Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I would like a Day in the Life of the Queen perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Slaan posted:

I would like a Day in the Life of the Queen perhaps
THAT is DEFINITELY too spoilery!

edit: day in the DEATH of a queen is probably fine
edit: vv haha

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 17, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Day in the Death of the Queen then :colbert:

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Dog Kisser posted:

Not updating today (obviously!) but want to do some book keeping - is there anything that needs art done, item or otherwise, that needs doing or that you want? I also want to update the fanart page with the several pages of it I've missed. Alternately, is there any general backstory or lore that you want OOC expansion on? I'm feeling creative but not like writing a whole update :P

Magda and her first Horde, Asskickers I think they were called? Let's hear more on them.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Gado!!!
Skill: Digging (+35) Climbing (+10)
HP: 1/2
Glory: 7->8
Mutation Countdown: [x] [ ] [ ]

With the Onager's first firing a dismal failure, Gado sighs. It had been worth the shot, and at least next time they probably wouldn't be firing around a weird hyper speed building Commander.

Shaking off his disappointment Gado goes on the move, the Captain had ordered them into combat and so he'd fight. Noticing Mason make a beeline toward the enemy Captain Gado follows suit, though he dives into the ground tunneling beneath the battle.

When Mason makes his flailing strike from the front, Gado pops up behind Pendelo and makes his own blow aimed at the back of a knee.

67 to hit Pendelo I forgot to add my weapon bonus on the roll, so corrected.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Dog Kisser posted:

Not updating today (obviously!) but want to do some book keeping - is there anything that needs art done, item or otherwise, that needs doing or that you want? I also want to update the fanart page with the several pages of it I've missed. Alternately, is there any general backstory or lore that you want OOC expansion on? I'm feeling creative but not like writing a whole update :P

Splut's new hammer, and his title on his portrait, please.

How about famous Töan Warlords? Who are our household name war heroes?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

How about famous Töan Warlords? Who are our household name war heroes?

:same:

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Cosmetic:

Name: Hob

HP 2/2

Glory: 4>5

Ritual Glory : 4>5

Skill: Singing (cooldown), Contortion (in use), Butterfly Riding

AJ_Impy posted:

Kill the enemy as a priority, the charger must wait."
"Better yet, get the enemy to kill themselves."

"Get the enemy to kill... Ah. Message received." Hob saluted smartly, nodded, and darted out the door, moving purposefully. Splut was so smart!

While running, he flipped open the flat pack compartment, checking Babi was safe and secure. Hey! This isn't Babi! This is a decoy, made from fabric and cloth! Hob smiled, Snodis was taking lots of precautions. It didn't feel good to be letting her down. But it was necessary.

The distance between the forge and the horse was crossed at a sprint. Not breaking stride, Hob slung his flat pack over its back and used the weight to lever himself up. "Hyah!" It was time to do something reckless.

The prize beast charged to the front lines, past the boars, past the chargers, leaping over some of the enemy horde. No, Hob could maybe take on one of these targets. What he was looking for was glorious failure.

And where else to find that but at the hands of a warlord? If he was correct, the horse would be killed from underneath him, sending him flying. Hurt? Of course. But also alive. And the chance of rampant infection would be gone.

As Jaune grew closer, Hob leaned back. Moving both legs to the horse's right side, twisting his legs unnaturally to hook- one at its middle and one near its neck, contorting his body sideways across its back, he left both his hand free for his bow. Precariously hanging off the horse's left flank. The beast launched for Jaune, hurling towards her, turning at the last second to

Time seemed to slow. The enemy warlord was an arm's length away from him, but he felt no fear. Only certainty. He was doing the right thing. Yes. The arrow flew from his bow, as he met her gaze for a fraction of a second. Failure was assured. But in that failure, success.

Point blank shot (reckless assault, close range).: 1d100+10+4+10+25+3 131-25=106 (removed banner as per below update).

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 22, 2018

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Squad: Infiltration
Skill: Sleuthing +20 (using), Watching +20 (used).
HP: 2/3
Glory: 10 ----> 11

Humbug pushed himself from the ground and spat mud and blood, wincing. He'd tried his best, but lying wasn't his forté - not like Splut. He shook his spinning head, and determined that there must've been an advanced boxing skillcore among the soldiers who'd jumped him. His teeth had the archtypical 'loose change' feel of meeting someone skilled in laying out wiseguys.

Oh well. The Sleuth brushed mud from his coat, and glanced around. He was still alive, and it wasn't like this was the first time he'd been roughed up a bit. He'd be fine! He just... he just needed to... sit down and wait until this painful headache went away, he realized. Somewhere in the throng of soldiers, he thought he heard Splut cry out something about not engaging the enemy Commander and attacking the cavalry, but all he could see was a Frömen bastard - which meant it couldn't be Splut. He wouldn't be stupid enough to ignore his own own advice and wear the mask twice over... would he?

Humbug eyed the Frö suspiciously, but he was too beat to make an issue of it right now. From where he sat, he at least had a fairly good view of the battlefield. The blue-flashing Jaune the Wall drew most of his attention, as she built a wall in seconds flat, holding Stårn's Siege Weaponry at bay, appropriately enough. But that wasn't all. It seemed like she was building or readying something... wait, what was she doing?

Ignoring orders this turn to observe Jaune.

The hell is Jaune up to? 1d100+20+10-10 (concussed) 54

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 18, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Name: Bamboo
HP: 1/2
Glory: 33 + 1 (Action Glory) > 34
Skills:
Virtuoso [READY]
Poor Decision Making [ACTIVATE]
Interior Decorating [COOLDOWN]

-[Oxnyard]-

Bamboo didn’t want to die.

Once again, a battle raged around her, and once again, her fellow hordlings were dying. Many had already fallen, and before this fight was done, many more would join them.

By the look of things, Bamboo would not survive this night, and, Bamboo didn’t want to die.

The orders from Grimper were clear; kill something, kill anything, in service of The Unexpectables. Well, what else would you expect from a Warlord. If only Bamboo could convince him there were other uses for The Horde.

Yeah, and maybe she could convince the Queen to will herself back to life.

Some were engaging in the fight. Others, trying their best attempts at subterfuge.

“And here I stand, known as perhaps the most blood thirsty, murderous, unstable psycho of the Horde, because I don’t want to die”.

It wasn’t that she was afraid; that time had long past. She just wanted to do more. To see the ‘job’ done all the way through to the end. To find the Queen’s murderer, and to bring him to justice.

Then, she can die and face the judgement of what awaits her in the beyond.

Bamboo would never get there though, because she had become too weak. The Oh Gees had exacted a terrible toll on her; those ‘flayed divots’ were still tender, and would probably always be so.

She had to get stronger. At any cost.

“My Queen, Oh Gees, or whatever else out there that may be listening, HEAR ME! I seek retribution for my murdered Family!! I will make a deal with you! NAME YOUR PRICE!!!

This was no doubt the Poorest of Decision Making; Bamboo didn’t want to die.

Action

> Bamboo seeks to ‘Power-Up’ by making a deal with whoever will listen.: 1d100+33+10+25 143 [1d100=75]

Dog Kisser posted:

Alternately, is there any general backstory or lore that you want OOC expansion on? I'm feeling creative but not like writing a whole update :P

If Bamboo survives, maybe you can expand on or bring in The Pawns? Even if Bamboo doesn't survive, perhaps my next character can be another surviving member?

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Task Manager posted:

Magda and her first Horde, Asskickers I think they were called? Let's hear more on them.

Yeah! Magda's backstory!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Held by a nailbound mook (only accessible during downtime, but in her possession):

Sucy
HP: 3
Glory: 23 -> 24
Skills: Mushrooms +15
Kicking +45
Fishing +10

Sucy watched the Önäger shot arc right towards the charging boars, only to be intercepted by Jaune's construction in the last second.
"Well, that was a giant waste of time, let's go and do something about that cavalry, shall we?"
With that Sucy jumped off the Önäger and began gathering five Nailbound who were seriously injured around her.
"All right you lot, you've felt the first charge, I don't think you want to experience a second one, do you? So, do you know what horses hate? Pointy stakes sticking out against them. Have any of you heard of the great battle of Ägincürt? Of course not, it's one of the few times that the Knights of Öxnyard were routed from a field. Want to know how that happened? The answer is easy: a ton of lovely pointy stakes lodged firmly in the ground that broke their charge. Luckily we have just the thing for that in our wagons, as we were issued a hundred pointy sticks when we set out for Frö. Now get out there, grab those sticks and set up a perimeter where we can fight them without getting charged down all the time."

Fishing five Nailbound mooks out of the army to set up stakes to break the cavalry charge: 1d100+10+23+10 111

While the Nailbound got to work, Sucy quickly dipped into the town, to see if there were any more materials she could requisition for her construction project.
However instead of materials, she found Bamboo, wailing on the ground and crying out to anyone who would listen:

quote:

“My Queen, Oh Gees, or whatever else out there that may be listening, HEAR ME! I seek retribution for my murdered Family!! I will make a deal with you! NAME YOUR PRICE!!!"
Sucy approached her from behind and responded: "Well, I don't know who else is listening, but I'll give you my shield for now, we can patch you up later, as long as you get out there and hand out a righteous rear end-kicking to these knights"
With that she offered Bamboo a hand and helped her up. "We'll get you through this, don't worry," while handing her Tuned Shield to Bamboo.
And she set off again to check the progress that the Nailbound had made with the stakes.
Finding the stakes planted to the best of the Nailbounds' abilities, Sucy gripped her Brüm tighter, observing the enemy cavalry that had now regrouped and was wheeling around for another charge at their position. This would require maximum effort. She grabbed her hair, pulled it back and twisted it into a knot that she secured with the OG Vault Key.

When they finally reached the Unexpectables' line, she exploded into a flurry of kicks and sweeps, trying to take out the horses legs, forcing them to stumble and fall and throw off their riders.
Attack the horsemen with kicks and sweeps: 1d100+45+23+10+1 87

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Noggins
Skillcores: Carpentry, Precision, Aiming, Leadership (Unconsumed)
Glory: 41->42
Ritual Glory: 4

It was easier, now that she was in motion. Fighting wasn't particularly hard. You blocked, you sidestepped, you swung--a particularly meaty thwack on a boar's flank this time--and you didn't have to think about what you were doing, about who you were fighting against, what you were fighting for. You just had to fight. There was no time for a complicated moral calculus. Her friends were in danger, and it was her duty to protect them.

Case in point, the enemy knights were currently demolishing their flank, the brutal momentum of their initial charge skewering some poor Tö wholesale on their lances, their grisly remains falling to the ground with a dull thud as the weapons were pulled free. At least, Noggins assumed that was what she'd be hearing, if it weren't drowned out by everything else going on. This was easy. There was a job to do, and she was going to see it done. She stepped back from the front lines against the boar, a mook rushing to fill her place, and began to sprint across the battlefield to provide sorely-needed support.

As she crossed the brawl with Pendelo, though, she slipped on blood-slick grass, going to the ground alongside the Forgemaster, who had just taken another hit from someone... had it been Gabber who had struck the blow? It was hard to tell. Still, for a brief moment, she found herself in close proximity with the smith, and before she fully realized what she was doing, she leaned in close to his ear as she began to get up.

"Stay down." she whispered, as loudly as she dared. "You're not going to accomplish anything if you get up again, not with *that* hammer. Play dead, get away when you can, try and evacuate the town if anyone's still there. We'll move through fast, and the town's going to need you for rebuilding. Please."

With that plea out of the way, her wounded conscience somewhat salved, she got to her feet, more steady than before. "Knights! Their cavalry's hitting our archers hard! It's time for us to do them one better! CHARGE!"

Lead the Countercharge on the Knights!: 1d100+41+10+5 148

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Name: Ringo!
HP: 4/4
Glory: 23>24
Skill: Pigilante Justice, Ventriloquism, Whistling+15 (cooldown)
Hotswap Skillcores: Kissing, Cross Stitching, Accuracy, Bee Keeping, Lifting +15, Lockpicking, Firestarting, Weaving +15, Avoiding Notice
Other: Rolls 10d100, may optionally reroll lowest

Oxnyard, Battle

Ringo couldn't help but be impressed with Pendelo. The giant smith was struggling long past the point of sense. This would only end with Pendelo's death, unless something changed. He doubted it would, and there were more important things for him to be doing than tearing down this Froman.

"I'd listen to Noggins, our own aspiring knight." Ringo brushed off Pendelo's grappling with fluid ease. "She's special, that one. She really cares about her virtues. I mean really." Thud. Thud Two more blows sailed past him and struck stacked lumber. "Me? I've only ever been in this for myself. I accept that now. So...so long. I have things to do."

With that, Ringo backflipped away from Pendelo, landing into a sprint towards the flank of the boar riders. There just wasn't time to moralize now. There wasn't time for regrets or self-reflection. Right now, there was only Himself, and the Warlord whose fealty he'd sworn himself to. And right now, Grimper needed some dead pigs.

Crash into the boars (Pigilante Justice): 10d100+10+23+2 552 [10d100=41, 5, 61, 57, 43, 29, 90, 86, 33, 72]

Reroll 5: 1d100 38

Total: 585 (plus whatever the banner is)

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

||
Name: Trinh
Skills: taxidermy(+50, corrupted), jumping(in use), Dodging(+25, cooldown)
HP: 1/1
Glory: 24 -> 25
Ritual Glory: 3

The boars had passed, Trinh had a moment to collect herself. Her life had been a mess since, well, since joining the horde, but especially since Nägel. But now, she was feeling a little better. She glimpsed at her blood covered hand. Working with animals had always calmed her down. But no time for reminiscing. The boars had been halted by the horde but over there the horseriders were skewering people left and right. A much higher priority target. As she ran across the chaos of the battlefield a voice caught her attention.

CourValant posted:

“My Queen, Oh Gees, or whatever else out there that may be listening, HEAR ME! I seek retribution for my murdered Family!! I will make a deal with you! NAME YOUR PRICE!!!

Trinh locked eyes with her for a brief moment. She was trying to focus on the battle, focus on what was real rather than the voices in the back of her head, but at that moment it all came back to her. Gado. What had become of him? Had the "procedure" been a success? Was he even alive? He had to be. The alternative was that Trinh might never learn if monsterism could make living works of art possible. But then again, even if he had been a failure, there was this person right here. Should she just go for it? With those words Bamboo was practically donating her body for science. Surely Grimper couldn't have any complains if it was an obvious accident. Surely... argh! There was no time for this. She couldn't stop now.

Trinh leaped over the horses with her arms spread wide. Time to sweep some riders off their mounts.

RECKLESS ATTACK on horseriders: 1d500+10+10+24+1 433

And that's without the banner. If its at 25 then the result is: 458

CourValant, want to see if Grimper will brand an "accidental" wendigo? :v:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sheep-dodger posted:

"Well, I don't know who else is listening, but I'll give you my shield for now, we can patch you up later, as long as you get out there and hand out a righteous rear end-kicking to these knights"

With that she offered Bamboo a hand and helped her up. "We'll get you through this, don't worry," while handing her Tuned Shield to Bamboo.

:love::love::love:

Thank you, we'll settle up later; I've already committed to the action this turn, so, I'm not going to change it for now. Let's see where this takes us.

Jvie posted:

CourValant, want to see if Grimper will brand an "accidental" wendigo? :v:

Hah! Thanks, and no. I'm just trying to see if DogKisser will let Bamboo power up Saiyan style at the cost of her soul or something.

The way I see it, at 1 HP, any attack by Bamboo will just outright get her killed, which, I realize is the point of the game. I'm just too attached to her to let her go without trying something 'off the wall'.

Let's see how this goes.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Cosmetics:

Skill 2: Amputation
Skill 3: Spinning+30
HP: 1/1
Glory 18

Qwäg flicked the horsechunks from her saw and grimaced. The line hadn't held, and she'd have many entries to amend tonight. Trinh had taken over her horse butchery with admirable dedication, so she turned a few of her eyes toward the milling throng of Fröman infantry. A clear and present danger, despite the pounding they'd taken, and one forsaken by much of the Horde in favor of more glorious targets.

The Risk was too great, she Assessed. They'd have to be dealt with. She howled a precise accounting of their formation's weakness to the mookly Hordlings near her, and let her Bōnsaw lead the way.

A Whole Bunch More Guys!: 1d500+50+18+2+10+25 436

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Name: Verika
HP: 2/2
Skills: Perception +15 (active), Keen Sight, Sniping +15 (cooling)
Equipment: Fröman Cuirass (+1), Iron Shield, Arrow Flatpack, Ornate Bowharp (+2), Fostis Ale
Cosmetics: Nail and Fist Token, Agenou's Cape Sash, Sikatris Scarf, Basker Cloak, Telescope
Glory: 10 -> 11
Ritual Chits: 18 -> 19 (artwork bonus)

Öxnyard (Part 4): Over the crashing din of warfare and the roar of mighty warbeasts, Verika heard a familiar voice ring out across the battlefield:

Captain Noggins posted:

"Knights! Their cavalry's hitting our archers hard! It's time for us to do them one better! CHARGE!"

That's right - the Captain needed her help in the army's counter-charge against the horsemen!

Verika leapt down from the horse-laden tree to rejoin her Captain and the other Knights in glorious combat on foot. She nocked several more arrows at once and let loose as she was running, releasing them mid-stride.

Verika Versus the Equestrian Enemy!: 1d100+15+10+10+2 125

Bob, weave, dodge, nock, duck, aim for the approaching rider's exposed right armpit, fire, jump, roll, nock, sidestep, aim for the rider's neck, fire, dodge, repeat as needed. It was easy, once you got into a frenetic rhythm with it all. The hardest part for Verika was trying her hardest not to hit the horses themselves. Unlike the boars, Verika thought, these horses were both handsome and noble creatures.

She would be riding on one these pedigree war steeds, Verika hoped, and soon.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 20, 2018

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Name: Neebs
Skill(s): Sales (+15) (used this turn), Drinking (+15) (on cooldown)
HP: 3/3
Glory: 4 + 1 posting glory => 5

Neebs had zero feel for how this battle was going to play out. She had been charging the boars with a group of Unexpectables and in the blink of an eye a wall appeared...only to be knocked down by falling siege ammunition. It was nice to know Starn had their backs; but, it set the entire group off of their charge for a moment, which was enough to give the boars the tactical advantage. The boars tore into their ranks, maiming many and killing a few. Neebs reach with the battlebrüm was long enough that she was able to knock back the boar who was closest to charging her, but she also found herself not in the front row of the melee anymore. Had she slowed down that much watching the failing siege wall?

All of a sudden...she just didn't see the point in this melee. These boars were stupid animals. They'd only attack while someone was driving them to attack. She had found herself caught in the moment and charged the closest enemies without thinking. Wiping out these boars was like making a effort to remove all of your opponent's pawns in chess. Not that she ever was good at chess, but she did know that was a losing strategy.

Perhaps it was momentary madness, or perhaps maybe she'd just had a little too much to drink before charging; but...she really just wanted to pitch a sale. drat this war and drat Grimper. Why hadn't the recruiters put her in logistics for the main armies?

These boars were never going to listen to her enticing words on the benefits of the Wonderbrüm. She decided to run towards the lady who had so quickly built the wall. If she could maybe sell a brüm to her...then...that would make everything better, right? If the enemy commander bought a brüm, then, the rest of her army wouldn't be far behind. Sales would sky-rocket just by making this one sale. She didn't see how she couldn't make an attempt.

Reckless brüm sales the enemy commander: 1d100+15+5+25 52 (skillcore + glory + banner)

As she got closer to Jaune, she slowed down and started ballyhooing about the virtues of the Wonderbrüm. "Why, see that pile of scrap you've got before you? It's a wonder this town is standing at all with so much detritus just lying about. This Wonderbrüm is the solution to all of your ills. It can sweep up dirt, clean up mud. You have a chimney? This can be used as a chimney sweep. You need to swipe at some poor rascal racoon that's gotten beneath the porch? The reach on this Wonderbrüm is just what you need to get it out of there without risking any of your precious limbs. It's got a bristle count much higher than other standard brüms; which allows the Wonderbrüm to pick up even the tiniest bits of dust. No longer do you need to go through with a mop after sweeping in order to get the floor fully clean. No, this Wonderbrüm is a one-stop shop for brüm cleaning purposes. But it's not just a brüm...it also..."

Neebs continued on with the sales-pitch until Jaune either bought a brüm or took some other action. Heck, for all she knew, Jaune was just going to ignore her, and let her keep extolling the amazing Wonderbrüm. That's ok...Jaune would cave eventually. One could only resist the lure of the Wonderbrüm for so long.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

While the Unexpectables fought and died, Magda dreamed of another Horde - the Asskickers. She'd first joined several decades back, when she was still relatively young and spry, back during the third Reign of Monsters. ROM3, they'd called it, and it was bullshit. The first ROM, that had been legendary - the original Monster, a Töan who'd risen to power with the help of a particularly fiendish bit of Oh-Gee reliquary, had lived up to her name. Her armies had razed the countryside, and she alone had been enough to hold off whole battalions. When the Hundred Spears finally managed to pierce her perfect body, she detonated with such force that she created the Sea of Monsters (thankfully a more pleasant place in Magda's time than way back then). The second ROM had been kicked off by her vengeful adopted son, his passionate rage sufficient to draw many of the old traitor Lords to his side. This same rage proved his undoing, and he died an ignominious death in a duel with Magda the Needle, the Nailmaster’s legendary namesake.

That had all been long before her time, but she'd been called to serve her country in the third ROM, against the original Monster’s great-great-great-great… great-nephew-twice-removed. Boxer was his name - Lord Boxer, to hear him tell it - and he barely deserved the name. The mighty blood of his family had thinned to water, and besides that he was a fool and a coward. But he remained wealthy, and canny enough to gather an army of fools and cowards behind him to challenge Queen Reina. Yes, the Queen had been radiant even back then, and remained so until her untimely demise...

She tossed fitfully in her sleep, her dream casting her far away from unhappy thoughts. Yes, Lord Boxer the Monster. The descendants of both the other Monsters wanted nothing to do with him, whether it was because they were permanently stained by association or because they'd become so fabulously wealthy that they felt no need to chance it, so he'd gone elsewhere. Mercenaries from Frö, cast offs from their own recent civil war, were willing to risk it for a share of good land and good pay… and besides, rumors were that the man had somehow found a fragment of his ancestor’s mad power.

Magda joined the Asskickers Horde under command of Warlord Frapper, a man who some years later would become Grimper's Progenitor - but for now, he was just Frapper. Tall and beastly, Magda recalled she had a bit of a crush on him that first day. He'd beaten that out of her soon enough, but the respect remained. Her Skillcore was Carving back then, untested and un-Resonated, and she wasn't at all sure how she could use it to help in the war effort. Her Warlord came to her personally during one practice as her hands shook gripping her cleaver. He crouched right down next to her and said “Magda, was it? There's precisely one difference between your enemy and a block of stone - stone doesn't move. Once you get past that, you'll find you can Carve them up just fine.”

And she did. She advanced through the ranks with her skill and her natural strength, and her Horde and others cut their way into the Monster's territory. She even fought against him once or twice directly. Er, not HER, specifically, but she saw him. Handsome, in a weasily way, marred by a completely ridiculous mustache and a preference for gold and ruby trim on his armor. One thing was for certain - he'd found a fragment of his great-great-aunt’s power… a fragment of her, in fact. One of her arms, mummified and Nail-pierced, was his sceptre, and it granted him unquestioned powers over the battlefield, over the very sky itself. The one saving grace was that he was absolute pants at wielding it effectively, and more often than not wounded his own men. He was a laughingstock, but a dangerous one, so they pursued him.
Over the course of the campaign, the Asskickers’ mood shifted from terror, to confidence, to tables reckless heroics… to dire annoyance. They'd made a name for themselves among the Hordes of Tö, and won far more than they lost… but when they lost, they lost family. Though the fool of a would-be-Monster kept being beaten down in gravely shameful ways, he would always come back, full of the bravado of the truly, truly stupid. At first they'd hated him for starting this war, and now they just hated his stupid gormless face. Over the six years of the war, Magda became Captain Magda the Carver, became Crusher Magda. She even Ascended a couple of times, though she sorely missed her Glory afterwards. She killed scores, took many lovers, and generally cut a bloody path with Frapper and her comrades towards Boxer.

And then, one day, he died. Some said he choked on a date. Some said he was betrayed by his own advisors. Some even said his grisly staff came to life and broke his pencil neck. Whatever it was, she hadn't been the one to do it. Just like that, they were called home. The Branded Wendigo in her Horde - the first ever fielded, conceived in an act of hopeless defiance - were executed and dissected, but the rest of them were free to live out their lives as heroes. She hated it. She'd come to study the art of the Ritual Nail, and due to some fragment of her old Skillcore grew quickly adept at carving and speaking the required codes and patterns into the brutal hunks of iron. With the war done, she was no longer needed - Nails were fashionable and attractive in post-war society, but she wasn’t about to enchant these weak dandies with Rituals like Star-Sparkling Eyes or Steps Light As Feathers. She packed up her kit in disgust and lived in hedonism until the money ran out - all too quickly.

Eventually, Warlord Frapper woke her from her death-seeking. His rosy eyes gleamed as he smiled down into her face. “Crusher Magda, Nailsmith Magda Who Was Once A Carver… the Asskickers have need of you again!” She sprang up and out of bed and kitted up with whatever she hadn’t sold or lost. She left everything else - but brought her Nails and her gear. There wasn’t a war, but the Queen had need of troubleshooters. Wendigos, Baskers, Raiders, all had grown bolder and widespread during the hangover of peace, and she needed a Horde she could trust. Magda never met her, but just once she caught a glimpse of her silky tresses as she turned to stride away from a meeting with her Warlord. She would cherish that forever. The Asskickers ranged across Frö (and Tö, when diplomacy and relations allowed for it), cleansing the land of filth and mutants and lawbreakers. It was good, and she felt blessed to ply her trade.

Frapper died of an internal error, aged one hundred and thirty five. He could have lived half-again as long, but the Breaker program that churned out the Warlords every few years was brutal, occasionally causing problems that could cascade into a failure long afterwards. Magda wept bitterly when he died, but only for a day - he did not believe in grief, did not believe in the pagan traditions that cared for the dead after death. His body was shattered, his Cores dispersed among the potential Warlords in the program. Magda disappeared again, and the Asskickers did too.

Last year, when the news of the Queen’s death had soaked through her gin-addled mind, she remembered her hair gleaming in the sunlight when the Asskickers had been honored. She rose without a word, found as many of the Asskickers as she could, and went south to take the fight to the Frömen. She’d loved and hated them over the years, killed some and kissed others, and she felt the keenest betrayal that they would take that light from her. She attacked the first patrol she came upon. Unfortunately for her, it was Commander Cornichon the East Wind’s. All too soon, her old Hordemates fell to the sharp spears of those a quarter of their age with a sixteenth of their experience. She just couldn’t hack it anymore, and when they took her battered old cleaver she just closed her eyes and waited. When she’d woken up, chained in that wagon, she’d wept for the first time since back then.

Then the Unexpectables had found her, and now she was here, deeper in their territory than ever, taking her fight to their door. Only, now she had people fighting for her. Maybe that would be enough. It would have to be.

She groaned in her sleep.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 19, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Let's... Let's do this for Magda :unsmith:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Someone make these ROM campaigns into games. Now.

Slaan posted:

Let's... Let's do this for Magda :unsmith:

Aye.

Madga, you too served in the Queen's 'Special Forces', what of The Pawns!!! :ocelot: :)

***** edit *****

Grammar.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 18, 2018

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Name: Brumble
Skills: Taking (using), painting(used)
Stuff: Dance-Fighter Garb, Reedblade, Mushbrëwm, Agenou’s Cape Sash, Basker Cloak, Valuables
Glory: 15

Standing up from where he'd been trampled ingto the ground, Brumble shakes loose the fragments of his shield.
"Well, that didn't work."
Shrugging, he faces the next wave of foes.
"Take two, here we go!"

Taking on a bunch of guys: 1d100+10+15+1 56

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
(Also a +1 Steel Chair weapon)

Name: Dack
Skills: A̵̕t̷͢͡͏̡h̷͟͡͏ļ̵̶̧̀ę̷̢͡t̨̧͘i̵̕҉̴͡c̢͘͜͠s͏̨́̕ (Using), Ą̀͠c̵̢͡͠͏r̴̸̛͝͡o͘͢͜͡b͜à̵̡̕t̷̢̀͜i̸̸͞c͘͟s̀͜͟, Laughing +25 (used last round)
HP: 1
Glory: 21>22

While Jaune flat ignoring him was rude, Dack was still a little relieved. Especially after he saw Jö suddenly become a coffin and an entire wall materializing out of nowhere in order to stop the siege team's attack. Perhaps it would be best to leave this to Grimper, and focus instead on the Horsemen.

Leaping from roof to roof when he can, and galloping across the ground when the buildings began to thin out, Dack quickly closes the distance between him and the cavalry. Just before crashing into them, Dack pulls out something that had caught his interest while they were raiding: a simple, foldable chair, but very well made. Maybe it had been made by one of the smiths from the defenders of Oxnyard, or maybe its owner had just found it lying around, but Dack liked the design of the chair, so he kept it under his shield until now.

Planting his feet into the ground and sliding to a stop in front of one of the Horsemen, Dack winds up and swings the chair, hopefully with enough force to unseat the rider. No need to harm the mount itself if they could afford it, and if everyone in the horde got a ride, it'd mean they could move faster when traveling, which meant he could move faster while they traveled!

Reckless Assault on Horsemen, homerun swing with the Steel Chair: 1d500+50+21+1+10 197

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did Magda get a good look at the special abilities of Cornichon and his horde?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Name: Gryph
Glory: 13 -> 14
Skill: Medicine (15), Wrestling (10), Slamming (10)

The boars charging past him, the squeal as Somno landed and the sheer adrenaline of killing something much larger than him spurred Gryph onwards. But as the Onagar fired, the enemy commander moved, and the boars survived to wreak havoc on the Horde. Screams and cries of pain were already rising on the plain, and Gryph hurried towards the bodies of the fallen and wounded, already searching in his pack of supplies for bandages.

A bandage there, a splint, or a stitching, the tools of the trade overtook him. Now was a time of healing, there in the blood-soaked mud. The screams of people fighting and dying were simply drowned out by the thudding in his ears. Idly, Gryph realised he was staring at the back of Gado, still manning the Onagar...

Bamboo posted:

The screams of Bamboo cut through the fog, and Gryph was moving before he knew. The diagnosis wasn't good. Bamboo clearly bleeding from a wound on the side, yet still screaming to the heavens for someone, anyone to help. Sucy had granted her tuned shield to the hurt To and Gryph's brow frowned at Trinh, staring at Bamboo with a quizzical look And then Gryph tackled Bamboo, his fingers already stitching and bandaging her wound.

"The Oh Gees help those who help themselves, To! You want Vengeance? GET UP AND FIGHT!"

HEALING (using bandages): 1d100+15+10+13 82,107 with banner.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pythag
HP: (3) of (3)
Skills:
* Math (charging)
* Headshotting (available)
* Fearlessness (using)
Equipment:
* Armor (+5)
* Iron Shield
* Bowharp
* Arrow Flatpack
Cosmetics
* Nail and Fist Token
Glory: 9>10
Ritual Glory: 1

The Lord of Hats posted:

"Knights! Their cavalry's hitting our archers hard! It's time for us to do them one better! CHARGE!"

His Captain's words cut through the battlefield like a hot knife through bütter. He abandoned the Onager, patting its wooden surface in a goodbye in case one of them didn't survive. His fearlessness skillcore hot, he sprinted towards the flashes of other Nail and Fist tokens in the melee. Verika's bow-work was cutting a swath, finding purchase in unarmored flesh. Shrugging his shield forward, he stepped up, covering her from any returning fire, bracing for the inevitable impact of horse and Tö.

Counter-charge the Horsemen: 1d100+29 = 122

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Name: Stårn
Additional skills: Butterfly Beastmaster, Timing +25
Glory: 33 -> 34

Even though the enemy Commander had totally ruined the moment, Stårn's love for Sieging could not be so easily broken. She had broken his beautiful, huge volley against the boars, had she? Well, could she break his beautiful, tiny volley against the horses too?

Stårn doubted it. Even if seeing her build a tiny wall would probably have been pretty funny.

He took to the air, gave the approaching cavalry an appraising glance, weighting the ammo stones in his hand to get a feel for their weight. They were charging in wedge formation. A couple rocks timed, and aimed at the front few guys might make them stumble and amplify the Sieging effect to the whole squadron.

Yes, that sounded good. All he had to do was time his shots perfectly...

Timing to launch a Tiny Önäger volley at the Horsemen at the perfect moment from the top of my breakerfly: 1d100+73=170

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 19, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Torchlighter posted:

"The Oh Gees help those who help themselves, To! You want Vengeance? GET UP AND FIGHT!"

Wow. Thanks!

I didn't realize you folks cared about little old Bamboo.

Awww Shucks.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Name: Somnö
Skills: BIGNESS +20 (using), Jumping +25 (cooldown), Smashing +10
HP 3/3
Gear: Ball and Chain (+1), Drummers Garb XXXL (+2), Iron Shield, Mushbrëwm, Jerky (not pictured)
Cosmetics: Nail and Fist Token
Glory: 11
Ritual Glory: 1

So did everyone forget to go after the cavalry last time? Maybe those horses should pick on someone their own size.

Somnö disengages from the warboars and uses her size to try to trip up some horses.

RECKLESS Assault on Attack the Horsemen, using BIGNESS, following orders.

Cause Calamity in the Cavalry with her Colossal Core: 1d100+20+11+10+1 73 (+25 flag bonus = 108!)

e: Adjusted attack in lieu of flag changes.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 22, 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Name: Hat
Skills: Millinery (+15), Backflips (+15)
Equipment: Spear (+1), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Mushbrëwm, Wagnag Jerky[?]
Glory: 31 -> 32

The fire caught quickly. The screams followed very soon afterwards. Hat stared at the flames billowing around the doorframe, then turned and ran back to the Horde. As she ran, doubts started to form in her mind. She didn't know who or what was inside that building, for certain. For all she knew, that was Öxnyard's creche she just burned down, condemning some Fröan children to perish in the flame. Was it so dissimilar to the infected horse plan she'd blanched at just moments before?

These dark thoughts were quickly abandoned at the sight of the battlefield. Many bodies lay on the ground, getting trampled by boar and horse and soldier alike. Hordemembers had fallen in battle here! No mercy to the enemy! There'd not been much time to practise shield-and-spear combat on the march to the ranch, but Hat was sure she'd figure it out soon enough. She looked for the nearest Fröan soldier, readied her weapon, and backflipped into the air.

Attacking A Whole Bunch More Guys with Backflips: 1d100+32+15+1 115

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Skills:Spreading Disease (+15), Cursing[CD]
Glory: 8

A loud "gently caress!" echoed through the Unexpectable ranks. Grumbus was so excited about the Önäger that he was chanting "Siege! Siege! Siege!" as it fired and that jerk enemy commander went and no-sold it! Oh well, no sense dwelling on it. There would be other, better opportunities to fire the thing and Grumbus had new orders anyway. His throat was raw from shouting at the nailbound, so he popped a lozenge and sucked on it contemplatively, considering the best way to carry out his boss's orders.

That weird big guy with the tiny hammer was taken care of already, and his rats would have trouble with the cavalry, so Grumbus decided to go after the infantry. He uncinched the rat bag and hucked it into their ranks. Grumbus noted that he probably wouldn't have been able to do that a couple of months ago. Maybe there was something to this whole army thing; he was getting yoked despite himself.

Spreading Disease to huck that sack!: 1d100+35 90

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Yo yo, planning to update tomorrow, small updated about the banner:
this

is now

More specifically: Reckless actions will add +1 to the total Banner bonus. The bonus will apply to the total roll of groups of 5 or more!

I'll calculate it based on that for the update tomorrow, so if that changes your plan... edit quick!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dog Kisser posted:

Yo yo, planning to update tomorrow, small updated about the banner:
this

is now

More specifically: Reckless actions will add +1 to the total Banner bonus. The bonus will apply to the total roll of groups of 5 or more!

Can we get clarification on this? Does this mean that the Banner Bonus no longer applies to solo actions? Only actions that have 5 or more Hordlings committed to its execution?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

CourValant posted:

Can we get clarification on this? Does this mean that the Banner Bonus no longer applies to solo actions? Only actions that have 5 or more Hordlings committed to its execution?

Yes, that exactly. The issue was that being boosted by every successful attack AND applying to every attack meant that it was scaling extremely quickly and becoming way too powerful. For instance, this round it would have been adding +25 to every reckless attack, which is rather a lot, and that means the many reckless attacks happening THIS round would succeed, further enhancing it. It's supposed to be a powerful item, but not, like, a game winning item.

I am not a particularly clever man, not do I consider the implications of mechanics with enough rigor - that means sometimes I need to slam the brakes sometimes and change stuff. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

drat those OGs! They drive me to drink!

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
RIP me

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You can change your action if you want! Or you could just be a risky dudette. She can't kill you, after all, she only deals 2 damage.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Kill you are gob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Dog Kisser posted:

You can change your action if you want! Or you could just be a risky dudette. She can't kill you, after all, she only deals 2 damage.

We are both safe from death! But not safe from damage ;_;

Edit: until we die from inevitable spillover dmg

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 22, 2018