Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I just bought an AMD Vega 64 GPU. Pretty cool to see that it runs well with an entirely open source graphics stack (after installing Fedora Rawhide to get the rc kernel that has AMDs dump of 150k lines of graphics stuff in it).

Less cool that I still need to install proprietary userspace blobs to get working OpenCL, and these are only supported on retrocomputing systems like RHEL 7.2 and Ubuntu LTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Athas posted:

I just bought an AMD Vega 64 GPU. Pretty cool to see that it runs well with an entirely open source graphics stack (after installing Fedora Rawhide to get the rc kernel that has AMDs dump of 150k lines of graphics stuff in it).

Less cool that I still need to install proprietary userspace blobs to get working OpenCL, and these are only supported on retrocomputing systems like RHEL 7.2 and Ubuntu LTS.

the situation with cuda is p similar. fedora 26’s gcc is too new for the latest cuda.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

skipping some number of posts to ask if fedora still is the best linux distro for studies/hobby programming/the like until apple releases a new macbook? no gentoo or arch, thanks in advance, but no hard preferences for visual shell or anything either

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

skipping some number of posts to ask if fedora still is the best linux distro for studies/hobby programming/the like until apple releases a new macbook? no gentoo or arch, thanks in advance, but no hard preferences for visual shell or anything either

CentOS in the streets, Fedora in the sheets.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s good for everyday use in my opinion. It would depend more on your hobby programming requirements... you might benefit from a wider package selection like what Ubuntu has. Or you might need to use a more long term distribution like CentOS if you need to install stuff like commercial packages.

But definitely try Fedora first and see how it feels.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

el dorito posted:

It’s good for everyday use in my opinion. It would depend more on your hobby programming requirements... you might benefit from a wider package selection like what Ubuntu has. Or you might need to use a more long term distribution like CentOS if you need to install stuff like commercial packages.

But definitely try Fedora first and see how it feels.

ive used fedora before and it was fully needs suiting, just checking if there isnt some new hot poo poo aorund. my only problem is that occasionally a thing will have a debian-based package

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

TimWinter posted:

Who do I talk to if I want an ubuntu desktop environment built around i3. I know the whole "Linux means choice" crowd particularly glom onto i3, but why can't my one choice be i3 and the rest of my choices be the standard network manager and keyboard shortcut handler.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/65083/what-kinds-of-desktop-environments-and-shells-are-available#answer-413187

Lots of great low-overhead window managers on Ubuntu, I use xubuntu myself since Unity is a resource beast and my pc cant cope, but ahh good luck with i3. Linux means choice (but not your choice)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the correct answer is: yes, fedora is still the correct choice

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

opensuse if you want to be weird

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
debian testing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes, some combination of fedora and rhel/centos is the only valid linux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
having not touched Linux in most of 2017, but having touched it a lot prior:

Ubuntu has a lot of older packages mixed with new, can cause trouble with some stuff. unity is useless as a wm so you have to install something else or go for Ubuntu Gnome or whatever

Debian stable is usually pretty coherent but far from bleeding edge. good if you want a barebones, customizable distribution though

Arch is a real pain to set up, hard to set up right, but if you have unlimited free time it’s fun to do. if your employer lets you dick around enough that you can install arch, they are a big idiot

Fedora is usually reasonably up to date and uses gods own desktop, Gnome 3. I haven’t had any trouble using vendor tool chains or what have you on fedora.

Centos is the Debian stable of fedora. it’s well supported by vendors etc but you might have trouble if you’re working on open source projects that assume everyone is on bleeding edge arch

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

debian testing
The end goal of debian testing is to drive you away from running debian testing forever.

The end goal of debian unstable is to make your PC unbootable.

Let someone else test packages.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just use Fedora

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

The best linux documentation is found on the arch wiki because they do everything the hard way.

Arch users are the perfect storm of smart, diligent and unreasonably stubborn.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
debian is an assisted living home for people brain-broken enough to enjoy role-playing an ossified soviet bureaucracy where nothing of actual value is at stake. despite all this process, some random nobody once thought he knew better than the developers of possibly the most security-critical open source project in the world and castrated the rng in openssh, blindly applying the output of a tool he did not understand. not only did this go unnoticed, this went unnoticed for something like two years. in general debian has never seen an upstream package they didn't want to pointlessly drag their dicks all over. this role-playing community also tended to attract a lot of self-styled Veteran Unix Administrators.

ubuntu is a commercialized debian derivative that tries to apply some businessy order to the bazaar-style chaos of open-source development. to this end, it follows the example of other market leaders, and dabbles in some mixture of adware and bad-faith attempts at inflicting vendor lock-in upon the wider linux community depending on the day of the week. despite appearing to provide commercial support for periodic snapshots of the cesspit that is debian unstable they actually do no such thing; most of the universe repository is "curated" by random idiots who make debian look competent. for some bizarre reason this is very commonly used on cloud servers by idiots who go purely by brand recognition, although it does serve as a useful warning sign for identifying people who don't know what the gently caress they are doing; you'll get plenty of opportunity to see server error pages from these people.

arch has a well-designed package manager and does a lot of things well. unfortunately it is a volunteer effort run by a skeleton crew. cool to play around with, if routine system upgrades suddenly inflicting a manual migration to a new major version of postgres upon you is your idea of a fun saturday afternoon.

red hat inc publishes a few variants of its core linux-based operating system product, which are used by most large organizations that rely upon linux it infrastructure to make money. red hat also employs a large chunk of the people who design and develop core linux userland infrastructure.

suse is like red hat except german. also without the "employs most of the important people in the linux world" bit. tbh i don't know much about them.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 17, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

having not touched Linux in most of 2017, but having touched it a lot prior:

Ubuntu has a lot of older packages mixed with new, can cause trouble with some stuff. unity is useless as a wm so you have to install something else or go for Ubuntu Gnome or whatever

FYI unity is gone and gnome is now the default wm as of 17.10

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

homercles posted:

The best linux documentation is found on the arch wiki because they do everything the hard way.

Arch users are the perfect storm of smart, diligent and unreasonably stubborn.

you misspelled gentoo

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

I installed 17.10 and bluetooth audio was hosed, so had to revert to 17.04.

If those cunts at Canonical can't figure out how to connect my wildly successful intel hardware to my wildly successful bose headphones, well jesus christ test your shithouse software I guess.

[e] they could connect but had massive lag, massive jitter, and massive audio loss. they thought going to 17.10 without ever testing bluetooth audio was ok

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm always very tempted to install OpenSUSE Tumbleweed because after using Arch I'm addicted to rolling release. Does anyone have any experience with it?

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

I'm always very tempted to install OpenSUSE Tumbleweed because after using Arch I'm addicted to rolling release. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I've used OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. It's fine. I didn't land on it though. I love the idea of rolling release, but at the end of the day I went with Fedora. I realized for what I'm doing, rolling release wasn't all that important.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the correct answer is: yes, fedora is still the correct choice

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

homercles posted:

I installed 17.10 and bluetooth audio was hosed, so had to revert to 17.04.

If those cunts at Canonical can't figure out how to connect my wildly successful intel hardware to my wildly successful bose headphones, well jesus christ test your shithouse software I guess.

[e] they could connect but had massive lag, massive jitter, and massive audio loss. they thought going to 17.10 without ever testing bluetooth audio was ok

seemed like i'd see this sort of thing all the time when looking at laptop compatability with lunix.

[random laptop] compatibility status: good
what still needs work: wifi non-functional, can't recover from suspend, hotkeys don't work, sound card constantly outputs a reading of the necronomicon on loop, etc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
NetBSD, for that early-mid 1990s workstation feel

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
arch is like a 2h install job

that said i never installed a full DE on arch

but it’s worth it for the best package manager

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i have fedora 25 on an old laptop and last night i was trying to upgrade to 27 and i can't. it keeps asking for some gpg key that isn't on my system

i've given up on linux at this point lmao

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had to downgrade my kernel from 4.13 to 4.10 because VirtualBox would no longer load my Windows 10 VM without hard-locking my machine

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

use KVM ya dingus

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
No.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

why? you can use virtmanager to simplify it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

i have fedora 25 on an old laptop and last night i was trying to upgrade to 27 and i can't. it keeps asking for some gpg key that isn't on my system

did you try to upgrade via 26

i upgraded a workstation that was on uhh 23 or something up through the intervening versions to 26 and that worked out fine

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Condiv posted:

why? you can use virtmanager to simplify it

For the amount of time I need to spend in Windows (for one dumb password manager), it's not worth spending another second on configuring.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sapozhnik posted:

debian has never seen an upstream package they didn't want to pointlessly drag their dicks all over.
this

quote:

ubuntu ... does serve as a useful warning sign for identifying people who don't know what the gently caress they are doing;

this x 100

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

why not just add the key yourself, they print the key on https://getfedora.org/keys/

have a look in /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/, they're all there

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Tankakern posted:

why not just add the key yourself,

Why not just use a mac and not have to bother with any of this shite on your laptop ?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but the reason it's happening is because he tries to hop over an upgrade. you'll have to add the key manually if you want to do that, since fedup doesn't support it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Tankakern posted:

but the reason it's happening is because he tries to hop over an upgrade. you'll have to add the key manually if you want to do that, since fedup doesn't support it.

The reason it's happening is because desktop linux is awful and has less testing than the server stuff.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Idk I had more trouble recently setting up a bootcamp in a mac recently that required me to go into single user mode among various terminal commands before and turning off rootless to unfuck it up.

"it just works"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Celexi posted:

"it just works"

It does, sorry you had trouble installing windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
it does until something fucks up and you have to drop into terminal like a gentoo user and boot to desktopless single user mode.