Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's kind of cool how unapologetic Paul Pierce is about being a big ol baby regarding the potential acknowledgement of IT on His Special Day

quote:

Plans to show a brief video tribute to Isaiah Thomas, who was traded to Cleveland last August, have been scrapped after Pierce told Celtics head of basketball operations Danny Ainge he preferred to have that day to himself.

"Danny and I talked about it for 40 minutes," Pierce explained to ESPN early Tuesday afternoon. "He told me, 'This is what we have planned,' and at the end of the conversation, he said, 'If you don't want us to do Isaiah, we won't.' So I told him, 'I really don't.' So that was it.

"That's how we left it."

... "(Thomas) had a shot to be honored," Pierce said. "You came to Boston. Whether you are playing or not, you should have had your tribute then. I just don't see how, if someone is having a jersey retirement, they're going to be running other tributes for other players.

"Danny tried to sell me on it, but I told him, 'He had a shot, Danny, and he punked you on it. He pretty much dictated everything.' They let it happen because they felt sorry how (the trade to Cleveland) went down. It's guilt. That's what it is."

Plus bonus choice Rondo quote

quote:

"What has [Thomas] done?" Rondo said before Tuesday's game, according to the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. When told how Thomas led Boston to the East finals, Rondo replied, "Oh, that's what we celebrate around here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's just a loving video

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rajon rondo would be an incredible Real Housewife

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

R.D. Mangles posted:

rajon rondo would be an incredible Real Housewife

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rondo at the top of his game.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

That being said I think this storyline goes back a few weeks/months and IT was being kind of a dick about the scheduling at the beginning. Pierce does maybe have a point; the Celtics GOAT lineage runs Russell, Bird, Pierce.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's a drat shame the Kings already have Buddy Hield because Trae Young seems to have Vivek pick written all over him.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That being said I think this storyline goes back a few weeks/months and IT was being kind of a dick about the scheduling at the beginning. Pierce does maybe have a point; the Celtics GOAT lineage runs Russell, Bird, Pierce.

Ainge says in the article that he and IT's agent didn't even realize the next Celtics-Cavs game was Pierce's jersey retirement night when they agreed to bump it at first

It doesn't matter at all in the long term, but it's super funny to imagine an exasperated Ainge trying to see if maybe Pierce would be OK with a 60 second video during the pregame introduction and still getting nowhere

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

It's a drat shame the Kings already have Buddy Hield because Trae Young seems to have Vivek pick written all over him.

The Kings are getting the first overall??

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Ainge says in the article that he and IT's agent didn't even realize the next Celtics-Cavs game was Pierce's jersey retirement night when they agreed to bump it at first

That's kinda the point.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That being said I think this storyline goes back a few weeks/months and IT was being kind of a dick about the scheduling at the beginning. Pierce does maybe have a point; the Celtics GOAT lineage runs Russell, Bird, Pierce, Tatum

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

What happens when they trade for Anthony Davis :agesilaus:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jota posted:

lol afflalo got bitched out so much worse than if he had just gotten dropped in return for that punch. he got treated like he was his little brother dude didn't even have to put any effort into it. may as well have just extended his arm and put his hand on his head

In one of the angles you can see that Afflalo's forearm even does kinda smack Bjelica's head, it's not a complete dodge but it is completely shrugged off

i assume afflalo's going to get suspended for that. you can't just try to uppercut a dude into the ceiling spikes. A fatality on the court is bad for the brand

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Doltos posted:

The Kings are getting the first overall??

https://twitter.com/seancunningham/status/953109097326325760

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/953419233513238534

So wait, Chris Paul had Tarik Black and Clint Capela knock on the front door as a distraction, lead Trevor Ariza through the secret tunnel into the back entrance to the locker room, and then immediately played peace maker? And now Austin Rivers is being looked at by the league? Chris Paul just lead some Alex Jones style false flag operation right there

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Maybe Cliff knocked Chris out halfway and took his spot

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

They seem to be handling it much better than the Lakers did last year, giving the vets schedules so they know when they're off.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

WhyteRyce posted:

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/953419233513238534

So wait, Chris Paul had Tarik Black and Clint Capela knock on the front door as a distraction, lead Trevor Ariza through the secret tunnel into the back entrance to the locker room, and then immediately played peace maker? And now Austin Rivers is being looked at by the league? Chris Paul just lead some Alex Jones style false flag operation right there

CP3 stormed into a room of people that have at least 50 lbs on him and then panicked. "Naw I was just playin!"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

"Back off guys or I'm bringing Billy Hunter back"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

CP3 did that thing I do where someone bumps into me and spills my drink and I go "HEY MOTHERFUCKER" as I turn around then say "let me buy you a drink" when I get a look at him

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love Chris Paul in all his soft, Napoleanic assholery and I love this stupid league.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The GSW-HOU series is going to be amazing. Each team is guaranteed at least one incredible volcanic meltdown. I'm expecting CP3 and Draymond to get themselves suspended over the course of the series..

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Draymond is untouchable unless it prolongs the series.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
lmao, the pivot to describing the Rockets' stars as 'just trying to stop it from escalating, honest!' is so blatantly transparent, i love it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AD looked pretty good in his Boston try out. Maybe Ainge will consider throwing in Rozier or Smart into an offer now.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I keep on trying to not get sucked back into the IT video thing but I think I may actually be confused. I ask this seriously, what do these videos consist of in your cities? Because in Toronto they basically play a video for anyone that fans ever had an emotional connection with not counting the time that guy faked an injury to get traded (although he's gotten one once a year for the past 5 years) . It plays for like 45-90 seconds during a timeout in the second quarter and it's rarely shown on TV. It is never marketed in advance. And I really doubt they discuss it with agents/players.

Unless we're talking about the other type of tribute videos I read about online and then I totally get why Pierce would be hesitant.

BWV fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 17, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Paul Pierce knows that nobody else outside of Boston loves him and he’ll be damned if he has to share the spotlight

I appreciate a good petty moment

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BWV posted:

I keep on trying to not get sucked back into the IT video thing but I think I may actually be confused. I ask this seriously, what do these videos consist of in your cities? Because in Toronto they basically play a video for anyone that fans ever had an emotional connection with not counting the time that guy faked an injury to get traded (although he's gotten one once a year for the past 5 years) . It plays for like 45-90 seconds during a timeout in the second quarter and it's rarely shown on TV. It is never marketed in advance. And I really doubt they discuss it with agents/players.

Unless we're talking about the other type of tribute videos I read about online and then I totally get why Pierce would be hesitant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_XhQPasGqk

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/isaiahthomas/status/953427146114043905

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

xbilkis posted:

It's kind of cool how unapologetic Paul Pierce is about being a big ol baby regarding the potential acknowledgement of IT on His Special Day

Plus bonus choice Rondo quote

lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This is why professional fighting has weight classes. It's too difficult to have a watchable fight with extreme size difference. Although you could always watch videos of Crocop knocking out giants and sumo wrestlers on youtubes if you're in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UJ6msl4xTk

Away all Goats posted:

Draymond is untouchable unless it prolongs the series.

What Draymond does is a psychological tactic known as framing, whereby he changes the parameters of acceptable statements and behavior in a way that make the people he's interacting with act as if his behavior is normal.

Donald Trump was really good at framing his stupid arguments and it helped him destroy the Republican debates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LR6EA91zLo

Pitch framing is a similar concept where catchers trick umpires into calling balls strikes and vice versa. It became an analytics darling half a decade or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUJ1GqkLTy4

Call it Tech Framing or Draymon Fraymon Technical Foul Scowl

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 17, 2018

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grozz Nuy posted:

lmao, the pivot to describing the Rockets' stars as 'just trying to stop it from escalating, honest!' is so blatantly transparent, i love it

I'm probably the biggest CP3 fan/apologist here and even I'm laughing my rear end off and thinking "Oh come on."

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:eyepop:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was really hoping that this would be what it was.

Didn't Kevin Love throw a tantrum over it or something?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm embarrassed to say that it took me a sec to see where they were going with that, but maybe it was all the shade?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

When you turn 12 or 13 and think you can take your dad in a basketball game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

When you turn 12 or 13 and think you can take your dad in a basketball game.

Knowing the results of that game sort of takes away from that caption though

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm fully of the opinion that Boogie should be the undisputed best center in the NBA but he wastes his gifts. Like a smart kid who used his enormous mental powers to figure out how to do less work and now the inability to do work catches up to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

I'm fully of the opinion that Boogie should be the undisputed best center in the NBA but he wastes his gifts. Like a smart kid who used his enormous mental powers to figure out how to do less work and now the inability to do work catches up to them

You try being Roseannes son

• Locked thread