Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Apparently Intel's detection software thinks my system is not vulnerable. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Thermopyle posted:

Unless you're running a high traffic database server you will never notice the difference.

im guessing i shouldnt upgrade update my haswell pc tho

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 16, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thermopyle posted:

Unless you're running a high traffic database server you will never notice the difference.

Like I said something is really hosed up on the ‘fixed’ firmware on my HP - it’s easily noticeable using it side by side with a non-updated model.

Personally I’d wait a while before upgrading any Haswell or Broadwell systems (assuming firmware is even available, I doubt it will be on an older ASUS).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Urgh updated the firmware on my work laptop (an HP 820 G2 so Broadwell generation) and performance has completely gone to poo poo.

I hope this isn’t the new post-Spectre norm for older systems because man it sucks.

I'm the IT guy for an entire fleet of Elitebook G2s and haven't seen anything yet. Does it have an SSD?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah came with some Liteon SSD which still appears to be working fine.

We have loads of them spare so I think I'll upgrade another couple and see how they go.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

im guessing i shouldnt upgrade update my haswell pc tho

I'm not sure why you wouldnt, unless it's a database server. And even then, the performance hit is probably worth taking unless it's not connected to the internet.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm not sure why you wouldnt, unless it's a database server. And even then, the performance hit is probably worth taking unless it's not connected to the internet.

https://www.fin24.com/Tech/News/new-spectre-and-meltdown-patches-cause-reboot-issues-20180115

unless im misreading it ill be patching my way into crash city! (potentially)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.fin24.com/Tech/News/new-spectre-and-meltdown-patches-cause-reboot-issues-20180115

unless im misreading it ill be patching my way into crash city! (potentially)

Some guy I sold a Haswell gaming PC to, which has been fine for two years, called me up yesterday saying it crashed a dozen times for no reason in the last couple days... hmmmmm

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Zero VGS posted:

Some guy I sold a Haswell gaming PC to, which has been fine for two years, called me up yesterday saying it crashed a dozen times for no reason in the last couple days... hmmmmm

Yeah they're saying that the haswell patch will need a re-patch to unfuck the original patch

rip. now i just need to decide what i want to replace that mobo/proc with. ryzen 1200 or maybe a pentium 4560...hmhmhmhmhmmhmhhmhmh

but i guess thats a different thread somewhere. idk, i dont really post in this sub forum outside of this and the monitor thread :shrug:

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Is this eventually gonna gently caress over sandy bridge?
Now I'm gonna be paranoid about selling this old laptop that it's gonna get an intel fuckup and I'll get blamed for it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've been seeing stuff about the new 8th gen Kaby Lake processors throttling at not-that-high temps, is that actually a thing? Should I be looking at laptops with a 7th gen processor instead?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pablo Gigante posted:

I've been seeing stuff about the new 8th gen Kaby Lake processors throttling at not-that-high temps, is that actually a thing? Should I be looking at laptops with a 7th gen processor instead?

As someone who has spent several weeks obsessively shopping for laptops, there hasn't been a good laptop made since 2015, and a 2015 laptop is getting long in the tooth. Welcome to laptop hell.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

shovelbum posted:

As someone who has spent several weeks obsessively shopping for laptops, there hasn't been a good laptop made since 2015, and a 2015 laptop is getting long in the tooth. Welcome to laptop hell.

gently caress. I’m still rocking a 2013 MBP Retina 13” but I want a bigger screen and uh, not Mac anymore

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pablo Gigante posted:

i played video games on my 8th gen i7 8550u for like 8 hrs straight

its in an xps 13 that has basically no cooling in it

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Hello friends, I need some advice:

I am buying a new laptop and want to get one with some pretty decent gaming power. Yes, I know I should buy a desktop and yes I already have one. I have a job and commute and lifestyle that does not fit a desktop into the picture well, but I like gaming when I can on the train or from hookah or whatever.

I don't need super ultra top tier headshot graphics. I play most games at like normal quality and don't need vr or fancy stuff. I do play games like Path of Exile which chews up and spits out onboard graphics of my current older laptop.

Budget probably around $2k unless there is a really good reason to go higher. Battery life and power are probably the two most important things for me; I'm a big dude so the weight of the laptop doesn't really matter.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I went for the Yoga 720 13.3" with an i5 8250u and 8GB, now on to obsessively refreshing the order status page for the next few days.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Omniblivion posted:

I don't need super ultra top tier headshot graphics. I play most games at like normal quality and don't need vr or fancy stuff. I do play games like Path of Exile which chews up and spits out onboard graphics of my current older laptop.

Budget probably around $2k unless there is a really good reason to go higher. Battery life and power are probably the two most important things for me; I'm a big dude so the weight of the laptop doesn't really matter.

Battery life and gaming power don't really exist in the same machine. That said, the xps 15 has a whopping 97wh battery and a gtx 1050 in it, which is a little anemic if you're trying to play Battlefield 1 on Ultra or something, but should do fine with low/medium settings at 1080p for most games. It'll definitely handle Path of Exile just fine.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Battery life and gaming power don't really exist in the same machine. That said, the xps 15 has a whopping 97wh battery and a gtx 1050 in it, which is a little anemic if you're trying to play Battlefield 1 on Ultra or something, but should do fine with low/medium settings at 1080p for most games. It'll definitely handle Path of Exile just fine.

There is also the Aero 15 which has a 94whr battery and a GTX 1060 which will be a mix of Ultra and High on BF1 @ 1080p.

A little less svelte than the XPS15, however, with much less of that premium-wow factor.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

There is also the Aero 15 which has a 94whr battery and a GTX 1060 which will be a mix of Ultra and High on BF1 @ 1080p.

A little less svelte than the XPS15, however, with much less of that premium-wow factor.

I wasn't that impressed with the aero 15, the build is a little suspect and the touchpad is janky as gently caress. Apparently the new 15x is much better, and has a 1070 max-q as well.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I wasn't that impressed with the aero 15, the build is a little suspect and the touchpad is janky as gently caress. Apparently the new 15x is much better, and has a 1070 max-q as well.

The touchpad (ELAN) is balls until you hack Windows Precision drivers, which is an easy fix but shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

Build quality thing is hard to guage. The body is mostly metal (aluminum) with the exception of the lid of the back of the screen, though the hinge is made from plastic and is probably a weak spot. The trim of the laptop (the surface that runs along the outside edge) is also plastic I believe.

The 15x, as far as I know, has the same everything except for the 1070MQ. It's more powerful for sure, and the thermal solution in the Aero 15/X body handles the extra heat fine as long as you have a good paste job (not guaranteed on stock config).

One thing to watch out for on the Aero 15 is light bleed. The bottom bezel of the screen is fastened quite tight and often creates bleed on the bottom edge; it's consistent.

With that said, if you're looking for thin+powerful+big battery, you're basically looking at the XPS15 or the Aero 15 at the moment. Razer Blade maybe, as I recall reading that it had good battery life.

There is supposed to be an Aorus X3 model (14", 1060, 7700HQ) with a bigger battery (76whr?) but I've never seen it in the wild.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
So the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series Gaming Laptop has been working pretty great, but it does run a little hot when doing anything graphically intense. I haven't gotten any errors or crashes, so I think everything is fine, but I was thinking about getting a cooling pad or laptop stand. Are either of these at all worth it, and does anyone have any good recommendations?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dissss posted:

Like I said something is really hosed up on the ‘fixed’ firmware on my HP - it’s easily noticeable using it side by side with a non-updated model.

Personally I’d wait a while before upgrading any Haswell or Broadwell systems (assuming firmware is even available, I doubt it will be on an older ASUS).

Me too. My 15" Surface Book 2 seems laggy as hell after the firmware update. I thought I was going mad.

Placebo or what?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got a HP Envy 17-k that i'm trying to get into. The feet seem abnormally hard to get off and i'm getting to the point where if I pull any harder i'm worried i'm going to break something. Is there a trick to it?

Why do HP do this "disassemble the whole thing" game with me?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Me too. My 15" Surface Book 2 seems laggy as hell after the firmware update. I thought I was going mad.

Placebo or what?

I got pissed off enough to reimage it (didn’t help) then swap in another SSD and reimage again.

Second time sped it up a huge amount but I’m fairly sure it’s because it didn’t install the January Windows Update yet (it’s approved in WSUS but nothing seems to be installing it at the moment).

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
two questions:

1) are egpu There Yet
2) should i just wait for the new batch of ryzen lappies at this point

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Given the prices of everything in desktopworld, I'm now seriously considering taking out the WLAN card from my 2012/13 Asus VivoBook's mini-PCIe slot and using a $50 "Beast" expansion to connect a 2013-vintage video card to the laptop so I can maybe play some PC games while waiting for the buttcoin bubble to burst. Rather than spend $900+ on a machine I would, realistically speaking, just use for games in addition to another $1000-1200 for a new ultrabook, I mean.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

AverySpecialfriend posted:

two questions:

1) are egpu There Yet
2) should i just wait for the new batch of ryzen lappies at this point

1) Sort of. You *will* get better performance out of an eGPU, but the cost of an eGPU enclosure is an additional $300+ on top of buying a GPU in this crypto-hosed market, and Thunderbolt 3 is only 4 lanes of PCIe, which does not allow your desktop-grade GPU to stretch its legs all the way.
2) Entirely up to you. What are you hoping to get out of a Ryzen APU laptop that you might not get out of an Intel or Intel + Nvidia?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Or the KBL-G equipped notebooks coming out! XPS 15 2-in-1 and HP Spectre x360 15 are on the way.

(Please with Freesync 2 panels c'mon OEMs)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I thought the 15X was basically the same build and body but with the 1070 Max-Q instead of the 1060?

Either way it's pretty much impossible to find at the moment. Everywhere I've checked (definitely in Canada but most places in the US I've searched don't have it) has been sold out with no estimate of a restock for some time. Probably going to go for the regular 15 soon since I desparately need a new laptop and after trying one in a store, the touchpad doesn't seem too bad (especially if I can install Precision drivers instead of the Elan ones).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've been looking for a new gadget in the ultrabook/tablet category. Newegg popped up a $400 HP ProBook X360, which despite being heavily marked down still seemed over priced for what is is. Any opinions on that one? Or on the more bargain tablet like Onda Obook11? Amazon and Newegg have a bunch of sub $200 tablets by companies ive never heard of.

My use case is using a stylus to hand write notes on pdfs and word docs + Slack/Discord/Webbrowsing. I started looking at the more expensive things because I have a bunch of low end games on steam that seem to run on everything. Preferably something on the bigger side with a good display.

This is to replace a dying Asus N550J from 2013 which I got when I was constantly traveling. Its definitely been overkill for what I use it for but its physically falling apart and the battery doesn't hold much anymore.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

I've been looking for a new gadget in the ultrabook/tablet category. Newegg popped up a $400 HP ProBook X360, which despite being heavily marked down still seemed over priced for what is is. Any opinions on that one? Or on the more bargain tablet like Onda Obook11? Amazon and Newegg have a bunch of sub $200 tablets by companies ive never heard of.

My use case is using a stylus to hand write notes on pdfs and word docs + Slack/Discord/Webbrowsing. I started looking at the more expensive things because I have a bunch of low end games on steam that seem to run on everything. Preferably something on the bigger side with a good display.

This is to replace a dying Asus N550J from 2013 which I got when I was constantly traveling. Its definitely been overkill for what I use it for but its physically falling apart and the battery doesn't hold much anymore.

You've basically described a samsung pro except for the steam part

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-Tou...ndows+10+tablet

I know you said on the bigger side, but consider the following:
Someone gave me a giftcared for Amazon, and I picked this up as a gamble to see if it would be any good. For $70 bucks, you get:

Quad Core Atom CPU (1.66 Ghz Turbo)
2GB LV-DDR3
8 Inch 1920x1200 HD IPS Touchscreen
32GB SSD with MicroSD Slot (supports 128GB-256gb SDXC)
Bluetooth
802.11n
Micro-HDMI and Micro USB(Both charging and USB Host)

I've been pretty impressed, its a GREAT mobile netbook, and comes with FULL Windows 10 Home, with Creators Update so you can have the Linux subsystem.
Pros:
Really REALLY tiny, 10 point touch screen, high resolution decent video playback
USB Rechargeable, so you can charge it with a Phone charger or a mobile battery pack.
Comes with a Micro-USB to USB adapter for the MicroUSB port
Screen is very crisp and bright

Cons:
Internal speakers are poor quality
Wifi Antenna has poor reception
Its not the fastest thing out there, but fast enough for 1080 HD video, light gaming, and minimal multitasking
Its super thin. Its so thin, you can bend it.

If you have some more cash to spend, these are REALLY awesome:
https://www.amazon.com/LANRUO-Pocke...-4&keywords=GPD

Quad Core Intel Atom (2.5 Ghz Turbo)
8GB LV-DDR3
128GB SSD
USB 3.0 Ports and USB-C Ports
7 Inch 1920 x 1200 touchscreen
Aluminum Body
Pocket Size

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 18, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For $70 you've sold me on the first one. If it's that flexible I'm probably going to find a sturdy case but $70 is replace when broken territory

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol god drat the nerd in me wants that second one so bad. For no reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That first one is actually tempting as hell lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

For $70 you've sold me on the first one. If it's that flexible I'm probably going to find a sturdy case but $70 is replace when broken territory

I mean, it's just a shoddy budget metal enclosure they used. Just make sure you keep it in a case or something padded.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

Same, and the only thing I can imagine myself doing on it is running a GBC emulator and playing Pokemon Blue.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Those with a Wacom pen would be great. My Toshiba Encode 2 Write died and a 13" laptop is too large to take notes.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Statutory Ape posted:

The description is good as hell, they are so passionate about their product and I believe it. Fashionable and appropriate for my delicate womanly fingers while I sip a latte and chat with my girlfriends, how much better can it get

AverySpecialfriend fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

AverySpecialfriend posted:

The description is good as hell, they are so passionate about their product and I believe it. Fashionable and appropriate for my delicate womanly fingers while I sip a latte and chat with my girlfriends, how much better can it get

<me> i want the poo poo out of that
<friend> yeah drat that's tiny
<me> unfortunately i cant think of a single use for it
<friend> easy to bring to the shitter
<me> lol
<friend> sitting at a conspicuous part of a starbucks/dunkin so people see your sweet rear end tiny computer
<me> tell the cute barista how its small but really good and effective because im actually using a remote desktop connecftion to my computer i built at home and,

pretty much what a friend of mine said in a group chat