Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Oilers are back baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

tinstaach posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidGuralnick/status/953461333860679681

The only other Wings fan I work with thinks that they should buy at the deadline and push for a playoff spot, and if it doesn't work out they can just fire Holland and wait for THE CAPTAIN to come home.

Must be nice to be that optimistic.

p much sums up Detroit's season

that or a renaissance painting

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does Detroit have a lot to sell off to rebuild if they do want to?

the arena?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I finished Take Your Eye Off the Puck and it wasn't what I thought it'd be. It had a few bits and pieces of curtain pulling, but was a guided overview.

Also writers please stop doing Game of Thrones references

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

heeheex2 posted:

Oilers are back baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1XfGTO2vh8

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

N: Islanders/Rangers

V: It was the best of times, it was the blurts of times.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

i am the bird posted:

Detroit is surprisingly fun to watch in spite of being a dumpster fire. The kids are fun. Nyquist and Tatar still celebrate every goal like it’s a triple OT stanley cup winner. Mike Green and Trevor Daley decided to not even pretend to play defense anymore, which leads to crazy poo poo happening all the time. Mrazek and Howard are both scrambling to prove their trade value. Good times. I’m only sad when they show Zetterberg, who is apparently content to just slowly suffocate until he retires.

Compare and contrast with Montreal.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Schlesische posted:

Compare and contrast with Montreal.

https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/953296934349008897

Drouin and AGally on the third line centred by JDLR :lol::shepicide:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

yellowcar posted:

https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/953296934349008897

Drouin and AGally on the third line centred by JDLR :lol::shepicide:

how long until this team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention and we can start the actual "has Bergevin been fired yet?" discussion?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Schlesische posted:

how long until this team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention and we can start the actual "has Bergevin been fired yet?" discussion?

I mean of the 7 canadian teams they are 5th awesomest.

WPG
CGY
TOR
EDM
MTL
VAN
OTT

What the gently caress are you even doing Ottawa

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not an expert but Byron-Plekanec-de la Rose-Froese does not seem like a very good set of centers to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

and we can start the actual "has Bergevin been fired yet?" discussion?

You say that like this stopped at some point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/953602461851439105

some of these combos, woof :stare:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://theathletic.com/213968/2018/01/17/mirtle-the-maple-leafs-are-blowing-games-late-but-thats-a-symptom-not-the-problem/

So I don't have access to the full article but it's pretty easy to gather that the leafs are for real In Trouble.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Hand Knit posted:

https://theathletic.com/213968/2018/01/17/mirtle-the-maple-leafs-are-blowing-games-late-but-thats-a-symptom-not-the-problem/

So I don't have access to the full article but it's pretty easy to gather that the leafs are for real In Trouble.

:cough: The crux of the point seems to be that the bad players are bad and the good players are bad-ish.

quote:

But there are issues all over if you look at the boxcar stats since Dec. 1:

quote:

They're leaning way too hard on their goalie — who has posted a .932 save percentage since late October, tops in league among regular starters. They're not fun to watch. And fixing all of this won't be much fun, either.

Babcock should start by trying something new.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 17, 2018

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thank you for posting that but posting paywalled articles is verboten because the forums (and SAS in particular) has gotten in for real trouble for it before. Summaries/paraphrases are fine, but copy-pastes are not.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Leafs can play like garbage for the rest of the year and still make the playoffs because the Atlantic division sucks poo poo and I'm about 99% confident that any Atlantic team that isn't already in a playoff spot isn't going to make it

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Leafs can play like garbage for the rest of the year and still make the playoffs because the Atlantic division sucks poo poo

Yeah there's a Pollyanna take on this that the Leafs position is so secure so Babcock is using the whole thing as live fire practice and once the playoffs roll around he's gonna unleash the offence again.

But that's very Pollyanna.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Leafs are playing real bad recently but I do get frustrated by poo poo like this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFlintor/status/953461799927496705

Last time I checked they were 2nd last in powerplay opportunities. I vaguely recall them being top 5 last season. What the hell happened? It's mostly a symptom of a team that used to forecheck aggressively and skate into the zone effortlessly for 60 minutes turning into whatever this loving dump and chase garbage Babcock has them playing now, sure. But you can't deny that it could also be a vast league-wide conspiracy to disadvantage the greatest Canadian franchise in favour of sun belt Bettman favourites.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah there's a Pollyanna take on this that the Leafs position is so secure so Babcock is using the whole thing as live fire practice and once the playoffs roll around he's gonna unleash the offence again.

But that's very Pollyanna.

I don’t know about the deliberate strategy but this general circumstance was standard during Babcock’s tenure with Detroit. Late December through February, in particular, were seemingly always mediocre to awful but the team usually picked it back up in March. But also I’d maybe expect the same thing of a lot of good teams if they’re feeling somewhat comfortable in the standings.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Elliotte Friedman had this to say

quote:

Vancouver’s going pretty crazy with the Ken Holland rumours, but, if he wanted to go there, wouldn’t he want to report directly to the owner? That’s his setup now.

I realize we are foredoomed to wander through purgatory free from god's light, but surely we have been punished enough? I seek not absolution, just a glimmer of forgiveness. What have we done ye mighty? Tell us so that we might be whole once more.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

this owns

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

this owns

The crosscheck was lovely but it was probably worth it for all the Leafs fans tears.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hello hello

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
That second hit by Edmundson isn't even a penalty.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/953646460746289153

Did they want the bottom stripe to look like a girdle? Because...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

"Ovie, where's your cummerbund?"

"It fell in the toilet."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Martytoof posted:

Hello hello

:golfclap:

It's time for the Blackhawks to rebuild, except they can't. They will be a walking corpse basically until 2023 when 27 million comes off the books. Even then they'll be stuck with Seabrook's contract for another year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That jersey loving blows.

Also it's a Russian flag representing Washington, DC. COINCIDENCE?! :smugdon:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Do not mock these uniforms. The red stripe is a somber symbol of the money Ted Leonsis lost on the team. There would be images of money filling the space if he had ever made a penny of profit on the Caps.

e: The arm stripes represent each lockout Ted strongly supported.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://streamable.com/ilx99

🤔

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Do not mock these uniforms. The red stripe is a somber symbol of the money Ted Leonsis lost on the team. There would be images of money filling the space if he had ever made a penny of profit on the Caps.

I always love how owners say they are losing money or haven't made any profit on the team like that matters in the slightest (even though he's made lots of money from them). A sports franchise's entire value is in its resale, if it turns a profit that's just a nice bonus. He paid $85M for the caps in 1999, they're worth $625M according to Forbes (and if sold would probably go for well over $800M given current market rates). Even if Lenosis had lost $20M a year every year he owned the team, he'd still make a cool $160M if he sold the team for exactly what Forbes estimates it's worth today.

Pro sports teams are the best racket in the world right now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I used to think Leonsis was a cool owner because he seemed personable but he's just a greedy rear end in a top hat like every other mega-rich person.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I used to think Leonsis was a cool owner because he seemed personable but he's just a greedy rear end in a top hat like every other mega-rich person.

Corporate greed greased over with a smiling face and a 'down to earth' account will be the end of us. Just look at Richard Branson and Elon Musk piping us into the once unimaginable future of privatized space exploration.

VVVVV
Serious question, what is the glass banging thing all about? Do they think they're distracting the opposing player or something?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/953610403887673344

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
when the time comes the sports team owners shall be the first against the wall

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nail Rat posted:

:golfclap:

It's time for the Blackhawks to rebuild, except they can't. They will be a walking corpse basically until 2023 when 27 million comes off the books. Even then they'll be stuck with Seabrook's contract for another year.

i remain eternally optimistic seabrook can be traded to a stupid team in need of Playoff Grit

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

i remain eternally optimistic seabrook can be traded to a stupid team in need of Playoff Grit

Both the Canucks and Oilers want a "top 4" defenceman. It'll get done no question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

*sniff*
Yep... he's one of us
*sniff*

https://twitter.com/RTaub_/status/953659392016224259

• Locked thread