Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

I'll be that guy and point out that these have nothing to do with ethernet. They're properly called DB9<>8P8C adapters and though technically incorrect DB9<>RJ45 is also acceptable since everyone calls 8P8C RJ45 and we all know what it means. It's still RS-232 signaling the whole way through. Ethernet just also happens to commonly use 8P8C connectors.

This is a RS232<>Ethernet adapter: https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Serial-over-IP/1-port-RS232-serial-over-ip-adapter~NETRS2321P

If you need one and get the other you're going to have a bad time.

I can be the guy that points out Sun Microsystems used to include these with their UltraSPARC II/III era gear. The silver-cased ones they sent were specifically for serial console connections.

I had suspected other vendors also used them, but all the ones I saw were for Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

18 Character Limit posted:

I can be the guy that points out Sun Microsystems used to include these with their UltraSPARC II/III era gear. The silver-cased ones they sent were specifically for serial console connections.

I had suspected other vendors also used them, but all the ones I saw were for Sun.

Yeah, I linked an image to the serial converter. I was actually thinking of the old 15pin AUI connectors.

I've used a lot of those when I worked at an insurance company in the late 90s that handled government claims, and all that poo poo was run off a VAX. The whole computer was about the size of a compact car and the storage unit was the size of a washing machine. All the analysts on the floor connected to it using hyperterminal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Extending RS-232 over long twisted pair cabling is slightly screwy as well, as the wiring isn't balanced. RS-422 and RS-485 covers that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

18 Character Limit posted:

The rs232<->rj45 cable (rather than just a dongle) is still shipped with every cisco ever IIRC.

vvvv: Yeah, I still have an usb->db9 dongle in my backpack and it's probably never going away.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 16, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Truga posted:

The rs232<->rj45 cable (rather than just a dongle) is still shipped with every cisco ever IIRC.
I bought a couple of USB->RJ45 serial cables off eBay on the recommendation of a goon several years ago.

It's really just a FTDI chip built into the plug, but it's still nice to have it as a single unit rather than a USB->DB9->DB9->RJ45 adapter chain.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So basically everyone’s suspicions about how the Hawaii false alarm happened have been confirmed:

https://twitter.com/civilbeat/status/953127542050795520

:catstare:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropic posted:

So basically everyone’s suspicions about how the Hawaii false alarm happened have been confirmed:

hngggg yessss that's the good stuff

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

Wow

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Renegret posted:

hngggg yessss that's the good stuff

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Entropic posted:

Genuine jaw drop from me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yes let's have a screen that allows an operator to spread panic through the entire state with a single click, and where the test options are mere pixels away. Brilliant design.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to know what kind of confirmation / warning dialog you get (if any) when you click one of the options.

I bet that if there even is one it’s a generic “are you sure?” that says nothing specific about the option you chose.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

yes hello IT this is the missile warning person. when i click on this one missile warning some error message comes up i just click OK to make it go away. please fix.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropic posted:

I want to know what kind of confirmation / warning dialog you get (if any) when you click one of the options.

I bet that if there even is one it’s a generic “are you sure?” that says nothing specific about the option you chose.

I'm sure it's identical between all of the options

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

From what I've seen on the news/twitter, it's apparently another white screen with nothing but "Are you sure you want to send this message? Yes No" on it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I mean I guess it’s a good thing we’re finding out the problems and maybe possibly taking steps toward fixing them, but this is like the second-worst possible way to bring attention to UI problems in the early warning system.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I did college radio. EAS was drilled into us (pun intended :haw:). The thing is most stations can't send out EAS warnings, the most they can do is send out weekly tests but that's it. Everything else originates elsewhere, almost always from the NWS in our case (the only thing that didn't was the monthly test, which came from another station).

e: actually, I think the monthly tests did come from the NWS. Don't recall exactly where, but we weren't the point of origin for them. We just did it whenever they came in.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 16, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like a 1996-era Netscape bookmarks.html file

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

It quite possibly is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

bookmarks.html has been a thing well into the firefox lifecycle. maybe still is, i haven't used bookmarks in years

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Omg. This is amazing. :allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:five:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

I'm having chest pains looking at this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Holy poo poo :magical:.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I think we can close the thread now. It's perfect.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:drat:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Flawless. :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jesus Christ.

Properly space your ads, web developers. It's even worse when you're trying to click on something near the top of the page and an ad springs into existence under your cursor.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kurieg posted:

Jesus Christ.

Properly space your ads, web developers. It's even worse when you're trying to click on something near the top of the page and an ad springs into existence under your cursor.

That's working as intended.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kurieg posted:

Jesus Christ.

Why does a missile warning system have ads? We really do live in Idiocracy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I took a class in college on UI design. 90% of the class was me listening to the professor saying "no poo poo, who'd but dumb enough to do that."

I have my answer.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Sickening posted:

Why does a missile warning system have ads? We really do live in Idiocracy.

I-it's a parody.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Entropic posted the tweet which showed the actual screen earlier. It's really not much better than the parody.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Collateral Damage posted:

Entropic posted the tweet which showed the actual screen earlier. It's really not much better than the parody.

the actual is worse

at least the parody is color coded

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh I agree, but it doesn't have ads so kinda worried Sickening was thinking that was the real thing, heh.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

the loving mouse wiggle oh my god i'm in tears

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A lot of tickets came in. We're having a snowstorm in Louisiana. Everyone decided they need VPN access TODAY despite us telling them to do this constantly so we won't get flooded with this poo poo during an actual "emergency".

:stare:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

A lot of tickets came in. We're having a snowstorm in Louisiana. Everyone decided they need VPN access TODAY despite us telling them to do this constantly so we won't get flooded with this poo poo during an actual "emergency".

:stare:

So you guys got a 1/8 of an inch of snow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:pusheen:

This sort of thing is the bane of my impatient web browsing.