Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
No new episodes this week because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gaunab posted:

No new episodes this week because

I think their air schedule is tied to South Park's this season.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shneak posted:

Garol in the sex shop :laffo:

Ilana has been killing it this season so far. This episode was a perfect mix of her being too insane to be real but the bathroom scene with Lincoln was genuinely good down-to-earth acting.

I thought I recognized her.

I never thought I'd see an ep where I thought Ilana was too over the top but this one was a little bit there for me. Abbadab was adorable as usual.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Animated trip!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
While I've only tripped on the beach, NYC seems like it would be cool to do it in since it's so busy.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I was about to say "Wanda Sykes is so great on this show" but that doesn't look good at all :(

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Jesus this episode went to so many places and I loved all of them.

RIP cat

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Abbi's freakout is so much better on the second watching sinceyou know what's happening.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Abbi's freakout is so much better on the second watching sinceyou know what's happening.
What's happening?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Watching this episode very stoned was both good and bad.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

What's happening?

She's hearing the cat die.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I LOVED Peri Gilpin as Abbi's mom. There were a lot of little things in how she was sorta like her daughter but still her own person. Also loved the "Furry little bear" bit with Bevvers and her enthusiasm at the sex shop.

And yeah she wore The Dress well.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I wish I could smoke a blunt with my mom

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Watching this episode very stoned was both good and bad.

Mushrooms was unlike any TV episode I've ever seen. I felt like I needed to be high during it but also afraid to ever trip out again?

Ru killed it in this week's episode.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Shneak posted:

Mushrooms was unlike any TV episode I've ever seen. I felt like I needed to be high during it but also afraid to ever trip out again?

Ru killed it in this week's episode.

I spent the animated portion with a friend going, "Uhhh... what the gently caress..." and then when it came back to reality I was laughing my rear end off.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

That was the coolest and funniest story about depression.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just binged some episodes and really didn't like Mushrooms at all. The cartoon part went on way too long for me, and while I get that a lot of the episode was meant to be jarring and kind of unpleasant, that didn't actually make me enjoy it. I've also had bad experiences when I've gotten high though, so maybe that's just me.

Edit: Just finished Abbi's Mom and RuPaul really is incredible on this show.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 22, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I can’t be bothered with 99% of shows drug/dream interpretations and Mushrooms wasn’t in the 1% for me. The one they did in s2 of Abbie being high was more fun from memory.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I enjoyed Mushrooms. I thought it was pretty accurate to the whole tripping in a public space feeling. When they smoked to balance the comedown to seem more normal, and immediately regretted it was especially relatable.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I couldn’t handle the part with the suckers during the trip. That was too much.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I can’t be bothered with 99% of shows drug/dream interpretations and Mushrooms wasn’t in the 1% for me. The one they did in s2 of Abbie being high was more fun from memory.

That one is my favorite episode of Broad City of all time: Abbi's destructive trip to Whole Foods, the Bingo Bronson visions (and that Mr. Hankey-esque voice!), throwing the manuka honey at that lady's leg, Ilana tracking wasted Abbi through the city, Ilana's pot-filled concoction, Ilana and Jamie in the different sexy nurse costumes (implying Ilana probably had both of them laying around), Jamie's froyo freakout...

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
That Trump montage killed me. Premature shut for the politics talk; you know what this show is so don't act surprised.

Might want to change the thread title to cum kween.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
This was one of my least favorite episodes. I’m ok with the message but I feel like the jokes got lost.

Also, Botox is not that bad. Filler hurts like a bitch, though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I feel like this season has been a real step down in quality. The first episode was decent, but after that I just haven't found it nearly as funny as previous seasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Excellent episode; Florida was a nice change of pace and scenery.

Fran Drescher out of nowhere!

I love how the guns got progressively bigger at the old folks home.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That was pretty great---bonus points for the Publix sub inclusion even though it was just incidental in the haul as opposed to given specific reverence. Might well be my favorite episode this season so far.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“I have to go piss. HARD.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I feel like this season has been a real step down in quality. The first episode was decent, but after that I just haven't found it nearly as funny as previous seasons.
I still think that the middle of Season 3 is the low point. All the same, I don't find this season to be as consistently and raucously funny, and there are fewer moments that manage to be incredibly bizarre yet still relateable on some level.

Edit: Been thinking it over a bit... the best Broad City episodes are the ones where Abbi and Ilana go on misadventures through an exaggerated version of New York, which was practically the entire show up until the middle of Season 3. Outside of the season premiere, there haven't been any episodes like that so far. It's been focused more on their personal experiences and hangups.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 16, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I want a Fraiser style spinoff series about Bo Dega and her shotgun

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That Leanne song easter egg :psyboom:

Season's already over. I really enjoyed it except for the Florida/house-sitting episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn’t a huge fan of this season but the premiere and finale were especially good. The Leanne easter egg is INCREDIBLE

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there another season after this? I can't imagine this going on for much longer since Abbi and Ilana probably want to do more with their careers than just this show, sort of like Key and Peele.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

get that OUT of my face posted:

Is there another season after this? I can't imagine this going on for much longer since Abbi and Ilana probably want to do more with their careers than just this show, sort of like Key and Peele.

It was renewed for seasons 4 and 5 early last year. So at the very least we're getting one more.

But you're right, I can't imagine them keeping it going much longer. I finally caught up tonight, and it seemed to kind of lose a little bit of steam this season. And they covered some topics this season that they've been wanting to tackle since season 1, but Amy Poehler told them to hold off a few seasons.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Still dug it, it probably helped that I watched it occasionally when I was in the mood versus going in every week with hype and anticipation. Some ups, some downs. It is nice to see the girls are enjoying their success but I file a lot of it into the same lane as Transparent. As a generic white dude in 2018, I recognize that I am not the target audience and I enjoy it while not getting mad they aren't pandering to me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

^burtle posted:

As a generic white dude in 2018, I recognize that I am not the target audience and I enjoy it while not getting mad they aren't pandering to me.
I never saw Broad City as trying to pander to an audience that isn't "generic white dudes," in spite of the widespread belief from people that don't watch it that it's going for that woke comedy audience. At its best (in other words, all of the first two seasons and the beginning and end of the third season), it's like a live action comedy where wacky, cartoony things happen while they stumble around NYC.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Pandering is the wrong word, I was just trying to convey that I dig they're doing their thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wound up just stopping with a few episodes left this season. I think the first two seasons are brilliant and S3 lost a bit of steam, but I really just didn't feel it this year. Maybe it's because "woke" comedy just doesn't work for me anymore or maybe the jokes just weren't there this season and the characters/vibe have gotten stale. I guess I'd have to rewatch the old seasons to figure it out.

Also Transparent is targeted toward anyone who has ever had a dysfunctional family. It's ostensibly about LGBT issues but in reality it's about well-off self-loathing Jews bickering with each other over their inherited trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also Transparent is targeted toward anyone who has ever had a dysfunctional family. It's ostensibly about LGBT issues but in reality it's about well-off self-loathing Jews bickering with each other over their inherited trauma.

It's also definitely not a comedy, despite always being submitted for (and sometimes winning) best comedy awards.

• Locked thread