Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

After beating Pillars of Eternity I'm kinda gonna try and beat other WRPGs that have been sitting in my backlog for too long. Tides of Numenara or Wasteland 2? And anything I should know before starting em?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know you guys have moved on but if anyone has anymore examples of people being weird about what is and isn't 'anime' please post them. Because 'Disgaea isn't anime' loving amazing and sounds like the seventh panel on an expanding brain meme.

Also if anyone has any tips to making Battle Chasers: Nightwar easier I'd appreciate it, because I just got Kronen but I don't know how to stop those robots from damaging me when I kill them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A Sometimes Food posted:

After beating Pillars of Eternity I'm kinda gonna try and beat other WRPGs that have been sitting in my backlog for too long. Tides of Numenara or Wasteland 2? And anything I should know before starting em?
Tides and know its actually okay to screw up and die because in some cases sidequests can't start unless you get killed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A Sometimes Food posted:

Tides' gameplay is a bit more awkward, but the writing and story is great.

Wasteland 2 feels like a relic of the 80s, for better or worse. It's obtuse as hell and expect to run into trouble your first few runs before you get an idea of the kind of party you want to make.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Terra is better with green because of her magical heritage and because the party already has blonde floozy who can cast magic from the get-go.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'll only accept Terra with green hair as well. :colbert:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Green hair for life.

Also the PC (mobile) versions of the game use Amano art for portraits and that just comes off as even weirder compared to the sprites.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Tides and know its actually okay to screw up and die because in some cases sidequests can't start unless you get killed.

Mokinokaro posted:

Tides' gameplay is a bit more awkward, but the writing and story is great.

Wasteland 2 feels like a relic of the 80s, for better or worse. It's obtuse as hell and expect to run into trouble your first few runs before you get an idea of the kind of party you want to make.

Tides it is then, thanks. Now to see if I can beat it before Monster Hunter drops.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't all of Square's classic sprite art done by one woman who never got proper credit for a long time? Or was that just some clickbait thing I'm half remembering?

FF6 is still a beautiful loving game in the year of our Luigi 2018.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
tides is such an ugly loving game with the worst combat

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i cant believe it had been more than 10 years and there havent been a game that was as fun of a battle system as mana khemia

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it was a good system. lydie/suelle brings back 6-person battle with 3attack/3helpers!

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
If you took all of Gust's best ideas and put them together you'd have one of the best RPGs ever.

Instead those ideas are spread out across like 5 different games with almost 0 overlap.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

i cant believe it had been more than 10 years and there havent been a game that was as fun of a battle system as mana khemia

I guess that one was okay, but I preferred Ar tonelico 2's system. It needs a current gen port so all the lag is removed and it becomes even better, though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright.
Can somebody tell me what the hell is going on with the merchant minigame from Romancing SaGa 3 because I can't find any information about it online.
I swear I keep walking face first into the dumbest poo poo that game has to offer.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I want to play an SRPG. Does anyone have any interesting recommendations?

I've played the usual suspects of FFT/Tactics Ogre/every Fire Emblem/Disgaea/Valkyria Chronicles (and xcom if it counts). I have access to most platforms aside from like the ps3, including emulation.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Andrast posted:

I've played the usual suspects of FFT/Tactics Ogre/every Fire Emblem/Disgaea (and xcom if it counts). I have access to most platforms aside from like the ps3, including emulation.

I had a lot of fun with Battle Brothers recently. I remember really enjoying Bahamut Lagoon for Super Famicom too if you want a nice old-school tactical JRPG.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Andrast posted:

I've played the usual suspects of FFT/Tactics Ogre/every Fire Emblem/Disgaea (and xcom if it counts). I have access to most platforms aside from like the ps3, including emulation.

Gladius for the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox is one of my favorite SRPGs. Really fun setting, cool units etc.

Devil Survivor 1+2 for the DS and remade on the 3DS are good as well if you ever wanted to play a Megaten SRPG.

Codename: Steam for 3DS is a Valkyria alike sort of game featuring steampunk American history characters. I enjoyed it though the reception here was pretty mixed. They did speed up the atrociously slow enemy turn speed that a lot of people cited as the worst issue in a patch.

Battle for Wesnoth is a free open source SRPG for PC. Has a fuckton of user scenarios and plays like a cross between Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem. Good but the RNG is pretty brutal and its definitely not for everyone.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Andrast posted:

I've played the usual suspects of FFT/Tactics Ogre/every Fire Emblem/Disgaea/Valkyria Chronicles (and xcom if it counts). I have access to most platforms aside from like the ps3, including emulation.

What about Sukoden Tactics?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Seconding Gladius. One of my favorite games of the PS2 era.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Front Mission 3

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh also Chroma Squad is a fun little Steam RPG where you play as a group of actors making a low budget Power Rangers style show and then actual aliens invade and you just sort of roll with it.

Its cute and pretty fun.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Stella Glow.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Super Robot Taisen/Wars.

Fantasy Maiden Wars.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

SRW:V was absolutely worth the price, what a great game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Andrast posted:

Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wasn't all of Square's classic sprite art done by one woman who never got proper credit for a long time? Or was that just some clickbait thing I'm half remembering?

FF6 is still a beautiful loving game in the year of our Luigi 2018.

trashy clickbait. most of ff's old sprite work was tetsuya nomura :v:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Terper posted:

Super Robot Taisen/Wars.

Fantasy Maiden Wars.

Liver Disaster posted:

V is pretty much the perfect gateway SRW. The plot is fun and light and shows off all the shows in a good light, the gameplay is simple and straightforward, it has a mix of fairly modern and interesting old robots (though not as much on the current side as Z2), it's definitely standalone so you don't need to know five other games or read pages of summary to get into it and the story ends satisfyingly, and the official English translation is actually decent (albeit you have to import it from Singapore). If you're robo-curious I recommend it without reservation.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 17, 2018

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

Worth the price of entry just to watch an android girl tell the Cross Ange protagonist that 'no, man, you are absolutely a creepy fucker'

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a point where coldsteel picks up really? I'm on the first class trip and it's just been kind of boring.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it will continue to have filler scenarios until the end of the game, but things do pick up around chapter 3 I believe

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The first field study is still pretty slow since it's an introduction to the whole basic idea. Every other field study goes to more interesting places with a personal connection to one or two of your party members.

MMania
May 7, 2008

This is the first time I've seen anyone mention this little gem, which is a drat shame. It is possibly even more anime than the Ar Tonelico games, so stay the hell away if that's a turnoff.

I don't think I can really recommend any of the Luminous Arc games, they're a bit too slow and cludgy, but they really did a great job with its spiritual successor.

Love your name, btw.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Thanks!
SG is really anime, the soundtrack is fantastic and the characters are fun so it's worth checking out. The pacing isn't awful like Luminous Arc, I feel like I should play LA on an emulator just to turn the speed way up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a point where coldsteel picks up really? I'm on the first class trip and it's just been kind of boring.

In the first game not really, it barely has a plot and when you get to the final dungeon you will be like really this is it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There are no peaceful field trips.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's what the game is, if you don't like it now you won't like it later

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The latter half of the game and Cold Steel 2. Take your time and enjoy the world. Also, talk to NPCs to learn about all the brewing class war troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

yggdra union. fantasy maiden wars.