Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Detective No. 27 posted:

I used this patch no problem. Good work!

I couldn't figure out what 3DS piracy site was being aluded to, so I just spent an hour making my own GBA cia files. Kinda a pain, but hey, I got a bunch done. Thanks for the help, people.

I assume 'that ISO site' is the one being referred to, and if you Google that, you'll find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Wii U - Boot1 Key and exploit released
Switch - Up to version 4.1 has exploits (but isn't released yet)
Switch emulator has been released but can't play games yet

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, I wish I bought a spare Switch when it came out. EmuNAND on launch units? That's friggin nuts.

I eventually bought a 2nd one when I found out they were coming with firmware above 3.0. My "spare" unit is now sitting in the closet on 2.3.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Has anyone made NES injections on 3DS with "perfect pixel" mode yet? And/or with SNES on Wii U?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is wonderful.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Holy poo poo.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Has anyone made NES injections on 3DS with "perfect pixel" mode yet? And/or with SNES on Wii U?

Perfect pixel would probably be best for NES injections anyway, since the NES's vertical resolution matches the 3DS's. (256x240 vs 400 [top]/320 [bottom]x240)

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
At this point why not emulate NES? Does VC support expansion audio (VRC6/VRC7/Sunsoft 5B/...)?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What exactly is vc injection?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

What exactly is vc injection?

Virtual Console injection. Basically taking the emulator Nintendo use for VC releases and injecting your own ROMs into them. With GBA games, it's called VC injection because it uses the emulation Nintendo used for the Ambassador programme back in the day if I remember correctly.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Virtual Console injection. Basically taking the emulator Nintendo use for VC releases and injecting your own ROMs into them. With GBA games, it's called VC injection because it uses the emulation Nintendo used for the Ambassador programme back in the day if I remember correctly.

Not "emulation" for GBA but more like mode-switching. Other than that, yes same basic thing. Without those Ambassador games and the accompanying AGB_FIRM, GBA games on the 3DS would be nowhere near the quality they are now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

African AIDS cum posted:

Just use an emulator on the 3ds for nes games. They look so much better than whatever stupid aspect ratio the virtual console sets them to.

Seeing what snes and nes games look like in pixel perfect mode has been no joke, one of my favorite things in gaming ever. I get to enjoy all those games again, looking as good as they ever did (actually better) without having to use a crt or lovely filters.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 17, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Just use an emulator on the 3ds for nes games. They look so much better than whatever stupid aspect ratio the virtual console sets them to.

Seeing what snes and nes games look like in pixel perfect mode on the 3ds has been no joke, one of my favorite things in gaming ever. I get to enjoy all those games again, looking as good as they ever did (actually better) without having to use a crt or lovely filters.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Seeing what snes and nes games look like in pixel perfect mode has been no joke, one of my favorite things in gaming ever. I get to enjoy all those games again, looking as good as they ever did (actually better) without having to use a crt or lovely filters.

Not to spoil your enjoyment, but aren't they in incorrect aspect ratio when mapped 1:1? Snes is 8:7 internally if I remember correctly but displayed 4:3 on a crt monitor.

At least it bothers me so much that with snes games I've preferred the "4:3" option on my 3DS which stretches the picture horizontally and makes it bit blurry.

I agree that filters are usually lovely, but with a 4K display and retroarch on pc you can actually use something that resembles a proper CRT.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I have a Japanese OG 3ds I want to hack. I think I can stumble my way through the CFW installation but after that is it relatively simple to change the system menu to english with the CFW tools?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SnatchRabbit posted:

I have a Japanese OG 3ds I want to hack. I think I can stumble my way through the CFW installation but after that is it relatively simple to change the system menu to english with the CFW tools?

You could try a region swap to turn it into an EU or NA unit: https://3ds.guide/region-changing.html

I'm not 100% sure that changes the interface language but I would assume it does.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

rantAK posted:

Not to spoil your enjoyment, but aren't they in incorrect aspect ratio when mapped 1:1? Snes is 8:7 internally if I remember correctly but displayed 4:3 on a crt monitor.

At least it bothers me so much that with snes games I've preferred the "4:3" option on my 3DS which stretches the picture horizontally and makes it bit blurry.

I agree that filters are usually lovely, but with a 4K display and retroarch on pc you can actually use something that resembles a proper CRT.

You're right that the pixel size looks a bit different, but it doesn't bother me as the games only look a bit skinnier than I remember and for some reason I don't notice it on the SNES as much. Everything being razor sharp while having zero filters is what makes it look amazing to me.

The only filters I ever liked was whatever Sonic Mania used and I have no idea what it's called and I've never seen anything else use it. If you haven't seen it, basically it looks like the scan lines are going in both directions. It makes it look like you are playing on one of those huge LED billboards and I really like it for some reason. Of course this means that I've seen it literally nowhere else :emo:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The only filters I ever liked was whatever Sonic Mania used and I have no idea what it's called and I've never seen anything else use it. If you haven't seen it, basically it looks like the scan lines are going in both directions. It makes it look like you are playing on one of those huge LED billboards and I really like it for some reason. Of course this means that I've seen it literally nowhere else :emo:

Someone actually extracted the shaders Sonic Mania uses for those filters and ported them to run in ReShade, so you can use them with just about anything: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37175

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Can someone explain the different filters that FCEUGX or SNES9X uses, at least with the Wii versions of those emulators? I sort of see a difference, but I don't actually know what they're doing, or which one would actually be the best looking, because every time I switch, I sort of forget what the others look like because I'm dumb.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was going to try to Homebrew my friend's New 3DS, but he has at at the current firmware. I saw that it requires the boot9strap install, that needs two 3DSes and some dsiware. Didn't they close the DSiware store? Is there an easier way?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was going to try to Homebrew my friend's New 3DS, but he has at at the current firmware. I saw that it requires the boot9strap install, that needs two 3DSes and some dsiware. Didn't they close the DSiware store? Is there an easier way?

Yeah you can use the ntrboot route instead. https://3ds.guide/ntrboot

You're going to need to buy a ds flashcart though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh cool. Which is the goon approved flash cart?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Really anything on that list works. The main issue is finding a place to buy one. The nds-card website recommended by the guide worked for me when I bought something but I highly recommend doing it via paypal even though I think you have to email someone and put the money in some "unrelated" email account 'cause reasons.

I just remember shortly after NTRBoot came out and someone used stripe on the nds-card website they had their credit card info stolen so I don't trust not using paypal there

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh cool. Which is the goon approved flash cart?

R4i Gold 3DS, either RTS not-deluxe, or Plus.

If you have an Acekard 2i somewhere you get the bonus of it still works as a DS/CFW-3DS flashcard with ntrboot on it, but probably not worth buying new.

^ ^ ^ Technically yes whatever card works, but I'd pay more for less hassle and not at all for a timebombed card. And yeah, it's harder to find safe retailers of cards these days.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah I guess I should have said there's several cards on that list that are "time bombed" which means if they detect the date on your console is X they won't work anymore. Probably should avoid those even if you save like $5

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If you're an oversized, rampaging nerd who likes theory: a smart dude made a great write-up about exploiting 1.0.0 Switches.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean. That’s me to a T

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So Advanced Guardian Heroes, a GBA game I put on my 2DS says there's an update.

Huh? :raise:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Someone actually extracted the shaders Sonic Mania uses for those filters and ported them to run in ReShade, so you can use them with just about anything: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37175

God I love the internet. Thank you for this.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So Advanced Guardian Heroes, a GBA game I put on my 2DS says there's an update.

Huh? :raise:

Haha it had to be a thing where your 2ds is set to download updates and it happened to pop up when you clicked on the game.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Actually it could because of the TitleID that the injector set. The 3DS will check if the TitleID of the software you're launching has a newer version on the eShop. So let's say all VC injections are 1.0, and your injection has titleid 0004000000055d00 which is also Pokemon X. Pokemon X has an update to 1.5 and since 1.5 > 1.0 you'll get the notification. Something similar to that at least.

Pretty sure it is harmless, and even if you do try to run the update it will fail and not affect the title at all. You may want to make your own injection that doesn't share a TitleID with anything else though, just so it doesn't notify you every time you launch the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's interesting. I booted it up with no problems. It's not even a game I intend to play for a while. Just something that stuck out when scrolling the crapton of GBA games I put in.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm about to jump into getting my Wii U all set up to run Wii U, Wii, and Gamecube backups.

Before I pull the trigger on this Amazon cart, can anyone tell me if there's anything wrong with the HDDs and SD cards I'm buying:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LNJBA2I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1 - The HDDs (One for Wii U backups, the other for Wii and GCN)
https://www.amazon.ca/ORICO-Screw-L...5+enclosure-The enclosures
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B010Q57T02/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1- The SD card.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I don't think there will be a problem. Since that's a powered enclosure wii u won't have to try to power the hdds so it'll see them. You'll have to do that thing where the wii u ignores the wii and gcn hdd in wii u mode or it'll ask you to format it each time you power the console on.

I'm just running my wii u hdd stuff off of a 256 gig usb stick and put the wii and gcn stuff (but haven't used it much so don't know about load times) on a sd card. edit: Mainly did this because I'm low/out of plugs behind the tv where the wii u is at so don't have the space for wall powered hdd enclosures

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Terrific, thanks a lot.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I was sent here by the 3DS thread. What's the current hotness for currently up to date 3DS save editing? Was a way to edit the streetpass game saves ever found?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

havenwaters posted:

I don't think there will be a problem. Since that's a powered enclosure wii u won't have to try to power the hdds so it'll see them. You'll have to do that thing where the wii u ignores the wii and gcn hdd in wii u mode or it'll ask you to format it each time you power the console on.

Wait how do you do this?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
This might be the best place I can ask this.

I have a R4i 3DS RTS that I use in my DSi XL to play DS games. The themes are horrid. Where can I get some nice, clean themes for this thing?
I really love Clearlooks, failing that I'm down with something black and minimal.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Wait how do you do this?

You setup UStealth

Not all Wii/vWii Homebrew work with it since the drive is actually hidden from the wiiu so you may have to use a different usb loader. I know usbloader gx works with it.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Cross posting from the retro thread, does anyone have any experience / recommendation with legit sites that sell the R4i Gold 3DS RTS / PLUS in the us? All the sites I’ve looked at look sketch as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I bought an 8bitdo retro receiver in hopes of using a switch pro controller as a Wii Classic controller. Seems like it would work, as the Retro Receiver plugs into a wiimote (or NES/SNES Classic) and pairs fine. The firmware on it does not translate properly, however, even on the latest, so it's now a useless lump. If anybody wants it, let me know, cause I'll never get an NES/SNES Classic. It's one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076B995TL/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517088262&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65