Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

I tried the VR version - the movement had me hurling in seconds
Like, literally?

I couldn't get a rift on my head so it is kind of moot--especially with my glasses. I still tried to endure enough to launch any Minecraft at all and it was a no-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Like, literally?

I couldn't get a rift on my head so it is kind of moot--especially with my glasses. I still tried to endure enough to launch any Minecraft at all and it was a no-go.

Well I stopped before i got to that stage but had to go lie down for an hour to stop the head spinning and stomach churning (or was that the other way round)
I do get Seasick (never used to) and I too wear glasses but my DK2 has lenses to use if you need glasses.

some games are no problem others give stomach churn instantly

Working one that were no problem -
I expect you to die (amazing shame its not around any more)
any vr videos,
some roller coaster apps
Elite Dangerous

Problems are :
There was one like you moved by sending out grappling hooks and pulled yourself like spiderman - Eugh!
Minecraft
EverSpace - for some reason the movement was not pleasant - but it was beta when i last tried it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I tried the VR version - the movement had me hurling in seconds

Play Vivecraft instead (despite the name it works with every PC compatible HMD). It has nicely implemented teleportation locomotion, it's very comfortable to play.

EDIT: Just realized you have a DK2! I think you need VR controllers for teleportation unfortunately.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

That's because in the Java version, passive mobs never despawn. Hostile mobs despawn once no one is nearby.

Right, but if you're not in the Nether, it's not actually loaded, and nothing despawns.

It's also why, if you go into the Nether on multiplayer, and somebody's been loving with the pigmen then left unloading those chunks, if you wander into range of them days or weeks later loading those chunks again for the first time, you're in for an asswhuppin.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is MC Bedrock multiplayer similarly constrained for view distance as Java by the load times of data for over 12 or so chunks, or do they have more efficient streaming?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

MikeJF posted:

Is MC Bedrock multiplayer similarly constrained for view distance as Java by the load times of data for over 12 or so chunks, or do they have more efficient streaming?

My understanding is the bedrock version's view distance is much, much higher.
There's not really any good reason the load times in the Java version were as garbage as they were except :notch:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

There's not really any good reason the load times in the Java version were as garbage as they were except :notch:

Adding on to this, it would be litreally faster to redo the whole game from scratch than trying to undo the spagetti code that is minecraft.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blasphemeral posted:

I know this is the case for rendering view, but does this apply to multiplayer view distance where it's constrained by loading rather than rendering performance?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I know this is the case for rendering view, but does this apply to multiplayer view distance where it's constrained by loading rather than rendering performance?

The bedrock version has both better rendering and loading. It was designed using better languages, better frameworks, by better developers. Rendering is way more efficient for a lot of reasons, and so is loading. Blocks hold less garbage data, the world is encoded with logical data structures, uses threading better, etc etc etc. Obviously a lot of this is inference because we can't just decompile and look at the code of the bedrock version like we can with java, but the bedrock version on a poo poo computer can run circles around java minecraft on a beast computer.

But even if you can't look at the code of the bedrock version, you can look at any of the millions of minecraft clones that perform infinitely better by just using good design strategies. A lot of people blame Java (and it's definitely a big factor), but it's really just building things with performance in mind. Minecraft was built to just cram out proof of concept ideas by a mediocre programmer. For a simple example, in earlier version of java minecraft (and maybe still, I'm not sure), every leaf block polled every block around in in the leaf decay radius every tick to check if there was a log nearby. Which might not say very much to someone who isn't a programmer but it's just comically bad design that even a relatively novice programmer shouldn't make.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Minecraft mechanics question that I should know by now but never really was sure: If I have armor that’s damaged in durability (like almost broken, red bar), does this indicate that it will protect me worse? Or is the protection rating of armor the same as when it’s 100% new?

Trying to decide if I should use my armor up or discard it when it’s half broken if this means it’s not protecting me as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Minecraft mechanics question that I should know by now but never really was sure: If I have armor that’s damaged in durability (like almost broken, red bar), does this indicate that it will protect me worse? Or is the protection rating of armor the same as when it’s 100% new?

Trying to decide if I should use my armor up or discard it when it’s half broken if this means it’s not protecting me as well.

I believe it's still going to protect you to the same degree regardless of how damaged it is. The level of protection is represented by the number of armour icons you see, near your health/hunger bars.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Armor protects you the same right up until it fully breaks, then it's gone.

This used to not be true. Durability affected defense. Turns out it was a lovely system no one liked because you'd be better off throwing away your diamond armor while it was still at more than half durability because it protected less than a fresh iron set would.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Armor protects you the same right up until it fully breaks, then it's gone.

This used to not be true. Durability affected defense. Turns out it was a lovely system no one liked because you'd be better off throwing away your diamond armor while it was still at more than half durability because it protected less than a fresh iron set would.

I preferred the old system, at least on pvp enabled servers, I liked how people got worn down over time and people had stockpiles of iron armor to re-equip themselves back into the fight.

I don't much like the new system, where everything is nearly unbreakable ultra enchanted that takes ages of exp grinding to acquire and pvp turns into 10 minute immortal slugfists of a quarter of a heart scratches that get instantly regenerated.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 17, 2018

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Taffer posted:

The bedrock version has both better rendering and loading. It was designed using better languages, better frameworks, by better developers. Rendering is way more efficient for a lot of reasons, and so is loading. Blocks hold less garbage data, the world is encoded with logical data structures, uses threading better, etc etc etc. Obviously a lot of this is inference because we can't just decompile and look at the code of the bedrock version like we can with java, but the bedrock version on a poo poo computer can run circles around java minecraft on a beast computer.

But even if you can't look at the code of the bedrock version, you can look at any of the millions of minecraft clones that perform infinitely better by just using good design strategies. A lot of people blame Java (and it's definitely a big factor), but it's really just building things with performance in mind. Minecraft was built to just cram out proof of concept ideas by a mediocre programmer. For a simple example, in earlier version of java minecraft (and maybe still, I'm not sure), every leaf block polled every block around in in the leaf decay radius every tick to check if there was a log nearby. Which might not say very much to someone who isn't a programmer but it's just comically bad design that even a relatively novice programmer shouldn't make.

They're cheating a bit - maybe a lot - for performance, it's not all down to better code. Better Together/Bedrock only updates blocks within 4 chunks radius of the player. In Java edition different kinds of updates happen at a couple of different distances, but iirc blocks are guaranteed to get updated on an 8 chunk radius from the player.

This video does a good breakdown of this and other significant differences between the versions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz3p3UhU9Vc

Something else pointed out in the video that may be a performance hack or just a bug is that Redstone signals only updates blocks 10 times per second, and there are no 0-tick updates for any blocks.

The Better Together versions do run really nicely, and people have been complaining about the quality of the Java edition's code for years, but the idea that it wasn't coded with performance in mind is nonsense. You can write lovely spaghetti code that is optimized for performance, and optimizing for performance often involves tradeoffs in terms of readability and reusability. I was running Minecraft on a single core Athlon with 1 gig of RAM and a 5 year old video card back in 2011. Under Linux. And the experience was perfectly fine with the default render settings.

Better Together locks in behaviour invariants for the various in game objects so that everything behaves the same on my laptop as it does on my kid's lovely Kindle fire tablet. This is why it's so smooth compared to Java edition; it's optimized for very low end devices. It's also why Redstone is broken, or at least different.

It also locks in users to the XBox Live ecosystem, and builds in a store complete with in game currency. It's optimized for kids to needle their parents for micro transaction so they can dress up like a parrot or some poo poo.

e: typo

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Didn't watch the whole video, but I assume the significantly lowered updates per tick, per chunk, etc, are a result of the new version being built with mobile devices in mind? With consoles being a second layer of compatibility.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVJLxRGqUA

potions are another one of those things which take a crazy amount of trial and error to understand without outside resources

if some items were just marked as "potion base", "potion primary ingredient" "potion secondary ingredient" it would be fine

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVJLxRGqUA

potions are another one of those things which take a crazy amount of trial and error to understand without outside resources

if some items were just marked as "potion base", "potion primary ingredient" "potion secondary ingredient" it would be fine

Or even if it were such that all items with a "dust"-like icon were potion additives, for example, someone could reasonably discover one and then piggyback off of that to guess the rest. But the closest that the game comes is that the two secondary ingredients happen to both be dusts, but none of the other dusts work and there's no other such patterns.

Also a problem is that all brewing is locked behind end-game or near-end-game materials. You don't get to play around with it all game when some of the potions (like speed, or night-vision, for example) could be most helpful.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, I've always thought you should at least be able to make a worse potion stand without blaze rods. Like, maybe you can make ones with iron that only brew 1 potion at a time, so they consume 3x the ingredients.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, I've always thought you should at least be able to make a worse potion stand without blaze rods. Like, maybe you can make ones with iron that only brew 1 potion at a time, so they consume 3x the ingredients.

That still wouldn't help without bases other than nether wart. Like, they have a whole system supposedly about mixing and matching ingredients, and then they make the entire thing require the same base ingredient from the same biome.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The bedrock patch is up and they say it fixes the passive mob spawning issue. I did see many more passive mobs when I started a new game, but I couldn't find a swamp to test the slimes.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS
if i buy a texture pack can i apply it to the realm we have already built in?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

An update from the good people of the Skylands, in glorious 4k.

A lot of progress at spawn, I feel.

We're looking for a new server project, if anyone has any ideas. We did hit upon the idea of turning a village into a sprawling, 100%-survival-mode metropolis, but - we don't know how to find one, or whether one would even spawn in this mod. If anyone has any ideas for how to find a village without just cheating in villager eggs, I would really, really appreciate it. It sounds like a project we all would have a great deal of fun with.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You guys have a really neat server setup there! I love all the goofy names for things and how creative you had to get building in a skylands. Building a metropolis sounds like a pretty neat idea to be honest, but I have no idea how you'd find villagers. You might have to populate it from healed Villager Zombies.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

New snapshot is up with some of the Aquatic Update features.

My favorite thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX6mXHrUfj4

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm pretty fond of the fact dropped items will now float in water instead of sinking.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty fond of the fact dropped items will now float in water instead of sinking.

Goodbye forever, every hopper-based water collection system.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

It seems like hoppers should still grab the items. Don't they collect any item dropped into the square above them? Even if they don't, just have the water end one space before the hopper; either through distance or by putting a sign on the wall above the hopper.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Mzbundifund posted:

Don't be so hasty, there's still plenty of new water mechanics to be introduced that will utterly destroy item conveyers - and plenty of other contraptions as well!

There's a new mechanic in place that items as well as players will sink/float in a column of water above magma blocks/soul sand, though only below sea level.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

notoriousman posted:

... There's a new mechanic in place that items as well as players will sink/float in a column of water above magma blocks/soul sand, though only below sea level.

FrySquint.jpg

Poe's Law.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 14, 2018

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_BElp1gZg

I'm still not entirely sure how these columns work in my own testing; trying to create them in a superflat world is a real pain, as it seems the column itself needs to be surrounded by water source blocks or something. In a generated body of water it's as simple as placing the magma or soul sand block at the bottom of the pool ans watching the bubble column give off a faint light.

It seems the minimum height of a column is 2 blocks, and has the added effect of being transparent behind glass? Even with water already filling the glass contraption only the bottom two water blocks formed a column, and the magma/soul sand block may need an update.

Edit: I think I see now. You can't produce a column at or above sea level, which is ordinarily Y=63 (or Y=5 in the standard superflat preset).

notoriousman fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 14, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looking at some videos of the update, I noticed mobs just chilling underwater. I think the kelp counts as spawnable areas and they don't suffocate while hanging out in them?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

notoriousman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_BElp1gZg

I'm still not entirely sure how these columns work in my own testing; trying to create them in a superflat world is a real pain, as it seems the column itself needs to be surrounded by water source blocks or something. In a generated body of water it's as simple as placing the magma or soul sand block at the bottom of the pool ans watching the bubble column give off a faint light.

It seems the minimum height of a column is 2 blocks, and has the added effect of being transparent behind glass? Even with water already filling the glass contraption only the bottom two water blocks formed a column, and the magma/soul sand block may need an update.

Edit: I think I see now. You can't produce a column at or above sea level, which is ordinarily Y=63 (or Y=5 in the standard superflat preset).

Ok, so, the hell-sand that sucks you in and bogs you down -lifts you- and the block of hot, rising current -pulls you down-

What The gently caress, Jeb

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Magmarashi posted:

Ok, so, the hell-sand that sucks you in and bogs you down -lifts you- and the block of hot, rising current -pulls you down-

I didn't even think about that at first and now I'll be forever annoyed by it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

I think it's a deliberate choice as a sort of trap design.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Just think of the bubbles as the screaming, tormented souls of the damned escaping.

In other, the-Minecraft-Community-is-loving-retarded news, I got into a bit of an argument with someone about why the stripped log blocks were necessary or not. Like dude, it's additional decoration in a building game.

Or it just might be because redditors are loving awful.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
How do you strip logs? I could look it up but I'd rather post here and further the discussion.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

Right click with your axe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Minecraft creative mode worlds should have a 'double detail' mode where it just doubles the size of the players to make it look like all the blocks are half the size so people can model in extra detailing.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I was wondering what stripped logs look like and found this picture:

I guess like everything it's subject to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

I was wondering what stripped logs look like and found this picture:

I guess like everything it's subject to change.

Oh hey, that's my picture. What you don't see behind me is a field of smashed turtle eggs and giant phantoms.

Anyone else waiting to start a new world for a few more snapshots? They've stated that generation of certain things is only temporary, so I don't want to dive head-in until things are more firm.