Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to be honest I'm already surprised they're OK with certain eshop games requiring the touchscreen and being undocked-only, I figured they'd be really strict about the "this poo poo must work the same way docked or undocked" thing out of the gate.

That would be saying that you can't make a game that uses the touch screen. I don't see why that would be a necessary line to draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

my cat told me there was a direct this week?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Harrow posted:

Have there been any statements about the future of the DS line? I wonder if Nintendo's plan is to make the Switch the all-in-one for Nintendo things in the near future or if there'll be a new thing in the DS form factor eventually.

I could definitely see the Switch becoming the one and only Nintendo console, though. All it'd take is a new model with improved battery life and maybe a cheaper version that doesn't come with a dock for people who only care about playing handheld, and there you go.

They were pretty vague around the Switch's launch, probably hedging their bets in case they needed to keep the handheld-only line going, but with the Switch's runaway success that's almost certainly gone out the window.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's 2018, Nintendo online still free.

Their online plan has been such garbage. I haven't bought Splatoon 2, ARMS, or Rocket League (or at least have not prioritized getting them), because I don't want to get any games that will one day be essentially unplayable without paying extra.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 16, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tender Bender posted:

They were pretty vague around the Switch's launch, probably hedging their bets in case they needed to keep the handheld-only line going, but with the Switch's runaway success that's almost certainly gone out the window.

yeah I'm guessing this is just a repeat of when they said the DS line wasn't going to replace the Game Boy line, which it totally did because the DS sold like 150 million consoles

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

It's not necessarily that it can't switch--it just (hypothetically) doesn't come with the dock. You could dock it if you are at someone's place and they have a dock, or you later buy a dock yourself. Drop the price a bit because you're not including the dock (and maybe not the joycon grip) and it's a cheaper option to get a Switch, basically.

And the Switch can "switch" forms even without docking with the kickstand and detachable joycons, so I think the name would still apply.

A dockless Switch is something I can see more likely. I don't think they'd want to do it so soon, but maybe in two or three years, after the failure of the Wii U and the 2DS/3DS/New etc confusion have faded from memory a bit. Like, the second generation of Pokemon games you'll be able to get bundled with a dockless Switch for a low price.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is the new DBZ game coming out on the switch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They haven't said anything, but it's an ArcSys game and a) the new Blazblue game is coming out on Switch and b) Xenoverse 2 sold loving insane numbers on Switch so I'd expect it to come over eventually.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a.lo posted:

my cat told me there was a direct this week?

Get a dog. They don't lie.

(you can still have your cat obviously; I'm not a monster)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of DQB? I played up to building a kitchen and it seems like a bland and boring game with far too much stupid dialog when accepting/turning in quests. Does it become more interesting later on?

Full disclosure: I'm prepared that it may not be a game for me and that's totally fine.

Its dq, its gonna have frustrating and slow menus/text because nostalgia jingles are more important than your time. Please understand and enjoy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

njsykora posted:

They haven't said anything, but it's an ArcSys game and a) the new Blazblue game is coming out on Switch and b) Xenoverse 2 sold loving insane numbers on Switch so I'd expect it to come over eventually.

Id get it on another platform instead of waiting personally

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Harrow posted:

But basically, yeah, if you die while you're in "body form," you enter "soul form," where your max HP is halved but you can't be invaded by players online. (You also can't summon help.) To get your body back, and therefore the rest of your max HP, you need to kill a boss or use a relatively uncommon consumable item

It's funny how Dark Souls 3 basically does the same thing, except your HP in your "soul form" (undead) is treated like your baseline health and the HP you get from being in "body form" (kindled) is treated as "bonus HP". Functionally identical but with different framing that somehow , psychologically, makes it much easier to swallow

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Their online plan has been such garbage. I haven't bought Splatoon 2, ARMS, or Rocket League (or at least have not prioritized getting them), because I don't want to get any games that will one day be essentially unplayable without paying extra.

Wow so you basically forfeited 6 months of playing Splatoon 2 online for free because someday you might have to pay a very small amount? Good plan, way to stick to your guns. You sure taught Nintendo a lesson.

In completely unrelated news, Splatoon 2 is the first home console game to sell over 2 million units in Japan since 2010.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mahoning posted:

In completely unrelated news, Splatoon 2 is the first home console game to sell over 2 million units in Japan since 2010.

This stat is kinda nuts

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

Wow so you basically forfeited 6 months of playing Splatoon 2 online for free because someday you might have to pay a very small amount? Good plan, way to stick to your guns. You sure taught Nintendo a lesson.

And Switch has been the only console where you can play Rocket League online without paying anything extra, but yeah...better not do that because it'll some day cost a small annual fee that's like half of what MS or Sony charge!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How can I tell which games’ multiplayer is local only and which has online? For certain games that makes the difference wether I want to buy it or not. For example Metal Slug online co-op or King Of Fighters online versus.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Id get it on another platform instead of waiting personally

I'm wondering if the joycons are even any good with fighting games anyway. I'm wondering if I should buy Xenoverse 2 again as it seems like it might be fun on the switch.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Manky posted:

And Switch has been the only console where you can play Rocket League online without paying anything extra, but yeah...better not do that because it'll some day cost a small annual fee that's like half of what MS or Sony charge!

MS gives 4 free games a month with theirs.

Nintendo can't even make My Nintendo's rewards not suck.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

"free"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

track day bro! posted:

I'm wondering if the joycons are even any good with fighting games anyway. I'm wondering if I should buy Xenoverse 2 again as it seems like it might be fun on the switch.

Couple things.

1: the joycon is good for direction based inputs like in pokken. If they put a nether realm game on switch it would work great. Motion based games however are extremely uncomfortable for me personally on the split d buttons.

2: xenoverse is very bad compared to fighterz imo its like a sonic forces vs sonic mania caliber quality gulf that can only be overcome if you love your oc.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Why on earth do people call a feature included in a paid service "free"? Hey guys I got a free flight to San Antonio included with this plane ticket to San Antonio.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cause the payment is for online, not the b-tier indies and 360 games you get included

thexerox123 posted:

Nintendo can't even make My Nintendo's rewards not suck.

Lemme just hold up xbox as a positive example in a debate about pay 2 play online

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So you pay more and get random garbage in exchange, word

lol...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Why on earth do people call a feature included in a paid service "free"? Hey guys I got a free flight to San Antonio included with this plane ticket to San Antonio.

Because I was signed up for Xbox Live before Games with Gold existed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ColdPie posted:

Why on earth do people call a feature included in a paid service "free"? Hey guys I got a free packet of peanuts and a half of a can of sprite included with this plane ticket to San Antonio.

ftfy

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Manky posted:

lol...

Dude, it's been 4 free games a month for years. Yeah, lots of months it's garbage. But I've gotten a lot of great games that I never would have played or tried otherwise.

I've had fun with Sunset Overdrive, Lost Odyssey, Tomb Raider, various Assassin's Creed games, Street Fighter, XCOM, Dark Souls, Mirror's Edge, The Wolf Among Us, Hand of Fate, Back to the Future, Worms, Goat Simulator... are you gonna say all those games are garbage?

If Nintendo said you'd be getting all of those games free on Switch with the online service over the next couple of years, you'd all be freaking out.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 16, 2018

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I mean, you guys can poo poo on PSN (or Sony) and MS all you want... at least they do give you "free" games with your monthly subscription service. They could also just not give you poo poo and then make you pay for the online component. It's not like Nintendo has the best track record ever when it comes to online features. I'm looking at you friend codes that will apparently never die and nebulous "yeah this stuff is gonna cost at some point, maybe, and also maybe you get to rent a SNES game with it or maybe keep it forever? We don't really loving know either!"

Not to mention that, on top of failing to provide poo poo ALL for their weird gold coin reward program, the points ALSO EXPIRE! So if these dudes don't poo poo out something that I can at least spend my gold points on (I only own a Switch, not a 3DS or anything else) then they'll just expire and well, gently caress me I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Switch as much as the next guy and out of my 360/ps4/switch lineup it's easily my most played console but you guys just piling up on Sony and MS for having "lovely" online services is a bit funny considering Nintendos online services are also... well, poo poo.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
My favorite capitalism is better than your favorite capitalism.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Manky posted:

I'm in the same boat about not buying online games. Granted I have RL on PC and played Splatoon into the ground on WiiU so I didn't feel the need to play more. If Nintendo's paid online thing was better explain I may double dip on RL, but it's not been fully explained so I'm content to not play RL while laying in bed. Not spending money on games because you may have to spend more money in the future to continue playing them is a valid and responsible decision. "Small annual fees" can easily add up.

It's me, I'm the cheap old man in the thread.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Dude, it's been 4 free games a month for years. Yeah, lots of months it's garbage. But I've gotten a lot of great games that I never would have played or tried otherwise.

So again, you passed up ABSOLUTELY FREE (as in, you're not paying literally anything, compared to your "free" Games with Gold on XBone) online for multiple games because Nintendo's online plan "has been such garbage" even though they haven't revealed the details of the plan beyond very vague statements and assurances that it's going to be super cheap compared to Sony and Microsoft's online offerings?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mahoning posted:

So again, you passed up ABSOLUTELY FREE (as in, you're not paying literally anything, compared to your "free" Games with Gold on XBone) online for multiple games because Nintendo's online plan "has been such garbage" even though they haven't revealed the details of the plan beyond very vague statements and assurances that it's going to be super cheap compared to Sony and Microsoft's online offerings?

Based on Nintendo's track record with online poo poo, do you really think I should have good faith in their vague plans? It was the voice communication app announcement that really killed my interest. Is anyone really gonna defend that bullshit?

Also, if you'll recall, their paid online was supposed to be enacted last fall. If they had said 2018 to begin with, I may have been more inclined to at least get this length of time with them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

I've had fun with Sunset Overdrive, Lost Odyssey, Tomb Raider, various Assassin's Creed games, Street Fighter, XCOM, Dark Souls, Mirror's Edge, The Wolf Among Us, Hand of Fate, Back to the Future, Worms, Goat Simulator... are you gonna say all those games are garbage?

If Nintendo said you'd be getting all of those games free on Switch with the online service over the next couple of years, you'd all be freaking out.

99% of the time I have already played the games that I would be interested in by the time they come on ps+ so the "free" games literally worthless to me

I don't see how the microsoft or Nintendo feature would be any different.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 16, 2018

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's good MS came up with something that makes people cool with paying 60/year in order for online game features! I imagine Nintendo has been delaying their 20/year plans as they basically try to calibrate their own "yeah I don't wanna pay for it but hey I get xxxx from it" factor.

Yeah I want more details on N's online too, but they've been upfront about the most important things: Price, and once it launches, online multiplayer is going to require it. (I guess there's that one mahjongg game in Japan that's excepted, but ignore that.)

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Manky posted:

lol...

Sorry but Zombi, even without the WiiU stuff is still loving awesome (at least on PC)

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think it does make as much sense as some people think. Maybe later on, at the end of the lifecycle. Like the GBA Micro. But right now the entire concept of the Switch, including the name, is the ability to "switch" between handheld and home console. Coming out with a handheld only would just confuse the issue. And it's not like they need to do something to gin up sales, it's the best selling console ever. I really don't see what they'd gain from coming out with a different Switch that can't even switch.

Sorry, hosed up my reading comprehension.

I see a micro/DX version of the Switch existing, but docking will definitely be a part of whatever that is.

Either that, or Switch 2, and somehow Nintendo gently caress up convincing people it's a new console by doing something like make it look identical or use the same dock or something.

EDIT: Wow lots of people hugely dismissive of getting AAA games less than 2 years old completely bundled free with another service.

Guy makes a good point that if you buy literally every game they ever release, then they aren't of value to you.

Jables88 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 16, 2018

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lodin posted:

Sorry but Zombi, even without the WiiU stuff is still loving awesome (at least on PC)

:D this is the Wii U port celebration station, sing it!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mahoning posted:

And I passed them up for other games that didn't require that stuff. I've been having fun with BotW, Odyssey, Golf Story, DOOM, Stardew Valley, Worms, Overcooked, etc. I just didn't prioritize getting Splatoon, ARMS, or Rocket League (for a third time).

I mean, also, I hadn't played the first Splatoon and this thread was making GBS threads on ARMS a lot. That played into it too.

Basically, they already had an uphill battle in selling me on a franchise that I hadn't played whose spot is already kinda filled by Overwatch for me; ARMS, a game that was getting middling reviews; and a game that I like but already own. If their online system sounded more enticing/good overall, they might have made those sales. But I'm not sure I'll bother to add that additional monthly cost on top of XBL, Netflix, etc, at this point.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 16, 2018

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Because as far as I know, their prices didn't change when introducing the scheme hence free games all those years ago.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

track day bro! posted:

I'm not sure if the joycons would be worse than DS4 or Xbone controllers, but the Pro controller should be equivalent to those.
Also there are arcade sticks available for Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Kotaku just posted that there's a multiplayer Scribblenauts in the works. Mite be cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7M8MEhgZ0

• Locked thread