Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ometeotl posted:

What's this about?

If you talk to the shop owner that you bought Sheba's core crystal from while she's equipped as an active blade to someone you get a cool cutscene and half your money back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

wow, bathtubs

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is orb mastery a blade art, battle skill, or field skill (guessing its not this one)?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is orb mastery a blade art, battle skill, or field skill (guessing its not this one)?

Battle skill (the yellow orbs)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JUST hit the level cap, pushing Five to ~910 luck and

and

I GOT ZENOBIAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :neckbeard:

Great... so now what? I got my White Whale. How do I make her busted?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silver Falcon posted:

and

I think you just have to do all her affinity orbs which I am not looking forward to.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Silver Falcon posted:

Use the axe art that recharges on crit. Equip a high-crit chip and some combination of affinity max atk, hp attack up, critical up, outdoor attack up, indoor attack up, and fast blade switch aux cores.

Oh, and send her on all her merc missions ASAP so you can fill out her tree.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Silver Falcon posted:

and

1. Do a bunch of merc quests to open up her affinity chart.
2. Kill a shitload of unique monsters.
3. Accept a quest in Argentum. Find several hidden items that require high level field skills to unlock.
4. Kill a strong enemy.

I've done #1 and #3, and apparently need to do at least part of #2 to be able to do #4. I obviously don't know what happens after that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have 4 blades left, Zenobia is of course 1 of them, and the other 3 are ones that people always recommend too. I did get KOS-MOS pretty early at least, and on the person I wanted. I ended up rolling (chapter 8 spoilers) with Rex w/ Mythra/Pyra, Nia, and Roc ; Zeke w/ Pandoria, Gorg, and KOS-MOS ; Morag w/ Brighid, Kassandra, and Aegeon although occasionally I'd swap Percival in for Kassandra, depending.

I understand that Tora/Poppi are objectively better, but I absolutely could not stand "Meh! Meh! Meh-Meh!" endlessly during combat. Everyone else's constant cries were stupid but i just could not tolerate Tora in particular. I didn't want to turn battle chatter off either for reasons, mainly it was useful when I was only half-paying attention because they occasionally called out something useful.

(same spoilers)I found that Nia on Rex worked really really well, mainly I'd use Mythra/Pyra and Roc to do combos, with Zeke doing launching duties usually, and occasionally swapping to Nia for heals or just general attacks because she was pretty solid. I had really good luck with Morag and Zeke doing Breaks and Launches, with the occasional Topple as a bonus, so I'd normally quick switch to Mythra and do a topple, wait a brief moment to hear "Pandoria!" from Zeke which meant an imminent launch, then a quick switch over to Roc for the Smash. Occasionally one of the others would Smash as well. (chapter 9(?) spoiler now) The Triple Attack that you get really late game with Nia/PyMythra was pretty nice, I felt, and made it worth keeping Nia as a blade. I would only switch her back when I was gathering stuff to get more Blades up for Field Skills. Also Pneuma was a beast when you needed her to be and helped me out of a few tight spots.

I never found enemies difficult enough to need to be comboing everything myself, and I feel I probably combo'd 70% of breaks relying on others to do the launch anyways. I was probably overleveled by about 10 levels after Chapter 8, though, because I went on a massive sidequest spree around then.

I finished the main quest and a significant chunk of side/blade quests at 154 hours, which is about right for me. I have a poor attention span and would frequently get within 200 steps of some objective only to be distracted by who knows what and prance off to 12 other titans and 6 side quests before getting back to where I was, except recursively. All in all I enjoyed it. It had the usual ending annoyance that Xenoblades have, but whatever. I knew what I was getting into.

My main complaints are the Blade Lottery was just frustrating and a huge time sink, and good loving god Ursula's final affinity tier better be loving godlike because I can never use her because she's on infinite missions holy poo poo :mad:. Oh, and shackling is annoying as hell, especially the one that you can't use items to counter. And gently caress Xenoblade's habit of pushing a game mechanic really hard only to take it away from you at a certain point namely your ability to use specials in the Spirit Crucible Whatever. I retooled and did fine but I hate that. It was at least less annoying than XCX spending 100% of the game pimping skells, to the point where I devoted all my time/energy/learning into making my Skells awesome and mastering Skell combat, only to force them away for the endgame. I had to completely relearn combat, jesus that was annoying.

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 17, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shortspecialbus posted:

I have 4 blades left, Zenobia is of course 1 of them, and the other 3 are ones that people always recommend too. I did get KOS-MOS pretty early at least, and on the person I wanted. I ended up rolling (chapter 8 spoilers) with Rex w/ Mythra/Pyra, Nia, and Roc ; Zeke w/ Pandoria, Gorg, and KOS-MOS ; Morag w/ Brighid, Kassandra, and Aegeon although occasionally I'd swap Percival in for Kassandra, depending.

I understand that Tora/Poppi are objectively better, but I absolutely could not stand "Meh! Meh! Meh-Meh!" endlessly during combat. Everyone else's constant cries were stupid but i just could not tolerate Tora in particular. I didn't want to turn battle chatter off either for reasons, mainly it was useful when I was only half-paying attention because they occasionally called out something useful.

(same spoilers)I found that Nia on Rex worked really really well, mainly I'd use Mythra/Pyra and Roc to do combos, with Zeke doing launching duties usually, and occasionally swapping to Nia for heals or just general attacks because she was pretty solid. I had really good luck with Morag and Zeke doing Breaks and Launches, with the occasional Topple as a bonus, so I'd normally quick switch to Mythra and do a topple, wait a brief moment to hear "Pandoria!" from Zeke which meant an imminent launch, then a quick switch over to Roc for the Smash. Occasionally one of the others would Smash as well. (chapter 9(?) spoiler now) The Triple Attack that you get really late game with Nia/PyMythra was pretty nice, I felt, and made it worth keeping Nia as a blade. I would only switch her back when I was gathering stuff to get more Blades up for Field Skills. Also Pneuma was a beast when you needed her to be and helped me out of a few tight spots.

I never found enemies difficult enough to need to be comboing everything myself, and I feel I probably combo'd 70% of breaks relying on others to do the launch anyways. I was probably overleveled by about 10 levels after Chapter 8, though, because I went on a massive sidequest spree around then.

I finished the main quest and a significant chunk of side/blade quests at 154 hours, which is about right for me. I have a poor attention span and would frequently get within 200 steps of some objective only to be distracted by who knows what and prance off to 12 other titans and 6 side quests before getting back to where I was, except recursively. All in all I enjoyed it. It had the usual ending annoyance that Xenoblades have, but whatever. I knew what I was getting into.

My main complaints are the Blade Lottery was just frustrating and a huge time sink, and good loving god Ursula's final affinity tier better be loving godlike because I can never use her because she's on infinite missions holy poo poo :mad:. Oh, and shackling is annoying as hell, especially the one that you can't use items to counter. And gently caress Xenoblade's habit of pushing a game mechanic really hard only to take it away from you at a certain point namely your ability to use specials in the Spirit Crucible Whatever. I retooled and did fine but I hate that. It was at least less annoying than XCX spending 100% of the game pimping skells, to the point where I devoted all my time/energy/learning into making my Skells awesome and mastering Skell combat, only to force them away for the endgame. I had to completely relearn combat, jesus that was annoying.

Something for XCX I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it, but it's entirely possible to wreck at least part of the final boss fight with Skells before he pops the move that forces you into a ground-based fight.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something for XCX I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it, but it's entirely possible to wreck at least part of the final boss fight with Skells before he pops the move that forces you into a ground-based fight.

Yeah, and also if you die at a certain point during a forced ground battle, I think one against Lao's first form, maybe, you get your skells back for a bit. As it was I just looked up some tutorials and completely redid how I had my stuff setup. I'd never really learned ground game.

But that was a few years ago. I replayed the game about 8 months back and did a lot better since I knew what I was doing, and have a good rusted glaive setup where I basically don't take any damage on the high level bosses because they can't hit me.

And that's also a different game. Back to XC2:

I read some advice a few pages back on how to beat the Sky King or whatever in Tantal cloudy weather, and managed to stomp him my second try with level 78-80 setup as described in my previous post. Killing him the first time with a Full Burst leveled everyone up above 80 immediately, second kill got me over 82. First Legendary gave me Newt, and then I realized that I was missing a couple blades that don't come from normal cubes. At this point, I'm only missing Theory, who I'll get soon enough, Perun, and of course Zenobia, who I've wanted for the last 100 hours :( Gorg does well enough in that spot against pretty much everything I've faced so I dunno what I'm worried about so much.

At this point the main thing I want is a Gold (Legendary? Level 3? w/e) Overclock, and 2-3 Gold Beta Scopes. I read to farm the former from the bunnits by the port in Tantal, and the latter from the huge red birds in the World Tree. Can anyone confirm that? I killed about 20 of the latter and got nothing of any use, and they die on the first driver smash so I don't really know how to try to drag more drops out of them. I still have (Chapter 7-8 spoiler, I forget which)Nia in blade form equipped with a chip that increases drops, too.

ssb fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 17, 2018

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Has anyone had an issue with vale's quest where the noppon mom just doesn't spawn after you ask around town? She's equipped, I've tried un-equipping and re-equipping, restarting the game, traveling to another Titan and back, changing the time of day but she's just not in the place where she's supposed to be

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 17, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Has anyone had an issue with vale's quest where the noppon mom just doesn't spawn after you ask around town? She's equipped, I've tried un-equipping and re-equipping, restarting the game, traveling to another Titan and back, changing the time of day but she's just not in the place where she's supposed to be

do you have Pyra in your party?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Open up the quest in your quest log and hit Y to look at the details, you might be missing a blade or something :shrug:

It took me a minute to finish Kora's quest because I needed Praxis equipped and didn't realize it.

Vale's quest is one of the few I haven't done yet so I can't really help more than that, sorry.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does Awakening replace the unique monster battle theme? I mean Awakening is a cool song, but I like the unique monster theme too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

At this point the main thing I want is a Gold (Legendary? Level 3? w/e) Overclock, and 2-3 Gold Beta Scopes. I read to farm the former from the bunnits by the port in Tantal, and the latter from the huge red birds in the World Tree. Can anyone confirm that? I killed about 20 of the latter and got nothing of any use, and they die on the first driver smash so I don't really know how to try to drag more drops out of them. I still have (Chapter 7-8 spoiler, I forget which)Nia in blade form equipped with a chip that increases drops, too.

I got my gold beta scopes from the level 75 bat boss in Gormott

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does Awakening replace the unique monster battle theme? I mean Awakening is a cool song, but I like the unique monster theme too.

Yes, after Mythra awakens.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Man, fighting unique monsters, especially ones at or slightly above your level, is my favorite part of this game, which made the final couple chapters a treat. Some of the most entertaining non-boss combat, reminds me of the good parts of XCX

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Man, fighting unique monsters, especially ones at or slightly above your level, is my favorite part of this game, which made the final couple chapters a treat. Some of the most entertaining non-boss combat, reminds me of the good parts of XCX

I really appreciate the clever brilliance of the unique-enemy track's lead-in. Rather than a slow ramp-up or a fast-paced start, it's an absolutely chaotic riff that just perfectly captures the sense of "what the hell is going o-OH NO. NONONONO".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cNmgwQHgR4

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really appreciate the clever brilliance of the unique-enemy track's lead-in. Rather than a slow ramp-up or a fast-paced start, it's an absolutely chaotic riff that just perfectly captures the sense of "what the hell is going o-OH NO. NONONONO".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cNmgwQHgR4

Uncontrollable's still better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

You Will Know Our Names is still better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OfNgkxkM_o
:colbert:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

chumbler posted:

Uncontrollable's still better.

drat right. There's just nothing quite like that feeling of terror you get when your battle theme is suddenly replaced by Uncontrollable

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Awakening, You Will Know Our Names, and Uncontrollable are all great, but XC2's Boss Theme 2 is still my favorite XC battle music

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Awakening, You Will Know Our Names, and Uncontrollable are all great, but XC2's Boss Theme 2 is still my favorite XC battle music

Can you link that one? Youtube isnt being any help with "Boss Theme 2" specifically although a lot of the playlists there have deleted videos so maybe it was one of those.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

I got my gold beta scopes from the level 75 bat boss in Gormott

Ugh. I've killed that bat like 40 times since level 63 or so and got none of those :(

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

shortspecialbus posted:

Can you link that one? Youtube isnt being any help with "Boss Theme 2" specifically although a lot of the playlists there have deleted videos so maybe it was one of those.

https://youtu.be/pSkDqgTsUNw

I don't know why I love it, it's atypical jrpg boss music, but it's a fun, over the top guitar rock jam that really shows the game not taking itself seriously

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Ugh. I've killed that bat like 40 times since level 63 or so and got none of those :(

Seriously? It dropped like 40 of those things for me. Maybe they weren't gold, idr, but I was able to topple superbosses with it so w/e

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can go to the skyport in the world tree, where the long air bridge is and take the air current behind you up; from there you can pull one of the big flying bird things when it flies close to the platform. that's where i got my 3* beta scopes from.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

7th Perimeter Skyport has 2 Vay Taos right at the spawn point and I got a bunch of gold ones there in just a few minutes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, so it says when I hit a level 3 on a dude they get an orb of the colour that I hit them with.

What exactly do they look like? I'm kinda unsure if I'm actually doing this properly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You should see a...well, orb flying around the place. It's not a UI element until you start the Chain Attack.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Okay, so it says when I hit a level 3 on a dude they get an orb of the colour that I hit them with.

What exactly do they look like? I'm kinda unsure if I'm actually doing this properly.

they are colorful globes that orbit the enemy itself. easy to spot on small enemies, a pain in the rear end to see on large ones

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Natural 20 posted:

You need to have a level 3 chain, meaning something like Fire (level 1+), Water (level 2+), Fire (level 3+), in order. You should see something like Steam Explosion, a ton of damage, and then the enemy will have a red orb flying around them.

A level 3 special on its own will not set an orb.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Chapter 4 (edit: or, Chapter 6? Like most things in this game, I’m confused as hell) spoilers;

I now know how this game connects to Xenogears We finally see the very first gear (mech) of the universe, cementing this game as a prequel to Xenogears. In chapter 4 we see the proto-gear ROSA!

Played Xenogears then the first Xenosaga, this is my first Xeno game since then and while I’m really liking it, wish we had gears back.

Bird Law fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 18, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imagine if Xenogears was actually a finished game

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I didn't realize 'til much later that Xenogears ran out of money and time.

I just thought that Disc 2 decided to ditch the pretense of gaminess and mainline that crazy Xeno-plot straight into my veins.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

I didn't realize 'til much later that Xenogears ran out of money and time.

I just thought that Disc 2 decided to ditch the pretense of gaminess and mainline that crazy Xeno-plot straight into my veins.

It's funny because Xenosaga episode I ran into the exact same problem, only they decided to handle it differently. For Xenogears they decided to shotgun the rest of the plot to get it to fit into a single game, and for Xenosaga they decided to just end the first episode prematurely instead of rushing through the entire story (which ironically led to the series getting rushed and canned like 1/3 of the way through the plot)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm telling myself that's what happened with X as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

Seriously? It dropped like 40 of those things for me. Maybe they weren't gold, idr, but I was able to topple superbosses with it so w/e

I have plenty of the pink ones. Looking for gold ones because the pink ones seem pretty poo poo at getting breaks on superbosses. Was hoping gold was better.

emoji posted:

7th Perimeter Skyport has 2 Vay Taos right at the spawn point and I got a bunch of gold ones there in just a few minutes.

I killed those fuckers like 15 times too, including for I think Pyra's affinity at one point, and got like 2 of them total, 1 pink 1 blue :(

I'm just having really poo poo luck with these I guess.