Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Moose-Alini posted:

I love seeing new people playing this game. Brings me back, how terrifying the guardian piano music and laser sight was, and the feeling of power when you finally start actively hunting them.

What a game.

Yeah. Storming the castle is a lot of fun, but the "secret" entrances they created are really great too. I explored them, but I had no need for them at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah. Storming the castle is a lot of fun, but the "secret" entrances they created are really great too. I explored them, but I had no need for them at that point.

I just started scaling the back wall but it started raining mid climb, I fell into the moat right in front of the moat entrance to the shrine cave behind the library. Such a cool moment.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

LODGE NORTH posted:

Look, y'all. Last time I posted here, I was in the same place I am now. I'm on the first divine beast and I haven't played the game in ages. He hit me once with his spear and it was game over for me. Is it supposed to be like this? I don't think it's supposed to be like this.

Yeah you can leave anything anytime and it will remember your progress.

Get some armor, like the soldier armor can be found in some of the early cities. Either Hateno or Kakariko I think. Maybe upgrade it all once and your durability really raises.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

Yeah you can leave anything anytime and it will remember your progress.

Get some armor, like the soldier armor can be found in some of the early cities. Either Hateno or Kakariko I think. Maybe upgrade it all once and your durability really raises.

Trying to buy the soldier armor and it's saying there's 0 stock available. Do I have to do a thing?

fake edit: I'm looking at the numbers when I stand next to it and it looks like only 2 out of the 3 things will raise any stats. The armor drops me from a 5 to a 4, but the other stuff raises me from 3 to 4.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LODGE NORTH posted:

Trying to buy the soldier armor and it's saying there's 0 stock available. Do I have to do a thing?

fake edit: I'm looking at the numbers when I stand next to it and it looks like only 2 out of the 3 things will raise any stats. The armor drops me from a 5 to a 4, but the other stuff raises me from 3 to 4.

You should upgrade it at the Great Fairy. Soldier stuff tends to gain 4 armor per level compared to most other armor's 3, but the Champion's tunic is the strongest armor in the game and gets 5 per level instead.

Remember each point equals a quarter heart of damage negated so it scales up really quick.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I just started scaling the back wall but it started raining mid climb, I fell into the moat right in front of the moat entrance to the shrine cave behind the library. Such a cool moment.

Hyrule Castle is the future of dungeon design. I hope they realize this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

1. Unlike every other Zelda game, stealth is an actual core mechanic in BotW

That doesn't make it good though.

RCarr posted:

There's like 10 different ways to trivialize the yiga hideout and none of them are difficult.

Or fun!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

s.i.r.e. posted:

Or fun!

It is both good and fun though.

Also you can just kill everyone if you want so...? You don't need to sneak, you just need to be good enough to take on several Yiga at once.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Zore posted:

Also you can just kill everyone if you want so...? You don't need to sneak, you just need to be good enough to take on several Yiga at once.

It was super satisfying to go back there and murder the gently caress out of everything about a hundred hours a playtime later.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Or fun!

I thought it was fun :shrug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

I thought it was fun :shrug:

And you were correct!

Others found it not fun and they were also correct but they shouldn't expect everything in every game to be fun for them because that is impossible and more than a little dumb!

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

LODGE NORTH posted:

Get the helmet and pants. The blue shirt is better than not upgraded torso armor, but the goal is to get all the numbers as big as you can. Upgrading them at a great fairy is a big priority.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got this for christmas, and the slow realization I had that nintendo turned the Zora into ELVES after Zoras domain was amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

They get insta-kill attacks they don't have anywhere else, though. That's not ideal for the direct approach.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

They get insta-kill attacks they don't have anywhere else, though. That's not ideal for the direct approach.

Also, IIRC, your auto-revive abilities (pocket fairy, Mipha's Grace) don't work at all in there. This was something I wasn't a fan of.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

Get the helmet and pants. The blue shirt is better than not upgraded torso armor, but the goal is to get all the numbers as big as you can. Upgrading them at a great fairy is a big priority.

Just so I’m understanding you guys correctly, I should buy the helmet and pants then upgrade at the fairy?

How do I go about actually buying them though? The store says there’s 0 available.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just so I’m understanding you guys correctly, I should buy the helmet and pants then upgrade at the fairy?

How do I go about actually buying them though? The store says there’s 0 available.

You should see the armor on stands. Walk up to the stands and buy them. If the armor isn't there, it sounds like you've already bought them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How many hearts do you have?

LODGE NORTH posted:

Post a screenshot

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Artadius posted:

it sounds like you've already bought them.

This.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dont you get a shirt from impa thats better than the soldier armor?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

The x0 is the quantity of the armor that you have. The one the store has in stock to sell to you is the one you see on display in-world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You have zero in your inventory. If you press the button "A" (it's the one furthest to the right on your controller, look for the symbol that matches the first letter of the english alphabet) you will "buy" it as the on screen prompt indicates. Buying something means to exchange money (in this case Rupees the currency of Hyrule) for goods (the armor). Specifically 200 and 250 rupees which add up to 450. Seeing as you have 508, you have sufficient funds to purchase both items.

I hope this helps, I know it can be complicated.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

When I press A, it makes the noise, but it doesn't actually let me buy anything.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you're cursed

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did you murder the shop keeper

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Restarted, still doing the same thing. Did I break the whole poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What did you do to Sophie

WHERE IS SOPHIE YOU MONSTER

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

You have zero in your inventory. If you press the button "A" (it's the one furthest to the right on your controller, look for the symbol that matches the first letter of the english alphabet) you will "buy" it as the on screen prompt indicates. Buying something means to exchange money (in this case Rupees the currency of Hyrule) for goods (the armor). Specifically 200 and 250 rupees which add up to 450. Seeing as you have 508, you have sufficient funds to purchase both items.

I hope this helps, I know it can be complicated.

I wish I could empty quote this 100 times. :doh:

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 16, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did you continue to press A to progress through Sophie's dialogue boxes before she gets to the purchase one

Just trying to brainstorm here

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There's no dialogue after I press A. There's just a little notification or something noise and the "Buy" thing flashes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I guess you really are cursed then

You're supposed to press A and then they tell you the price and you press A again to buy it

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

There's no dialogue after I press A. There's just a little notification or something noise and the "Buy" thing flashes.
Is there anyone in the room? All I can think of is that the shopkeeper might have gone somewhere, but I don't think they're supposed to do that.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Pharohman777 posted:

I got this for christmas, and the slow realization I had that nintendo turned the Zora into ELVES after Zoras domain was amazing.

Honestly they arent, really. The one thing I always likes about Zelda was that the fantasy races weren't just regular Elves, Dwarves, and orcs, etc. Zelda goes more for races that feel more in tune with the elements. They arent really elves, they are water people. The gorons arent really dwarves, they are rock and earth people. The rito are wind/sky people. Deku are organic plant people. The Gerudo are kind of weird in that they first seemed like just desert hylians but over time now feel more like their own race. There is no real direct analogue between zelda races and typical western fantasy races, just a few similarities.

Which is great because it makes their societies more interesting and sensical by far

Zora's domain was very elvish in design though, more so than before for sure.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 16, 2018

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Today, I learned that being wet will protect you from Death Mountain's heat for a little bit. Instead of bursting into flames, you'll just have steam rising off your body for 10-15 seconds and you won't take damage.

I also learned that regular chu jelly will get you wet if you just throw it on the ground and hit it. So rubbing chu jelly all over your body is technically a decent way to get through Death Mountain if you don't have other means available.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Spergatory posted:

Today, I learned that being wet will protect you from Death Mountain's heat for a little bit. Instead of bursting into flames, you'll just have steam rising off your body for 10-15 seconds and you won't take damage.

I also learned that regular chu jelly will get you wet if you just throw it on the ground and hit it. So rubbing chu jelly all over your body is technically a decent way to get through Death Mountain if you don't have other means available.

This owns a lot hahaha

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Can you post a video? Hold down the capture button after you try it and it will make a video of the last 30 seconds of play.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah maybe rest until noon at a fire nearby. I don't remember if they go to sleep and you can't buy.

But about upgrades, you should always try and upgrade everything, even the blue champion shirt.

I think that the blue champion shirt is better than the chest armor until you upgrade the armor twice, so for now stick to the blue one. It is, after upgrading on of the best armored in the game. Later you can find armor that's as good but not sure if anything ever gets better not counting set bonuses.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also, unrelated to buying armor, you can go do a bunch of shrines and get more hearts before you fight a boss. Faries help, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I now love the Ganon sneak set because I just found out it causes all the NPC's to freak out when you walk up to them while wearing it.