Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ShredsYouSay posted:

Firmly in the panic stage at the moment...

That is the sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Jo posted:

Spent the morning adding the speech timer, integrating the demographic scoring, and adding player feedback.

https://twitter.com/JCatrambone/status/952279664071868417

Spent the evening getting the end-of-game election screen drawing. Nihilos had a great idea to solve my problem. I need to draw each state with the election results, but I don't want to hand localize fifty loving sprites, and making each state an island in a vast zero-alpha picture will righteously gently caress my atlas. However, storing a map of grey values and using that as a lookup in a shader...

It was actually ApproachingInfinity who came up with the solution, but I'm happy to take the credit.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I had to do things like....go to work and meet with friends and other terrible things yesterday so I didn't get a lot done but today I broke the game and you bet I gifed it!

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/952575734685536257

i should probably fix that...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shoehead posted:

i should probably fix that...

The thing that always gets me about your games is that you manage to break things in GIF-worthy ways. "Oh hey, state didn't reset correctly" is like, a daily occurrence. But "state didn't reset and now I'm a DBZ character playing dodgeball in the middle of my ultimate transform" is somehow every bug you record.

By which I mean, of course, please never stop making games. :3:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

ShredsYouSay posted:

It was actually ApproachingInfinity who came up with the solution, but I'm happy to take the credit.

Ah! Indeed you're right. Sorry ApproachingInfinity. Though you said, "Crazy shader solution," just before that.

EDIT: Also, who made the MS Paint Jerry Seinfeld and can I steal him? (EDIT EDIT: Was made by Afal. PM'd.)

EDIT: A playable build, except most of the buttons will crash the game on the title page. :( https://www.josephcatrambone.com/games/debatesimulator/debatesimulator.jar

Jo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 15, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Starting to have the bones of a game in place. One week left to test and balance and polish, which means it's time to start on the most important phase of project development:

Old-timey slang and dad puns.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Due to popular demand, I’ll be making 60 Second History! (Making over 200 mini games was a bit too much for me.) However, I was kinda fond of the Historicats idea so I hope you’ll enjoy the timeline where normal house cats have become the dominant species. I’ll be using a mic of art styles, combining Zombieforcandy’s usual art with my lovely placeholder art that I’ve become attached to.

JonTerp posted:

Nah it was actually hilarious to watch. If anything you should lean more into the stuff you did in Super Mega. It was a hit on stream, Vinny ended up playing the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-Zhdz3e2k&t=6172s

Ok this was pretty rad. maybe I should try and get him to play my other games

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Sundae posted:

The thing that always gets me about your games is that you manage to break things in GIF-worthy ways. "Oh hey, state didn't reset correctly" is like, a daily occurrence. But "state didn't reset and now I'm a DBZ character playing dodgeball in the middle of my ultimate transform" is somehow every bug you record.

By which I mean, of course, please never stop making games. :3:

I have nothing to say to this except to post this gif

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/952611851195559938

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I've basically wasted half of the entire jam procrastinating but i'm finally gettin somewhere

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/952997329744805888

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Game of the year :birddrugs:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Floundering a bit here, so not much progress. Like last jam most of my dev time has actually been spent relearning and then enjoying mechanics and not really rounding out much of a game, sadly.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I’m all outta time and energy already, see you all next time—I look forward to the games!!

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Soundtrack for entry Clock Jammers is finished! It's bleepy bloopy NES music created in FamiTracker with the VRC6 Soundchip (Used in Japanese Castlevania 3). The songs loop so I've just exported 3 minutes of all of them.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the results, was really fun to use FamiTracker again (last time I did was in 2009 for the failed goon Megaman project) and the songs feature a good mix of moods and themes!

https://soundcloud.com/ludvigloven/sets/clock-jammers

Now we just have to make a game to go with the music. Oh god.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
:woop: Scut is doing art for Hillary, Trump, and the proctor. Last night with my last bits of energy I build the endgame score tallying. I'm probably should put the electoral college in, along with the number of electoral votes, but I'm really loving tired of retyping all fifty states.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I have a stupid question: How do I actually join the jam with my team from last year? Clicking join takes me to the team creation form. I've typed in my old Team name ("Team Team"), but that just created another team with the same name.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Myron posted:

I have a stupid question: How do I actually join the jam with my team from last year? Clicking join takes me to the team creation form. I've typed in my old Team name ("Team Team"), but that just created another team with the same name.
You gotta make a "new" team each jam. This'll be improved when the website is revamped.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Ah, I thought I had already seen teams with several games to them. Guess not. Thanks.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i had way too much tech debt for snail knight, so instead i'm making a game about selling wares to east and west berliners right after the fall of the berlin wall. have an intro video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0YQUApyuI

it's gonna be like Lemonade Stand, except you gear your sales towards whether more east or west berliners will be coming by your stall. you start each day buying perishables (food, newspapers) and seeing the weather forecast/events happening that day. after the day is over, you can then buy non-perishable "legit" goods from a dude's trunk before the next day starts.

also i started on this two days ago, so i'm essentially making a brand new game in one week. wish me luck :shepface:

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 17, 2018

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Four games down, up to 60ish to go. What's that? No, YOU bit off more than you can chew!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

i had way too much tech debt for snail knight, so instead i'm making a game about selling wares to east and west berliners right after the fall of the berlin wall. have an intro video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0YQUApyuI

it's gonna be like Lemonade Stand, except you gear your sales towards whether more east or west berliners will be coming by your stall. you start each day buying perishables (food, newspapers) and seeing the weather forecast/events happening that day. after the day is over, you can then buy non-perishable "legit" goods from a dude's trunk before the next day starts.

also i started on this two days ago, so i'm essentially making a brand new game in one week. wish me luck :shepface:

That's too bad, snail knight looked fun. I'm loving the Apple II gs font though.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Myron posted:

That's too bad, snail knight looked fun. I'm loving the Apple II gs font though.

i feel like i'm not the first person to look at box2d and think "that'll be easy to implement, what can go wrong" because that's precisely what happened. i got up to a level builder, the snail started getting stuck on overlapping statics when the logic was sound, and progress kinda' halted. thankfully i put everything i did on GitHub and tend to have a weird process where each time i start over my base code gets better, so one day i'll go back and see if i can give that snail some justice.

i only wish i had learned my lesson about a few days in, because there was also no way i was getting art and sound done in time.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Well my game is done I think. Feeling pretty good about it.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

TomR posted:

Well my game is done I think. Feeling pretty good about it.

Our game is extremely not done. Why did I do this while I have a new baby and it's also flu season

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I don't know what to tell you brother. I underscoped and got my wife to help so while the game is done everything else around here is falling apart. :v:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I managed to nail the scope but ended up making a complete turd. :downs:. Time to shine this fucker.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Ended up in the hospital for 24h thanks to a gall bladder attack. Still going to try to finish my game in time.

But not tonight. Tonight is recovery time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Got all my AI in today. Towards the end it got a bit weird so sometimes instead of your teammates getting in the way they just stand in front of you but I figure that's acceptable. Also the code forcing the thrower to avoid his teammates before throwing can sometimes force him to walk to the upper and lower extremes before throwing, but whatever. There's more important things to fix, like DOUBLE POSSESSION, were two players can appear to be holding the ball but one is a phantom! Which unfortunately doesn't spawn a second ball, it just glitches out your arm and makes you not able to pick things up ever again ever.

Now it's time to put in the entire meta-layer, like ending the match or scoring or pausing o r... sound. poo poo there is a lot left to do.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Overscoped, but we talked it over and we feel pretty good about finishing something playable. It's still cubes and spheres bumping into each other atm, thoug, not much to show.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Here is a video of my game. I can't think of anything meaningful to change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWryFh8aPg

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hmm, no internet until at least midday Sunday. Submission will be interesting.

Also getting visible bags under my eyes. Gamedev is fun. I'm ready for sleeptime.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
gently caress you Jo for making me spend my weekend drawing homages to HellWorld

Thermal Anomaly
Jul 1, 2017

by Cyrano4747
The programming for Clock Jammers is really coming along and I should have everything finished just in time to meet the contest deadline. It's a time-travel-themed XCOM clone and the most complicated game jam project I've worked on so far:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
My country's government just shut down. Can we claim this turmoil and get an extension on the deadline?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

ALFbrot posted:

My country's government just shut down. Can we claim this turmoil and get an extension on the deadline?

Does the government subsidize your ability to make ~video games~?

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 21, 2018

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

JonTerp posted:

Does the government subsidize your ability to made ~video games~?

Yes

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

JonTerp posted:

Does the government subsidize your ability to made ~video games~?

This is my truest dream

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I've been totally blowing it on keeping up with SA threads since like November but you can be sure I've hashed out enough time to play your funky submissions :thumbsup:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ALFbrot posted:

I had a silly thought as I read that this morning: what if your country's government was my country's government?

Lucky me that's not the case. The very informative historically accurate game I'm working on assures me of it:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If anybody's lookin' to blaze the Oregon Trail, I believe I'm feature complete:

Which is good, 'cause I'm booked this weekend (and every weekend until maybe March).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Scut posted:

gently caress you Jo for making me spend my weekend drawing homages to HellWorld

gently caress you, too, for making me think you'd ghosted on me after a week. <3

• Locked thread