Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Regnevelc posted:

How is MSU still top 10 after getting blown out by Ohio State, going to OT with Rutgers, and losing by double digits at home to Michigan?

Because they're 16-3 with dominant wins over some pretty good teams and nobody is great this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!

pubic works project posted:

So how good is Duke transfer Jordan Tucker? Cuz he's headed to Butler!

The father is a piece of work. Someone told me he’d be transferring from Duke within a year when he initially committed.

Regnevelc posted:

How is MSU still top 10 after getting blown out by Ohio State, going to OT with Rutgers, and losing by double digits at home to Michigan?

This spicy take continues to age like a fine wine.

https://www.twitter.com/Graham_Couch/status/947234442741010433

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regnevelc posted:

they’re ~~TALENTED~~

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also name brand

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Also inertia

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Whether correctly or not, people are also giving way more credit to Ohio State and Michigan right now.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Whether correctly or not, people are also giving way more credit to Ohio State and Michigan right now.

Ohio state and Michigan are actually pretty good

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Michigan played by far their shittiest half of the season (yeah even shittier than blowing that lead to OSU, as OSU is at least a good team) and still won

If lucking your way into garbage wins against inferior teams isn't the hallmark of a good ncaa basketball team, I've been misled a lot the past 20 or so years

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
is illinois going to win a conference game this season

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
they play Wisconsin twice still

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I've been waiting literal decades for a Wisconsin team this bad

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Poque posted:

I've been waiting literal decades for a Wisconsin team this bad

Wisconsin will somehow win the conference tournament by winning every game 30-29.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It owns that they hired Bo Ryan, But Bad At Coaching

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I don't think you can fully put this on Greg Gard - although there are some issues there with nobody moving to give Happ easy passes out when he gets doubled, for example. This season, there's been no development from Charles Thomas (disappointing), Andy Van Vliet (more disappointing), and Alex Illikainen (to be expected) for front-court contributions, meaning that Ethan Happ gets paired with a 215 lb true freshman or 215 redshirt freshman for the entire game. Plus, roughly 50 backcourt minutes have been lost to injury, including the starting point guard. Now, we're throwing a true freshman point guard (that should be a 2-guard) out there for 36+ minutes a game who loves trying to draw charges while wearing a brace to help his repeated issues with a separated shoulder.

We had to pull the redshirt on a loving walk-on for minutes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Big Ten has those four solid to good teams (Purdue MSU UM OSU) and everyone else in the conference is actively bad except maybe Indiana.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Fast Luck posted:

The Big Ten has those four solid to good teams (Purdue MSU UM OSU) and everyone else in the conference is actively bad except maybe Indiana.

Maryland is decent, and Penn State is gonna steal a win from one of those top four teams. I'd put each of those above Indiana.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hmm yeah maybe. I guess I kind of wrote off Maryland after seeing how Ohio State trounced them, knowing they'd recently lost Jackson (and Bender) for the season. Also their defense is really bad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What site is that from I'd like to look up the Big 12

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Maryland is decent, and Penn State is gonna steal a win from one of those top four teams. I'd put each of those above Indiana.

Penn State lost at home to Minnesota tho

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Wasn't Minnesota like top 20 at the start of the season?

I may be and probably am completely mis-remembering this.

EDIT: Just checked myself and they were... glad I'm not going insane.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

kiimo posted:

What site is that from I'd like to look up the Big 12

I got it frmo The Athletic, I don't know if they do them for all the conferences or if it's just the Big Ten writer doing them. I looked a little bit and didn't find a Big 12 one

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

That was before half the team was injured or revealed to be sexmonsters

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Defense is for fuckin chumps imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

As blackmongoose implied, that is not the team that Penn State lost to last weekend.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh wait I think I found the source the guy uses. Never heard of this website before but drat I like it

http://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=B12

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you I'd like to use this to argue against something written recently.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yes, guys, Kansas is really a bad basketball team instead of one of the best in history. Guy sounds like he needs Twitter traffic

SEC has never been a historically great conference and Kentucky seems to do fine on title counts. Maybe it's just hard to win the NCAA tournament?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kansas has been snake bitten in getting to Final Fours a lot and lost in the opening or second round a lot but blaming that on the conference being overrated is dumb. Just because we're a bunch of chokers doesn't mean you need to bring the rest of the conference down.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

man did northwestern go down the shitter, time to fire collins, bring back carmody, and find the least gainly eastern euopeans to stumble around

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That dude wakes up on a slab every morning once lightning strikes some cunningly arranged apparatus next to it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

mastershakeman posted:

is illinois going to win a conference game this season

They're no Pittsburgh I can tell you that much.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

man did northwestern go down the shitter, time to fire collins, bring back carmody, and find the least gainly eastern euopeans to stumble around

remember when they fired carmody and then he made the tournament before northwestern did

(with a below .500 pat league team lol)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech plays in Austin tonight. They haven't won here in over 20 years. Hopefully this team fixes that.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

What did Ohio State do to become good? I remember in the preseason talk they were supposed to be near the bottom of the conference and they didn't really do much inspiring early on either. Is it pretty much 'beat who they were expected to then shocked Michigan State' while other Big 10 teams have gotten hurt/underperformed?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

rare Magic card l00k posted:

What did Ohio State do to become good? I remember in the preseason talk they were supposed to be near the bottom of the conference and they didn't really do much inspiring early on either. Is it pretty much 'beat who they were expected to then shocked Michigan State' while other Big 10 teams have gotten hurt/underperformed?

Partially. I do think they’re better than everyone initially believed, but beating Michigan State like they did is the main thing holding them up.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

FartingBedpost posted:

Partially. I do think they’re better than everyone initially believed, but beating Michigan State like they did is the main thing holding them up.

Getting back Keita Bates-Diop this year helped a lot, too. He is really loving good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The conference being butt helps but they hired a good coach and were more talented than they'd showed the last few years

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Also Jaquan Lyle left. Supposedly he was a big distraction / locker room problem.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Thad Matta checked out like 2 years ago. Having an actual coach makes a big difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thad Matta couldn’t tie his shoes, could barely stand up and had to have a special chair with like a foot of padding on the seat just to be able to slog through games.

I’ll always like the guy but he was done physically, if not mentally, a couple years ago.

The rumors I’d heard were that Lyle and Loving were difficult, Matta had no energy to do anything about it and those guys in Lyle’s class were getting out before things got even worse.

• Locked thread