Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Prairie Bus posted:

Yeah, this makes the most sense. Like someone said upthread, you put that many people in a room and Barry will have told one of them he was the Flash already.

DeVoe is bad. They want a chess master who’s calculated every play, but that’s not interesting if we never see the evil plan get developed or put into action in the first place. So we just get a lot of, “Haha! That was my plan all along!” Arrow had the same problem last season, but at least Prometheus had a manic charisma that DeVoe’s actors just haven’t demonstrated.

Prometheus had a simple plan of just ruining Oliver. You knew what it was up front and we knew why. With DeVoe we just know he has something planned for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

I normally give a lot of leeway to TV shows in how they present trial practice and procedure, but this was exceptionally stupid even by those already reduced standards.

Yeah, and even on top of the court stuff, I usually give this show in general a lot of leeway with the contrived cheesy soap opera stuff, assuming that it is the price I pay for cool stuff and fan service and good jokes. But there's wasn't enough of that to make up for the dumb garbage.

The few good parts: Cisco and Harry berating Caitlin about not transforming (then slipping her into her leather jacket since that's her KF costume lol), the parallel speech split between the judge and Captain Singh, the Speed Time bit, Ralph's speech to Joe. But the villain of the week, while having a unique hook, didn't really pay off, and there wasn't enough other good stuff to balance out the train wreck of the court plot.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So the meta from this episode causes everyone he walks past to pass out from radiation poisoning...

Did he never look behind him until that moment when he bumped into the girl?

E: Just finished watching it. Trash episode. Reading the highlight moments in the above post makes me think it isn't the worst episode like I at first thought but it's close. Even some of those aren't great. I thought the judge half of the ending speech was especially bad.

Lol "Henry Allen was here."

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 17, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I decided to skip this episode because my Real Dumb Plot senses were tingling, as they always do when a superhero is on trial (hi Oliver).

Good to know I was on point.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
Probably the most unbelievable part of this show, and that's saying something, is a widow saying in court "no my husband totally wanted me to hook up with this young attractive man and have him satisfy my needs, you know in bed, wink wink, Clifford was 100% okay with it and happy for us". And the jury believes it.

... Okay no the most unbelievable part is the idea that Barry's identity is a secret to anyone, but that was a close second.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I honestly thought DeVoe's plan was to steal Barry's body, but now he's got a new body, so who knows?

It's also weird we only saw a tiny bit of Barry's defense, so it made it look like he wasn't being defended at all. Iris should have just decked Mrs DeVoe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Both Arrow and Flash have had court stuff in them this season and I don't think either has been well-received, which is funny because Marc Guggenheim is an executive producer (?) on these shows and I'm pretty sure he was a lawyer for about 10 years before he became a writer.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Dracorion posted:

Probably the most unbelievable part of this show, and that's saying something, is a widow saying in court "no my husband totally wanted me to hook up with this young attractive man and have him satisfy my needs, you know in bed, wink wink, Clifford was 100% okay with it and happy for us". And the jury believes it.

... Okay no the most unbelievable part is the idea that Barry's identity is a secret to anyone, but that was a close second.

What made this dumb is that any reasonably experienced trial attorney would’ve backed the wife into a corner first. Or at least tried to.

“You and your husband were together for X years right?”
“Yes.”
“And you were monogamous during that time?”
“Yes.”
“Then how do you explain THIS”

This isn’t a high level concept, it’s basic trial technique. Cross 101.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Both Arrow and Flash have had court stuff in them this season and I don't think either has been well-received, which is funny because Marc Guggenheim is an executive producer (?) on these shows and I'm pretty sure he was a lawyer for about 10 years before he became a writer.

Actual Lawyer stuff is tedious, boring and terrible. From the arrest to trial, everything is basically on the low end of TV law. It's bad. To do it accurately would be oring since it would end up becoming a plot that would take years to resolve. But :shrug: Flash is now the bottom rung of DCCW

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
There's a pretty wide range of entertaining television between "accurate trial coverage" and what they did. I honestly would have traded green grunting man for a better trial and a second interaction with body swap Devoux. Like, Cecille didn't even press the explanation of Damian... Even if Devoux knew about the relationship, Damian could still have been jealous and killed him, with or without wife's knowledge.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 17, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

8one6 posted:

So can Black Lightning catch Barry's lightning bolts like Zoom did, or would his goto move be to just absorb the energy?

Does it matter that it's a speedforce lightning bolt?

Can Black Lightning get faster by absorbing Barry's speed lightning?

All these questions and more answered on CW's Black Lightning

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Meanwhile, Ralph's getting a proper costume next week. It looks... eh.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So approximately what percentage of the Iron Heights inmates population has seen Barry without his mask or otherwise is aware he is the Flash? Gotta be upwards of 70% yeah?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Might have been the worst episode of the Arrowverse yet. Even worse than the bees episode.

That said, I kinda like the guy playing the new DeVoe. He's not particularly good, but he definitely gives off an uncomfortable vibe. Plus his voice is great. Put Barry in jail and let's just go with Wally for the rest of this poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It at least looks inspired by the Elongated Man costume

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
This episode has convinced me that I'm done watching the Flash. I heard Black Lightning was good so I guess that and Legends of Tomorrow will have to keep me in superheroism.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Piell posted:

This episode has convinced me that I'm done watching the Flash. I heard Black Lightning was good so I guess that and Legends of Tomorrow will have to keep me in superheroism.
I stopped like five episodes ago, I just kept posting.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When Iris stood up and said "Barry Allen is...." and ad break, I thought to myself "if they end this episode without revealing that he's the Flash, then I might not watch Flash anymore" which was like a mini toxx clause for myself I think. Then they had another chance later in the episode when he gets the meta alert and tries to just.... leave his own trial which I feel like is pretty faux pas even if it is technically allowed. So I might not watch the Flash anymore.

This was a really bad episode to come back from a hiatus to as well. Can deal with a mediocre/bad episode in the middle of a season but when it's the first exposure after awhile it's a bit much. That Amunet stuff in the mid season finale was loving poo poo as well, compare that to the first mid season finale or even the second one where Zoom just kicked Barry's rear end all over town and it's pretty lame. The show is basically being carried by the actors being charming and enjoyable and Cisco/Wells/Joe and this season Ralph being fun usually but this episode proved even they can't do the alchemy required to turn this heavy, heavy lead into anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was really weird that everyone was constantly referring to Barry are "Bartholomew Henry Allen."

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lol this episode's central conflict was very bad

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

flash believes his honor is more important than his responsibility to save all the central city people from dying all the darn time

he's a loving vigilante who locked up people for years without due process and who knowingly harbored known fugitives and also murdered dudes from time to time. conducted illegal experimentation. way, way abused his position in the police department for personal gain

but ok yeah he doesn't want to be a criminal

darn it Bazza why can't you just be cool for once in your loving life

edit: furthermore fallout should have become a superhero, he seems like a nice dude, you could call him Radioactive Man

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dracorion posted:

Yeah, it was bizarre how she said that and then they were all like "oh poo poo, she had a totally reasonable explanation for it, we're screwed now" like as though the jury wouldn't immediately be thinking "oh, so she and her boyfriend killed her husband and framed Barry just like he said".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, it was bizarre how she said that and then they were all like "oh poo poo, she had a totally reasonable explanation for it, we're screwed now" like as though the jury wouldn't immediately be thinking "oh, so she and her boyfriend killed her husband and framed Barry just like he said".

doesn't explain the physical evidence, of course, but it doesn't even look like they tried to suggest it was planted. Just that it was there and is clearly inviolable proof that Barry did it without any other explanation

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Can we just have an Elongated Man show instead?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Laterite posted:

Can we just have an Elongated Man show instead?

Such a show would be a detective show, and I think a weekly mystery detective show would be one of the last things I would entrust to the hands of these writers.

(I will be proven wrong when the show debuts and is awesome, then proven right when it hits season 2)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The lawyer dude's starting speech going on about how hard it will be to believe a cop committed a crime came of pretty tone deaf.

And the drama of Barry goes to jail is kind of muted by him getting to just walk out anytime if he chooses. Oh he doesn't want to become a furgitive? Leave a hologram/time remnant/Wells using that face changing pen behind. :effort:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avalerion posted:

The lawyer dude's starting speech going on about how hard it will be to believe a cop committed a crime came of pretty tone deaf.

And the drama of Barry goes to jail is kind of muted by him getting to just walk out anytime if he chooses. Oh he doesn't want to become a furgitive? Leave a hologram/time remnant/Wells using that face changing pen behind. :effort:

Central City cops are the the worlds best cops.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Phenotype posted:

So, everyone's basically dead in the next ten or twenty years, right? Maybe not Barry because he has magic healing powers, but everyone else on the Flash Team that was involved is going to come down with some kind of weird cancer for sure, and Cisco is definitely not having any children. I mean, if just seeing the guy is enough to make people pass out and show symptoms, what about staring him in the face when he's all glowy or having him shoot you in the chest with a radiation laser? The idea of radiation poisoning makes my skin crawl, and I hate it when shows throw a Radioactive Man villain in there without a second thought. "Hey Caitlin, we're about to hand you a death sentence, and it will probably be slow and unpleasant" should have made Killer Frost pop out right away.

Killer Frost has a healing factor. But honestly, they all have SUPER-SCIENCE or whatever. Like in a world where Cisco and Caitlin can do all this wacky stuff with science and curing metas and merging people and re-writing DNA, I have a hard time believing that damaged DNA is suddenly irreparable. Like they're going to stabilize and cure Fallout's ability to emit radiation randomly, but they can't fix Cisco's balls after some radiation exposure? And that's ignoring the literal magic they have access to through Team Arrow's contacts and the literal archive of advanced alien knowledge that Kara has.

bbf2 posted:

Also I just thought of something else. Isn't Barry the person who technically owns Star Labs and the property its on? (I'm pretty sure in the S2 premiere Eobard posthumously handed him the legal rights as a somewhat ironic gesture) Shouldn't the government seize that property now that he's a convicted murderer?

The government doesn't just randomly take all your stuff when you're convicted of a crime (unless that stuff is related to the crime). Technically the chain of events would be Marlieze suing Barry for the wrongful death of Clifford, winning a civil judgment, and then seizing all the assets. In a sane world that would take years, but I guess on the Flash it could happen tomorrow. And honestly that'd be interesting story-wise. Like actually Barry just got convicted so they could take control of STAR Labs which has a Whatsit that allows DeVoe to mind-control everyone or something.

Sir Potato posted:

Might have been the worst episode of the Arrowverse yet. Even worse than the bees episode.

It had some really cool moments (Barry & Iris talking in a frozen world, the dueling speeches by the Judge and Singh) but didn't really string them together well. I feel like a lot of shows sort of hit that point where they're just trying to tie moments together rather than actually be good or tell a coherent and good story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I didn't like the dueling speeches because the judge was so overwrought.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Digby's speech to Joe was the best part of the episode and was the only part that carried any emotion weight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tree Dude posted:

E: Just finished watching it. Trash episode. Reading the highlight moments in the above post makes me think it isn't the worst episode like I at first thought but it's close. Even some of those aren't great. I thought the judge half of the ending speech was especially bad.

Yeah I was scraping for the "best" moments of the episode but they were still relative to the rest of the episode, and also still only amounted to like 5 minutes of screen time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Burning_Monk posted:

Digby's speech to Joe was the best part of the episode and was the only part that carried any emotion weight.

Credit where credit's due, that was really good.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Burning_Monk posted:

Dibny. :eng101:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Burning_Monk posted:

It was pretty good... but let's not get off track here. This was a terrible episode.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Thank you, I knew it was wrong but didn't know why.

XboxPants posted:

It was pretty good... but let's not get off track here. This was a terrible episode.

Just pointing out the petal growing out of the turd.

@HorribleFlashChat... Is it common for murder suspects to be allow to leave the court right before they are sentence? "oh you got a text? and it's really really important? Well Mr. Murderer since this trial isn't going well for you... sure take a little break. Go outside, take care of a few things. Definitely don't get on a bus/planer/train out of the city though!" The whole time I was just shaking my head in amazement.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

That was a frustratingly dumb episode of this show. It's never been an especially clever show, but good god drat was that dumb. My favorite part was the judge saying Barry was the worse criminal he's ever seen. Like, what? At worst, he's a one-time murderer who hired the worst attorney.

Yeah came here to post exactly that.
Don't they put cops out of general population in prisons?
Also I would be pissed if I was the Sisko - he was as much responsible for saving the day as "run in a circle man" but no recognition. He was standing like 10 feet away. But I guess even he doesn't care as he forgot about his part in the event within 5 seconds and just congratulated Barry.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I mean the episode wasn't great but on the whole I feel the season has been good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean the episode wasn't great but on the whole I feel the season has been good.

Better than previous seasons maybe, but by no means good. The current season of Arrow is good. This is below average at least

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Like, couldn't him an Joe have left together with Joe saying police emergency so it doesn't look like Barry is just a douche? Couldn't Barry have done that two places at once trick as Flash and just said Barry was being framed by an evil man who wanted to destroy the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The problem with having a super-intelligent person as your foe is making it seem like he is super intelligent. All the Thinker has done so far is show that Team Flash is dumb as gently caress (and the show refuses to admit it like Legends of Tomorrow has).