Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol Afflalo woulda got his rear end kicked if the other guy actually wanted to fight. He wasn't getting out of that headlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/953437016359829504

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Bobby Portis is the pioneer we didn't know we needed.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man it's been a scrappy few days.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

The B_36 posted:

I assume this means they don't often get together as a team to run thru the offense/defense on the practice court, but they're all constantly working out, working on skills, maybe doing some small group work. I can't imagine they literally aren't working on their games thru out the season.

There are different types of "practice". Practice proper is very physically intense, you really don't want to do it more than a couple of times a month if possible: the players play roughly 15 games a month, you can't practice on gameday, and you really want to let them recover on off days. You also have less intense shootarounds, which you can do on game days or preferably off days. For each game there is also an hour or two of video prep and also walkthroughs where the coaches tell the players about how they want to handle the opponents. In between all this, there is also plenty of individual and small group workouts (players grouped by position), where they get instruction on their individual games. But the main point is that you don't really need practice: during the offseason, the coaches came up with an offensive and defensive gameplan, and during training camp they hammer the plan into the players' heads, and you only need to reinforce the plan during the season, you don't really need 5 on 5 or 3 on 3 scrimmages much, particularly later in the season. Lots of fans and some players dismiss training camp, but that is literally the last time a team's players will learn how they are going to play, after that the team isn't going to tinker with the plan much and they certainly aren't going to go over the basics again This is why players, like Shaq "Company Time" O'Neal missing training camp or coming in out of shape is such a huge problem. IT missed training camp so he may be feeling like he doesn't know the playbook, but that isn't because of lack of practice during the season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That meshes with what I've heard from connected Pelican bloggers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I understand ejecting both players on principal there but unless something was missing from that video that really seems like one sided aggression.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lol that punch

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Tom is not for this bullshit

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD2_/status/953448783857283072

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Lmao more evidence that NBA players can't fight for poo poo (unless you're JJ)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thibs is about 60% of the way to the Danny Devito penguin

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

There are different types of "practice". Practice proper is very physically intense, you really don't want to do it more than a couple of times a month if possible: the players play roughly 15 games a month, you can't practice on gameday, and you really want to let them recover on off days. You also have less intense shootarounds, which you can do on game days or preferably off days. For each game there is also an hour or two of video prep and also walkthroughs where the coaches tell the players about how they want to handle the opponents. In between all this, there is also plenty of individual and small group workouts (players grouped by position), where they get instruction on their individual games. But the main point is that you don't really need practice: during the offseason, the coaches came up with an offensive and defensive gameplan, and during training camp they hammer the plan into the players' heads, and you only need to reinforce the plan during the season, you don't really need 5 on 5 or 3 on 3 scrimmages much, particularly later in the season. Lots of fans and some players dismiss training camp, but that is literally the last time a team's players will learn how they are going to play, after that the team isn't going to tinker with the plan much and they certainly aren't going to go over the basics again This is why players, like Shaq "Company Time" O'Neal missing training camp or coming in out of shape is such a huge problem. IT missed training camp so he may be feeling like he doesn't know the playbook, but that isn't because of lack of practice during the season.

I think this season where some teams just didn't properly adjust to the new preseason schedule really showed at how unprepared they were once regular games started. But yeah completely missing training camp is huge and is why I think it's so rare for teams to win a title without their core pieces at least having some sort of training camp.

A kind of funny story from the Lakers last title era is that Kobe basically didn't practice the last five or six years of his career, he never had the health. But the Lakers found they could still have really productive practices when they could have them because Adam Morrison was famously able to simulate Kobe's role and style on the court better than anyone ever could. And it was an actual problem the team had once Morrison was off the team because practice never simulated games at all with anyone else and they never felt sharp.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

"why did we blow this 4th quarter lead this is outrageous, time to some 2 a days"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

clippers walking back to their locker room past a suit of armor that suddenly moves, it's ryan anderson, and he's here to kick some righteous butt

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

these practice anecdotes are really informative, thanks for sharing them

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

doc rivers screaming at the clippers for being a bunch of chumps and jabronis "especially you, my lovely kid" and when austin starts tearing up he reveals he's chris paul in a mission impossible mask and the clippers trainer who bullied blake into punching him pops out of a panel in the back of a utility closet

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

dokmo posted:

wait. so you're saying when you're talking about practice, you're not talking about an actual game, but you're talking about practising.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I did 2-a-days on my 2K MyPlayer until I said "gently caress it this is boring" and paid for stats

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dokmo posted:

how does that affect guys who get traded, especially to a contender in the middle of the season?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

how does that affect guys who get traded, especially to a contender in the middle of the season?

Walk throughs with assistants when not doing other things, I imagine.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

R.D. Mangles posted:

They muddle through until the playoffs, when there is time to have intensive prep.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

My favorite part about all the fighting is CJ McCollum still has the largest fine this season for taking a few steps off the bench and returning during a preseason game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lol at CP3 and Harden selling out a teammate after they said they were retaliating for things said to CP3.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
They need to broadcast this upcoming players meeting with the referees

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Player consistency correlates very strongly with playoff success. It's rare to have a team that gets starter in a trade midway through the season immediately turn that into success in the playoffs.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yak and Skills adorbs commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaCltcXBc3g

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

The Glumslinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhy-w4o0P70

Man, that movie had so many great basketball moments

I was watching that movie recent thinking "this is based on Loose Balls"

so I searched it up and yeah Ferrell loved Loose Balls and used it as a reference

it's possible that it detracts somewhat from consistency the movie because there's a lot of "this absurd story actually happened" right next to normal absurdist humor.

it's kinda in a weird place, like it might have been funnier if it'd been done as more of a straight film

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

EvanTH posted:

I was watching that movie recent thinking "this is based on Loose Balls"

so I searched it up and yeah Ferrell loved Loose Balls and used it as a reference

it's possible that it detracts somewhat from consistency the movie because there's a lot of "this absurd story actually happened" right next to normal absurdist humor.

it's kinda in a weird place, like it might have been funnier if it'd been done as more of a straight film

I think it might have been a classic if they played it more seriously, but I still loving love it. I'm now considering inflicting it on my coworkers at my next movie night.

Though in retrospect, the entire cuck plotline was just ahead of its time

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

I understand ejecting both players on principal there but unless something was missing from that video that really seems like one sided aggression.

Captain Jellico was ejected because it was his second T. Earlier in the game, Afflalo and Bjelica had gotten into it and received a double T. Then with the altercation where Affalol swings and misses, and Bjelica gets him in a headlock, they both received another double T, hence the ejection.

I'm not sure it's really possible to technically argue that Bjelica shouldn't have received a T for getting a dude in a headlock, even if he was defending himself?

E: With that said, Affalo probably needs to get more than just a technical foul, right?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Jim Petersen on the wolves' feed said "belly's no punk" and boy oh boy did belly deliver. Dude was talking poo poo like two minutes before Belly put him in a headlock like he was sneezing.

https://twitter.com/fsnorth/status/953460911418744832

Raised on the streets.

Professional basketball player.

No punk.

MAN, idgaf that we lost, I just love knowing that nobody can gently caress with Nemanja.

This is so good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2zudcnYkY

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
My favorite crazy eastern euro is Mirza "eh, if I'm going to die as my city is bombed I'll go out playing ball" Teletovic.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spite posted:

My favorite crazy eastern euro is Mirza "eh, if I'm going to die as my city is bombed I'll go out playing ball" Teletovic.

dude is not here for lebron's poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bhRrOAI-0

e: lmao lebron being restrained by michael beasley wearing a "b-easy" jersey

ee: jesus christ, it's a confluence of beasley, brooklyn-era kirilenko, and the fuckin' birdman

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 17, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bjelica Did Nothing Wrong

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
lol afflalo got bitched out so much worse than if he had just gotten dropped in return for that punch. he got treated like he was his little brother dude didn't even have to put any effort into it. may as well have just extended his arm and put his hand on his head

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Jota posted:

lol afflalo got bitched out so much worse than if he had just gotten dropped in return for that punch. he got treated like he was his little brother dude didn't even have to put any effort into it. may as well have just extended his arm and put his hand on his head

He didn't even get mad, he just put him on time out. That's the worst thing that could have happened to Afflalo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/AntDavis23/status/953482807447359488

Pelicans losing out.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Player consistency correlates very strongly with playoff success. It's rare to have a team that gets starter in a trade midway through the season immediately turn that into success in the playoffs.

As always, that terrible Detroit Pistons team remains a jerk outlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Those 3 are not True Alphas

• Locked thread