Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have to admit, I'm actually really bummed at losing other FTL methods. However, I think that's because of what I wish the game was more than what it's trying to be. I wish we had a game that was maybe a bit more... simulationist isn't the right word, but closer to those lines than an event driven 4X. SimCity + Vicky II (+ inspirations from other things) in space where the FTL methods help set different races apart. But as it is (or was at release) the game needed to pick something like hyperlanes to really get the systems and gameplay style it decided to use working properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I have to admit, I'm actually really bummed at losing other FTL methods. However, I think that's because of what I wish the game was more than what it's trying to be. I wish we had a game that was maybe a bit more... simulationist isn't the right word, but closer to those lines than an event driven 4X. SimCity + Vicky II (+ inspirations from other things) in space where the FTL methods help set different races apart. But as it is (or was at release) the game needed to pick something like hyperlanes to really get the systems and gameplay style it decided to use working properly.

Yeah, it seems like heavy simulation has really gone out of fashion in game design for whatever reason. I mean I get that board game style mechanics are easier to intuitively grasp, but sometimes I like having a game world that is actually beyond my ability to fully comprehend it and interacting with it as the inhabitants would rather than mastering every system. If they are sticking with the 4X model though, then hyperlane only is the most logical choice to make for the game to have any sort of strategic warfare. I do like the fact that it will lead to systems being strategically important because of hyperlane geography, rather than what I'd often find where I'd have these huge gaps of nothing in my empire just because there weren't any planets worth colonizing.

I'm surprised more games haven't gone the Alpha Centauri route of having a sci-fi strategy/4X game that's based on an alien planet rather than always being in space. There are a lot more things you can do at that scale because things like terrain are much more meaningful than "This is an ice planet", and land-based colonization/warfare is something that's a lot easier for people to grasp intuitively because you know, it's just like on Earth rather than "It's kind of like a giant ocean, and that's not really a great comparison but it's the best we've come up with"

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 9, 2018

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Prav posted:

i want the guy who added it to a playlist to tell us what the hell else is on there

mostly Get Out Frog meme vids

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
A fort system like euiv and more attrition / less wholesale "lose a fight lose the war" would be fun.

I would love for there to be wormholes but it's maybe a super expensive one way trip that you can use to skip one layer of defences.

And warp speed? Why not keep it but make it hilariously slow?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, it seems like heavy simulation has really gone out of fashion in game design for whatever reason. I mean I get that board game style mechanics are easier to intuitively grasp, but sometimes I like having a game world that is actually beyond my ability to fully comprehend it and interacting with it as the inhabitants would rather than mastering every system.

Have you played MEIOU & Taxes yet? Because that's precisely what you want, granted in EU4 rather than Stellaris.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Affi posted:

A fort system like euiv and more attrition / less wholesale "lose a fight lose the war" would be fun.

I would love for there to be wormholes but it's maybe a super expensive one way trip that you can use to skip one layer of defences.

And warp speed? Why not keep it but make it hilariously slow?

jump drives will now allow for limited warp-style jumps to bypass chokepoints and such

after the rework, FTL will work basically exactly the same as it does in EVE Online. there are hyperlanes that must be physically traveled to in-system; wormholes that lead to a fixed random location; and jump drives to cut through enemy defenses from an unexpected direction.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Will natural wormholes be fixed or appear and disappear at random over the course of the game?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Jazerus posted:

jump drives will now allow for limited warp-style jumps to bypass chokepoints and such

after the rework, FTL will work basically exactly the same as it does in EVE Online. there are hyperlanes that must be physically traveled to in-system; wormholes that lead to a fixed random location; and jump drives to cut through enemy defenses from an unexpected direction.

You'll also be able to reactivate ancient alien warp gates at mid-game, and build your own at high tech levels.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

You'll also be able to reactivate ancient alien warp gates at mid-game, and build your own at high tech levels.

It'd be really cool if these warp gates connect to an otherwise inaccessible constellation of systems that comprise a precursor empire. Choked full of automated defenses and biological horrors.

Rather than just straight shortcuts.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Demiurge4 posted:

It'd be really cool if these warp gates connect to an otherwise inaccessible constellation of systems that comprise a precursor empire. Choked full of automated defenses and biological horrors.

Rather than just straight shortcuts.

That would be really cool, just make sure no other events can trigger on any of the inaccessible planets.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Trying to hand convert a CK2 game to EUIV, running into a problem. When I change rulers in each country files, I add an heir, and when the game is loaded to the country select screen, they show up. But then, none of them are present in the actual game. Any ideas what is causing this, and how I should edit the heir entries in the files to make them show up?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Trying to hand convert a CK2 game to EUIV, running into a problem. When I change rulers in each country files, I add an heir, and when the game is loaded to the country select screen, they show up. But then, none of them are present in the actual game. Any ideas what is causing this, and how I should edit the heir entries in the files to make them show up?

It's been a long time since I've done such things in an EU, but are their ages/starting dates/equivalent set properly? I seem to remember that being a problem for me in the past (though I don't remember if that was CK2 to EU3 or the official CK2 to EU4 converter in its early days).

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

idhrendur posted:

It's been a long time since I've done such things in an EU, but are their ages/starting dates/equivalent set properly? I seem to remember that being a problem for me in the past (though I don't remember if that was CK2 to EU3 or the official CK2 to EU4 converter in its early days).

I finally got an heir to work, apparently they need a death date in order to show up in game, without it they glitch out. Strange.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can I get a recommendation for a Darkest Hour mod that adds a bunch of events and options and stuff like Kaiserreich but doesn't change the timeline so drastically?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I dunno if that really exists. The only thing I can think of with Kaiserreich-tier effort is, uh, Kaiserreich.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow Wiz has been at Paradox for 5 years already! Seems just like yesterday he was posting here complaining about how he would never get to work at a place like PDS.

Congrats Wiz :toot:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, congrats on achieving the dream (of people in this thread)!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

great job getting into game development, have fun never sleeping dumbfuck

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Agean90 posted:

great job getting into game development, have fun never sleeping dumbfuck
Hahahaha, looks like someone doesn't know how the Nordics work~

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hahahaha, looks like someone doesn't know how the Nordics work~

"work"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Alikchi posted:

Yeah, congrats on achieving the dream (of people in this thread)!

one day :pray:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 15, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm holding out for the day Paradox realizes that what they really need is an ideas guy who can tell them to make V3.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mantis42 posted:

I'm holding out for the day Paradox realizes that what they really need is an ideas guy who can tell them to make V3.

"more genocide"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Can't exactly say that our buddies at Pdox have been slacking content wise

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Can't exactly say that our buddies at Pdox have been slacking content wise

oh yeah? Well where is the dang hoi4 dlc then??

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Senor Dog posted:

oh yeah? Well where is the dang hoi4 dlc then??

Isn't that next week? Why would you play HoI4 instead of DH???

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Beamed posted:

Isn't that next week? Why would you play HoI4 instead of DH???

I was going to make a very biting quip but realized that I play Victoria 2 way too much to be credible, so consider yourself lucky.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I don't get the hate for HoI4 in this thread, it's a decent enough game, yes the AI could be better but then we'd all start complaining about cheating AI. And unlike EU4 it is still in a state where DLCs actually improve the game. The next HoI4 DLC, for which we have no release date yet (?) looks pretty amazing.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So, remember the government sim I mentioned here previously? We are currently running municipal elections, and could use more players willing to run independently or join a minor party. If you have even the slightest bit of interest in sci-fi post-revolutionary politics, feel free to stop by.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Tahirovic posted:

I don't get the hate for HoI4 in this thread, it's a decent enough game, yes the AI could be better but then we'd all start complaining about cheating AI. And unlike EU4 it is still in a state where DLCs actually improve the game. The next HoI4 DLC, for which we have no release date yet (?) looks pretty amazing.

The first few times I played hoi4 I managed to win WW2 as Germany, the uk, and the soviet union on my first tries easy as piss. The game just wasn't challenging at all. I've dipped into it a few times since but always came away disappointed. A month or two ago I decided to give the game another go. I had a look at mods that were non gameplay altering, changes to counters, strategic views, production screens etc. I decided to give the vanilla game a quick blast first, started as Japan in 1939 because they're already balls deep in war with China. I decided to play for only a few months so I didn't bother setting any research, pissing about with production or recruiting new divisions/ships/planes etc. I just organised my armies into a few groups, drew a few lines and then watched. I won the war in under a year doing basically gently caress all. Tried again with some graphical mods installed to test them out, same poo poo as before and whilst the war played out a bit differently I still won it in around a year with basically gently caress all effort and not bothering with research/production/recruitment. It's piss.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

cool new Metroid game posted:

The first few times I played hoi4 I managed to win WW2 as Germany, the uk, and the soviet union on my first tries easy as piss. The game just wasn't challenging at all. I've dipped into it a few times since but always came away disappointed. A month or two ago I decided to give the game another go. I had a look at mods that were non gameplay altering, changes to counters, strategic views, production screens etc. I decided to give the vanilla game a quick blast first, started as Japan in 1939 because they're already balls deep in war with China. I decided to play for only a few months so I didn't bother setting any research, pissing about with production or recruiting new divisions/ships/planes etc. I just organised my armies into a few groups, drew a few lines and then watched. I won the war in under a year doing basically gently caress all. Tried again with some graphical mods installed to test them out, same poo poo as before and whilst the war played out a bit differently I still won it in around a year with basically gently caress all effort and not bothering with research/production/recruitment. It's piss.

If you want a challenge, see if you can get the "Crusader Kings 2" achievement.

I'd also comment that defeating China as Japan is one of the easier match-ups in the game, and is getting heavily revised in like a month because Japan has it too easy. You're right, though, the AI makes the game easier than it should be.

Gort fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 15, 2018

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The AI is usually bad, but then when i do my usual post major patch france game it'll sometimes be good. like when i sent a force to scandinavia to try and force them out of there and it turned it to a running retreat/delaying action as i desperately tried to get my dudes back to a port to ship back out and it was the most intense bit of hoi4 i'd played in while

after that i broke the stalemate in europe, advanced like 3 provinces and then the germans bled themselves dry attacking my lines but still, that and the subsequent invasion of japan made that game memorable for me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, the AI is good at throwing its army at you in a frothing berserker rage. If that works (which it can when their forces are superior to yours), it can appear pretty competent. If it doesn't work, it appears utterly incompetent and you end up with 10:1 casualty ratios or worse.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gort posted:

Yeah, the AI is good at throwing its army at you in a frothing berserker rage. If that works (which it can when their forces are superior to yours), it can appear pretty competent. If it doesn't work, it appears utterly incompetent and you end up with 10:1 casualty ratios or worse.

It's great when there are gaps in the line, like the Spanish Civil War or something. Human players will tend to get overwhelmed by all the breakthroughs.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Enjoy posted:

It's great when there are gaps in the line, like the Spanish Civil War or something. Human players will tend to get overwhelmed by all the breakthroughs.

I feel like that's the only situation that it reasonably comes up in; that or the player fighting an enemy that completely out classes them. Otherwise, the line builder makes sure that there aren't any gaps in the line.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hoo doggy. I was at the groundfloor for Stellaris and I got into CK2 circa Old Gods, but I just tried out EUIV without all the DLC and uhhh, it's pretty loving bizarre at times, because I've been watching the dev streams and the amount of stuff missing is just bizarre

Like, I can't interact with subjects, develop my provinces and so on. Don't even know if I can transfer occupations

Meanwhile, EUIV has by far the most amount of DLC and almost all of it at the 20bux level. What the heck

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
I've been casually doing some personal modding for KR 1.8, mostly tech teams but a few leaders too, and now the cumulative changes are fairly extensive and some of the countries I added to have really dire tech teams normally.

For example, https://imgur.com/qc7jK0Y

Haven't fully sanity checked them all yet, or made sure wake/sleepteam events reference the proper ID in a default 1.8 install, but if there's someplace I can upload to or someone to give a link when I get everything done, that'd be great.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 16, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Holy loving hell is it annoying that none, literally none of the Paradox games I have seem to think that "Attack this loving army" and not "Just walk where they were" is something I should be able to tell my armies to do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Holy loving hell is it annoying that none, literally none of the Paradox games I have seem to think that "Attack this loving army" and not "Just walk where they were" is something I should be able to tell my armies to do.

Yeah the lack of a "chase this army" order is something that's annoyed me for a while, especially in something like CK2 where you often just have one big doomstack wandering around playing tag with enemy armies who always know the exact fastest route they can take to escape from a province before you can get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Good news, this is a feature in Stellaris!