Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If anime is bad and western is good then why does Skyrim have so many anime mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

babypolis posted:

obviously it always had tons of anime influences but the early games were a mishmash of a bunch of different things. 6 in particular just throws everything in there

its not a value judgement, I dont think being anime makes the series any better or worse. But you can deffo see how they made the transitions to a fully anime art style from 6 to 7

you are the dumbest boy alive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Caphi posted:

If anime is bad and western is good then why does Skyrim have so many anime mods?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the only way to truely understand this debate is to replace the word anime with cartoon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Of course now Endorph is gonna tell me about a space marine anime

I think that's just the Tau

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the most anime game of all time is cuphead btw

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

that's a synonym.

amano literally designed characters for anime dude

thats fair enough, I dont know his roots. It looks different enough to me

dunno why its such a controversial topic though that was just my own perspective

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

jin-roh?

that's more killzone tho

That clip isn't really space marine imo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

babypolis posted:

obviously it always had tons of anime influences but the early games were a mishmash of a bunch of different things. 6 in particular just throws everything in there

its not a value judgement, I dont think being anime makes the series any better or worse. But you can deffo see how they made the transitions to a fully anime art style from 6 to 7

yeah there's deffo no mishmash of ideas in modern FF's.

Lord knows FFX's weird east islander/catholic/psychedelic freakout technology is just really par for the course...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

babypolis posted:

thats fair enough, I dont know his roots. It looks different enough to me

dunno why its such a controversial topic though that was just my own perspective
i mean it looks different from modern anime because amano got his start as an artist in the 70s and 80s. final fantasy 7 takes influence from late 90s anime but it also takes influence from stuff like blade runner, alien, and the thing. final fantasy 6 takes influence from late 80s/early 90s anime but it also takes influence from star wars, batman, and uh, more star wars.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

i mean it looks different from modern anime because amano got his start as an artist in the 70s and 80s. final fantasy 7 takes influence from late 90s anime but it also takes influence from stuff like blade runner, alien, and the thing. final fantasy 6 takes influence from late 80s/early 90s anime but it also takes influence from star wars, batman, and uh, more star wars.

Ok I can buy that. I guess I was thinking more in terms of the sleeker modern anime and not the weirder looking stuff from the 80s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
yeah thats fair, anime got its start in the west with dbz and sailor moon and only really became huge business with stuff like naruto and bleach, so in the west people associate that look with anime without really being familiar with the 70s/80s stuff, so it feels like stuff from japan got homogeneous all at once instead of just shifting the popular trend without really changing how many things follow A popular trend

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I want a new phantasy star

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Overbite posted:

I mean, same, but..

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

jin-roh?

that's more killzone tho

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Overbite posted:

I want PSO 2 to officially come out in the US.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Give me a magical girl inspired FF pls

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Give me a magical girl inspired FF pls

X-2, my dude. Also Lightning Returns.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

chumbler posted:

lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
is wild arms xf any good? if it's not garbo like wa4 (and 5?) then it might be a good reason to dust off my ps mortis

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

PSO2 looked really cool, and I made marina liteyears in the character creator.

Raxivace posted:

Do you think there's some kind correlation between age and weird hatred of things being "anime"?

I feel like I've seen that more in people 5-10ish years older than I am (I'll be 26 in February) than people around my own age but obviously that's just anecdotal.

honestly i only ever see that poo poo on these forums

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

You and me both. :smith:

I was so ready to pour money into that game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

the only imperial general who acts remotely like anything resembling a general is leo, kefka and celes are just kind of random superpowered guys who wander around doing whatever they want

Celes we only meet chained up in a dungeon. Do we ever actually see her in her capacity as general prior to that? I don't think we do.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Celes we only meet chained up in a dungeon. Do we ever actually see her in her capacity as general prior to that? I don't think we do.

I think Kefka talks to her in an earlier scene.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mill Village posted:

I think Kefka talks to her in an earlier scene.

she's standing on the imperial palace with kefka and the emperor in terra's flashback where gestahl is talking about how vector is going to conquer the world with magitek

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

she's standing on the imperial palace with kefka and the emperor in terra's flashback where gestahl is talking about how vector is going to conquer the world with magitek
He actually says "with magic" I'm pretty sure (because she and kefka are there as well as magitek)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I finished the Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga remake for the 3DS. What a solid game. Unfortunately for me, it's extremely easy; I believe every enemy's attack can be dodged if one's timing is right. As such, I never once used a single item (the game is easy, patterns are easy, and there is a health replenish thing almost every other screen) and as a gag I only put level-up points into their STACHE points, which is like luck, although luck is apparently its own stat so who knows. Anyway, that's all fine, and by the time I reached the final boss, I had to use a health thing three times -- again, the game is very, very easy -- but Jesus loving Christ Goddamn gently caress, I couldn't get the timing down on the final boss for poo poo. He kills me in two hits. It took me all day; I don't believe there's any way to re-spec. one's character, is there? Well, I got it, after try after try after try -- it offers to allow one to retry in easy mode, but I never opted for it; not that I think it would have helped -- what would it have bought me, three hits instead of two?

Also: The Last Story for the Wii. My girlfriend picked this up at the recent Portland Retro Games Expo; I'd never heard of it, but she had heard good things. What an amazingly robust combat system for something in which one often pushes no button at all but simply moves the joystick around (you attack whatever you're kind of near, or pushing up against.) I would do a terrible job of doing justice by explaining how this is so intricate and complex -- was this a game I just missed, or was it ever a hit?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Last Story was the other game in the fan petition that got Xenoblade released in the west. So it was immediately overshadowed by Xenoblade, though it sold decently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

Last Story was the other game in the fan petition that got Xenoblade released in the west. So it was immediately overshadowed by Xenoblade, though it sold decently.

I thought there were 3 Project Rainfall games; Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.

Man no one ever remembers Pandora's Tower.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I'm currently playing that on my 3DS; they're both British and the combat systems are very similar. I wondered if they were the same team; I mean, the development team, too, but I guess not. I wish I'd just played it on the Wii; my girlfriend is doing that. We thought it'd be cute. I don't like the tiny goddamn screen for a game this big.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

I thought there were 3 Project Rainfall games; Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.

Man no one ever remembers Pandora's Tower.

Ironically The Last Story is the only one of the three not on the WiiU eShop.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The White Dragon posted:

is wild arms xf any good? if it's not garbo like wa4 (and 5?) then it might be a good reason to dust off my ps mortis

It has probably the most intricate job system in an SRPG since FFT but there's a good stretch of game where it heavily encourages if not forces you to use certain jobs on certain stages as a way of introducing you to them. It's also really hard at certain points. If you had significant problems with the plot and characters of WA4 and 5 then I don't think you would enjoy it but the gameplay is certainly interesting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Is XF the one that gives you a rad dog party member and then it turns out he is completely useless?

I remember that annoying me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i fuckin LOVED the last story. normally i would say something like "well i thought it was good, but not great, but good enough" because it is a pretty cheesy story, but hey, there's my uninhibited opinion of it.

i got frustrated at it at the final boss because i was underleveled, but it's not a problem because last story uses scaled leveling. and in my favorite way! you catch up really quickly because being behind in levels gives you a multiplier to exp received--it's suikoden levels of speedy--but after you've caught up, enemies have an exp floor so you can't "outlevel" getting experience from them.

too bad about wild arms. i'm maybe 66% through wild arms 3 and i find myself wanting more, but also something i haven't played yet.

i guess one of these days i'll fire up front mission 3. it's too bad that iirc it has that weird artifacts from the japanese source version, like changing your name doesn't change your character's given name; only your surname

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 17, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I will always have a fondness for reconciling FF portraits with their spritework. I aIways really liked Phantasy Star IV artwork too. It was just a great adaptation of sci fi anime in its time.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 17, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Terra in Dissidia has her outfit from the official art but then has green hair like her sprite

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

I think Terra in Dissidia has her outfit from the official art but then has green hair like her sprite

Nah, she had blonde hair like the art, but her green hair look is available an alternate costume, at least in the first two games don't know about NT.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nah, she had blonde hair like the art, but her green hair look is available an alternate costume, at least in the first two games don't know about NT.

Set A:
Set B:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the combination of weird lighting and wishful thinking made me see it as green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zore posted:

Is XF the one that gives you a rad dog party member and then it turns out he is completely useless?

I remember that annoying me.

That's the one. :woof: