Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
HIS PENIS IS TOTALLY FINE

this is definitely a new favorite episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Fart City posted:

Oh man. Akroyd talk really makes me want to request Nothing But Trouble. I know they’ve mentioned it here and there, but I don’t think they’ve ever done an episode on it.

I'd love to hear an episode for a movie they've all hated with a passion for years, but they've mentioned in the past that they refuse to do an episode on it because it's disgusting and they never want to watch it again, but they might honor a listener request for it. I mean, they eventually did Batman and Robin even after saying they'd never do it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't believe they're calling Geostorm one of the worst movies of 2017. They said it'd probably be their favorite of the worst of 2017, but still. Geostorm was ridiculously stupid and a ton of fun throughout. I wouldn't even dream of calling it one of the worst of 2017.

The Bye-Bye Man sounds pretty bad from everything I've heard, though.

Geostorm came up on TV once and I couldn't believe it wasn't a parody of these kinds of world ending disaster movies. Everything about it was incredibly goofy but it felt like it wasn't leaning in quite hard enough.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
The latest episode suddenly got very Chapo with all the game theory jokes. Fat Boys crossover with the Dry Boys soon?

Also, recommended Rock-A-Doodle and Rats: Night Of Terror for episodes, and the episode of Doug where he breaks Mr. Dink's grill for Animation Damnation.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I guess this is a thing people are trying to get going: http://whm.wikia.com/wiki/The_We_Hate_Movies_Podcast_Wiki

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GrandpaPants posted:

So I guess this is a thing people are trying to get going: http://whm.wikia.com/wiki/The_We_Hate_Movies_Podcast_Wiki

*Stephen Sajdakly* Ewwwww

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

That'll be really useful when it fizzles out in a week.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

GrandpaPants posted:

Hosts > Steve Sajdak > List Of New York Incidents > Fish-related

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hopefully I'll remember to call in Hudson Hawk this year. Because boy howdy.

I unironically love Hudson Hawk. And after watching you must read the chapter about it in Richard E. Grant's memoir.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
People make wikias for the stupidest stuff.

But I think a WHM one will be great. It's awesome how often this thread can answer "Which episode had that one character from that one totally random tangent?" but being able to search for that will be even better.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's a credit to how much built up good will and love I have for WHM that I'm tolerating a podcast that takes like...eight minutes to actually start
Do your thing guys

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Brocktoon posted:

I unironically love Hudson Hawk. And after watching you must read the chapter about it in Richard E. Grant's memoir.

I remember Hudson Hawk being dumb fun, but I haven't watched it in years. I'm worried that it won't hold up now that I'm older than 15.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's a credit to how much built up good will and love I have for WHM that I'm tolerating a podcast that takes like...eight minutes to actually start
Do your thing guys

Eh, the stuff at the beginning is usually still funny. I hate when podcasts start with cold flat reads of advertisements, but they try to make theirs entertaining.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I appreciate the “shill song” they play under their ads, because if you want to skip past them it’s easy to quickly hear when they finish.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

I remember Hudson Hawk being dumb fun, but I haven't watched it in years. I'm worried that it won't hold up now that I'm older than 15.

I have the same thougths about "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, the stuff at the beginning is usually still funny. I hate when podcasts start with cold flat reads of advertisements, but they try to make theirs entertaining.
I almost find that more annoying when podcasts do it since it's more insidiously mixed in and harder to skip past whereas if it's just a robotic thing you just need a couple skips and it's easier to figure where it begins and ends. I'm not going to listen to podcast ads anyway, whether they're by a podcast trying to make them "funny" or one doing robotic reads.
Again I don't begrudge them any of this, just saying. If anything it's a credit to how much I enjoy WHM that Im okay with having to skip the first eight minutes of an episode.
Being spoiled by UYD doesn't help.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Fart City posted:

I appreciate the “shill song” they play under their ads, because if you want to skip past them it’s easy to quickly hear when they finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxsOXOPni0o

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Fart City posted:

It did make it weird recently when I heard that tune in a different context recently, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I listen to WHM at 1.5x speed and have for so long that it just sounds natural to me now, so hearing this song at normal speed weirds me the gently caress out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I listen to WHM at 1.5x speed

:stare:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ignoranus posted:

It did make it weird recently when I heard that tune in a different context recently, though.

??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxVMlO7hgU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Try it sometime, it really doesn't sound as weird or unnatural as you'd think

You get through episodes quicker, giving you more time for other podcasts :eng101:

I listen to most podcasts at speeds faster than 1x. WHM at 1.5x, Giant Bombcast/Beastcast at 1.5x, This American Life at 1.5x, Guys We hosed at 1.5x or even 2x sometimes, etc.

Some of them just sound too slow after adjusting to listening to them faster

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I do too much driving. I think I'm going to start to listen at .75x speed instead.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I listen to audiobooks at 1.25x to 1.5x speed since I can still basically follow them and said audiobooks are 40 hours long otherwise, so I don't think it's that strange to do it for podcasts especially if you have a large library of them. When I drove 90+ minutes to and from work 5 days a week (combined) I could get through a weeks worth of podcasts no problem, nowadays I don't do that anymore so sometimes it becomes harder to get through everything, but I'm fine with having a backlog.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I definitely put stuff on at higher speed if I'm behind on shows, and I'll slow it down if I have a couple of slow shifts or long commutes and am on the low end of things.

I also probably listen to an unhealthy amount of podcasts, though.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I listen to most things at 2x, including WHM. NPR style stuff gets 2.5. I kinda "worked up" to that though, gradually increasing speeds so it didn't feel jarring. My bf insists on regular speed and it drives me batty to listen to stuff with him.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

You guys are weird. I can’t imagine listening to podcasts like that. It’d feel so unnatural

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah i've tried listening to audiobooks and stuff at 1.5x and it just messes with my brain

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

People get used to it and can generally process it pretty well, I just think it significantly warps the effects of a work of art. Timing and pacing are critical elements of audio and video. If you're strictly looking for information with something like NPR then it does make more sense. When it comes to comedy I find that it alters the deliveries and overall rapport enough to throw things off. For WHM specifically, I would think that it also impacts the impressions.

I know that some people do it for binging TV shows as well. I've tried it in small bursts with both podcasts and shows and it does get less jarring after a few minutes. Ultimately I just don't think the time savings is worth altering the work that much. I would rather listen to fewer podcasts and fully take them in in real time rather than be able to listen to more by compressing them. I do understand why some people might choose the reverse though.

Where I really start pushing back is when I think of people doing it with movies. Imagine discussing the filmography of a favorite director with someone who had watched all their movies in 1.5x.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
How much ADD do people around here have?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

How much ADD do people around here have?

That’s everywhere dude. Try watching a movie with someone and count how many times they’re staring at their phone

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just don't like getting behind on shows. If I get a backlog I start trying to find time to catch up and it eats into other stuff.

Brain problems suck, don't get them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Some people just read so slow I have to speed up the audiobook. Podcasts, I don't happen to listen to any where they talk slow enough I'd feel the need to speed it up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't think it's necessarily ADD. Like, the first podcast I started listening to regularly was the Giant Bombcast, which can often last 2.5 to 3 hours long. I listened to it at normal 1x speed for months before I even knew changing speeds was an option, and that wasn't a problem. At 1.5x, I can still concentrate on all the co-hosts' voices and not really miss anything and get through it faster, so ever since then, I've been listening to it at 1.5x. That's been at least 2 years now, and it never feels weird.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don't think it's necessarily ADD. Like, the first podcast I started listening to regularly was the Giant Bombcast, which can often last 2.5 to 3 hours long. I listened to it at normal 1x speed for months before I even knew changing speeds was an option, and that wasn't a problem. At 1.5x, I can still concentrate on all the co-hosts' voices and not really miss anything and get through it faster, so ever since then, I've been listening to it at 1.5x. That's been at least 2 years now, and it never feels weird.

I’m not trying to be a dick but how is that even tolerable? People speaking at an artificially sped up tempo is so unnatural and undermines the flow conversations have.

Are people really this pressed for time?

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

I've ascended to a higher plane and listen to two different podcasts at the same time. One in each ear.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sponges posted:

I’m not trying to be a dick but how is that even tolerable? People speaking at an artificially sped up tempo is so unnatural and undermines the flow conversations have.

Are people really this pressed for time?
Have you ever tried it? Because at 2x, it becomes unnatural and intolerable, but at 1.5x it's totally fine. You're speeding it up a little but it's not like you're increasing the tempo by an insane amount or anything.

And when you listen to a podcast regularly and you get to know the sound of all the co-hosts' voices, it's really not hard to distinguish them at that speed.

I can always tell Eric from Stephen from Chris from Andrew, even at 1.5x.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Have you ever tried it? Because at 2x, it becomes unnatural and intolerable, but at 1.5x it's totally fine. You're speeding it up a little but it's not like you're increasing the tempo by an insane amount or anything.

And when you listen to a podcast regularly and you get to know the sound of all the co-hosts' voices, it's really not hard to distinguish them at that speed.

I can always tell Eric from Stephen from Chris from Andrew, even at 1.5x.

This has already been pointed out but a lot of the effectiveness of comedy is timing. Pauses. Minor things like inotation are lost when you speed things up.

To each their own and all that but this is bewildering to me

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I think WHM is hilarious and I don't feel like I'm losing vitally important comedic timing (and I have no problems telling who is speaking) :shrug: I don't do it with tv shows or movies, just podcasts. (Exception: storytelling podcasts like Levar Burton Reads, those are at normal speed) The app I use doesn't make the voices sound weird or artificial or anything like that. It just sounds like normal humans talking quickly.

I find that slow voices become way too easy for me to tune out and stop paying attention to, I'll get caught up doing a thing and realize I haven't heard anything that's been said for the last 2 minutes. Fast talking keeps my attention. I have 5-6 hours a day I spend listening at work, so it's not a lack of time thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I can't watch Law & Order reruns because they speed it up. I can't imagine doing it willingly to something I want to listen to.