Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the rumour is they're currently filming in Cape Town and will be for a month.

https://doctorwhowatch.com/2018/01/04/doctor-who-taking-trip-south-africa/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Wonder if they're talking a cue from Outlander and using the Black Sails sets/boats

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Looks more mid 20th century.

https://twitter.com/book_lounge/status/952540145898655746

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Oh god is that leak about her incarnation being split across three points in time gonna be true? I know it's a time travel show but her falling out of the Tardis did make me think she'd be stranded and reminded me of it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be down with that. Doctor Who's gotta stay fresh! If people don't take to a seemingly more serialized season of the show then Whittaker's second season will just be travel as usual.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mameluke posted:

I'd be down with that. Doctor Who's gotta stay fresh! If people don't take to a seemingly more serialized season of the show then Whittaker's second season will just be travel as usual.

The thing that sucks about that leaked idea is that she'll have different personalities in each incarnation, meaning we'll have no idea what her character is actually supposed to be.

EDIT: \/ I know. Just explaining why the idea was terrible.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 15, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The thing that sucks about that leaked idea is that she'll have different personalities in each incarnation, meaning we'll have no idea what her character is actually supposed to be.

The "leak" was based on a Radio Times article reveal that never happened, so I doubt it's true.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Szmitten posted:

Oh god is that leak about her incarnation being split across three points in time gonna be true? I know it's a time travel show but her falling out of the Tardis did make me think she'd be stranded and reminded me of it.

Oh god not something new and interesting

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Riptor posted:

Oh god not something new and interesting

The problem isn't that it's new, it's that it would be loving stupid.

She's the first female Doctor. Taking her and splitting her into three distinct personalities and the getting rid of all three at the end of the season to make her whole again, which would essentially be a brand new character is dumb.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shorter version of what Moffat did with twelve heeeeeeeeeeyo

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

It'd be a neat premise as a two-part episode.

Dabir posted:

Shorter version of what Moffat did with twelve heeeeeeeeeeyo

:vince:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Why would they be three different characters, rather than the same one in three different situations?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That's what the "leak" said. The Doctor splits in three different versions of herself in three different timelines. I think it's rather obvious that isn't the case by now, though we might see the Doctor stuck on Earth for a very long time, which might be interesting.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

"We cater to white trade only".

Could be quite a full on episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

Blatent socially acceptable racism of the mid 20th century is something Doctor Who has been tackling since 1989.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Senor Tron posted:

Weren’t there rumors the first ep was set in Joburg?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Weren’t there rumors the first ep was set in Joburg?

Well, they're shooting in Cape Town right now...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Well, they're shooting in Cape Town right now...

Somehow I missed that leak

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Somehow I missed that leak

Cast and crew arrived there shortly after the new year (apparently Chibnall has made it a huge point to crack down on leaks). Here's another set photo.

Definitely a '50s police car, so I wonder if they're having Cape Town double as the American South... (Though you'd think it would be cheaper to just shoot in the States.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 16, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

Blatent socially acceptable racism of the mid 20th century is something Doctor Who has been tackling since 1989.

1988, actually

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Timby posted:

Definitely a '50s police car, so I wonder if they're having Cape Town double as the American South... (Though you'd think it would be cheaper to just shoot in the States.)

I know for some previous location shoots they've done several episodes in the one place and had them double for different areas (eg in season 5 they used Dubrovnik for Venice and Arles).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know for some previous location shoots they've done several episodes in the one place and had them double for different areas (eg in season 5 they used Dubrovnik for Venice and Arles).

Yeah, and all the snowy exterior work for Asylum of the Daleks was shot in Spain, alongside A Town Called Mercy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and all the snowy exterior work for Asylum of the Daleks was shot in Spain, alongside A Town Called Mercy.
A lot of Mercy was shot at Fort Bravo (aka Texas Hollywood) in Almeria, and the steampunk bank frontage is still in place. I guess that means nobody's used it as a set since, which is a shame as it's a very cool place to visit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

True, but it aired for me on PBS in 89. :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

Cast and crew arrived there shortly after the new year (apparently Chibnall has made it a huge point to crack down on leaks). Here's another set photo.

But it's not "the West", the White House, or Manhattan, so it can't be the U.S. in a Doctor Who story.

Though if it is, I can't wait to hear the wonderful American accents this show has produced.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Though if it is, I can't wait to hear the wonderful American accents this show has produced.

In South Africa, no less!

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

In South Africa, no less!

A lot of places have a South.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
I finally gave in and watched the recorded (PVR) Christmas episode.

<sigh> what a dreary, dreadful, non-event of an episode. There was literally nothing in this episode to recommend to either a dedicated who fan or casual observer.

The final Christmas Carol armistice seemed rather tacked-on "just to make it a Christmas episode" kind of thing. To me, the whole episode just reeked of "phoning it in". No so much the actors, though nothing really was outstanding in that dept, but the writing was so dreadfully mundane.

I do agree with many who think the writing of the first doctor was quite extraordinarily "out of character". I managed to watch all of the 1st doctor episodes that were available for rebroadcast long ago (the first time they covered ALL the doctors up to 8 on PBS - Boston). This actor was not portraying anything close to the first doctor. He was portraying a caricature of the 1st doctor as seen by some fanboy with some bizarre chauvinist axe to grind. Weird and very unsettling.

As for the new doctor... we'll have to wait and see. I have such low expectations of Chibnal as literally *anything* that I'm almost optimistic that there might be a glimmer of OK in next season. Time will tell.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

sunnyboy posted:

I finally gave in and watched the recorded (PVR) Christmas episode.

<sigh> what a dreary, dreadful, non-event of an episode. There was literally nothing in this episode to recommend to either a dedicated who fan or casual observer.

The final Christmas Carol armistice seemed rather tacked-on "just to make it a Christmas episode" kind of thing. To me, the whole episode just reeked of "phoning it in". No so much the actors, though nothing really was outstanding in that dept, but the writing was so dreadfully mundane.

I do agree with many who think the writing of the first doctor was quite extraordinarily "out of character". I managed to watch all of the 1st doctor episodes that were available for rebroadcast long ago (the first time they covered ALL the doctors up to 8 on PBS - Boston). This actor was not portraying anything close to the first doctor. He was portraying a caricature of the 1st doctor as seen by some fanboy with some bizarre chauvinist axe to grind. Weird and very unsettling.

As for the new doctor... we'll have to wait and see. I have such low expectations of Chibnal as literally *anything* that I'm almost optimistic that there might be a glimmer of OK in next season. Time will tell.

ok

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hahahahaha. Sick discussion bro.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Hahahahaha. Sick discussion bro.

I mean it's not a spoiler yet it's in the spoiler thread. Thought that was frowned upon

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

I mean it's not a spoiler yet it's in the spoiler thread. Thought that was frowned upon

Oh poo poo. Your right. I thought this was the regular thread and you were just being dismissive.

Ahhh gently caress.

Sorry for making a prick of myself.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Riptor posted:

Sorry. I lost track of the other threads. Seems they start a new one every time someone goes to the bathroom. This thread is one of the few that actually hangs around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Actually, this is a newish thread too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh.

Oh, no.

This can't possibly end well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Oh.

Oh, no.

This can't possibly end well.

Please tell me that aren’t trying to do something involving Rosa Parks. I do not trust Chibnall to handle something like that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Please tell me that aren’t trying to do something involving Rosa Parks. I do not trust Chibnall to handle something like that.

Looks that way, the bus matches:

This could get offensive real fast if it falls into a "Doctor inspired Rosa" / white savior trope, or if aliens / monsters were somehow involved.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For what REASON would you have that on Doctor Who

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So I usually find these threads to be a little too negative, some of the predicted total disasters of episodes I've found to be pretty decent. This on the other hand, is a very loving bad idea and I can't think of a way they could pull this off. Turn left for god's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Looks that way, the bus matches:

This could get offensive real fast if it falls into a "Doctor inspired Rosa" / white savior trope, or if aliens / monsters were somehow involved.
This has the potential to be DW’s “Spock shot JFK”