Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Daaaaamn a black mirror episode had a happy ending!?

E: ish. Happy-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Daaaaamn a black mirror episode had a happy ending!?

E: ish. Happy-ish.

Hang the DJ?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nosedive. I'm nowhere near Hang The DJ, but good to know it happens again :unsmith:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Nosedive. I'm nowhere near Hang The DJ, but good to know it happens again :unsmith:

I thought you were talking about Shut up and Dance, the other other beautiful ending

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I don't think any of them are 100% happy endings. Even Hang the DJ is at least a little unsettling.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

I thought you were talking about Shut up and Dance, the other other beautiful ending

lol

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Android Blues posted:

This is nonsense, it doesn't take place in the same universe, and it's clearly not a "boot camp for prospective actors and singers".

I don't get why people are so hung up on continuity. In the grand tradition of British sci-fi programming, the show has continuity when it serves the story and doesn't when it doesn't.

Honestly it's as much speculation and guesswork as everyone trying to figure out how all the episodes don't take place in the same universe, especially when some clearly do. Also, that's not a grand tradition, you're just making that up. Or is that the tradition? I think we're all a bit confused.

.::screen cracking::.

(Black Mirror title)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Goddamit. Playtest was great up until the very end, like what?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What if Jacob's Ladder, but too much video games?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It seems like something that was workshopped to death. "What if this happens and then there's a twist?" "That's cool, but what if there's another twist?" "Yeah, but then there's ANOTHER twist!"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cojawfee posted:

It seems like something that was workshopped to death. "What if this happens and then there's a twist?" "That's cool, but what if there's another twist?" "Yeah, but then there's ANOTHER twist!"

Totally. I was cool with Cooper waking up in not-Kojima's office. I was rolling my eyes at the twist after that one and the last one was just...gently caress.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Here's a link that goes into the extra twist from Playtest, dealing specifically with the line that inspired our thread title:

https://mic.com/articles/157730/black-mirror-season-3-playtest-was-inspired-by-writer-mallory-ortberg-s-criticism#.XMvM0omYQ

quote:

In a spoiler-filled interview with Entertainment Weekly, Brooker said Ortberg's criticism inspired the final "Playtest" twist. "When I read the first treatment, there was the first twist but not the second," Brooker said. "[Then] we were like, 'Hold on, what if we add in another thing? What if we add a phone call at the end?' I was partly amusing myself, because there's a funny criticism of Black Mirror from Mallory Ortberg who wrote, "Next on Black Mirror: What if phones, but too much?" And I thought: 'Right, that's what I'm going to do. Let's do that episode!'"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Playtest: if you twist a story too much you break it

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Doltos posted:

Playtest: if you twist a story too much you break it

Pretty much. It's just disappointing because having games as a hobby (and being a survival horror nut) it was a cool episode with really nice references, and that final twist is just...dumb. I'd definitely re-watch it though, if only for Coopers acting.

Also in general Black Mirror I'm loving the pattern of if an American and Brit are on screen together, odds are one of them is going to remark 'how very American/British of you'

E: okay because I can't stop thinking about it it makes sense that a backpacker in Europe would be scared of some shady odd job poo poo subconsciously, so that works with the Mushroom, but then for that to actually be what was happening down to the detail?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 18, 2018

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

You think Trump actually cared about corruption or had a single genuine and earnest thought but got magically hijacked by evil people, have you not paid attention to basically everything he has said and odne over the past 30 years.

Yeah. I essentially agree with this. Waldo was a populist con job by the powers that be. Trump is.... Trump.

I've been reading Fire and Fury and beyond the salacious stuff it actually gives a very good picture of Trump, and he's absolutely no Waldo populist manipulator who knows what to say and has a hidden agenda.

He's really way way more basic. Like a toddler or unfiltered id. Just a never ending bundle of attention neediness, resentment, and laziness.

In a way its far more unbelievable that Trump got elected than Waldo. Waldo has intelligent malice behind him. Trump is, and according to the author, a child as described by everyone in his administration. That's why he's constantly beyond satire.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How about this? Take away the puppet masters behind Waldo. Just leave the character, totally in a vacuum. What do you have?

Donald Trump.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Watched S4, here's some quick and unpolluted opinions:

USS Callister - I liked it, and now I want to see a TV series aboit EVE Online. Well directed.
Arkangel - A bit too predictable; once you know the gimmick, you know where this goes.
Crocodile - Probably the most interesting idea and script of the lot, in my opinion.
Hang the DJ - Interesting ideas about computers as dating facilitators. Good twist.
Metalhead - Good action episode that's also spooky af. Wished it were longer to flesh the world out even more. Never seen the lead actress in anything, but she was great.
Black Museum - Too self-concious. Kind of felt like they were trying to one-up previous episodes, like the White Christmas special. Wasn't a big fan.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
black mirror episode idea:

a university, or a bunch of universities, use the technology of uss callister where you can make a digital consciousness based on a human simply by scanning in their genome, to resurrect the greatest scientific minds of modern history like einstein, feynman, von neumann etc. and bring them in one place where they can contribute to the betterment of mankind. also in the same episode nazis pirate the same technology and use it to resurrect digital hitler.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Watched all four series over a couple weeks. A neat thing I realized from Shut Up and Dance! The name of the anti-malware software Kenny downloaded was Shrive, which sounded familiar, so I looked it up.

quote:

shrive
verb (archaic)

* (of a priest) hear the confession of, assign penance to, and absolve (someone).
* present oneself to a priest for confession, penance, and absolution.

Appropriate! I love things like that. :)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nietzsche posted:

Watched all four series over a couple weeks. A neat thing I realized from Shut Up and Dance! The name of the anti-malware software Kenny downloaded was Shrive, which sounded familiar, so I looked it up.

It's a damning indictment of Black Mirror's version of Google that the first search result for "anti-malware" is a malware program.

That is a very poor search engine.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/michael_deforge/status/959803240928956417

black museum

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thinking back to the first episode. Deepfake would definitely solve that easily.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ulio posted:

Thinking back to the first episode. Deepfake would definitely solve that easily.

deepfake was actually secretly developed in the case of a national anthem type situation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ulio posted:

They literally planned to do that but got stopped.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Nietzsche posted:

Appropriate! I love things like that. :)

Hahaha because priests

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just finished Series 4. It had its moments and a couple of standout episodes, but it definitely seems like they're running out of ideas.

USS Callister: Good poo poo, loved the setting and direction. As a goon, I am very concerned with this episode's portrayal of socially awkward nerds.
Arkangel: Episode was solid, ending was a bit poo poo. Would have been better if they'd stuck with one of the two obvious conclusions instead of kinda going down the middle.
Crocodile: I thought it was the weakest episode, but I loved the 90 pound lady being some kind of super ninja with a penchant for stealth kills and killing guys three times her size with her bare hands.
Hang the DJ: I liked the leads well enough, but the framework was weak as hell. Coach is my favorite series villain, though.
Metalhead: Definitely the most different episode. I liked the contrast between the artsy noir direction and the adorable dog terminator. It could have done with even less dialogue.
Black Museum: What if White Christmas, but instead of being bright and cheerful, the atmosphere is dark and oppressive? It wasn't bad or anything, but it really didn't need to hit all the same plot beats as a previous episode in a less creative way. Bonus shout out to Jack for being the dumbest fucker on the planet.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 18, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don’t think Crocodile needed to have have a character on-screen literally explain what happened to the kid.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Just finished Series 4. It had its moments and a couple of standout episodes, but it definitely seems like they're running out of ideas.

USS Callister: Good poo poo, loved the setting and direction. As a goon, I am very concerned with this episode's portrayal of socially awkward nerds.
Arkangel: Episode was solid, ending was a bit poo poo. Would have been better if they'd stuck with one of the two obvious conclusions instead of kinda going down the middle.
Crocodile: I thought it was the weakest episode, but I loved the 90 pound lady being some kind of super ninja with a penchant for stealth kills and killing guys three times her size with her bare hands.
Hang the DJ: I liked the leads well enough, but the framework was weak as hell. Coach is my favorite series villain, though.
Metalhead: Definitely the most different episode. I liked the contrast between the artsy noir direction and the adorable dog terminator. It could have done with even less dialogue.
Black Museum: What if White Christmas, but instead of being bright and cheerful, the atmosphere is dark and oppressive? It wasn't bad or anything, but it really didn't need to hit all the same plot beats as a previous episode in a less creative way. Bonus shout out to Jack for being the dumbest fucker on the planet.

Yeah white Christmas was a really heartwarming and inviting episode.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I rewatched USS Callister and I think on rewatch it's clear that whether Daly is the bad guy is a very grey issue. Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment:

We start with rudely Elena ignoring the CTO as he tries to badge into his own company, rather than be proactive and polite by greeting him and assisting when it becomes clear he's having an issue.

Shania blows past him while on the phone, invading his penson space so severely he trips over a bag avoiding her. She also abused Lacie, a very good person who did not deserve to be treated poorly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpK90bHO2U

The bag's owner faux apologizes, then batters the CTO.

Nate is rude and standoffish when Daly tries to make conversation at the coffeemaker

While Daly is nothing but a gentleman to his new attractive employee, Walton bursts in and sexually harasses Nanette.

In short, what we witness is a collection of verbal, physical, and sexual abusers. While cruel and unusual punishment can be claimed to be morally wrong, it's not clear that Daly's actions were illegal at the time of the incident. (Later, Black Museum mentions these AIs have rights, but it's not clear this was the law at the time)

So it looks like we have a collection of people who like to walk up to the line of what they can get away with, and a CTO who uses his personal property to peacefuly and nonviolently de-stress.

He is then killed for this peaceful and legal use of his private property! If you want to say that cookies have rights, you could also make the argument that these cookies are an extension of their real life counterparts, and thus the real life counterparts should be jailed for manslaughter.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 3, 2018

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Now that's some goodass satire.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

maskenfreiheit posted:

So I rewatched USS Callister and I think on rewatch it's clear that whether Daly is the bad guy is a very grey issue. Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment:

We start with rudely Elena ignoring the CTO as he tries to badge into his own company, rather than be proactive and polite by greeting him and assisting when it becomes clear he's having an issue.

Shania blows past him while on the phone, invading his penson space so severely he trips over a bag avoiding her. She also abused Lacie, a very good person who did not deserve to be treated poorly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpK90bHO2U

The bag's owner faux apologizes, then batters the CTO.

Nate is rude and standoffish when Daly tries to make conversation at the coffeemaker

While Daly is nothing but a gentleman to his new attractive employee, Walton bursts in and sexually harasses Nanette.

In short, what we witness is a collection of verbal, physical, and sexual abusers. While cruel and unusual punishment can be claimed to be morally wrong, it's not clear that Daly's actions were illegal at the time of the incident. (Later, Black Museum mentions these AIs have rights, but it's not clear this was the law at the time)

So it looks like we have a collection of people who like to walk up to the line of what they can get away with, and a CTO who uses his personal property to peacefuly and nonviolently de-stress.

He is then killed for this peaceful and legal use of his private property! If you want to say that cookies have rights, you could also make the argument that these cookies are an extension of their real life counterparts, and thus the real life counterparts should be jailed for manslaughter.

Did this episode hit too close to home for you or something? Daly killed a child, doesn't matter what his co-workers did to him. He is a "bad guy," there is no ambiguity to that. Even ignoring all the sci-fi stuff, Daly is a manbaby who can not deal with his frustrations, stress, and anger in a healthy way. Imagine a 30-something-year-old co-worker going home every night creating Sims of everyone in the office and torturing them, killing their families, etc. And these copies in the show have feelings and emotions.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Joe Chill posted:

Daly killed a child, doesn't matter what his co-workers did to him. He is a "bad guy," there is no ambiguity to that.

No, the child was a simulation.

Whereas Daly is real, and these AI chose not to alert authorities to his predicament once they were safe. If they had been kidnapped IRL and locked him in a room to die they'd be brought up on manslaughter charges. You have a legal right to use lethal force in self defense, but once you're free of danger that argument doesn't hold water.

At the end of the day they engaged in some bad behaviors, Daly retaliated, and so they murdered him

Joe Chill posted:

Even ignoring all the sci-fi stuff, Daly is a manbaby who can not deal with his frustrations, stress, and anger in a healthy way. Imagine a 30-something-year-old co-worker going home every night creating Sims of everyone in the office and torturing them, killing their families, etc. And these copies in the show have feelings and emotions.

Well, I'm not super familiar with that game but it's still not ok to murder someone just because they do weird stuff to their sims. And again, these cookies are not people - they are programmed to react a certain way but they don't actually feel emotions/feelings.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The story is premised on the copies being sentient. If your reaction is "they're not real people it doesn't matter" you're essentially saying you think the story's premise is false, making any analysis a non-starter.

It's like reading a time travel story and frowning while saying "but time travel is fake".

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

maskenfreiheit posted:

No, the child was a simulation.

Whereas Daly is real, and these AI chose not to alert authorities to his predicament once they were safe. If they had been kidnapped IRL and locked him in a room to die they'd be brought up on manslaughter charges. You have a legal right to use lethal force in self defense, but once you're free of danger that argument doesn't hold water.

At the end of the day they engaged in some bad behaviors, Daly retaliated, and so they murdered him

If they do not have emotions, then why can not they be reprogrammed to follow the rules of Daly's Star Trek games? Why kill a man's child to get him to fall in line if the man's feelings are not real? It's like these "cookies" have a mind of their own!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Well, I'm not super familiar with that game but it's still not ok to murder someone just because they do weird stuff to their sims. And again, these cookies are not people - they are programmed to react a certain way but they don't actually feel emotions/feelings.

That was not my point, I said nothing about murder. IRL Daly would still be a manbaby who can not deal with his frustrations, stress, and anger in a healthy way. For example, a 30-something-year-old co-worker going home every night creating Sims of everyone in the office and torturing them, killing their families, etc. is a messed up and unhealthily way to deal with emotional problems.

They are not "programmed to react a certain way", they are 100% copy of the original persons, they can't even be called AIs.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 3, 2018

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

The story is premised on the copies being sentient. If your reaction is "they're not real people it doesn't matter" you're essentially saying you think the story's premise is false, making any analysis a non-starter.

It's like reading a time travel story and frowning while saying "but time travel is fake".

ok, let's concede they're people (i don't, but let's for now)

they still killed him. felony manslaughter. once they were free of their "confines" and in the main game they had an obligation to send aid to him. their inaction is manslaughter.

at the end of the day, i think the most serious crime is murder, and i think it is telling that the "victims" end the show by committing a much worse crime

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

maskenfreiheit posted:

ok, let's concede they're people (i don't, but let's for now)

they still killed him. felony manslaughter. once they were free of their "confines" and in the main game they had an obligation to send aid to him. their inaction is manslaughter.

at the end of the day, i think the most serious crime is murder, and i think it is telling that the "victims" end the show by committing a much worse crime

There is no way to know if they knew if Daly's would have died. They are not obligated to send aid to him. It would be self defense since they had no other legal means to get out or even be knowledgeable that Dalys died. Are his captives supposed to check in on him after escaping and make sure he is okay?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Joe Chill posted:

There is no way to know if they knew if Daly's would have died. They are not obligated to send aid to him. It would be self defense since they had no other legal means to get out or even be knowledgeable that Dalys died. Are his captives supposed to check in on him after escaping and make sure he is okay?

The show creator has said it, it is canon he starved during the holiday due to the DND sign.

And they absolutely do have a duty, since they locked him in the game and acknowledge knowing this. Just like if they were REAL PEOPLE and they locked their captor in a room they'd be obligated to inform someone or they'd be liable for the death.

Unless you want to concede they aren't people and thus not bound by our manslaughter laws...

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

maskenfreiheit posted:

The show creator has said it, it is canon he starved during the holiday due to the DND sign.

And they absolutely do have a duty, since they locked him in the game and acknowledge knowing this. Just like if they were REAL PEOPLE and they locked their captor in a room they'd be obligated to inform someone or they'd be liable for the death.

Unless you want to concede they aren't people and thus not bound by our manslaughter laws...

Truly the copies are the real villains of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Joe Chill posted:

Truly the copies are the real villains of the story.

yes, kidnapping is a less serious crime than murder. it's a bit scary you don't seem to understand this...