Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

:pusheen:

This sort of thing is the bane of my impatient web browsing.

my favorite part of ad block is this not happening.

or happening then reverting, which can get annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
you know it's a fun ticket when you literally have to start citing research papers in your response

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

RFC2324 posted:

my favorite part of ad block is this not happening.

or happening then reverting, which can get annoying

My adblock seems to be working for facebook now but it's delayed. I'm getting ads I want to see and then by the time I move the mouse for more info it disappears forever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I started studying interface design (both virtual and real world) back in the nineties and as a result I'm pretty much angry at every interface I ever see. Door handles that require PUSH or PULL signs in particular make me want to slap someone.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dick Trauma posted:

I started studying interface design (both virtual and real world) back in the nineties and as a result I'm pretty much angry at every interface I ever see. Door handles that require PUSH or PULL signs in particular make me want to slap someone.

With a stupid enough user, every door handle requires a sign.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Prism posted:

Which they will not read and assume it is locked anyways.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

chin up everything sucks posted:

So you guys got a 1/8 of an inch of snow?

We haven't gotten snow yet this time. :v:

A few weeks ago, we got, I think, around 2 inches.

If I have to work from home, that's fine. I just expect other departments to be ready.

I am also a man who is disappointed by others often.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

minusX posted:

My adblock seems to be working for facebook now but it's delayed. I'm getting ads I want to see and then by the time I move the mouse for more info it disappears forever.

yeah ABP has been doing this for me for the last month or two.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

bookmarks.html has been a thing well into the firefox lifecycle. maybe still is, i haven't used bookmarks in years
Firefox 3 was when they switched to SQLite for bookmarks and a bunch of other things, but many browsers still support both importing and exporting classic bookmarks.html format.

minusX posted:

I've been seeing this for a few weeks as well, and similarly it seems to be doing it mostly to ads I'm actually interested in while the ads I do see I usually don't care about.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Yeah it's like "finally a good FB ad!" and it just ghost on me. Maybe they want to know I really want the info about it. I'm assuming it's the reverse of the waiting for the ad to load thing and more it's rendering everything and noticing the ad.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A ticket came in: I was trying to log into this other person’s account and it didn’t work, could you please unlock her account and change her password?

I hope I’m not becoming a BOFH, but sometimes saying no feels so good.

E: My manager emailed me and congratulated me on handling the request perfectly. First I said it would be a violation of security policy, then when she pushed back I sent her the acceptable use policy that was sent to every employee last week saying never to share passwords.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 16, 2018

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Prism posted:

not so much, beyond a point the design can be counter-intuitive(push doors with pull bars on them, etc) such doors are "Norman doors"

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

The Iron Rose posted:

you know it's a fun ticket when you literally have to start citing research papers in your response
:justpost:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

:perfect:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I didn't elaborate as it's wasn't actually that fun other than the fact I had to cite a research paper in the comments :v:. I was analyzing various DNS records/IP logs in response to possible domain fluxing and I had to rely on a study which distinguished between characteristics of legitimate domain names and pseudo-random domain names, that's it. The only funny bit is the actual citation

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 16, 2018

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Elizabethan Error posted:

not so much, beyond a point the design can be counter-intuitive(push doors with pull bars on them, etc) such doors are "Norman doors"

I have this guy's book! It is a pro read, turns out interface design is distressingly easy to gently caress up despite how easy it seems it ought to be

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Design of Everyday Things is a pro read

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thanks Ants posted:

I sort of wish I'd never read it. :argh:

"How Buildings Learn" is another interesting one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is also a good read

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Collapse.html?id=UK7PngEACAAJ&redir_esc=y

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lol the book description:

quote:

This makes the investigation of these failures -- by agencies like the Failure Analysis Associates, who can have close to two thousand investigations ongoing at any one time -- dirty and dangerous business. Wearne's case study takes us deep inside the ever-growing industry of forensic engineering, revealing a group of professionals dedicated to determining the cause of a collapse at any cost, while learning and applying valuable lessons from each failure.

Determining the cause of the collapse AT ANY COST, makes it sound like they are going to build an exact replica of the building/structure and collapse with it, perhaps TO DEATH.

Just struck me as funny and trying to make something extremely suspenseful that, to me anyway, sounds like an extremely mundane/boring thing to be doing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm gonna pick this up, it sounds real neat

Thanks, Ants.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And while we're on the subject of book about things, there's probably an equivalent that explores US architecture but this is excellent

https://www.ribabookshops.com/item/englands-post-war-listed-buildings/82843/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

Determining the cause of the collapse AT ANY COST, makes it sound like they are going to build an exact replica of the building/structure and collapse with it, perhaps TO DEATH.

strikes me as more of a James Bond type scenario... Secret agent sneaking into the rubble of a collapsed skyscraper, sleeping with a beautiful first responder, maybe taking a flamethrower to some steel beams

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

strikes me as more of a James Bond type scenario... Secret agent sneaking into the rubble of a collapsed skyscraper, sleeping with a beautiful first responder, maybe taking a flamethrower to some steel beams

"This char pattern.....only the Kremlin has the technology to do this! I must inform the Chief!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:five:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

And while we're on the subject of book about things, there's probably an equivalent that explores US architecture but this is excellent

https://www.ribabookshops.com/item/englands-post-war-listed-buildings/82843/

Not quite that, but A Burglar's Guide to the City is a brilliant book about how burglars use architecture to their advantage, such as going in through walls when the doors and windows are more secure, or using fire codes and the pattern of windows and fire escapes to map the inside of a building without ever stepping inside it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dick Trauma posted:

I sort of wish I'd never read it. :argh:

The inside car door handle problem (a handle you have to pull to open a door that needs to be pushed!? :rant:) is an example that's always stuck with me that illustrates how it can sometimes be impossible to create a simple interface that does exactly and only what you want it to in every situation; either you push to push and accidentally fall out while driving, or pull to push and struggle to get out in an emergency.

You can fix it with fancy conditional locks and poo poo but that requires actually spending significant money on design and engineering, which I guess should be the real lesson of the whole book: stop winging it and hire a UI expert already.

A ticket came in to the War Thunder thread:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
:five:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

I actually read this last year but I was disappointed it didn't contain more stuff like this. The original title was "The Psychology of Everyday Things," and I felt that title was more accurate. After you get out of the door section there's a lot less about design.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renaissance Robot posted:

holy poo poo

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A client just asked us if we, a service that supports SAML SSO, supports Windows 10 SSO.

Um... yea sure why not, whatever the gently caress you mean by that.

Win 10 doesn't have an SSO does it? I'm assuming they mean ADFS

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe they mean "can an Azure AD enrolled machine use your service without signing in again?"

Loads of stuff about it in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjDKdoDR3E

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 17, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renaissance Robot posted:

The mouse action in both of these gifs is the most verisimilitude I've seen in media for a long time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

The mouse action in both of these gifs is the most verisimilitude I've seen in media for a long time.

It really does.

I can absolutely believe that was a screen recording. In each one the mouse movement at the end indicates a definite "WHAT?! OH NONONONONONO!"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I love these things and how the internet is running with them

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zil posted:

I love these things and how the internet is running with them

Even better would be "DON'T send missile alert" so you uncheck it reflexively with the rest of them

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

gently caress printers? How about printers after a year of storage on a building site.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Data Graham posted:

Even better would be "DON'T send missile alert" so you uncheck it reflexively with the rest of them

Don't send missile alert is a child of Install the Ask Toolbar and you can't leave it checked without installing the toolbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Actually sorry to interrupt the fun, but some users think technology is literally magic. Request that just came in:

quote:

2. There are many documents that have links in them to other documents. Are you able to see what documents have links on our drive for us and provide a list? Or is this something you don’t have access to?

Now, they did say "or is this something you don't have access to," but it felt pretty perfunctory as in "well of course this can be done, just maybe not by you?"

It *might* be possible with powershell to scrape all the files in a folder and look for hyperlinks in them, and then get an output of the destination of those links. But holy poo poo I don't even want to begin to consider trying that.