Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EnergizerFellow posted:

As for Netflix specifically, even with a historically optimistic P/E of 20, there's just no way Netflix can grow top-line 10x, even in theory. The crash will be fun and hard.

they definitely can. netflix has tremendous room for growth. it is not unthinkable to imagine a world where virtually all adult households have a netflix subscription

the problem with netflix is not p/e or earnings, it's the monstrous debt load. they've got 4.6 billion in just regular ole debt, and ~15 billion in contracted obligations to rights owners

that's a lot of debt for a firm the size of netflix to manage

especially when you consider they are likely to need another billion dollars in debt next year, and another billion after that, in order to further build their content library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

FTFY. Do not invest in individual equities, everyone at the table knows more than you do.

even if you think you are a genius stock picker, don't hold your employer's stock. that poo poo is just dumb

you already have a huge stake in your employer in that you depend on them for a salary. don't double-down and also hold your savings in their stock. that is the opposite of diversification

when you lose your job you don't want that to be the moment your investment account loses half its value

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48270127/can-a-1-a-2-a-3-ever-evaluate-to-true

lomarf

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Questions like that are a massive red flag since it indicates the company uses JavaScript.

macintoshplusplus
Aug 17, 2017

stay noided

what is this hot garbage

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like if you're forced to use JavaScript because some oval office went loving retard with the company's infrastructure several years back then that's forgivable, but to be intimately familiar with the inner workings of that language? Avoid like the plague imo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i know someone who's doing a salary review in the bay area right now (data science / ML manager). here's what he told me about what they've found:

quote:

it's a broad range for DS, in bay area ive found it generally ranges between 300 and 600

there is a premium associated with ML / "AI" (now a buzzword) which pushes you into the higher end of that range

for someone with Ph.D. in technical field and 5 years industry experience with experience in ML, i would say median is low 400s

fresh ML phds start at least low-300s (and thats increasing rapidly) and we've seen some cases where a fresh phd gets offers as high as 500 (kind of ridiculous)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

jeeeesus

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Way to make me feel poor

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
buncha 80s neural net academics either turning in their grave or making a bunch of money i guess

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Emacs Headroom posted:

i know someone who's doing a salary review in the bay area right now (data science / ML manager). here's what he told me about what they've found:

i have lived my life all wrong

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Emacs Headroom posted:

ugh, just when you thought ml nerds couldn’t be any worse

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

some oval office went loving retard

what is wrong with you

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Foo posted:

what is wrong with you

Seriously

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

will be funny when everyone realises DL isn't all it's cut out to be and those salaries drop through the floor

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

qhat posted:

will be funny when everyone realises DL isn't all it's cut out to be and those salaries drop through the floor

much to my continued dismay and annoyance, DL is here to stay and works really, really well on quite a few problems

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
im unemployed

gonna look for a job in june, hope to find one by august

i think i should use some of the time to learn new skills. assembly language seems promising. what else is cool? hdl? i don’t want to touch web or business database stuff ever in my life if I can help it.

I’ll keep you updated on my unemployment status. getting goodbye happy hour tacos and margaritas with the firmware team in 13 hours.

having a totally unknown future career is the happiest and most exciting I’ve felt in the last two years btw. I hope I can maintain self discipline and keep slacking off under control.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

meatpotato posted:

i think i should use some of the time to learn new skills. assembly language seems promising.

Hi how are things in 1995
Why do you think (x86?) assembly language would be useful for your job hunting?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

for real. if i made even 50k i wouldn't know what to do with it all.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Being able to read assembly so you can find out what fun compiler bug have you ran into today is important. :colbert:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Captain Foo posted:

what is wrong with you

he's english, i think

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao people are actually going to report to him

he is going to have power over people

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xarn posted:

Being able to read assembly so you can find out what fun compiler bug have you ran into today is important. :colbert:

I mean it is for me but my pet home hobby project is a compiler (to native code) so yes there are lots of fun compiler bugs

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Compiler Explorer (https://godbolt.org/) owns

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Since I started maintaining non-trivial OSS project I get to fight with a compiler bug every 2-3 months. Not that reading ASM helps :v:

For real, if you are working in language that compiles to native, you should be able to at least muddle through short pieces of ASM. Not sure I'd think of it as a selling point though. :shrug:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

meatpotato posted:

im unemployed

i think i should use some of the time to learn new skills. assembly language seems promising. what else is cool? hdl? i don’t want to touch web or business database stuff ever in my life if I can help it.

I’ll keep you updated on my unemployment status. getting goodbye happy hour tacos and margaritas with the firmware team in 13 hours.

having a totally unknown future career is the happiest and most exciting I’ve felt in the last two years btw. I hope I can maintain self discipline and keep slacking off under control.

Good luck. Not having a job owns for a while but it begins to sucks eventually. Expect your job hunt to take longer than you think too, although it's refreshing to put your resume out there and gauge exactly what employers actually think of you when all your chips are down.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

meatpotato posted:

That's a plan for fail. Recruiter activity ramps up hard in mid-December to get people interviewing/hired by Jan 1st and steadily builds through March. After March things fall off rapidly for the rest of the year until next December rolls around.

Your search and interviewing process will take longer than planned as well. Unless you're in some super hot specialty, expect the hunt to take 3-6 months.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

EnergizerFellow posted:

That's a plan for fail. Recruiter activity ramps up hard in mid-December to get people interviewing/hired by Jan 1st and steadily builds through March. After March things fall off rapidly for the rest of the year until next December rolls around.

Your search and interviewing process will take longer than planned as well. Unless you're in some super hot specialty, expect the hunt to take 3-6 months.

can confirm. got laid off in october. didn't even get phone screens until december. actually started getting serious interviews in febuary as hiring managers stopped being on vacation all the goddamn time. finally got hired in march.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I started looking for a job in November, started new job in June.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

feedmegin posted:

Hi how are things in 1995
Why do you think (x86?) assembly language would be useful for your job hunting?

man, life in 1995 is great --my savings account has a 5.5% apy, my parents arent divorced, all my grandparents are alive, and i saw the view from the top of the world trade center last fall when my family took a totally-average-for-1995 annual vacation to nyc.

in all honesty I probably won't get *that good* at assembly --intel or people at llvm won't be knocking down my door any time soon. also, assembly language isn't going to be a thing that makes me stand out when i apply to jobs, especially when most new CS grads will gracelessly throw assembly on their resumes because they took a quarter-long intro to programming class that used the LC-3 to do an integer factorization assignment.

asm is a piece of the computing stack i haven't really explored before and it seems interesting. I like doing things involving real hardware and i also like learning about computer security so assembly kind of fits into those themes. it's not really about the job search.

EnergizerFellow posted:

interesting take. I bet the recruiting cycle thing applies more to larger companies with cyclic financial plans than smaller ones without that structure, but what do I know? Regardless, I don't know what companies I will be applying to in six months so I'll remember your advice when nobody replies to my resume.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

meatpotato posted:

man, life in 1995 is great --my savings account has a 5.5% apy, my parents arent divorced, all my grandparents are alive, and i saw the view from the top of the world trade center last fall when my family took a totally-average-for-1995 annual vacation to nyc.

in all honesty I probably won't get *that good* at assembly --intel or people at llvm won't be knocking down my door any time soon. also, assembly language isn't going to be a thing that makes me stand out when i apply to jobs, especially when most new CS grads will gracelessly throw assembly on their resumes because they took a quarter-long intro to programming class that used the LC-3 to do an integer factorization assignment.

asm is a piece of the computing stack i haven't really explored before and it seems interesting. I like doing things involving real hardware and i also like learning about computer security so assembly kind of fits into those themes. it's not really about the job search.

interesting take. I bet the recruiting cycle thing applies more to larger companies with cyclic financial plans than smaller ones without that structure, but what do I know? Regardless, I don't know what companies I will be applying to in six months so I'll remember your advice when nobody replies to my resume.

if you are set on using assembly why don't you try applying to be a reverse engineer at an infosec company? i hear there is good money to be made there and there is a talent shortage\

e: also from personal experience inforsec people are mostly approachable on twitter. you can get your foot the door in that way.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 17, 2018

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you are set on using assembly why don't you try applying to be a reverse engineer at an infosec company? i hear there is good money to be made there and there is a talent shortage\

e: also from personal experience inforsec people are mostly approachable on twitter. you can get your foot the door in that way.

^^^ reverse engineering is definitely on my mind, I'm just not sure if I'll like it as a ~*~career~*~ so I'm dipping my toes in first.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
no one should be allowed to program a computer professionally without a basic understanding of assembly language.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Management posted:

no one should be allowed to program a computer professionally without a basic understanding of assembly language.

ehhh, i don't know if I agree --maybe, but it depends on the definition of basic understanding

I like to think I have a "basic understanding" of assembly, at the level of: there is a stack, there are some registers, here are some opcodes but gently caress if I know which registers are used for what, what the calling convention is, or any opcodes besides mov, add, or jmp. But I'm a bad programmer lol. I'm trying to get a "working understanding" so I can write something beyond a hello world without needing to consult a reference manual for every opcode.

edit: I should start posting in the spare time projects thread instead of this one

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I wish I knew more about reversing; the ceo of a infosec company sort of near me gave me his business card a few years ago and I keep it in a textbook. Originally when I applied to that place their system auto-rejected me because I had dual citizenship at the time.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

meatpotato posted:

ehhh, i don't know if I agree --maybe, but it depends on the definition of basic understanding

I like to think I have a "basic understanding" of assembly, at the level of: there is a stack, there are some registers, here are some opcodes but gently caress if I know which registers are used for what, what the calling convention is, or any opcodes besides mov, add, or jmp. But I'm a bad programmer lol. I'm trying to get a "working understanding" so I can write something beyond a hello world without needing to consult a reference manual for every opcode.

edit: I should start posting in the spare time projects thread instead of this one

I mean just how computers actually work because most people have no idea what their code turns into, and it leads to some truly awful software.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Knowing basic poo poo about computers IMO is beneficial to a career in computers

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
i dont share stuff like this at work but i need to celebrate a little - last week i got an un-requested 15k raise that just pushed me over the line into the land of 6 figgie. which is great, i can throw it all at student loans and have them done in 3 years. and i actually like my job, have great teammates and actual work/life balance - 9-5, inclusive of hour lunch!

the thing that's really blowing my mind is that i was at 55k just 2.5 years ago - and 2 years before that i was depressed and unemployed for over 2 years (my secret when asked about that period: "i was taking care of an elderly family member until such time their condition deteriorated and more professional help was required" - people get so nervous about mortality and the infirm that they usually don't ask further questions). it can be done! but now im expecting some giant health issue to show up out of nowhere because i honestly never believed i had a shot at anything but quiet suffering as a wage slave.

anyways. CoL can vary widely in cities - I'm in Chicago which is supposed to be on the high side but my rent is only $750 in a great neighborhood with the only amenity I'm lacking being in-unit washer/dryer. commute on train is 40 minutes and at this salary. now if i wanted to live in Lincoln Park or something, yeah it would be harder to save, but outside of SF even high CoL cities can be gamed pretty well if you arent a keep up with the joneses type

edit: oh, and huge credit to this thread and the other nuggets posted over the years - i'm pretty sure asking "when was the last time you took PTO" got me hired - the hiring manager had never heard that question before, and she mentioned that she encourages her team to use sick days if hungover and to make sure they use up sick balances by end of year. that was a strong signal as to their culture, and it correlated very well with what i've seen here on the job. thank you for materially helping my improve me life.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 17, 2018

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Congrats on dem figs and on a job you really enjoy. I really need to check out Chicago, it seems like a really cool place and its basically the only big city in america thats still affordable