Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SoftNum posted:

"Fun to play ships"

Doesn't every ship that's been actually released play exactly the same (Plus or Minus a cargo spot)?

Also, they forgot the fun

plus I'm not sure 12fps counts as playing

e: if you wanna buy a ship pussy cow

https://i.imgur.com/Mv2CLem.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Seriously though, fire the lore people. I think twice a week lore posts since september 2012 is a little much.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

That's not a loving signature :colbert:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Raskolnikov posted:

I really enjoyed this post. It's such a well written tale of tedium and creeping despair.

I probably enjoy Batgirl’s videos more than most people. Batgirl, like Clifford, fits neatly in the Evangelist camp and while I think they’re a little, uh, “batty”, they also seem pretty guileless. I don’t understand how it’s possible for Batgirl to retain the hopes she has for the project in the face of what she’s seen and experienced. It was a little easier to understand in the prior years because her “friends” Sandi and Ben gave her privileged access and she reciprocated with softball questions and an abundance of praise.

Yet Ben seems marginalized if not gone completely, and Sandi hasn’t given a new interview in quite some time.(Wise move, really, given how many regrettable things she’s said in past interviews.) Her “friends” have shut her out every bit as sharply and unexpectedly as her NPC mission giver did in SoTG. I’d assumed maybe some distance from CIG might clear the fog but no, she_still_trusts_in_cig and believes in the game.

Depending where you stand it’s either heartbreaking or hilarious that her video ends with her still hanging on to the Cargo she scored in a half hour of planet jogging. It can’t be redeemed yet can’t be discarded, either. It’s empty, pointless, a gag gift consolation prize for her time lost to a parody of a gameplay experience, yet she’s attached to it anyway. She’s assigned the meaning and worth to it that the game failed to provide or reward and I’d not be surprised if she retains it as long as persistence will allow. It’s pretty much a symbol of her faith in the dream and like hell is she going to let anyone take that away. (At least until some server wipe does.)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

I probably enjoy Batgirl’s videos more than most people. Batgirl, like Clifford, fits neatly in the Evangelist camp and while I think they’re a little, uh, “batty”, they also seem pretty guileless. I don’t understand how it’s possible for Batgirl to retain the hopes she has for the project in the face of what she’s seen and experienced. It was a little easier to understand in the prior years because her “friends” Sandi and Ben gave her privileged access and she reciprocated with softball questions and an abundance of praise.

There's an old video of batgirl on a stream with (from memory) Michael Morlan and Wingman, they hinted at the rumours of what was really going on at Austin. This is around the time Morlan was not so subtly taking digs at CIG with his sock puppet videos after Austin lost the power struggle with LA.

There's no way she hasn't known poo poo has been hosed for years and she still investigated the possibility of getting a job there.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Thoatse posted:

A few years back someone was editing xml to put impossible guns on ships in arena commando and owning everyone and tears were flowing

Guilty as charged your honouror :devil:

To be fair though, the ships looked a lot better with oversized weapons, and they did in fact, punch wayyyyy above their weight. :)

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

AP posted:

There's an old video of batgirl on a stream with (from memory) Michael Morlan and Wingman, they hinted at the rumours of what was really going on at Austin. This is around the time Morlan was not so subtly taking digs at CIG with his sock puppet videos after Austin lost the power struggle with LA.

There's no way she hasn't known poo poo has been hosed for years and she still investigated the possibility of getting a job there.

GORF, rebuttal?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Sabreseven posted:

Guilty as charged your honouror :devil:

To be fair though, the ships looked a lot better with oversized weapons, and they did in fact, punch wayyyyy above their weight. :)

But it was free therefore you cheated. You cheater.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Was waiting for Ben to come out and was sorely disappointed

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

GORF, rebuttal?

I'm not really disagreeing with Gorf, just giving my opinion on it, it would be a pain in the arse to track down my original post about this from something like 3 years ago.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

AP posted:

It's like Douglas Adams said:

"if it comes to a choice between [doing the right thing], and on the other hand just taking the money and running, then I for one could do with the exercise"

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

AP posted:

I'm not really disagreeing with Gorf, just giving my opinion on it, it would be a pain in the arse to track down my original post about this from something like 3 years ago.

Don't worry, I know just the right person!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

Yet Ben seems marginalized if not gone completely, and Sandi hasn’t given a new interview in quite some time.(Wise move, really, given how many regrettable things she’s said in past interviews.) Her “friends” have shut her out every bit as sharply and unexpectedly as her NPC mission giver did in SoTG. I’d assumed maybe some distance from CIG might clear the fog but no, she_still_trusts_in_cig and believes in the game.

Depending where you stand it’s either heartbreaking or hilarious that her video ends with her still hanging on to the Cargo she scored in a half hour of planet jogging. It can’t be redeemed yet can’t be discarded, either. It’s empty, pointless, a gag gift consolation prize for her time lost to a parody of a gameplay experience, yet she’s attached to it anyway. She’s assigned the meaning and worth to it that the game failed to provide or reward and I’d not be surprised if she retains it as long as persistence will allow. It’s pretty much a symbol of her faith in the dream and like hell is she going to let anyone take that away. (At least until some server wipe does.)

If you have not come to the conclusion that there are not other mental illness's present then buddy do I have news for YOU.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Foo Diddley posted:

Was waiting for Ben to come out and was sorely disappointed

Didn't he get taken out in an earlier scene?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov posted:

Don't worry, I know just the right person!

:gary:

I'm sure there's gold buried among the crap in the old threads, stuff that makes more sense now.

Even old videos we missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQNueDa6QKw&t=1197s

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Dusty Lens posted:

Doesn't she get turned into a giant berry or something? Maybe I'm not remembering the movie right

Anyway, someone redo that creepy-rear end boat ride poem but with Stimpire lyrics, tia

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MilesK posted:

Seriously though, fire the lore people. I think twice a week lore posts since september 2012 is a little much.

AP posted:

Yeah I remember seeing that, and you’re right, at the time she seemed more in sync with the Austin folk. I assume once that crew was out and the flag fully rose in Santa Monica that Ben was trying to keep continuity with folks like Batgirl and the door was opened to regular contact with Sandi and occasionally Chris.

But whatever lucidity Batgirl had back then took the backseat to hope in the years after. Maybe a starry-eyed deification of Chris was part of that or maybe the fact that money just kept coming into CIG’s coffers by the truckloads offered reassurance that despite the drama in Austin, the dream was still very much alive. She had other emotional attachments during that time that gave some continuity through the turmoil, too. Her fondness for Chelsea as her Concierge liaison was very real and enduring (to Sandi’s visible annoyance during that interview that birthed “It filters from the top.”)

Her faith may have been tested during the Wingman drama but she’s nothing if not hopeful about the future for the game. She found new people to believe in (who’ve abandoned her), new hope in the game (that consistently fails her) and bought a lot more ships to fill out her hangar (though many haven’t delivered yet.)

The thing is, is CIG can avoid the hard crash and deliver the spectacular muddle, a second life in space that puts the “B.Y.O. Fun” onus on players, it’ll probably be Batgirl’s heaven even if it looks like Purgatory from the outside. Being trapped in a high fidelity / low mechanic sim will still be sweet since she’s playing as much out of her attachment to ships as anything else. I mean she turned a half hour of box retrieval into a thrill adventure and savored the sight of approach her Cutlass over a half dozen times just to drop cargo in it. That’s a pretty low threshold for meaningful gameplay but if CIG can deliver a stable version of that and fix the missions so she can earn some scratch, I think she’d be more than ready to make a second life out of crap every bit as mundane and be thrilled doing it.

She gotta believe, if you know what I mean.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 17, 2018

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Dusty Lens posted:

Yeah pretty sure Ben's shafted, Sandi has a purple face, and most of the backers are Charlies.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Pixelate posted:

Yeah pretty sure Ben's shafted, Sandi has a purple face, and most of the backers are Charlies.

Chris and Erin bobbing around burping out crytek engine code

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Bring back Versebusters, dammit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz9dEVNhqrk

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

I'm the mixed tabs and spaces warning on every module. Horrifying use of lambdas. I like how the engineer is just turning synchronous calls into asynchronous to try and get rid of a hitch. I'm sure all other Star Engine systems are cool with more than one ships spawning and initializing at the same time, vs. the one at a time it's been doing for half a decade.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

I have a stockpile of duplicate games due to Humble Monthly.

The Long Dark
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider (reboot)

I would like to give these out, with the rule that you MUST play them and do a 250 word field trip report about why they are better than Star Citizen within ONE WEEK of receiving the code, or toxx. If you're up to the task, post

and claim ONE game. First come, first served.

Note: 250 words is nothing. About 2x what I wrote here. Thread's getting stale, things need punching up a little.

You need PMs for me to send the steam codes.

E: to spice it up, the field trip needs a screenshot or two.

Sleeping Dogs is a really neat, martial arts GTA clone. Play it.

New Tomb Raider is also really a fun game.

Good on you for sharing.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

G0RF posted:

Yeah I remember seeing that, and you’re right, at the time she seemed more in sync with the Austin folk. I assume once that crew was out and the flag fully rose in Santa Monica that Ben was trying to keep continuity with folks like Batgirl and the door was opened to regular contact with Sandi and occasionally Chris.

But whatever lucidity Batgirl had back then took the backseat to hope in the years after. Maybe a starry-eyed deification of Chris was part of that or maybe the fact that money just kept coming into CIG’s coffers by the truckloads offered reassurance that despite the drama in Austin, the dream was still very much alive. She had other emotional attachments during that time that gave some continuity through the turmoil, too. Her fondness for Chelsea as her Concierge liaison was very real and enduring (to Sandi’s visible annoyance during that interview that birthed “It filters from the top.”)

Her faith may have been tested during the Wingman drama but she’s nothing if not hopeful about the future for the game. She found new people to believe in (who’ve abandoned her), new hope in the game (that consistently fails her) and bought a lot more ships to fill out her hangar (though many haven’t delivered yet.)

The thing is, is CIG can avoid the hard crash and deliver the spectacular muddle, a second life in space that puts the “B.Y.O. Fun” onus on players, it’ll probably be Batgirl’s heaven even if it looks like Purgatory from the outside. Being trapped in a high fidelity / low mechanic sim will still be sweet since she’s playing as much out of her attachment to ships as anything else. I mean she turned a half hour of box retrieval into a thrill adventure and savored the sight of approach her Cutlass over a half dozen times just to drop cargo in it. That’s a pretty low threshold for meaningful gameplay but if CIG can deliver a stable version of that and fix the missions so she can earn some scratch, I think she’d be more than ready to make a second life out of crap every bit as mundane and be thrilled doing it.

She gotta believe, if you know what I mean.

I'm starting to think Star Citizen Addicts Anonymous went with an entirely different direction than Alcoholics Anonymous.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Looking back on the Bitconnect sub a few days... Any talk saying it was a scam or even mention your faith wavering was called? FUD
Seems linked to any divergence within a scamming community.

Looks like a sneak-peak of things soon to come.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Galarox posted:

Can you imagine SC on Steam?! I reckon the salt on the forums would be adequate to supply a small country.

I could, only because Steam has zero quality control and they’d probably sell anything that would make them money.

Though I’m not sure they’d do the huge downloads, but I honestly don’t know so can’t speculate.

Going to Steam would only bring CIG more money, and would also make them look “more legitimate” to their people. However the Steam reviews would probably very quickly turn massively negative. It seems like the majority (or at least a lot of, because I have no real idea what a majority means) of gamers, who are another mostly silent faction here, don’t much like Star Citizen or what it does.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

I'm guessing that the new patcher they threw in is actually corrupting the game files particularly if it takes a fresh install to stop crashes.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

bug chasers

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
i'm edging so hard with everything going on this week

Crypto getting hosed, Skadden response coming out Friday, the regret of not getting a refund (on either) tripling every second.

Derek you're in a good place with the thread right now, if you are wrong about Friday you're fired forever

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Galarox posted:

I-It - it might have even been... A FEMALE!!!!

Haha. I approve of this unknown woman and her confidence!

You go girl!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Experience excitement like "Finding place the procedural generation hosed up" in the new NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CONTENT 42!!

Now I ain’t no smart woman, but is this sort of behavior supposed to happen with procedural generation?

It seems an awful lot like some kind of a terrain seam, but maybe the terrains are knitted together using a singular procedural generation? I’ve seen stuff like this and it’s usually associated with where height maps come together, but I’m not a game dev so y’all fill me in here on my lack of wisdom. :)

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

The Titanic posted:

It seems an awful lot like some kind of a terrain seam,

Everything in star citizen is seamless. Stop spreading FUD :colbert:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Now I ain’t no smart woman, but is this sort of behavior supposed to happen with procedural generation?

It seems an awful lot like some kind of a terrain seam, but maybe the terrains are knitted together using a singular procedural generation? I’ve seen stuff like this and it’s usually associated with where height maps come together, but I’m not a game dev so y’all fill me in here on my lack of wisdom. :)

It's hand painted procedural generation. The artist must've missed a spot.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Galarox posted:

The chances of 4.0 being released this year are Slim and None... and Slim? Well Slim is right outa town. If the Commandos are lucky they will get 3.1 this year. But don't hold your breath.

Nothing is stopping CIG from releasing a bitmap update and calling it 4.0.

Their nomenclature sort of went out the window when they proved that their version numbers do not associate with the promised content for that version.

If you don’t have the content promised for 3.0, calling what you do have 3.0 doesn’t make it 3.0. It makes it a lie and a failure. The problem they have though is that to actually make the real 3.0 (or hell, we can go back even further), would take years. And CR isn’t making more money off of years with no content from his money printing machine video game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Speaking of height maps, the best way to get height maps to line up without huge seams is to just mirror one of them so they have no choice but to seamlessly line up.

I’m sure CIG isn’t doing that though because they promised everybody procedural planets that would be part of a pipeline that would allow developers to build a new planet in like 4 minutes with a full flora and fauna and cities and NPCs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alf_pogs posted:

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLORE THE CHASM?????

Whoa hold up there bud. The last guy who did that ended up paying child support for the next 18 years of his life. Citizens don’t got time for none of that chasm exploring when there’s space jpeg to buy.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyGr-ZUYE30

I'm so glad they spent so much time on Miles Eckhart and did so much promotion of him. I mean the fidelity is really showing when your star quest giver still can't work out where the table is that he has to sit down at, so decides to just start levitating.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

It's ok legal, you have a while before next christmas.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can't believe derek broke into a really nice apartment and took photo of some stranger's dog pretending it was his own, all to discredit chris roberts. Sad!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Streetroller posted:

Looking back on the Bitconnect sub a few days... Any talk saying it was a scam or even mention your faith wavering was called? FUD
Seems linked to any divergence within a scamming community.

Looks like a sneak-peak of things soon to come.

Why are you posting this poo poo here? There is a buttcoin forum. Go there.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Omniblivion posted:

i'm edging so hard with everything going on this week

Crypto getting hosed, Skadden response coming out Friday, the regret of not getting a refund (on either) tripling every second.

Derek you're in a good place with the thread right now, if you are wrong about Friday you're fired forever

I remain confident that I am right. :grin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!