Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
How can you not see the potential for a giant mobile squirt gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bid on this, didn't win. 1988 turbo diesel Toyota Hilux Surf with sweet graphics. 5 speed manual, AC. Rear window that won't go up or down hence the plastic on the back. Going theory is the owner is selling it because it won't pass shaken that is due this month.

I bid $1800, it went for $2200.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
$2200 for a turbo diesel 1st gen 4runner in that condition is a steal.

I love the graphics Toyota put on Hiluxes in the 80s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is the Autobot Trailbreaker.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Fermented Tinal posted:

It is as unkillable and gutless as every other Toyota I4 from the 80s... and still manufactured.

The 2.4 TD (2LTE) is absolutely killable, it's notorious for cracking heads, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole unless it was intended as a donor vehicle for putting a 1KZ into instead

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

$2200 for a turbo diesel 1st gen 4runner in that condition is a steal.

I love the graphics Toyota put on Hiluxes in the 80s.

It looks a lot better on the sheet than it did with actual eyes on it. This is what the inspector guy said as he was there futzing with it

Third Part Inspector posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke once warmed, no vibrations, timing belt at 190,059km, oil black, slight sludge, coolant ok no leaks, valve cover and oil pan area oily, might drip if running for a while, power steering ok, tires have 70% no cracks (studless), spare tire ok, cargo area rear door not opening, window makes no sound and does not move up or down with switch pressed, tire arches/fenders starting to show small spots or rust/corrosion, boots ok, undercarriage painted so hard to see actual condition, leaf springs rust/borderline corrosion under paint, muffler rusted/corrosion, other undercarriage most likely surface rust under paint, strong cigarette smell, fading on interior, small burns in center console, no floor mats, interior dirty, deep cleaning required, drivers seat has 2 5-7cm tears on door side but not sunk, AC ok, clutch ok, gears ok, rear gate light on, other check lights ok, 4WD lever ok, lights ok, no power windows, wipers ok

Still a good buy at 2200 but it's a little more rough than what I'd like, especially with a 3.5 grade. That weak-rear end piss baby head cracking (:v:) Prado I bought was much nicer but listed as a 3. I figured if I did score it at 1800 then I could dive into the world of body rust repair! And I've long come to expect that a "deep clean" is always required on whatever I get.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I've actually seen one of those tiny firetrucks in Vancouver lol

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

gimpsuitjones posted:

The 2.4 TD (2LTE) is absolutely killable, it's notorious for cracking heads, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole unless it was intended as a donor vehicle for putting a 1KZ into instead

Yeah, I read in the ih8mud thread I linked that the 2L actually doesn't take to a turbo all that well.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

the NA 2L is extremely reliable though. as is the 3L.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's also as gutless as the engine in our cruisers. :v:

90ish horsepower, 160ish ftlbs, doesn't like more than very modest boost and EGTs have to be kept low to keep the head from falling apart... It's like the 2L is kind of a miniaturization of a 3B.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah I do find it interesting, fresh links to repair/service manuals. Thank you very much, saves me a bunch of time looking for this stuff later.

In not-my-stuff-news:

$760 bucks for an old firetruck. I'd probably never buy one but I can see all sorts of potential for something like this. So cheap.

Cool as gently caress and dumb cheap.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

KakerMix posted:

Still a good buy at 2200 but it's a little more rough than what I'd like, especially with a 3.5 grade. That weak-rear end piss baby head cracking (:v:) Prado I bought was much nicer but listed as a 3. I figured if I did score it at 1800 then I could dive into the world of body rust repair! And I've long come to expect that a "deep clean" is always required on whatever I get.

Has anything you've come across not had a "strong cigarette smell"? Just curious.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I take solace in the fact that I've daily driven a kei van from the early 80s so I know 'gutless' and the Prado I got is about the lowest-weight one you can get being short wheelbase and a 2-door.

Besides, there is a PZ-powered one that's up for auction tonight :getin:

VacaGrande posted:

Has anything you've come across not had a "strong cigarette smell"? Just curious.

The 90 Acty and the 83 Hijet were non-smoker cars but otherwise lol nope. The Crown made me go ahead and buy a small ozone generator and will be the first test subject. Just kind of assume the stereotype for 80s-90s Japanese means that they smoke, probably.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cool as gently caress and dumb cheap.

Probably not cheap when you need parts for it though, that's the problem.

Looks like it would be a good beach vehicle conversion tho.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Daihatsu Pics came in, behold generic kei van!!!!!

Still waiting on the bill from the useless mechanic, oh well live and learn. Talked to a guy at Yokohama Parts, says the amplifier is pretty hard to come by, and he say it usually is not the problem so will just go about and do the diag myself, check all the sensors for resistance and check the wiring for no shorts or open.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Daihatsu Pics came in, behold generic kei van!!!!!

Still waiting on the bill from the useless mechanic, oh well live and learn. Talked to a guy at Yokohama Parts, says the amplifier is pretty hard to come by, and he say it usually is not the problem so will just go about and do the diag myself, check all the sensors for resistance and check the wiring for no shorts or open.

Nothing generic about that interior pattern and the blue 'Cruise' decal on the outside :colbert:
Looks good and glad you got some direction from the Yokohama guys.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I take solace in the fact that I've daily driven a kei van from the early 80s so I know 'gutless' and the Prado I got is about the lowest-weight one you can get being short wheelbase and a 2-door.

Besides, there is a PZ-powered one that's up for auction tonight :getin:

The 90 Acty and the 83 Hijet were non-smoker cars but otherwise lol nope. The Crown made me go ahead and buy a small ozone generator and will be the first test subject. Just kind of assume the stereotype for 80s-90s Japanese means that they smoke, probably.

I've been doing some more reading about the head-cracking issue with the 2L-TE and apparently you can avoid it by getting an EGT gauge and keeping the temp below 1000F. There's the odd anecdote about re-routing the exhaust too, but from pictures I can't see how that would help.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 17, 2018

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

Nothing generic about that interior pattern and the blue 'Cruise' decal on the outside :colbert:
Looks good and glad you got some direction from the Yokohama guys.

Ya I know its not fair to take out my lovely mechanic situation on the poor Kei van. I do wish it was a Cruise Turbo FX, that would be legit.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I've been doing some more reading about the head-cracking issue with the 2L-TE and apparently you can avoid it by getting an EGT gauge and keeping the temp below 1000F. There's the odd anecdote about re-routing the exhaust too, but from pictures I can't see how that would help.

"apparently" is the key word there, I reckon

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Ya "r" stands for repaired(s), but repairs in Japan does not mean something was just broken, modifications could also trigger an R. Basically R is a crap shoot.

I recall being told that modifications can never cause an R grade, that it's a common misconception and it always means an accident.

Consider the cars a lot of people are looking at and the japanese equivalent of the gen 4 v6 camaro owners who previously owned them, accidents are inevitable.
If you're buying a 25 year old car with the intention of modifying it in any serious way I wouldn't shy away from an R grade that looks decent. Particularly not an RA.
You're more likely to get some interesting mods too, I think it was an RA R32 that pacificcoast did a video on once that had a full VCAM system installed, not mentioned in the auction info at all.

edit: found it, it was an R https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xItluNFN6E

astropika fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 17, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

gimpsuitjones posted:

"apparently" is the key word there, I reckon

I put that word in, because I have no experience with the engine personally.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the years or specs are, but I know they're getting on for something like 50% more power and torque over the 2.4.

Paging Ferremit?

Yeah, the 2.4TD barely makes any more power than the naturally aspirated 2.8D where as the jap spec 3.0TD’s have more than enough power to turn two 33” mud terrains into smoke taking off from the lights on a rainy day and put the arse end sideways around every corner if you try.

The first of the 3.0TD hilux surfs would be getting close to US import now, if they aren’t already all in AU/NZ by now. Essentially a mid 90’s 4Runner but with massive amounts more fruit in them in the high end models and a decent turbo diesel.

Change the oil really frequently in that 2L-TE motor- those old indirect injection motors soot up their oil something terrible- 5000km intervals were the norm for a change unless you hated big end bearings.

Fun fact- toyota didn’t change that dashboard design in the 70 series from its introduction in 1988 until 2009!

I dunno how many of the HDJ80’s would still be floating around in japan- most of them here in Aus are well on their way to half a million KM old trucks now and the early 1HD-T motors had a huge problem with big end bearing failure that killed an awful lot of motors.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Oh god a 1PZ. All the gutlessness of a 1HZ but with one less cylinder to help balance the whole mess properly. You get 113hp and 170ft.lb of torque vs the 1HZ’s 129hp and 210ft.lb of torque.

The gem motor in the early cruisers is the 1HD-T with 164hp and 267ft.lb

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Fun fact- toyota didn’t change that dashboard design in the 70 series from its introduction in 1988 until 2009!

It's the best dashboard design. 100% function

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I put that word in, because I have no experience with the engine personally.

yah I've had mates with them in Prados who've read all the ways to prevent it on the internet and tried them and still blown heads

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I wonder how much longer we'll have to wait to get 1VDs.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm more caviler about it I guess because I'm not going to be wheeling this thing around and getting all off-road with it. It's going to be a mall-crawling-esque thing (I imagine, anyway) because it says 'diesel' on it and also 'land cruiser'. Kind of like my Rugger, it's basically retired here in Florida taking it easy bringing me to the grocery store as I bounce up and down in the driver's seat like a kid on one of those horses that rocks back and forth outside of K-Mart. Whoever I sell it to will probably do the same thing. I'm taking your links and advice seriously though, don't get me wrong, it's just if this Cruiser has lasted since 1991 so far I can't imagine it's going to have a rougher time here in the USA.

astropika posted:

I recall being told that modifications can never cause an R grade, that it's a common misconception and it always means an accident.

Consider the cars a lot of people are looking at and the japanese equivalent of the gen 4 v6 camaro owners who previously owned them, accidents are inevitable.
If you're buying a 25 year old car with the intention of modifying it in any serious way I wouldn't shy away from an R grade that looks decent. Particularly not an RA.
You're more likely to get some interesting mods too, I think it was an RA R32 that pacificcoast did a video on once that had a full VCAM system installed, not mentioned in the auction info at all.

edit: found it, it was an R https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xItluNFN6E

Right I don't think modifications make an R grade, but an R grade can be repaired with modified parts which causes the confusion. Again the whole system relies a lot of whatever inspector is looking at the car for the first time. You'll see a car go through an auction house, get bought, spun onto a different one and the sheet will be a lot different even though it's the same car inspected days apart.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I'm more caviler about it I guess because I'm not going to be wheeling this thing around and getting all off-road with it. It's going to be a mall-crawling-esque thing (I imagine, anyway) because it says 'diesel' on it and also 'land cruiser'. Kind of like my Rugger, it's basically retired here in Florida taking it easy bringing me to the grocery store as I bounce up and down in the driver's seat like a kid on one of those horses that rocks back and forth outside of K-Mart. Whoever I sell it to will probably do the same thing. I'm taking your links and advice seriously though, don't get me wrong, it's just if this Cruiser has lasted since 1991 so far I can't imagine it's going to have a rougher time here in the USA.

To be fair, if it has temp issues being in FL isn't helping it either. Mall crawling in the middle of summer with the a/c blasting is enough to push it, you don't have to be off roading to get into high temp problems. I'd be wary and keep an eye on it at least.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

It's the best dashboard design. 100% function

1985 also. and the Prado (xxJ78) dash changed when they went to the 1KZ in 1993

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 18, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:toot: :toot:

1991 Land Cruiser, 3.5 liter straight 5 (!) non-turbo, 5 speed manual with A/C. Non-smoker car this time #wow. Looks a lot better than the Prado.

Ok ok I'm done now.

I did get new tires and repainted the wheels on my Rugger though, now it looks like it should.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 18, 2018

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

That stereo though :barf:

KakerMix posted:

I did get new tires and repainted the wheels on my Rugger though, now it looks like it should.

Yeah that is lookin' real sharp now. Nice work. :toot: :toot:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

That PZJ70 has factory lockers too

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
All these 70s just make me wish I could buy a brand new cab-chassis one like I used to see roll down the 401 on transports on their way to the mines/overseas. :smith:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You want a HDJ79 over a VDJ79 any day, the straight 6 turbo diesel is the far far superior motor

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really want a Jay Leno style garage full of oddball Japanese vehicles, especially Mazdas. :]

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

You want a HDJ79 over a VDJ79 any day, the straight 6 turbo diesel is the far far superior motor

I just want the motor, hell, from either one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I'm done because lol, but this is super rad. 1988 5 speed manual turbo diesel. For me it's mostly about the pre-facelift style than anything.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I just want the motor, hell, from either one.

1VD won’t fit in any old Cruiser chassis sadly

Dream vehicle is a HDJ78 Troopy. But they’re impossible to find. Or a HDJ76 wagon but they’re not real

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Mystery Of The Daihatsu Taft's Name May Be Solved

With such a badass name, I might have to grab a Daihatsu TAFT if a good quality one ever pops up. There's two at auction right now but they both look lousy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

The Mystery Of The Daihatsu Taft's Name May Be Solved

With such a badass name, I might have to grab a Daihatsu TAFT if a good quality one ever pops up. There's two at auction right now but they both look lousy.

This one was about the best looking old-style Taft I've seen

and if I were after one is probably one I would have bid on. They don't come up often at all, though you can get these exact ones but wearing the 'Blizzard' name.