Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Intruder posted:

The Astros window is going to slam shut pretty fast if they don't invest in pitching given that Keuchel is probably walking after this year and both Verlander and Cole after next. Of course, Darvish is 32 so that doesn't exactly address long term plans

The Astros managed to turn Charlie Morton into Superman, so I wouldnt worry if I were an Astros fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Was Selig still commish when the Cubs were sold?

The Rickettses' purchase closed in October 2009. Manfred's tenure as commissioner began in January 2015.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Timby posted:

The Rickettses' purchase closed in October 2009. Manfred's tenure as commissioner began in January 2015.

Wow has it really been that long

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Astros managed to turn Charlie Morton into Superman, so I wouldnt worry if I were an Astros fan.

They got Morton to be Superman on short outings by telling him to stop worrying and just throw 97 mph gas, also to throw curveballs at a higher rate than he ever has before

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

It must be awkward now that analytics are so prevalent that even pro players hear about them and know about their own stats.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Ginette Reno posted:

It must be awkward now that analytics are so prevalent that even pro players hear about them and know about their own stats.

Tommy Pham regularly reads and responds to Fangraphs in his constant attempts to finally be taken seriously by baseball as a whole.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Tommy Pham regularly reads and responds to Fangraphs in his constant attempts to finally be taken seriously by baseball as a whole.

You can never be taken seriously as a baseball player if you were picked off at first by Jon Lester.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Tommy Pham is good and one of the cool Cardinals imo but Kevlar has a legitimate point there

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

lol have fun in triples alley

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

RF in AT&T is basically CF #2.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Jeff Passan posted:

What’s clear is the free agent impasse represents a reckoning long in the making – one that marries shifting power in labor relations, the emergence of analytics and cookie-cutter front offices, and the willingness of teams to treat competitiveness as an option, not a priority. Combined, they pose the greatest threat to a quarter century of labor peace and have people at the highest level of the sport asking whether a game-changing overhaul in how baseball operates isn’t just necessary but inevitable.

“I’m just not sure that the structure that’s been in place for all of these years makes sense anymore,” one union official said. “Now, whether anybody is prepared to blow that up is a completely different question.”

“Of course it doesn’t make sense,” a league official concurred. “We pay you the minimum for three years and arbitration for three or four years, and then you get paid more in free agency for your decline?”

From Jeff Passan's deep dive of the slow off season, which you may as well read since there is no baseball news.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JoeCL posted:

From Jeff Passan's deep dive of the slow off season, which you may as well read since there is no baseball news.

That's a really good read and it exposes just how badly the league clowned Clark last year.

quote:

During the negotiations leading to the 2016 basic agreement that governs baseball, officials at MLB left bargaining stupefied almost on a daily basis. Something had changed at the MLBPA, and the league couldn’t help but beam at its good fortune: The core principle that for decades guided the union no longer seemed a priority.

“It was like they didn’t care about money anymore,” one league official said.

Though something of an oversimplification, there was more than a kernel of truth to it. Meaningful negotiating time was spent on issues the league happily accepted in exchange for stronger financial positions. The players wanted a chef in the clubhouse. The players wanted two seats apiece on spring training buses. The players wanted more off-days. Lifestyle and amenities took precedent more than ever.

Leading the negotiations for the players was Clark, who took over as executive director of the union in 2013 following the death of the Fehr-trained Michael Weiner. Miller was an economist, Fehr and Weiner lawyers. Clark was a player, which is not meant as a slur so much as a window into his motivations and tactics. He vowed to represent the players’ wants and needs. Clark had spent 15 seasons as a switch-hitting, slugging first baseman. Before he was in charge, he was a card-carrying union member.

In past negotiations, he heard players’ voices ignored. He promised to listen. And when a cadre from Latin America bellowed at the possibility of an international draft that would include the Dominican Republic and Venezuela, the MLBPA scuttled it. Rather than a draft, the union offered something MLB desired even more: a Pandora’s box.

Under Weiner, the union had acceded to a bonus-pool with penalties in the domestic draft – a soft cap. This was a hard-capped international system, with an unbreakable ceiling on spending. To MLBPA lifers, it was heresy. The union saw it as a moral imperative to cancel the World Series in 1994 because of ownership’s insistence on a salary cap. Now they were introducing one into the document that governs the game.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

That's a really good read and it exposes just how badly the league clowned Clark last year.

:lol: Tony Clark took the keg of beer over the dental plan.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
What would happen if players didn't have 6-7 years before they could sign a free agent contract? What would happen if teams paid a rookie the minimum and then it went straight to arbitration years? It seems like the problem is players reach free agency too late (bad for players) and teams get stuck paying a premium for what amounts to decline years (bad for owners/teams). The alternative is having players hit free agency earlier, but would that fix any problems or just create more?

You'd have smaller windows with "core"s of young players and an overall larger amount of free agents which would be bad for small market teams that feign an inability to have a competitive payroll. Would that lead to teams hiding young stars longer to get more of their peak years and not let them play until 23+ instead of 21? Would it just push the oldest 37+ year olds out of the sport if teams are signing players through age 36 instead of age 40?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/953378964164218880

Impeach Derek Jeter

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I feel like you could implement the NBA's restricted free agent structure with a shorter team control period. Say a player gets one year of league minimum team control, followed by three years of arb. After that they enter restricted free agency for an additional two years, before becoming an unrestricted free agent after six years barring any extensions and what not. Teams still get six guaranteed years of a player assuming they're willing to match restricted FA offers, while players get far more chances to get paid for their prime years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leave the Dinger Machine alone, it's all we have left

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Sydin posted:

I feel like you could implement the NBA's restricted free agent structure with a shorter team control period. Say a player gets one year of league minimum team control, followed by three years of arb. After that they enter restricted free agency for an additional two years, before becoming an unrestricted free agent after six years barring any extensions and what not. Teams still get six guaranteed years of a player assuming they're willing to match restricted FA offers, while players get far more chances to get paid for their prime years.

Restricted free agency is dumb

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nodoze posted:

Yeah, restricted free agency isn't, which is why the NHL endured so much labor strive: Players were sick of having to wait ten years before they could hit true free agency, because the vast majority of them never saw ten-year careers due to the physical toll.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If that dinger machine gets tossed out it better be bought by a former player and put into a shithole bar somewhere. It goes off if you can eat 6 of our hottest wings in less then 10 minutes! Get your picture on the wall!

Hire me MLB

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Good Dog posted:

RF in AT&T is basically CF #2.

Poque posted:

lol have fun in triples alley

Don't worry fam, Cutch knows

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/953379286085337088

Also man, it still hasn't sunk in yet that Cutch is on my team. That's been a secret dream of mine for years.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nodoze posted:

Yes it is, but I'm not sure what else you could do to balance the need for players to be paid something at least approaching a fair value for their prime years while also giving small market teams some method of retaining good homegrown talent. I know we've had the argument before that there aren't really "small market teams" as all of them are owned by billionaires who could very well afford multi-hundred million dollar payrolls with little difficulty, but I'm trying to be realistic in terms of what the players might actually be able to get owners to come to the table on. As it stands arbitration doesn't really start to net players something close to their true value until the Arb 3 year, and by that point you're on the cusp of free agency anyway.

Maybe you could tweak the arb system so that rather than being a series of ramping up amounts based on the money received in the past by comparable players, the money a player gets in an arb year is fixed to some sort of statistical benchmark? The commonly thrown around $8m/WAR just as an example, although I'm sure there are better measures.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I’m finally able to start looking forward to next season, making plans for which games to go to, and the Dodgers schedule is weird as gently caress. They play 3 series against the Giants in the first 5 weekends of the season. They don’t go back to San Francisco after that until the final weekend.

I’m not anticipating a pennant race with them this year but that’s still idiotic. Bring back that old couple who made all the schedules please.
Are you going to the series in Monterrey? I’ve managed to recruit a few friends that are barely baseball fans to go with me. Flights are cheap as hell if you fly out of Tijuana.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

This is not a derail attempt but I've always been shocked at how little NHL players make. Isn't the minimum about 100k higher than MLB is, but superstars like Crosby/Ovechkin top out at 13-14 million annually?

Note: My only rationale for this mindset is that if I got an MLB contract, I could stand in RF, make 150 errors and hit 0.015 and still come out in one piece. If I played 1 game in the NHL I'd most likely be literally dead or severely brain damaged.

Note 2: If I played in the NFL I would just haul rear end towards my own endzone every snap and collect my paycheck.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

There should be a salary floor in MLB to qualify for revenue sharing. I feel like that helps with the problem.

Also perhaps young players should not be under team control that long. Although maybe that just causes them to hold players in the minors even longer than they need to be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I honestly don't see why they don't just agree to a cap based on revenue with guaranteed spending levels

Maybe the owners aren't even offering that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

I honestly don't see why they don't just agree to a cap based on revenue with guaranteed spending levels

Any artificial restraint on the compensation of labor is inherently bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Any artificial restraint on the compensation of labor is inherently bad.

Not following

It's a cap tied to revenue. They'd make more money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

Not following

It's a cap tied to revenue. They'd make more money.

Because ownership would find ways, as they always do, to plead poverty and conceal revenue from the players.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The NHL has an actual salary cap, not just a luxury tax, obviously, but they also have like, a third of the revenue MLB does.

Before there was a cap even the super big spenders like Detroit and the Rangers had a team payroll in the high 70 million, which wasn't much compared to MLB at the time either.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Are you going to the series in Monterrey? I’ve managed to recruit a few friends that are barely baseball fans to go with me. Flights are cheap as hell if you fly out of Tijuana.

Oh fuuuuuuuck I forgot all about that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oh hey look at that:

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/953418645203546119

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I guess Pittsburgh media is tired of shilling for Nutting's cheap rear end. Unfortunately they're three years too late.

https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/status/953350333534822400

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Get Castro and Yelich off the Marlins and then burn it down.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

same

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Spring Training is gonna be crazy with teams signing free agents after the demands come way way down

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the free agents should just say gently caress it and start barnstorming

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

Spring Training is gonna be crazy with teams signing free agents after the demands come way way down

What's the last time a free agent pitcher signed any reasonably-sized contract when spring training was already underway? I remember Kyle Lohse signing with the Brewers on 3/25/13 for $33/3 but I don't usually pay enough attention to the offseason markets to be able to rattle off other examples.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Unrelated, but since there's no baseball going on, I've been watching Chopped over on Food Network. Tonight's episode has two executive chefs from different ballparks: one for the Reds, and one for the Mets.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'd watch chopped if it was between mr redlegs and mr met

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Pancakes posted:

What's the last time a free agent pitcher signed any reasonably-sized contract when spring training was already underway? I remember Kyle Lohse signing with the Brewers on 3/25/13 for $33/3 but I don't usually pay enough attention to the offseason markets to be able to rattle off other examples.

the last big money one that got signed was by Ubaldo (4/50) but that was on February 19th, 2014. I guess everyone had reported for camp by that point but those usually don't happen. Given that February is in two weeks and teams are gonna be reporting soon, and guys like Darvish, JDM, Cain, Hosmer, and Moose haven't signed yet, we're maybe gonna see a flurry of February or even March deals.

Wonder what's gonna happen if teams start going north and no free agents have signed

• Locked thread