Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

-The Forgeworld of Aes III, date 1 056 734.M42

The great forges of the planet Aes III dot the planet like enormous mountains of steel and ferrocrete rising up from the dry, radiation-charred plains. Seven Primus Forges sit equidistant around the planet's equator and countless smaller Secundus Forges sprawl out all away from them, connected by the root-like bulk transit tubes that shuttle billions of tons of materials and processed goods through them like blood through veins. Beyond and between each forge is an endless waste of pollution-fouled land where clouds of radiation and toxic fumes float like a horrid fog, the planet's harsh sun bakes everything beneath it, and storms of acid can fall without warning from the sky. The planet has long ago been bled of its abundant resources, leaving only blasted desolation, but trillions of tons of raw materials are shuttled to the planet's surface each year to be fed into the ravenous furnaces and manufactorums to be transformed into the weapons and technology that the Imperium of Man relies upon to survive. Each Primus, and many of the Secundus, forge-spires were first constructed during the Dark Age of Technology. Each one dug down until they hit the bedrock of the planet's crust and then built ever upward, expanding upwards into the smog-blackened sky as lower layers were abandoned to disuse and disrepair. Now, over ten thousand years after their construction, the lowest levels of the spires are a hive forgotten and collapsing tunnels, unused manufacturing domes, and tightly sealed vaults of technology and supplies that haven't seen light since the days before the God-Emperor walked among the stars.

-A hallway deep in the under-forge.

These surface and subterranean levels of the forge are, unfortunately, not completely uninhabited either. At the top of the "under-forge" are the wild gangs, warlords, and dregs of humanity who fight bitterly for every resource they can find that falls from the layers above them. Pipes that pump potable water from deep below to the very tops of the spire are as hotly contested as the salvage grounds from which the gangers can find discarded junk that they can forge into weapons or tools, or even discover more valuable tech that can be utilized or bartered. But their levels have largely been picked clean, while there are still countless levels below that remain relatively untouched.

By human hands, anyway.

Even further down below the planet's ground are are the layers known as the deep-forge. Infested with mutants fleeing righteous persecution, servitors that have gone feral and wander the endless corridors attacking all that they see or attempting to perform a task long since forgotten about, and worse yet animal life who's evolution was super-charged by strange energies or experiments gone awry have formed complex ecosystem of predators preying on anything foolish enough to venture down from above. There are tales of things that are worse still even further below, such as once holy technology twisted into grotesque parodies of themselves that seek to spread their corruption and bring ruin to humanity, or of insane techno-witches who summon malefic machine spirits to haunt the forges.

-An ancient excavation servitor, now feral and hunting for victims

But the Imperium as a whole, and the Priesthood of Mars specifically, have great desire and need of the powerful archeotech that such horrors guard, and they will stop at nothing to get it. Elite teams of Skittari led by brash, young tech-priests working to curry favor from the masters they apprentice under often delve into the deep-forges searching for troves of ancient and uncorrupted technology. Other Magi of the Machine Cult hire mercenaries from the undergangs, or from Rogue Traders or other groups that are common on the fringes of human civilization. Often Skittari and mercenary work together, pooling resources to press ever deeper below the surface in search of greater discoveries. Most never return, their teams killed to a man. The lucky, or perhaps unlucky, who do survive are often traumatized beyond imagining. The rarest of all are those that actively choose to adventure into the depths multiple times. Whether through bravery or insanity those men and women who choose to journey down below again and again are true heroes of humanity, who's sacrifices will often go unremembered. But such is life as an Archeotech Hunter.

Hello! I want to run a game of Dark Heresy, 2nd edition. You will be playing as an archeologist iiiinnn sppaaaaaaaaaaace! I am looking for idealy four players who can post at least once a week. This game will not be all combat, and inventive thinking and use of skills is highly encouraged to circumvent enemies and the environment. Characters can be from any planet, not just Aes III, and can represent either mercenary forces or the Priesthood of Mars as either Tech-Priests or Skitarii. Please make your characters using standard point buy and standard experience plus 500 bonus XP for a starting total XP of 1,500, no advanced Roles please. Psykers are allowed, but I will be very hesitant to include more than one.

Additionally! Describe one piece of archeotech that your character has discovered on a previous expedition that they were allowed to keep. Describe what the item looks like, feels like, is made of, and other details about it's form but NOT what it does or how it operates. Describe it as if you were a 18th century noble trying to describe a smart phone. If your character is picked, I will tell you what your item actually is, and it will be part of your starting inventory. This will not be any kind of weapon or armor, but some sort of tool or piece of equipment.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask in thread or in PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I'm interested. Will aim to have a Sanctioned Psyker up tonight.

quote:

Name: Aythe Merret
Homeworld: Voidborn
Background: Adeptus Astra Telepathica
Role: Mystic

Divination: 18 - The wise learns from the deaths of others. +3 Agility/-3 BS.

Wounds: 9
Fate: 4
Psy Rating: 3

Characteristics:
WS 25
BS 25-3 = 22
-Strength 20
Toughness 25+15 = 40
Agility 25+15+3 = 38
+Intelligence 30+10 = 40
Perception 25+10 = 35
+Willpower 30+10 = 40
Fellowship 25
Influence 25

Aptitudes:

Intelligence
Psyker
Defense
Willpower
Knowledge
Perception
Agility
Finesse

Skills:

Awareness
Common Lore (Adeptus Astra Telepathica)
Interrogation
Forbidden Lore (the Warp)
Psyniscience
Dodge

Talents:

Weapon Training (Las, Low-Tech)
Warp Sense
Strong Minded
Jaded

Traits:

Child of the Dark: A voidborn character starts with the Strong Minded talent, and gains a +30 bonus to tests for moving in a zero gravity environment.

The Constant Threat: When the character or an ally within 10 metres triggers a roll on Table 6–2: Psychic Phenomenon (see page 196), the Adeptus Astra Telepathica character can increase or decrease the result by amount equal to his Willpower bonus.

Tested on Terra: If the character takes the Psyker elite advance during character creation, he also gains the Sanctioned trait (see page 138).

Stare into the Warp: A Mystic character starts the game with the Psyker elite advance (see page 90).

Sanctioned: If a Sanctioned character gains the Psyker elite advance, he does not gain the Corruption normally inflicted with that advance and starts at psy rating of 2 instead of 1.

Gear:

Laspistol
Staff
Light Flak Cloak
Psy Focus
Imperial Guard Flak Armor (Acquisition)
Auspex (Acquisition)

Psy Powers:
Telekinetic Control
Assail
Telekine Shield
Warp Perception

Advances: (1500/1500xp)
Psy Rating 3 - 600xp
Jaded - 200xp
Dodge - 100xp
Telekinetic Control - 100xp
Assail - 200xp
Telekine Shield - 200xp
Warp Perception - 100xp

Elite Advances:
Psyker

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 14, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Caradani IX is one of the many small worlds that supplies Aes III with raw materials - ore, fuel and human. On the fringes of the subsector and with a limited population this arid and hostile world has bred a self reliant populace, who make use of light mechanized and heavy reconnaissance elements in their PDF and occasional Guard tithing. This stands them in good stead against Ork pirates who come from nearby systems and the 'feral' orks that grow like weeds in their wake. Ilsa Polman is one of many exceptional Sentinel pilots who has matriculated from this harsh school, in addition to being a qualified scout and sharpshooter. Her regiment was mauled in a battle against the forces of a notorious Ork Kaptain and she was listed as missing and presumed dead when the regiment was pulled away to be reinforced and refitted. Her tale of survival and endurance is commendable, but rather too lengthy for this document. Suffice to say it has made her more taciturn and suspicious of strangers, and determined not to be caught unawares again. Having no way to prove to the satisfaction of the Imperial bureaucracy that she is in fact alive she now exists as a soldier of fortune, who by virtue of her technical skill and combat prowess has made her way to Aes III and entered the employ of an Arcehotech hunting team.

starting relic posted:

a perfectly smooth opaque crystal sphere, with an oil-slick sheen to the surface. exhibits neutral buoyancy, but scans cannot detect a hollow interior. no response to standard data interrogation, trace electromagnetic activity, radioactivity above background but not at levels harmful to human health. presumed to be an art object and thus of little interest to the Mechanicus

quote:

CHARACTER NAME: Ilsa Polman
HOME WORLD: Frontier
BACKGROUND: Imperial Guard
ROLE: Ace
ELITE ADVANCES:
DIVINATION: Divination: 1d100 58 Violence solves everything.
BUILD: Rangy
COMPLEXION: Olive
HAIR: Khaki
EYES: Violet
QUIRKS: Long Fingers
SUPERSTITIONS: See the Good First: None should trust a gun until it’s fired and draws blood or saves a life. Shun strangers until they
show evidence of their worthiness.
MEMENTOS: Wide-brimmed Hat, Ork Toof Necklace

Characteristics:
  • WS 30 (25 +5)
  • BS 48 (30 +10 +5 +3)
  • S 30 (25 +5)
  • T 30 (25 +5)
  • A 42 (25 +15 +5 -3)
  • Int 30 (25 +5)
  • Per 45 (30 +10 +5)
  • WP 30 (25 +5)
  • Fel 20 (20)
  • Inf 25 (25)

Wounds: 7+1d5 Wounds: 1d5+7 10
Fate Threshold: 34 (7+) fate Threshold 7+: 1d10 8
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0
Aptitudes:
  • Agility (Role)
  • Ballistic Skill (Homeworld)
  • Finesse (Role)
  • Fieldcraft (Background)
  • Perception (Role)
  • Tech (Role)
  • Willpower (Role)

Skills:
  • Acrobatics
  • Athletics
  • Awareness
  • Command
  • Common Lore (Imperial Guard)
  • Dodge
  • Operate (Surface)
  • Navigate (Surface)
  • Scrutiny
  • Stealth
  • Survival
  • Tech Use

Talents & Traits:
  • Weapon Training (Las, Low-Tech,) (Background)
  • Hard Target (Role)
  • Ambidextrous (Advance)

Special Abilities:

Rely on None but Yourself: A frontier world character gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying personal weapon modifications, and a +10 bonus when repairing damaged items

Hammer of the Emperor: When attacking a target that an ally attacked since the end of the Guardsman’s last turn, the Guardsman can re-roll any results of 1 or 2 on damage rolls.

Right Stuff: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points an Ace character may spend a Fate point to automatically succeed at an Operate or Survival skill test involving vehicles or living steeds with a number of degrees of success equal to his Agility bonus.

Equipment Carrying Capacity / kg:
  • Laspistol 2x Charge Pack
  • Sword
  • Combat Vest
  • Imperial Guard Flak Armour
  • Grapnel and Line
  • 12 Lhosticks
  • Magnoculars
  • Long-Las w/ Red Dot Sight, 2x Charge Pack (Starting Acquisitions)

XP/Spent: 1500/1500
  • BS Basic 100
  • A Basic 100
  • P Basic 100
  • Acrobatics Known 100
  • Awareness Known 100
  • Scrutiny Known 100
  • Stealth Known 100
  • Survival Known 100
  • Dodge Known 200
  • Tech Use Known 200
  • Ambidextrous 300

pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
30  48   30  30  42  30  45  30  25

Wounds: 10/10   Fate: 4/4  Initiative: 1d10+4
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 3  TB: 3
Armour: 4 [Head/Arms/Body/Legs]
Athletics 30
Acrobatics: 42
Awareness: 45
Dodge: 42
Scrutiny: 45

Weapons:

Laspistol(Overload) RANGE: 30m ROF: S/2/– DAM: 1d10+2(4) E PEN: 0(2) CLIP: 30(8) RLD: Half 
SPECIAL:Reliable (Unreliable)
Clips: 2 Standard (30/30, 30/30)

Long-las (Overload) RANGE: 150m ROF: S/–/– DAM: 1d10+3(5) E PEN: 1(3) CLIP: 40(10) RLD: Full 
SPECIAL: Accurate, Felling (4), Reliable (Unreliable)
Clips: 2 Standard (40/40, 40/40)

Sword

Noteworthy Talents:

Special Abilities

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 11, 2018

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Interested. Need to think about what I want to app, though.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Gonna make me an underpaid Tech-Priest

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Iggi the Spider

If you're wonderin' what kind of spider is as strong and smashy as it is sneaky, well, you never met the spiders where I'm from. Twice as tall as a man, with a scream you could feel in your bones. They'd peel open shacks and suck out the meaty bits inside. I got the name from my resemblance, and because I'm right smashy. Like the spiders. The spiders were tasty, too. Not sure if I'm tasty. Anyway, the key was to kill 'em in one or two hits, real fast, so they couldn't return the favor. I was good at hunting 'em, but then again if you weren't good you didn't live. A spider could feed a settlement for a week, or even longer if you had some mutants who could tolerate eatin' the poison bits. So that's what I did: I smashed spiders and then dragged the carcass to the nearest settlement, sold the meat I didn't keep for myself. Spent the clink on drinks and female company.

Anyway, so one day this noble-looking guy shows up with a whole gaggle of idjits in tow, sayin' he's a big game hunter and he's gonna hunt him a spider. Called it a "Proxi IV Underhive Megarachnid," which seemed pretty dumb to me at the time. I wasn't aware there were any other kinds of spider, see. Figured everybody just had to put up with the things. He wants a local guide, and he's offerin' major clink. I figure that, hey, maybe I'll buy a new head for my spider-smashin' axe. All I gotta do is make sure these guys don't get eaten. How hard could it be?

Well, they got eaten, mostly because they insisted on killin' it themselves. I tried to tell 'em guns were no good, but they just laughed at the big dumb mutant. See, the spiders didn't really have much in the way of vital spots like people do. To kill 'em you had to either completely smash the head or inflict a wound big enough that they'd bleed out real fast. Little holes like from bullets and lasguns just pissed 'em off. So pretty soon the only one left is the main noble guy, and he's my meal ticket, so I rush in and kill the spider. Off goes the head, he gets drenched in green ichor, but at least he's alive. I was a bit worried he wouldn't pay, since I ran in when he told me not to, but he was... well, he was pretty much blubbering and kissing my feet. Said he was a "rogue trader." I told him I wasn't in the market for rogues. So after he explains what that means, he offers to hire me on as a bodyguard of sorts. Well, I said, it beats spending the rest of my life in the spider caves.

It's been a couple years since then. Turns out my spider strategy works pretty well on all kinds of critters. Just kill 'em before they kill you. Easy. Anyway, the bossman had some kind of long-standin' deal with the cogs. They fix up his ship for free, in return he lends them some of his talent when they need it. And the thing is, the ship got tore up real bad recently. Bit off more than we could chew against some orks. Now we're stuck in drydock for like, a year. I was going stircrazy, so I volunteered as soon as I heard the cogs had asked him for some mercenary assistance. And I gotta say, it's been pretty fun. Been too long since I got to wander around in endless tunnels and caves. It's like being back home, except with less spiders. And it's so simple: just keep the cogheads from getting murdered by whatever monster they insist on poking, smash any hereteks I find, and at the end of the expedition I get more clink and shiny stuff than I know what to do with. Oh, they're a little uncomfortable about havin' me around, but that discomfort goes away real quick when something shows up in need of smashing. Heh heh. Good times.

Iggi's Archaeotech Item

It's a long leather glove, reaching most of the way up the left forearm. There's a plastic box mounted on the forearm portion. The box is covered in dozens of small worn buttons. They look like they were once labeled, but the paint is long gone. When the buttons are pressed, a small clear area on the right face of the box displays a variety of glowing orange symbols, none of which Iggi can parse. Three red wires run from the box along the wrist and connect to a thin metal plate in the center of the palm. Five more wires extend from the plate. The wires run up the fingers of the glove, connecting to tiny metal circles on the fingertips. The metal portions of the glove are perpetually ice-cold to the touch and have a faint iridescent sheen.

pre:
Name: Iggi the Spider
Homeworld: Hive World
Background: Mutant
Role: Assassin
Aptitudes: Perception, Offence, Agility, Weapon Skill, Fieldcraft, Finesse, Strength*
Divination: Be a boon to your allies and the bane of your enemies. (Free Hatred)

Characteristics:

WS:   40 (+15)
BS:   25
S:    40 (+15)
T:    30 (+5)
Agi:  40 (+10)
Int:  25
Per:  40 (+10)
WP:   20
Fel:  25
Inf:  30 (+5)

Wounds: 12
Fate: 3

Corruption: 10

Skills:

Acrobatics
Athletics
Awareness +10
Dodge
Intimidate
Forbidden Lore (Mutants)
Stealth +10
Survival

Talents:

Crushing Blow
Devastating Assault
Hatred (Hereteks)
Jaded
WT (LT, SP)

Traits/Mutations:

Deathsight
Unnatural Strength (1)

Abilities:

Teeming Masses in Metal Mountains
Twisted Flesh
Sure Kill

Gear:

Mono Greataxe (Great Weapon)
Stub Revolver
Grapnel and Line
Heavy Leathers
Imperial Guard Flak Armour
Combat Vest
Photovisor
Stimm (2 Doses)

Acquisitions:

Mono Upgrade (Great Weapon)
Photovisor
Imperial Guard Flak Armor

XP Spent       1500/1500

Athletics-100
Awareness +10-200
Dodge-200
Stealth-100
Stealth +10-200
Crushing Blow-400
Devastating Assault-300
Wounds, Fate, Divination, Mutation: 1d5 4 1d10 9 1d100 15 5d10 26

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 13, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Please make all rolls by Orokos or some other verifiable means.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Footless Max

Footless Max was once an enforcer in "The Blood Crocks", one of the gangs that dominated life in the under-forge. Life was good. He had a crew of gangers, a turf of his own, and what passes for wealth, down amongst the dregs of Aes III. It all came to an end when the capo of the gang died in an "accident" Max backed the wrong horse in the succession fight, and ended up having to flee for his life after Jax "Hammer" decided to purge the gang of anyone who had opposed him. Max drifted through the upper levels of the deep-forge for a while, surviving on his quick wit and quicker gun. Probably would have died all alone down there, had he not run into a lost crew of techies, searching for their arky-treasure. He'd helped them find their way back to a safe exit in exchange for a few ration packs and some ammo. They told him about the great treasures hidden far below the surface, and the great dangers. He'd known about the latter, but the former intrigued him. The crew asked him to be their hidden back-up when they met their contact, which turned out to be a wise precaution, as the meet was clearly a set-up. Half the crew ended up in the recycling tanks, but so did the treacherous contact and his goons. The survivors scattered to the ducts, but they let Max have one of the trinkets they'd found. Now he's offering his services as a guide to other seekers; the lure of wealth beyond measure has drawn him, as well as the prospect of being part of a crew again.

Max's Item

He'd thought it was a lantern at first. It's small box about 8x4x4 inches, with a metal handle on top. On the sides, near the bottom, there are a number of buttons and switches. Above that, the four sides glow softly in a few colors, although Max can't figure out what makes it change colors. Attached from the bottom is a metal pole about two feet long, linked to the box by a wire. The whole apparatus is a lot lighter than it seems like it should be, and so far, hasn't run out of charge. Which is good, because Max isn't sure how to recharge it.

pre:
Name: Footless Max
Homeworld: Forge World
Background: Outcast
Role: Seeker
Aptitudes: Intelligence, Fieldcraft, Fellowship, Ballistic Skill, Perception, Social, Tech
Divination:  Truth is subjective

Characteristics:  

WS:   25
BS:   35 (+10)
S:    25
T:    30
Agi:  35 (+10)
Int:  40 (+10)
Per:  38 (+10+3)
WP:   25
Fel:  45 (+20+5)
Inf:  25

Wounds: 12

Skills:

Acrobatics
Awareness
Charm + 10
Common Lore (Underworld)
Deceive +10
Dodge
Medicae
Navigate Surface
Scrutiny
Security
Stealth
Survival
Tech Use

Talents:

Clues From the Crowds
Keen Intuition
Technical Knock
Weapon Training (Chain, SP)

Abilities:

Omnissiah's Chosen
Never Quit
Nothing Escapes my Sight

Gear:
Autopistol Pistol 30m S/–/6 1d10+2 I 0 18 Full — 
Chainsword Melee — 1d10+2 R 2 Balanced, Tearing
Shotgun (Combat) Basic 30m S/3/– 1d10+4 I 0 18 Full Scatter
Flak Vest Body 3 60 
Injector
2 doses of Obscura
Photo-visors

Acquisitions:
Combat Shotgun
Photo-visors

XP Spent       1500/1500

Awareness (100)
Charm (100)
Charm +10 (200)
Clues from the Crowds (200)
Deceive +10 (200)
Fellowship +5 (100)
Medicae (100)
Navigate Surface (100)
Scrutiny (100)
Security (100)
Survival (100)
Tech Use (100)
starting rolls: 1d5 4 1d10 2 1d100 28

sullat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 15, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

made another one. go ahead, call the cops. i don't give a gently caress.

Although they would be loathe to admit it there is a subtle prejudice (that manifests as lowered chances for advancement and a lack of respect) in the Adeptus Mechanicus against those members from worlds or backgrounds that are less developed than the mighty Forge Worlds or vital Research Stations. While the plasma-obsessed enginseers who hail from the Navy, Rogue Trader fleets or merchant shipping are considered eccentric, they are still valuable for their expertise. Priests from the teeming Hives or important Imperial shrines are regarded as suspect due to their close association with the profane masses and the Adeptus Ministorum. Those relegated to Agri worlds or the far Frontier are pitied - they will work hard for little reward. To have been born, raised, trained and inducted into the Cult on a world deliberately kept underdeveloped for the purposes of human rest and recreation is almost unthinkable to the orthodox. Yet Kewdale II is such a world, home to a small monastery, a city devoted to serving the the wealthy and influential imperial citizens who are deemed suitable to visit it's splendor, and a small outpost of the Priests of Mars dedicated to studying the abnormally pleasant climate and conditions. And Adept Chatto is a tech-priest from that world, young and keen to make her mark. Her first success was on her home planet - the discovery and early analysis of a terraforming facility deep in the forests of a hunting preserve belonging to the planetary governor. It earned her commendation, promotion, and exile - the governor, unhappy about his pristine wilderness suddenly crawling with servitors and curious cogboys, made it clear to the Magos in charge of the outpost she was no longer welcome.

And so she comes to Aes III, full of youthful vigor, her new implants still raw against her nerves and a head full of ideas of making a discovery that will change everything. Her approach is unusual for a tech priest, she is personable and well in tune with human desires and needs due to her upbringing and this makes her well suited to gather information that would be overlooked by more rigid thinkers. Should she survive she may be a valuable asset to an Archaeotech Hunting team.

Her personal relic is a pair of goggles, similar in form to preysense or lowlight goggles, but without a clear function. They are not, as far as she can tell, broken. Merely...nonfunctional. Or rather, she has not found the function to which they are suited. The lenses are an orange glass or plastic and highly scratch resistant, the internal circuitry is exquisite and so far undecipherable due to it's age or advanced nature. The strap appears to be a common synthetic leather, but resizes to fit the wearer automatically.

quote:

CHARACTER NAME: Adept Chatto
HOME WORLD: Garden
BACKGROUND: Adeptus Mechanics
ROLE: Sage
ELITE ADVANCES:
DIVINATION: Innocence is an Illusion
BUILD: Zephyr (1.50m/50kg)
COMPLEXION: Bronzed
HAIR: Black
EYES: Green
QUIRKS: No Body Hair
SUPERSTITIONS: Answers Come From Within: While your home planet is wondrous indeed, its nature is only a distraction. Only though introspection and contemplation can the soul find its true place in the Omnissiahs’s Plan.
MEMENTOS: Small Animal Paw (Preserved), Lump of Mummified Flesh (Yours)

Characteristics:
  • WS 25 (25)
  • BS 25 (25)
  • S 30 (25+5)
  • T 30 (20+10)
  • A 30 (30)
  • Int 40 (25+15)
  • Per 35 (25+10)
  • WP 35 (25+10)
  • Fel 40 (30+10)
  • Inf 25 (25)

Wounds: 8
Fate Threshold: 3
Aptitudes:
  • Social (Home)
  • Tech (Background)
  • Intelligence
  • Knowledge
  • Perception
  • Tech Fellowship
  • Willpower

Skills:
  • Awareness
  • Charm
  • Common Lore (Ad Mech)
  • Commerce
  • Deceive
  • Forbidden Lore (Archaeotech)
  • Inquiry
  • Interrogation
  • Linguistics (Techna-Lingua)
  • Logic
  • Medicae
  • Scrutiny
  • Security
  • Tech Use
  • Trade (Archeologist)

Talents & Traits:
  • Clues from the Crowds
  • Infused Knowledge
  • Keen Intuition
  • Mechanicus Implants
  • Mechadendrite Use (Utility)
  • Weapon Training (SP)

Special Abilities:
Serenity of the Green: A garden world character halves the duration (rounded up) of any result from Table 8–11: Shock or Table 8–13: Mental Traumas and can remove Insanity points for 50xp per point rather than the normal 100xp.

Replace the Weak Flesh: An Adeptus Mechanicus character counts the Availability of all cybernetics as two levels more available (Rare items count as Average, Very Rare items count as Scarce, etc.).

Quest for Knowledge: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points a Sage character may spend a Fate point to automatically succeed at a Logic or any Lore skill test with a number of degrees of success equal to his Intelligence bonus.

Equipment Carrying Capacity / kg:
  • Hand Cannon
  • Imperial Robes
  • Sacred Unguents x2

Implants
  • Optical Mechadendrite
  • Utility Mechadendrite (Starting Acquisition)
  • Medicae Mechadendrite (Starting Acquisition)

XP/Spent: 1500/1500
  • Charm 100
  • Commerce 100
  • Deceive 100
  • Forbidden Lore 100
  • Inquiry 100
  • Interrogation 100
  • Linguistics 100
  • Medicae 200
  • Scrutiny 100
  • Trade 100
  • Infused Knowledge 400

Divination: 1d100 85
Background: 9#1d100 99 14 66 75 77 65 7 41 45
Wounds: 1d5+7 8
fate Threshold 4+: 1d10 8

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 12, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I know of one more potential applicant still waiting, but I'm gonna plan on making picks and starting the game on Wednesday. So make sure you're happy with your sheets by then!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Maarku

You want my story? Not much to tell, really. I was born on a shithole planet, lived on a shithole planet and thought I'd die on a shithole planet. That is, until they discovered the buried ruins there. Once word got out, cogheads swarmed the planet like veller flies on poo poo. They tore the whole place up trying to find Emperor-knows-what, and I got conscripted into providing muscle for them. See, the ruins were full of traps, fun little fuckers that would turn a man inside out. Anyway, the servitors would just wander off into these traps all the time, which the cogheads hated, because it meant they had to rely on humans. Like me.

So they stuck some metal on my body and shoved me down into the ruins. Between the traps and the shadowspiders, it's a miracle I made it out alive. In the end, there weren't that many of us that did. I guess the cogheads were impressed, because they decided to take us with them once they'd stripped our home of everything worth taking. Not that I'm complaining. Sure, the cogheads treat you like you don't think no good, but the pay's good and the food's, well, the food's plentiful. They also let me keep this little thing from my home, said they couldn't figure out heads nor tails of what it's for. I mostly use it as a drink coaster, on account of it keeping my recaf warm.

poo poo, I guess there is a bit to tell, after all.

-

Maarku's archaeotech item is a disc of polished white metal, approximately 10cm/3" across and 3cm/1" thick. The only features on its surface is a strange asymmetrical design embossed into the metal, which covers all but one side of the object. It's quite heavy for its size and resistant to damage, although it does bear some minor signs of wear. It's quite warm to touch, although not unbearably so.

pre:
Name: Maarku
Home World: Frontier World
Background: Adeptus Mechanicus
Role: Warrior
Divination: To war is human.

Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Defence, Offence, Strength, Tech, Toughness, Weapon Skill

Characteristics:
WS   40  (25 + 10 + 5 (Advances))
BS   30  (30 + 0)
S    40  (25 + 10 + 5 (Advances))
T    40  (25 + 10 + 5 (Advances))
Ag   30  (25 + 5)
Int  35  (20 + 15)
Per  35  (30 + 5)
WP   30  (25 + 5)
Fel  25  (25 + 0)
Ifl  25  (25 + 0)

Wounds: 11

Skills:
Athletics
Awareness
Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus)
Dodge
Logic
Security
Tech-Use
Trade (Armourer)

Talents:
Armour-Monger
Crushing Blow
Iron Jaw
Mechadendrite Use (Utility)
Weapon Training (Solid Projectile)

Traits:
Mechanicus Implants
Rely on None but Yourself - +20 to Tech-Use tests when applying personal weapon modifications; +10 when repairing damaged items.
Replace the Weak Flesh - The Availability of all cybernetics count as two levels more available.
Expert at Violence - After making a successful attack test, but before determining hits, may spend a Fate point to substitute WS or BS bonus for the degrees of success scored on the attack test.

Equipment:
Autogun
Optical mechadendrite
Imperial robes
2 vials of sacred unguents
Imperial Guard Flak Armour  Acquisition
Mechadendrite (Manipulator)  Acquisition

Experience: 500 / 1,500

Advances:
Weapon Skill +5   100
Strength +5       100
Toughness +5      100
Athletics         100
Trade (Armourer)  200
Armour-Monger     450
Crushing Blow     400
Wounds: 1d5+7 11
Fate: 3+1d10t7 3
Divination: 1d100 90[/sub]

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 14, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I know of one more potential applicant still waiting, but I'm gonna plan on making picks and starting the game on Wednesday. So make sure you're happy with your sheets by then!

I'm favoring adept Chatto if that helps you at all.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Finished my character. Was going to get more obscura for an acquisition, but it turns out that poo poo is rare? I guess in the grim darkness of the future, space-weed is harder to get than space-meth. Truly a dystopian future.

sullat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 13, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's just like the real world in that regard.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

thought we were doing point buy?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Yep. Fixed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Going to try and hammer out a social face / former spy type character this morning between work stuff.

Edit: Scratch that, my character concept and aptitudes would almost completely overlap with Sullat's guy. Going to have to think on this.

Edit 2: New concept got, putting it all to a word document now.

Edit 3: Of course that means today is THE DAY that everyone needs me help RIGHT NOW and everything is the worst.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 16, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

When Daniel McFarr was a child, he was set to potentially inherit his world, quite literally. He was born to nobility of a feudal planet, a dynastic heir to a planet known for civil strife. It was here that Daniel thrived: He had no mind for military tactics, but his skill with the blade was sharp and he had the gift of the silver tongue. He would make for a bad tactician, but a skilled diplomat which would be just as valuable in negotiating with the clans.

At least until his powers began to manifest.

It started as voices on the wind at first, but soon Daniel was able to focus in on them, to hear the thoughts of the people around him. He was quickly branded a witch, stripped of his birthright, and held in a dungeon to await handoff to the Black Ships or Execution, whichever came first. Thankfully, Daniel’s father was loathe putting his son straight on the execution block and got him instead bound on the black ship. His soul was judged to be clean and he was initiated into the Astra Telepathica to begin training.

While Daniel’s stubbornness proved to be a hindrance to his Astra Telepathic education, it proved useful in his channeling of the warp. His substandard academic performance and his lack of tactical knowledge removed him from consideration for deployment in the Astra Militarium, and his power wasn’t potent enough to warrant the soul binding process to join the Astropaths, so his mentors went a different direction with him. He was to be sent to Aes III, the tech priests had requested use of psykers, he could hold himself well in battle and negotiation, and there was little chance of him learning too many of the machine cult’s secrets and “accidentally” falling into a Servitor production line.

His early time on planet had proven successful too. While it’s not a major archaeological discovery, he was able to happen upon a minor discovery; A small music box with a peculiar power source. Rather than the classical mechanical drive, it was fully electric with some manner of self-charging inertia battery. The battery was removed and examined by the explorators only to find that it’s energy capacity per gram was far below that of traditional charge packs and recharge rate was below that of solar panels even on poorly lit worlds. Its use was simply it’s novelty as a trinket and nothing more. Daniel was able to talk the exploratory into keeping it as a memento, something about the tune reminded him of home.

pre:
Name: Ser Daniel McFarr
Home World: Feudal World
Background: Adeptus Astra Telepathica
Role: Heirophant
Divination: 71 A Suspicious Mind is a Healthy Mind

Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Psyker, Fellowship, Offence, Social, Toughness, Willpower

Characteristics:
WS   40  (30 + 10)
BS   25  (25 + 0)
S    30  (25 + 5)
T    30  (25 + 5)
Ag   30  (25 + 5)
Int  20  (20 + 0)
Per  37  (30 + 5 +2 [Divination])
WP   45  (25 + 15 +5 [Advance])
Fel  45  (25 + 15 +5 [Advance])
Ifl  25  (25 + 0)

Wounds: 12 = 9+3

Skills:
Awareness
Charm
Common Lore (Adeptus Astra Telepathica)
Interrogation
Forbidden Lore (The warp)
Psyniscience

Talents:
Double Team
Weapon Training (Las, Low tech)

Traits:
Divination: Increase character’s Perception by 2, re-roll awareness to avoid surprise
Sanctioned
Psy Rating 2
At Home in Armour: Ignore maximum agility value of armor

The Constant Threat: Adjust psychic phenomena by willpower bonus

Sway The Masses: Spend fate point to auto succeed charm, command, or intimidate
Success equal to willpower bonus

Psychic Powers:
Hallucination
Telepathic Link

Equipment:
Laspistol
Staff
Light Flak Cloak
*Feudal World Plate
*Psy Focus

Advances: 1500 / 1,500
Psyker [Elite Advance] (300)
Parry (200)
Favoured By The Warp (400)
Telepathic Link (100)
Hallucination (200)
Charm (100)
Willpower Advance 1 (100)
Fellowship Advance 1 (100)
http://orokos.com/roll/585332
For the character concept, think of Hjallmar from the Witcher 3 if he happened to get magical space wizard powers.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 18, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Stats can't be taken above 40 with build points in standard point buy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

thatbastardken posted:

Correct. You can still surpass 40 with XP, though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This is aimed at nobody/everybody, but the descriptions of your Archeotech are part of the consideration of who gets picked, albeit a minor one. Between two equally good submissions the one with the better described item will win. All the submissions so far are great, so every little bit helps!

Final picks will be done at around 8pm EST tomorrow with the game thread up shortly after that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i feel like I've missed out by not building like, an administratum assassin who specializes in the shock whip

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 17, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You got time

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
"It belongs in a private collection!"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Who What Now posted:

You got time

no i gotta play darkest dungeon for the next...12 hours, no time for love dr jones.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

thatbastardken posted:

Adjusted appropriately.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Todd "Boomer" Bostick

The arid planet of Aramexas provides two things of note to the Imperium: vast quantities of promethium from below its soil and oceans, and skilled technicians well versed in building things as well as blowing them up. With the local techpriests attending the refineries and other heavy machinery, its up to the locals to maintain the planetwide network of fiddly technological devices too complex for servitors but beneath the notice of the priesthood of mars.

Boomer is a fireman, in every sense of the word. To put out raging promethium field blazes, its often necessary to set smaller fires and even detonations to deprive the inferno of oxygen. These skills were put to good use in a brutal civil war pitting the local labor unions against an especially incompetent governor. After the rebel victory, the new government organized in time to pay the regularly scheduled tithe (which to their surprise included several of the victorious militia units), and Bostick took up his new job as one of the head site inspectors (after someone noted that exploding rigs make everyone's lives worse, whether its the destruction of one's finances or one's limbs) and quickly developed an interest in the complex mechanical systems the mechanicus maintained in the more developed production centers across the planet.

Such curiosity is a danger in the Imperium, and came to the attention of certain Rogue Trader elements looking for off the books tech specialists not indebted to the Priesthood of Mars. A helpful warning that signing on would avoid an unhealthy investigation into possible heretek tendencies was enough to convince Boomer, and now, several subsectors away, he's about to plumb a vast underground hellhole in search of goodies, oh joy.

Boomers Item: A cylinder the size of a human forearm, it is covered with a wide variety of runes and is cool to the touch. Boomer has contemplated using it as a club on occasion but a residual respect for the machine spirits inherent in all technology (and the fact he's worried it might explode or something), restrains him from doing so.

pre:
Homeworld: Forgeworld
Background: Imperial Guard
Role: Sage

WS:  30=25+5
BS:  40=25+15
STR: 25=28+3-3div
TOU: 30
AGI: 35=25+10
INT: 50=30+10+10exp
PER: 30=25+5
WIL: 30=25+2+3div
FEL: 25=20+5
INF: 30=25+5

Diviniation=45
Wounds=13
Fate=3

Wounds: 13
Aptitudes: Agility, Fieldcraft, Intelligence, Knowledge, Perception, Tech, Willpower

Skills:
Athletics
Awareness
Command
Common Lore (Imperial Guard)
Dodge
Forbidden Lore: Archeotech
Operate (Surface)
Medicae
Navigate (Surface)
Security
Techuse
Trade: Chymist

Talents:
Clues from the Crowds
Technical Knock
Weapon Training (Flamer, Las, Lowtech)

Traits & Bonuses:
Hammer of the Emperor: When attacking a target that an ally attacked since the end of the 
Guardsman’s last turn, the Guardsman can re-roll any results of 1 or 2 on damage rolls.

Quest for Knowledge: a Sage character may spend a Fate point to automatically succeed at a
Logic/Lore skill test with a number of degrees of success equal to his Intelligence bonus

Gear:
Lasgun, combat vest, Imperial Guard flak armour, grapnel and line, 12 lho sticks, magnoculars
Lascutter*, Flamer*, Rebreather*
*Influence Acquisition

Exp: 1450/1500

dodge 200
int+5 100
int+10 250
techuse 100
awareness 100
wt flamer 300
trade chymist 100
FL Archeotech 100
Medicae 100
Security 100

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 18, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I lied, picks and thread will be in the morning

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
*Insert sassy backtalk here.*

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm taking care of a sick wife so still no game thread yet, but the picks are:

thatbastardken as Chatto
DeathSandwich as Ser Daniel McFarr
Ronwayne as Todd "Boomer" Boostick
sullat as Footless Max

If you want to know when the thread will be live it'll be after my wife stops throwing up everything that goes into her stomach, which will hopefully be soon. Personally I think she's being a bit of a baby about it with the whole "Waaaaah, I cant stop projectile vomiting waaaah" but it makes it hard to concentrate. Women, amirite?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
She just wants to channel her inner scrunt. Keep her away from all the good drinkin' gasoline.

-------------------------------------

From the journal of Daniel McFarr
Consider this my monthly reminder that if I ever see Primaris Holden again that I'm going to bust his nose. "Go to Aes III" he said, "I'll be a learning experience for you, make you a better servant of the Emperor" he said. This whole bloody planet smells of piss and the laborers are too scared of the coggers to even get in any good bar brawls. Everyone's so fuckin' sad all the time I just can't stand it. Everyone would enjoy themselves a lot more if they got to cut loose now and again. If it weren't for the fact that there's been plenty of good fighting to be had on these expeditions I would be looking for the next opportunity to get back on a Black Ship.

Word from the cogs is that I'm being re-assigned. Probably for the better too. If I had to deal with Explorator Voractor anymore I might of had to kill him, and the feeling is mutual. He blames me for that row we got in at those acidic tempering vats. He claims I was drunk, but that's not true at all, I was hungover. Big difference. He may like to get mad and all, but he was the one that started shouting about tech heresies after I got a surface read on the foreman's thoughts. He also wasn't the one what lost his blade in that caustic sludge. I really liked that blade too.

In any case, I had a chance to meet and greet here, figure it best to put my thoughts about them down. All in all I'm kind of mixed, I certainly like em better than old Voractor and his cronies, but there's not much of a blade arm between the lot of em. Would of liked to have another fighter at my side down in the tunnels, but no matter I guess.

Adept Chatto; is our new cogger representative. It's obvious she's a recent transplant, though I haven't asked from where. It's apparent in her appearance; she doesn't have the decades of internalized despair and low-grade chemical burns wearing away at her skin like all the long time natives have. Shame too, I'd consider her pretty if it wasn't for the robotic grafts and the additional mechanical spider arms. Unlike my former Explorator compatriot, she seems downright chatty by Tech-Priest standards.

Then we got a guy by the name of Footless max, ostensibly our native. The kid seems twitchy, a touch paranoid but with a survivor's instinct. I seen people like him back home; you could probably drop him on a tundra island and come to get him a month later, not only would he have survived he'd be ready and rearing to fight all comers too.

Finally, we've got Boomer, and I've got to give him credit. We've got a lot of warriors where I'm from and I've seen plenty of toughened and battle hardened men turn tail and run when it comes to fire. It takes real mettle to run headlong at a fire, it takes downright suicidal conviction to run headlong at a fire to start other, smaller fires to bleed the main blaze of strength. I hope he's good at handling that flamer when we get in the poo poo. I would rather hope I not get lit up in the middle of a fight.

I've got a spot of time here before we're due to be briefed. I don't have time to get snockered and most of the booze they got is right poo poo anyway. I think I'll just eat some of these rations and take a nap until it's time to be briefed.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 18, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The Plague father bestows his gifts upon you, rejoice!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Adept Chatto exploration log, entry 1. posted:

To assist in my transitional period I am logging my thoughts for latter private analysis

This place is a little...overwhelming. I thought i would have adapted to the intensity of the noosphere and the more physical manifestations of the Ominissiahs glory faster than I have, but I still have trouble getting an appropriate amount of sleep due to the noise. Not any particular noise, it's just never quiet. Even the EM spectrum is operating at full capacity transmitting data. Kewdale may have had primitive network infrastructure but I never had to wait for a routine information query for a full standard day! To add to my confusion it seems I have been assigned to supervise a small team of non-Mechanicus personnel on exploratory missions into what locals refer to as the Underforge. I had thought I would be given some less glamorous but probably safer task to begin with - cataloguing or archiving or even technomat work - but the Magos I queried just laughed my concerns off and said I would have a 'very experienced team' and the whole thing would 'basically run itself'.

Having met my team I am beginning to harbour some doubts.

Daniel McFarr is a sanctioned psyker from some place where the height of technology is low-carbon steel and the height of manners is a drunken leer. I don't understand why he's allowed out unsupervised without so much as a volitor implant or even a bomb collar on. Useful, if dangerous. I don't know enough about the ways of psykers to fully make use of his talent, but I suppose I must learn.

Todd Boostick strikes me as a strange fit for what amounts to an archaeological team, considering his proclivity for pyrotechnics. MAy need to be reminded that our job is to secure artifacts for study, not incinerate them. Otherwise seems well educated, for a soldier.

Our guide Max (why footless? he has both feet! i can see them!) is clearly a very skilled survivor. Is he trustworthy? Can he be relied on to work hard and not slack off? I don't know, someone sealed all the files about his previous expeditions and won't give me the key!

Ugh. All this noise is giving me a headache. Computer, seal this document.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Spouse is napping so the game thread will be up shortly. Here are your archeotechs:

Adept Chatto: Prescient Lenses - These lenses hold within them rare nano-cogitators that constantly scan the environment around the wearer and process billions of probability calculations every second. If anyone would see all of the potential futures calculated by the goggles at once they would either see incomprehensible gibberish or possibly even go insane, but thankfully they only display one set of probabilities at any one time. Currently they show readings taken from analyzing human facial movements down to the smallest detail and relay that information to the user, allowing them to better understand a predict an observed subjects intentions (+2 to Fellowship tests interacting with a human). Most other adepts have given up trying to change what probabilities are displayed, but an enterprising tech-priest may one day unlock more of the goggles' potential.

Ser Daniel McFarr: Eidetic Symphony - It has long been understood that things such as images, sounds, smells, tastes, and tactile sensations play important roles in the development of short- and long-term memories as well in recalling those same memories. Thus it is conjectured that this music box was created to aid in this task. This device uses not only sounds within the range of human hearing, but infrasonic tones as well to enhance a brain's ability to recall knowledge (+2 to Lore checks). It may be possible to further increase the tonal range of the machine, but no known process currently exists to do so.

Todd "Boomer" Bostick: Super-Cryo Stasis Cylinder - Somewhat "common" as far as archeotech goes, meaning there are perhaps a thousand or so known to exist in all the Imperium, a Super-Cryo Stasis Cylinder was thought to have been used to transport or store sensitive materials long term before the development of more conventional temporal stasis fields. With the press of the activation stud the interior of the cylinder, which can hold roughly 12 fluid ounces, is brought to roughly 0.5° Kelvin in the span of 16 attoseconds, all but stopping all movement of matter within it. Another rune reverses the process, returning the contents to their former states. Several other runes allow control the freezing process and can all the contents to be released at any temperature from roughly 0.5° - 295° K.

It also keeps cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot, even without activating the mechanism.

Footless Max: Survivor's Dynamo - This box is believed to have been a vital component to the standard kit of ancient Terrans when they first began to colonize distant stars. This box contains a near-perpetual motion machine, similar to the one developed for use in the Skitarii's Sydonian Dragoons, that powers the basic functions of the device (that being a basic electromagnetic compass and vox recording, as well as ambient lighting). However, when the handle is turned 90° clockwise and then "pumped" inwards and outwards the dynamo will transform that mechanical energy into thermal energy and light waves at a rate of 10,000:1. Three pumps of the handle will produce the equivalent light and heat of a small campfire, while ten will produce the equivalent of a much larger bonfire. Adepts caution that feeding too much kinetic energy into the device will cause it to go catastrophically critical, although some believe that the user's arms will be burnt away long before one could overload it.

I encourage you guys to get creative with these items. At worst I'll say you fail*, at best I'll allow you to do something super rad once in awhile. The rule of cool will definitely be in effect when it comes to Archeotech devices!

*actually the worst that can happen is that you kill yourself and the entire party in a horrific fashion

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 19, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Thread is live!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I got an event to go to tonight, hopefully I'll find time to post tomorrow morning.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Footless Max

Well, I talked to a guy who knows a guy who's putting together a team. Been asking around about the others. Here's what I've heard:

Adept Chatto: The team's cog-boy. Or, cog-girl? Does it even matter with the techies? Hope we're looking for something good.
Daniel McFarr: Apparently he's a witch? That can't be right, aren't we supposed to burn them? Or turn them into servitors? Well, not my problem.
Boomer: A ex-Guardsman. Someone who couldn't dodge the press gangs, I guess. Poor bastard. They say he likes to burn things. Maybe he's here because of the witch?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So here's how the Forges are generally set up in my mind.

A "level" is defined as where the macrolifters in the central pillar area stop. Each level is anywhere from 4 to 15 meters tall, and around the size of New York City, but with less floorspace the further up you go. Each level is connected to it's neighbors by stairs, elevators, ladders, and millions of miles of air ducts and piping.

Levels 0 and below are the Deep Forge and haven't been touched in millennia. It's anyone's guess what's down there, but it's not gonna be good whatever it is.

Level 1 through 100 - Here there be mutants and the worst of human society, true pyschopaths and cannibals. This is where a lot of digging is done by the tech-priests themselves is done, usually with a small army or with small teams that don't draw a lot of attention (like you guys).

Level 101 through 300 - This is where the poor and downtrodden live side-by-side with gangers and the occasional mutant who can pass as merely disfigured rather than a true freak. A lot of people to freelance scavenging on these levels, but the chances of finding anything more than broken scrap that's valuable only for melting down is slim to none. There are a few working forges here, but these places make sweatshops look like a cushy office jobs. When Imperial Navy or Astra Militarum need conscripts this is generally where they pull from.

Level 301 through 1200 - The majority of people live and work here. Actual factory areas can run through dozens of levels. Life is difficult and often dangerous on the manufacturing floor but if you keep to yourself you can probably expect to live a life with a belly full of warm food, rotgut booze, running water, and an actual working door with a lock on it. Pretty snazzy compared to life on the lower levels. Higher levels are newer and generally better to live and work in, such jobs and homes are hotly contested when they crop up.

Level 1201 and above - The Priesthood of Mars live here, along with the space elevators to the docks in the upper atmosphere. Still a lot of manufacturing areas, but think less auto-plant and more Q's labs crossed with a Roman-Catholic cathedral. If you aren't a Tech-Priest or Skitarii then you probably won't even be able to ride a lift up pass the 1300's, and even then you might be asked what you're doing wandering around and politely asked at the end of a rad-gun to leave if you don't have a good enough answer.

Those delineations aren't hard and fast, but general ideas of what a given level is like.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Update Saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Update later today or Tuesday morning. Depends on how hung over I'm feeling later.

• Locked thread