Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gave this a shot despite a complete lack of familiarity with the source material, very glad I did. The pilot was great and I'm definitely on board for the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

What I took away from this episode: for the love of GOD give a brotha a chance to say something heroic

That your car? It was nice.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, what a great pilot.

I'll give it 'til...hmm, end of season 2?...before CW finds some way to muck it up. :v:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That was a really strong pilot. Can't wait for them to roll it into the rest of the CWVerse.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Slamhound posted:

That was a really strong pilot. Can't wait for them to roll it into the rest of the CWVerse.

Hell no, the rest of the CWVerse would only hold it back.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Hell no, the rest of the CWVerse would only hold it back.

It would work as an alternate Earth deal. Stick to the crossovers, like Supergirl.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Slamhound posted:

It would work as an alternate Earth deal. Stick to the crossovers, like Supergirl.

They’ve said it’s an alternate Earth from the other shows, but the line about superheroes in other cities seems like they’re leaving the door open for it actually being on Earth-1 after all.

I do agree though, holy poo poo this is head and shoulders above the rest of the Arrowverse so far. Let’s hope it can maintain this level of quality throughout it’s run this year.

Also :lol: Roland Martin cameo out of nowhere. How can you tell they shot this in Atlanta? :v:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a bit worried that they blew their load by going immediately to GANG MEMBERS INVADE THE SCHOOL as a third act.

Like, how do you escalate from there?

But hell, that was great.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Man this was an insanely good first episode. I hope they keep it up. It's a bit early to say, but I honestly hope they keep Black Lightning as a separate earth and out of crossovers, because it seems to have a different and better tone than the other superhero shows.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

gently caress yeah

I look forward to whatever they choose to do with this show, keeping it separate, or joining it to the Arrowverse. Either way it will be great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BSam posted:

gently caress yeah

I look forward to whatever they choose to do with this show, keeping it separate, or joining it to the Arrowverse. Either way it will be great.

I'm all in.

I'm scared to check Reddit.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Loved the pilot! Felt different then the other CW comic shows which is very refreshing.

Definitely be watching rest of the season

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
This was a great palate cleanser after watching that retarded Flash episode.

Pierce is a loving badass and I love the overarching social injustice issues. It's gonna piss the right wingers off something fierce.

One thing I don't get--how did Pierce become Black Lightning in the first place? We never quite got the origin story explanation other than "he used to be a superhero, then hung up the costume".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alter Ego posted:

This was a great palate cleanser after watching that retarded Flash episode.

Pierce is a loving badass and I love the overarching social injustice issues. It's gonna piss the right wingers off something fierce.

One thing I don't get--how did Pierce become Black Lightning in the first place? We never quite got the origin story explanation other than "he used to be a superhero, then hung up the costume".

In the comics, he was a metahuman at birth and turned out to be stupidly powerful. How they're going to handle it here, I dunno.

Loved that he was wearing his original costume in the video of the convenience store robbery. :allears:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'd imagine we'll get a flashback origin episode at some point.

I liked the pilot, I might need to watch it again because I was a bit tired during it. It's definitely setting a tone of "Hey fuckers, we're going to show you the everyday racism faced by POC in this country, so strap in", which at this point is long overdue. Of course, that probably means that a good portion of the audience who should watch it to educate themselves simply won't.

Definitely a good pilot though, the action looked well done and the cast and characters are both great so far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

In the comics, he was a metahuman at birth and turned out to be stupidly powerful. How they're going to handle it here, I dunno.

Loved that he was wearing his original costume in the video of the convenience store robbery. :allears:

That didn't look like his original costume. It was missing the high collar and the afro.

nine-gear crow posted:

They’ve said it’s an alternate Earth from the other shows, but the line about superheroes in other cities seems like they’re leaving the door open for it actually being on Earth-1 after all.

It's definitely a weird way to leave it open, but the Flash writers have already shrugged their shoulders at continuity and just stopped caring. It'd also be a strange sort of apropos that one of the first heroes in Earth-1 was black so everyone else in the country/world simply didn't give a gently caress.

An alternative is if they start folding Milestone stuff into this and keep it separate from Earth-1

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really liked the news commentary peppered throughout the episode. "Why is it when they get someone in a costume, they're a superhero, yes when we get one, they're a vigilante?" was pretty good.

poo poo got pretty intense with both police encounters too, and I wasn't expecting someone to ever be used as a human shield on a CW show (well, outside of that middle east combat zone show).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

irlZaphod posted:

I liked the pilot, I might need to watch it again because I was a bit tired during it. It's definitely setting a tone of "Hey fuckers, we're going to show you the everyday racism faced by POC in this country, so strap in", which at this point is long overdue. Of course, that probably means that a good portion of the audience who should watch it to educate themselves simply won't.

This is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to watching it after a bit of reading up on the show. I'm pretty sure I could count the number of non-white people who I've met in any way that live in my hometown in the 25 years or so I've lived here on one hand. I'd probably even have fingers to spare. There were some African immigrants in Cork (one of Ireland's bigger cities) when I lived there for nearly a decade, but even there they were a tiny minority and I mostly encountered them in passing as taxi drivers or what have you. Racism is just not a big thing here, because most immigrants tend to be Eastern European (calling that prejudicial problem nationalism seems weird so I'm not sure what you'd call it, but that definitely exists on the other hand) so while I would hope I'm not racist I honestly have no frame of reference to know and watching this might give me at least a tiny bit more education on the matter in case it ever does become relevant.

That said, I got tired of both Arrow and Flash after 3 seasons and 2 seasons respectively because I found the main characters self absorbed melodrama too much in both cases, so I give it two seasons of this before I grow tired of it for a similar reason as well and just hope I'm wrong and that CW manages to make a more likable and tolerable protagonist for once.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 17, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I really liked the news commentary peppered throughout the episode. "Why is it when they get someone in a costume, they're a superhero, yes when we get one, they're a vigilante?" was pretty good.

poo poo got pretty intense with both police encounters too, and I wasn't expecting someone to ever be used as a human shield on a CW show (well, outside of that middle east combat zone show).

I swear Arrow's done the human shield thing before on at least one occasion.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ruddiger posted:

He used a guy as a human shield despite wearing bullet proof armor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

tsob posted:

Racism is just not a big thing here, because most immigrants tend to be Eastern European (calling that prejudicial problem nationalism seems weird so I'm not sure what you'd call it, but that definitely exists on the other hand) so while I would hope I'm not racist I honestly have no frame of reference to know and watching this might give me at least a tiny bit more education on the matter in case it ever does become relevant.

It's still bigotry and racism, you just tend to get racists hiding behind "well technically..." defenses so people play games with how they define things (and in that time the racist has successfully deflected and made their escape). Ethnocentrism, anti-semitism, et cetera, it's all racism with a sheet over it to make it seem a bit more acceptable or at least something that needs to be attacked separately from racism.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I really liked the pilot. I felt like they did a great job with the family dynamic.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
The BL suit is great but I'd prefer it if Pierce just used that three-piece suit for the rest of the season, thank you very much.

Really, really good start. Am super hyped for this now.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I've quit watching all the other DC shows, but I hope we get one good year of this before it falls to poo poo. I like almost everything so far. He isn't a new hero, but rather a retired one. The reality mirrors our own and he's wise to think before he acts. I also like all of the cast especially the youngest daughter (no perv), but man that costume is rear end. He looks like he's got two puffy stickers on his chest. I can appreciate what they were going for but it just does not work for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I dont know posted:

He used a guy as a human shield despite wearing bullet proof armor.

Yeah. That was p. cool.

Liked the pilot episode a ton and I have high hopes for it. While the action at the end was fantastic, I actually found myself actually engaged with non-superhero stuff in this show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This isn't a full 22-episode season, right? That'll probably work to the show's favor as well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I just realized that Dexter's dad is still training his son to murder criminals. He's a bad influence.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
One of my favorite parts is how the family isn't bitching at each other for drama through the whole episode.

I mean, the younger daughter gets all bitchy at her sister after the club, but the next morning they all get along and she's telling her dad she loves him. Jefferson gets on his older daughter's case about picking fights with gang members, but later on all three of them are having a happy family not together.

I feel like if this was any other CW show the family would be at each other's throats all the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alter Ego posted:

Does it matter? Is it relevant to the story they're trying to tell?

irlZaphod posted:

I'd imagine we'll get a flashback origin episode at some point.
I really hope we don't. Origin stories are poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We probably don't need to know how he started, but it would inform viewers of why he started. Particularly with his specific beef with Tobias Whale and their history. Especially with how Lightning was presumed dead by Whale.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

We probably don't need to know how he started, but it would inform viewers of why he started. Particularly with his specific beef with Tobias Whale and their history. Especially with how Lightning was presumed dead by Whale.

Well, his specific beef was stated in this show. Tobias killed his dad by stuffing his articles down his throat. I'm assuming, and wikipedia backs me up, that Jefferson's dad was a crime reporter. I have no idea why he was presumed dead.

Spoilering, because even though it's kind of throw-away line, but really informs the antagonism Tobias Whale has.

E: Or apparently spoilers don't matter.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 18, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

We got that. Tobias killed his newspaper reporter father for an origin story, then he started taking out his anger on all levels of the criminals in town which got on Tobias's tits because they were working for him. Then there's a shootout that leaves Lightning bleeding nearly to death in a bathtub, and since he didn't show up anymore Tobias assumed he was dead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Then there's a shootout that leaves Lightning bleeding nearly to death in a bathtub, and since he didn't show up anymore Tobias assumed he was dead.

Yeah I mostly inferred that myself from the flashback, but Tobias seemed so certain I thought it might be something other thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

We got that. Tobias killed his newspaper reporter father for an origin story, then he started taking out his anger on all levels of the criminals in town which got on Tobias's tits because they were working for him. Then there's a shootout that leaves Lightning bleeding nearly to death in a bathtub, and since he didn't show up anymore Tobias assumed he was dead.

Right, I forgot about that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think they *could* flesh it out more if they want to, but I don't think it's necessary and I think it would be easy to overdo it like Arrow.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the pilot; I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to where it goes. Thought the second half was stronger than the first.

Pierce being an older family man gives the role a bit more gravitas than the other CW show leads; even Stephen Amell, as much as I like the guy, and as seriously as he portrays Oliver, still comes off as a lightweight in comparison.

Kinda funny but it took me a second to realize the younger daughter was in a Disney show a few years back that my daughter was obsessed with.

I hate to say it, but, with all respect due to Mike Colter, this is what the Luke Cage show should have been.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Guy protecting his daughters from no-good punks.

This is such a dad-show.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just watched the pilot. It kicked rear end and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

tsob posted:

This is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to watching it after a bit of reading up on the show. I'm pretty sure I could count the number of non-white people who I've met in any way that live in my hometown in the 25 years or so I've lived here on one hand. I'd probably even have fingers to spare. There were some African immigrants in Cork (one of Ireland's bigger cities) when I lived there for nearly a decade, but even there they were a tiny minority and I mostly encountered them in passing as taxi drivers or what have you. Racism is just not a big thing here, because most immigrants tend to be Eastern European (calling that prejudicial problem nationalism seems weird so I'm not sure what you'd call it, but that definitely exists on the other hand) so while I would hope I'm not racist I honestly have no frame of reference to know and watching this might give me at least a tiny bit more education on the matter in case it ever does become relevant.
I don't want to derail the thread, but I do feel that Ireland has a bit of a growing problem with racists (as much of Europe does) because of the refugee crisis and just the general influx of immigrants over the past 20 years or so. It's largely a different kind of racism to what Black Lightning is going to deal with though, judging by the pilot.

BrianWilly posted:

This isn't a full 22-episode season, right? That'll probably work to the show's favor as well.
I think it's 13 episodes, it's going to be sharing the timeslot with Legends of Tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sir Potato posted:

The BL suit is great but I'd prefer it if Pierce just used that three-piece suit for the rest of the season, thank you very much.

Really, really good start. Am super hyped for this now.

That scene where he pulled the taser cords off then electrocuted the cops was :stare:

Seriously, though, I know someone mentioned it already but that scene where Pierce gets pulled out of his car, thrown onto the hood of the cop car, cuffed, and then presented to a witness with absolutely no explanation was REALLY powerful. I actually felt a little angry, especially when that racist rear end in a top hat cop smiled at him.

Tiggum posted:

Does it matter? Is it relevant to the story they're trying to tell?

Uh, yes? Black Lightning isn't exactly a DC A-lister, so a lot of people watching are going to have no idea how he came to be.

• Locked thread