, Melissa Leo and Yaphet Kotto out-act all of them.

I also appreciate Homicide for showing much more of Baltimore City and the County, whereas The Wire mostly lived in the western part of the city (which had a lot of goobers saying "Baltimore's such a shithole lollllllll" after watching the show).

I'm with you on all of this. Homicide is my number one as well. And I'll add an obligatory "Three Men and Adena is the greatest hour of television ever made" to what you said.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know about my greatest of all time, but I'm a sitcom nerd, so my top five are all sitcoms. Descending order:

30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Arrested Development
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Community

Good Place is getting up there, though, this season has been insanely strong. Others I liked a lot in no order: Apartment 23, Venture Bros., Bob's Burgers, Great News, Difficult People, Fresh Off the Boat, Bojack Horseman(?)

So your a sitcom nerd who only likes shows from the last decade or less?

All of your top five is recent and two if them are still on going.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about by decade, but here's my current top 10 shows ever:

10. Over the Garden Wall
09. 30 Rock
08. Twin Peaks
07. Breaking Bad
06. The Wire
05. Arrested Development
04. The Leftovers
03. Seinfeld
02. Mad Men
01. The Sopranos

Went back and forth for ages about putting classic Simpsons on there but decided not to in the end cause it's been a long time for a lot of it. Disclaimer that I'm currently only 5 episodes deep into a rewatch of The Wire so that could leap up when I get further in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

Let me be honest, as a teenager back in the 80's good chance I did things as bad as described by his victim. Several times I tried to pressure girlfriends into sex or when I was told they didn't want to go any further I used the 'back off and try again strategy' (which never worked). Also as a male I was in a presumed position of power. Not proud of it, and while I was a young and dumb its not an excuse. Still I was a teenager, and once I matured I came to realize I should have stopped at the first hint they didn't want to go any further. Still it is hard for me to understand how a thirty-something male who claims to be 'woke' can make those mistakes. It is creepy and complete abuse of power. That said I was reading on another forum where people were using terms like 'rape' and saying that his life should be ruined for what he did. While I am pretty sure we can all agree it wasn't rape, but should his life be ruined over this incident? Or am I allowing the mistakes made by a 15-16 year old me influence me when it comes to judging a 34 year old man?

Edit: It is funny how much of the media I consumed during the 80's I thought condoned my own behavior. Everything from misogynistic rap and 80's hair metal to the sexism of movies like Weird Science, Revenge of the Nerds, and even MASH (which I watched reruns daily). As a teenager I felt like this was how a guy was suppose to persuade a girl. Thankfully such bullshit has been left in the past (well mostly).

While I have a pretty similar background/age range as you, I've had quite the opposite experience. I've had women get me drunk and pressure me into sex (and some gay men as well, but I was usually quicker to shut that down). Having my boss ply me with free whiskey all night and then send me to her friend's hotel room - despite being incredibly drunk, I was able to leave the hotel room and walk home (in 15 degree weather). Things like that happened several times, but there are also times like the ex-girlfriend of a bandmate insisting she "just want(ed) to watch movies" and then, after getting me drunk, begging for sex, and finally telling me that if I didn't perform she'd smear my name all through the Knoxville indie scene.

That's partially why I'm leery when people say "every man in Hollywood has done this" or similar things; women are more than capable of being awful too, it's just an unfortunate truth that there are more men than women in power especially in Hollywood.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wow that sounds really rough

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

wow that sounds really rough

I hope you're not being sarcastic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
precision, I would read your memoirs.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Drugs and Wives: The precision story

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

So your a sitcom nerd who only likes shows from the last decade or less?

All of your top five is recent and two if them are still on going.
Yep! That's not saying I don't watch older stuff, but a lot of the listed shows have a similar style. Comedy is a product of its time. I didn't say they were the best of all time, just personal favorites.

Some of it's also probably viewing habits, since I tend to stream stuff in chunks like a lot of people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Electric Dreams is super uneven but at least check out episode 3, it's fantastic.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

While I have a pretty similar background/age range as you, I've had quite the opposite experience. I've had women get me drunk and pressure me into sex (and some gay men as well, but I was usually quicker to shut that down). Having my boss ply me with free whiskey all night and then send me to her friend's hotel room - despite being incredibly drunk, I was able to leave the hotel room and walk home (in 15 degree weather). Things like that happened several times, but there are also times like the ex-girlfriend of a bandmate insisting she "just want(ed) to watch movies" and then, after getting me drunk, begging for sex, and finally telling me that if I didn't perform she'd smear my name all through the Knoxville indie scene.

That's partially why I'm leery when people say "every man in Hollywood has done this" or similar things; women are more than capable of being awful too, it's just an unfortunate truth that there are more men than women in power especially in Hollywood.

Man that sucks. I think a lot of my behavior early on was due to how insecure I was, and having both mother and abandonment issues (young divorce parents is bitch). I try my best not to let my upbringing influence who I am today.

That said I had similar experiences in my 20’s. I had a married woman who was almost 15 years older than me stalk me and put into situations that were to the point that I almost I got a restraining order. The bitch even stole my signed copy of a James Ellroy book and rip into shreds because I wouldn’t sleep with her. I also had my male HR manager whip his cock out (after lots of drinking) when we were the last ones at a party at his house, and then he tried to suck mine. This made for an awkward Monday morning meeting between us where he apologized for his actions (until now I never told anyone about this but my wife). Maybe it was payback for my teenage years. Most of this all happened when I lived in Johnson City (HR manager happen here in Knoxville).

I have a niece that hangs out with several of the local bands here in Knoxville (mostly Americana or punk, but strangely both genres share members), and stories she tells me about who is harassing who or cheating on who. So I can imagine how easy it would be ruin your reputation in the local scene. Just last month she had a married musician (who I was friends with in passing and respected as a songwriter), put her in a very comprising position. He played it off as being drunk, but it has ruined how I looked at his music. I just saw his band at the Pilot Light, and it wasn’t the same.

Life is a hosed up ride. I’m just thankfully I found a good partner, and I don’t to deal with crazy anymore. Now back to TV.

precision posted:

Electric Dreams is super uneven but at least check out episode 3, it's fantastic.

Going to watch this episode right now.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 16, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

Most of this all happened when I lived in Johnson City (HR manager happen here in Knoxville).

One quick final note (I promise) on this derail: one of the incidents was in JC, after heavy drinking at New Beginnings. I was cornered in a dark bathroom of someone's house by a man who was very, very insistent. I managed to get away without doing anything with him.

A month later I found out he was HIV positive (and had been for a while). gently caress that was scary.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

One quick final note (I promise) on this derail: one of the incidents was in JC, after heavy drinking at New Beginnings. I was cornered in a dark bathroom of someone's house by a man who was very, very insistent. I managed to get away without doing anything with him.

A month later I found out he was HIV positive (and had been for a while). gently caress that was scary.

Jesus Christ! Reminds me of a fellow Marine that got busted while picking up a prostitute at Camp Lejeune. She was HIV+. Ahh New Beginnings, that’s the first bar my wife and I ever went to.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Ahh New Beginnings, that’s the first bar my wife and I ever went to.

New Beginnings isn't Rehab? I thought it must have been rehab.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw an interview with James Gandolfini and I'm blown away that his Tony Soprano accent is fake. He just sounds like... a normal dude?

Have you seriously never seen anything else with James Gandolfini in it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw crimson tide when I was a kid

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw crimson tide when I was a kid

I think my first memory of James Gandolfini was True Romance.

Looten Plunder posted:

Actually it’s gay bar that had a large straight crowd too.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 16, 2018

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ahh, I knew the name was familiar. There had to be something unique for me to know about a venue on the other side of the world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looten Plunder posted:

Ahh, I knew the name was familiar. There had to be something unique for me to know about a venue on the other side of the world.

It's actually moderately famous in the gay tourism world; despite being a very small town, Johnson City has (or had at one point) something like the fourth highest percentage of gay men in the country. They also used to have pretty much the best drag show in all of the South.

e: I know it's gauche to get excited about anything AMC has done, but man this looks good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPos66MpHe8

precision fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do we have a Van Helsing thread because I want to gush over Julius discovering modern potato chips.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I binged Better Things over the past week and loooooved it. Surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looten Plunder posted:

I definitely remember ads for a place called New Beginnings when I was a kid, which featured a montage of people saying "I'm X, and I'm an alcoholic" so you're at least partially right.

This was in MD though, I don't know if those ads were nationwide.

Either way, that's a weird loving name for a bar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McSpanky posted:

Challenge mode: best shows of all time by decade.

And you have to tag whether you've seen at least five episodes of your pick directly or just looked up things you've heard were good/culturally absorbed without actual exposure.

90s: Law and Order
2000s: Law and Order
2010s: Law and Order

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh look. Someone thought about this rationally
Aziz Ansari Is Guilty. Of Not Being a Mind Reader.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 16, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

We're the only two that think that.

Most people seem to think it's just a bad tryhard grimdark immitation of a bunch of other shows.

I've never seen another show that forces the viewer into the perspective of various characters so well.

Like the show is literally about judging characters based on how their actions seem from your limited perspective. So it's a story that's constantly showing characters do things for reasons that aren't explained to us. As we get more an more information about each character, things start to come together.

It's really well done and pretty damning of general grimdark badassery.

This is from forever ago and I'm catching up on this thread, but I need to quote it to say at least 3 of us love Tin Star. A+ show and v good at showing how seedy that part of Canada can be (albeit heightened).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Is it really so hard to listen to the thousands of women responding to this by saying they are not always capable of leaving, or being assertive, in such a situation? It says a LOT that the only people who think she wasn’t being clear are dudes.

The one thing that article gets right is that the wine thing is very stupid, but that’s such a comparatively tiny part of the article that who cares

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With Harvey Weinstein it's one thing. But Aziz is like 80 pounds and shops in the boys clothing section. He's an rear end in a top hat but I don't really see it in the same ballpark as Weinstein or Kevin Spacey.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

With Harvey Weinstein it's one thing. But Aziz is like 80 pounds and shops in the boys clothing section. He's an rear end in a top hat but I don't really see it in the same ballpark as Weinstein or Kevin Spacey.

I mean yeah, he's scrawny, but you might as well be saying that she should have given him a Stone Cold Stunner and escaped.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not but he's still playing ball.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Aziz didn’t need to read her mind to realize that the woman in question didn’t want to have sex with him then and there. If a woman is telling you things like “next time” and not reciprocating kissing, those are very obvious statements that they’re not interested in fooling around.

The only time a woman is won over into having sex by aggressive forced kissing is in James Bond films... and those are full of really lovely awful stuff. Even as recently as Skyfall, where the first thing that James does after learning his female companion was a former sex slave is to walk in on her showering, naked and uninvited. Which is part of the reason I loving hate Skyfall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody said it was. But it’s still completely disrespectful and lovely. Like nate fisher I was v. guilty of coercion etc as a teen and you’d better goddamn believe I knew exactly what I was doing, even while I could train myself to ignore it psychologically. And I never pushed anyone’s head down or nothin.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, to clarify: what Aziz did isn’t as bad as other people, but it’s still bad. Forcefully and repeatedly trying to coerce a woman to have sex with you is bad. It is.

I get it, you’re horny, you think a woman is attractive, you want to have sex with her. But if she doesn’t want to have sex with you, whelp, too bad. Instead, hang on the couch, watch something. Make her feel comfortable. Bring out a blanket or two, snuggle a bit, put your arm around her. Maybe after a bit, she’ll feel more comfortable with you, and maybe even want to do stuff! And if she doesn’t, that’s fine too, wait for her to leave and if you’re still all hot and bothered, well, that’s what masturbation is for.

I think there’s a paranoid fear around men that if you don’t immediately do sex stuff with a woman ASAP then it’ll never happen, you’ll just become a friend. That doesn’t happen, or rarely does, unless that person is ALSO someone you see regularly (like a coworker). If you’re only seeing someone on dates, you won’t get friendzoned. She might decide she doesn’t like you as much as she thought after a few dates, but that’s your problem, not hers.

It’s not difficult, people. You aren’t so ruled by your penis that you HAVE to have sex or you’ll explode. A woman accepting an invite back to your apartment isn’t a guarantee of anything beyond her wanting to hang with you a bit and get to know you better. It doesn’t matter if you’re some random nobody or George loving Clooney. Unless you meet the girl though a hookup app, you’re most likely not having any form of sex the first date. And that’s fine.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 16, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Do we have a Van Helsing thread because I want to gush over Julius discovering modern potato chips.

Basically this thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365858

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm actually fine with this article, and overall my feelings (on the story so far) is somewhere between this and the other extreme of people thinking he is a full blown sexual predator. Do I think he is full of poo poo about certain topics and creepy? Yes. Do I think his career should be over or that Master of None should be pulled off Netflix? No of course not. The problem to me is people feel like they have to always take an extreme view about these type of stories. All you get is either 'she was asking for it' or 'she put herself in that situation' on one side (which is never acceptable) or on the other side 'castrate him' or 'ruin his life' on the other side (which is totally acceptable when talking about Weinstein for example). Even now I fear by trying to take a more moderate view about this incident that it will be perceived by others as me excusing his behavior (its inexcusable), and I'm just another male not understanding how it is to be a woman in this situation (while I try to understand, I know it is impossible). I do realize you need people to be extreme to move that middle ground of what is acceptable, but don't forget sometimes always taking extreme view can backfire. SA is pretty reasonable most of the times, and I am mostly talking about other sites.

Also the wine part of the babe article was awful. I haven't visited their website before, but things like that undermine the article.

Vegetable posted:

I binged Better Things over the past week and loooooved it. Surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread for it.

I binged watched this last month, and it ended up in my top 5 for 2017. Great show. I forgot how much I missed seeing Cokey Smurf on TV.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 16, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why would you even drink red wine on a first date? It stains your teeth and lips smdh

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would you even drink red wine on a first date? It stains your teeth and lips smdh

If that is enough to ruin your date then your date wasn't going anywhere anyway

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MiddleOne posted:

If that is enough to ruin your date then your date wasn't going anywhere anyway

That's why you use Aziz's patented fishhook finger move.

seriously what the gently caress was that, watch less porn goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TIL that actually listening to someone you're hooking up with when they say no or push you away rather than fish-hooking their mouth and jamming your dick into their face makes you a "mind reader"

wow so rational, so measured

also loving lmao if you think that is the first time that has happened with him

lelandjs posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Aziz didn’t need to read her mind to realize that the woman in question didn’t want to have sex with him then and there. If a woman is telling you things like “next time” and not reciprocating kissing, those are very obvious statements that they’re not interested in fooling around.

The only time a woman is won over into having sex by aggressive forced kissing is in James Bond films... and those are full of really lovely awful stuff. Even as recently as Skyfall, where the first thing that James does after learning his female companion was a former sex slave is to walk in on her showering, naked and uninvited. Which is part of the reason I loving hate Skyfall.

Is that the same one he winds up accidentally killing later because his aim with a gun is so terrible? Man Skyfall was a loving turd of a movie.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 16, 2018