Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Out of wonder, has any team/tag fighter ever tried anything similar to pick/ban draft rules? E.G. players take turns picking characters with, say, an option to ban a certain character after a certain point? I don't think it's better, I'm just kind of curious if any game or tournament has tried it, because it could create a different way to play the game that's novel and interesting even if not as rawly competitive (forces higher level play with more than your small core team, allows players to play to the meta outside of simply picking characters, etc).

UFGT/Combo breaker has done several variations of stuff like this, and I think one of them did allow for some explicit bans but it's hard to remember them all

It's always fun for like 10 minutes but it's not really as fun as you'd think. It's more fun seeing someone like iheartjustice actually use Phoenix Wright and beat top players than it is to see those same top players mess around with different characters for it's own sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the absolute best version of any sort of character select meta is tournaments using character ratios based on tiers

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Zand posted:

play stick and stop riding the gate

What if the only stick I have in a fanta stick?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Out of wonder, has any team/tag fighter ever tried anything similar to pick/ban draft rules? E.G. players take turns picking characters with, say, an option to ban a certain character after a certain point? I don't think it's better, I'm just kind of curious if any game or tournament has tried it, because it could create a different way to play the game that's novel and interesting even if not as rawly competitive (forces higher level play with more than your small core team, allows players to play to the meta outside of simply picking characters, etc).

I can't believe this is actually a thing in competitive gaming.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Night Blade posted:

What if the only stick I have in a fanta stick?

omg don't play 2d games anymore

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't believe this is actually a thing in competitive gaming.

it makes sense in mobas but fgs aint mobas

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not only is it a thing in competitive gaming, it's how the absolute most popular competitive games are played

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
even if it was reasonable for people to learn multiple characters, I think it would just result in unpopular characters being played less

like, if you're about to play against FAB you're gonna ban Potemkin every time. But no one else plays Potemkin and they're not gonna pick him up to get around bans, they're almost definitely just gonna learn more high-tier characters

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was actually shocked to hear ban/draft was a standard for card games/MOBAs because why would you not let people play their best poo poo?

It makes sense, but in the context of fighting games it's terrible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's really hype when someone is good with a low-tier or weird character and just owns everyone because pro's don't know that matchup.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dias posted:

I was actually shocked to hear ban/draft was a standard for card games/MOBAs because why would you not let people play their best poo poo?

It makes sense, but in the context of fighting games it's terrible.

There's a lot more hard counters and a good ban system actually increases the variety and styles of game you can play.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Zand posted:

omg don't play 2d games anymore

but infil does it :(

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah picking and banning are half the match in games like dota, and I think it makes those games much better because things like hard counters exist and the pick/ban meta is usually based around that. It might be a fun gimmick for a fgc tourney, but not much more than that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

It's really hype when someone is good with a low-tier or weird character and just owns everyone because pro's don't know that matchup.

So you watched Cooperation Cup too?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Picks and bans allow you to make a game with hard counters, allow you to create powerful synergies between characters without them being disruptive to the game as a whole, and allow you to put off fixing glaring balance issues with characters. These aren't things that are desirable/applicable to a competitive 1v1 game. Also it means that if someone is truly a superstar player, you will never see them playing their best characters. Like this already happens in Dota, where for years Dendi was the superstar everyone liked and his most famous hero was Pudge. If teams felt like Pudge was actually a threat at all they would 100% immediately ban Pudge, meaning fans never got to see the most popular player play the character that he's known for, like having an NBA showmatch with Shaq and a bunch of no-names but it was actually a free throw competition.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Also it means that if someone is truly a superstar player, you will never see them playing their best characters. Like this already happens in Dota, where for years Dendi was the superstar everyone liked and his most famous hero was Pudge. If teams felt like Pudge was actually a threat at all they would 100% immediately ban Pudge, meaning fans never got to see the most popular player play the character that he's known for, like having an NBA showmatch with Shaq and a bunch of no-names but it was actually a free throw competition.

Christ this sounds dumb.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

So you watched Cooperation Cup too?

I haven't, but I should.

I was thinking about Q in 3S, Fuerte in SF4 and basically anything low-tier that Infiltration plays. Especially Infiltration's Hakan.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The ban system is actually pretty good in games with crappy balance, like Hearthstone, because that way you get more entertaining matches usually.
It doesn't quite work with FGs because most modern FGs are at least reasonably well balanced.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The way Smash 4 works is game one you agree to a pick from three neutral stages- FD, Smashville or Battlefield but almost everyone just goes to Smashville- and then the winner of game one gets to ban a stage from the complete stage list, and the loser picks any neutral stage or a counterpick stage for the next game. Some scenes use DSR, or Dave's Stupid Rule, which means you can't pick a stage you already won a game on, which comes up in game 3 or 5 situations. Because the stage picks and bans exist, you're not character locked the round after a win so you can pick a different character in light of a stage counterpick. No characters are banned.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The stage picking in smash would take longer than the matches themselves, if smash matches also weren't longer than Marvel 3 somehow

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I reinstalled, tried Sakura for 2 minutes or so and was so disgusted I had to immediately uninstall again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I did sakuras trials and had fun but im not buying poo poo

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I played tons of smash casually before I ever touched real fighting games. I really tried to enjoy watching smash but holy hell it really takes forever to get through a match.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I reinstalled, tried Sakura for 2 minutes or so and was so disgusted I had to immediately uninstall again

Same. Unless she is visibly pregnant what's even the point

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
People don't lose to Q because they don't know how to fight Q. People lose to Q because Kuroda is the divine essence of Third Strike given mortal form.

Also what the hell card game has a ban/draft format

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ratio tournaments work fine for old-school/low-roster games, the Japanese Breakers players mostly run ratio tournaments and people seem content.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dracula Factory posted:

I played tons of smash casually before I ever touched real fighting games. I really tried to enjoy watching smash but holy hell it really takes forever to get through a match.

Tbf Sm4sh is a lot more sane in general (except the stage stuff) compared to melee, which is probably the worst spectator esport on the planet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite selection gimmicks are definitely auction tourneys. I'm also looking forward to events running 6 man DBFZ tourneys with some twist of some kind in the coming year

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

My favorite selection gimmicks are definitely auction tourneys. I'm also looking forward to events running 6 man DBFZ tourneys with some twist of some kind in the coming year

DBFZ 3v3 team tournaments are going to be incredible and they're probably one of the gimmick formats I'm most excited to see.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't Super DBZ or some other game have a mode that rebalanced the characters according to canon power levels? They should add that to the new game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beerus wins mode

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

inthesto posted:

Also what the hell card game has a ban/draft format

Some Hearthstone tournaments did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reiley posted:

DBFZ 3v3 team tournaments are going to be incredible and they're probably one of the gimmick formats I'm most excited to see.

Actual team fighting in a team fighting game is going to be amazing if only for the team meltdowns

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

isn't the 6 vs 6 mode online only? i don't think we're going to see a lot of that unfortunately

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You could lan 6 consoles together probably

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There's a game called Battlerite that's kind of like a MOBA but it's more mechanically complex (heroes have more skills, everything is a skill shot, you move with WASD) and a few tournaments tried a ban system and it sucked for all the reasons people in this thread have said. Everyone just bans whatever their opponents best hero is, so you just end up with a lot of people playing their next best hero at a semi-substandard level. It actively makes playing and watching tournaments worse.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I'd love to see a full Random Select tournament, or a "Pick your opponent's character' thing. Get some match ups you'd never see otherwise.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Barudak posted:

Actual team fighting in a team fighting game is going to be amazing if only for the team meltdowns

exactly

its going to make for fun streams

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I'd love to see a full Random Select tournament, or a "Pick your opponent's character' thing. Get some match ups you'd never see otherwise.

There was a gem that did that during the BATTLE FOR THE STONES and some guy had to play hulk/black panther/someone else and it made a boring game to watch even more boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fearless_Decoy posted:

All this means is you're going to see competitors playing badly with characters they're not familiar with, instead of actually providing high-level play which is why people watch tournaments to begin with.