Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I bought some plain old nori today and the bag has the most :psyduck: importer's label I have ever seen, suggesting that due to the high iodine content, if you ate more than one gram a day you might as well be sipping straight adrenochrome, and even for that one gram recommending that you boil it for an hour, changing the water twice in that time.

How would you even strain one gram of anything without completely losing it in the strainer? Who comes up with this poo poo?

The reason I bought them is I want to start making onigiri for lunch again regularly and I'd love to hear some suggestions for fillings. Actually also general tips on getting them right, a good filling/rice ratio and such. I have a mold and in the past I've struggled a bit both with overfilling it and not having enough filling in the onigiri. Now that I think about it that seems like both problems have the same cause :v:

Wait, do you mean nori in the sheets that one uses for sushi? Why do you have to boil them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yes and that's what I'd like to know. It's the most insanely out of touch with reality set of preparation instructions I've ever seen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did it maybe confuse nori with konbu?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

Did it maybe confuse nori with konbu?

Dried seaweed of all kinds is pretty light. According to this, https://examine.com/nutrition/how-can-i-safely-consume-seaweed/ , you need to eat 10-20 grams of Kombu (the most iodine rich) to see any danger. I think that warning might be more for people with iodine sensitivites.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For science, I tried to follow the instructions to the letter, and was going to take pictures to document the process, but it pretty much went like I expected, only much quicker. Didn't even get to bring it to a boil before it started disintegrating and the cleanup of all those little wet flakes of seaweed stuck to my strainer was exactly as much of a pain in the rear end as I thought.

If you boil dried seaweed, at best you get tea; if you strain it afterwards you won't even have that to show for; and if you're iodine sensitive you can't have dried seaweed and that's your lot.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My Lovely Horse posted:

For science, I tried to follow the instructions to the letter, and was going to take pictures to document the process, but it pretty much went like I expected, only much quicker. Didn't even get to bring it to a boil before it started disintegrating and the cleanup of all those little wet flakes of seaweed stuck to my strainer was exactly as much of a pain in the rear end as I thought.

If you boil dried seaweed, at best you get tea; if you strain it afterwards you won't even have that to show for; and if you're iodine sensitive you can't have dried seaweed and that's your lot.

I think I might know what went wrong but any chance you could post photos of the package?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo! First Japanese curry ever. Carrots, onions, potatoes, edamame... S&B Golden...
A dash of the no beef beef base from better than bouillon. Hershey’s bar, garlic, fresh ginger, healthy pinch of sharp cheddar, one splash of Worcestershire. Finish with a dash of soy and a healthy squirt of sriracha for heat.

I’m
In
loving
Heaven!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sounds like you're doing it right.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Stringent posted:

Sounds like you're doing it right.

Man, I had leftovers of it today. God drat it's so good! And this is coming from someone who has never really had an opinion one way or another about curries in general.

It's my new favorite.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hershey bar? Cheddar cheese?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

tex mex mole by way of japan

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It sounded weird to me, too... but I tried the S&B prior to adding just to get an idea of it without and it felt... more 1 dimensional and a little “flat.”

It really made it sing!

[Edit] The chocolate doesn’t make it chocolatey, it just gives it a low-end rounded out sweetness.

And apparently they (Japanese) often will put grated cheese on top at serving, (so I read, anyway...) so mixing it in isn’t that odd. That just gives it a nice salty zing.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 20, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is one of the better curry places in Tokyo: https://en.japantravel.com/tokyo/moyan-curry/22965

They've got a bit on what goes into their base:

quote:

Their curry base uses a combination of vegetables and fruit, such as onions, carrots, celery, apples, bananas, tomatoes, garlic and mangoes along with extra virgin olive oil, as well as a unique combination of 25 spices paying homage to Moyan's Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Nepalese and even Italian influences.

Slow cooked over 2 days and then matured over 2 weeks, the resultant curry makes for a powerful flavour full of healthy goodness.

Whereas most curries use a combination of flour and butter to add thickness, Moyan curry uses minimal flour, as well as extra virgin olive oil and the thickness provided by the sheer quantity of vegetables and fruit used in the reduction process.

At Moyan, specially purified water through a ceramic filter is used in their cooking and all their drinks, and mineral-loaded Uminosei sea salt from Izu Oshima island also provides a signature nod to Moyan's roots and inspiration from island culture.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Does anyone have a good technique for making the omelet part of omurice? I have a decent recipe for the rice itself now, but the egg kind of eludes me. I've tried continuously pushing my spatula through it like Cooking with Dog recommends, but it never quite comes out right.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Which part is eluding you exactly? What's not coming out right?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Stringent posted:

Which part is eluding you exactly? What's not coming out right?

Basically, the 'covers the entire portion of rice' part. I can't get it flat, I get a rounded tucked-together shape or the eggs split into pieces rather than remaining as one big omelet.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Following this recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJlmhoYNfI

The main thing that comes to mind is to ask if you're using a teflon pan. This is one of the things where you almost need a teflon pan to do it right. Can do it in cast iron, but it's considerably trickier. Other than that, vOv

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Stringent posted:

Following this recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJlmhoYNfI

The main thing that comes to mind is to ask if you're using a teflon pan. This is one of the things where you almost need a teflon pan to do it right. Can do it in cast iron, but it's considerably trickier. Other than that, vOv

That's exactly the recipe, and I'm using a Teflon pan. I wonder if the shape of the pan has anything to do with it, since mine is shaped a bit more like a wok...

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I just do an easy french omlette, set it on top of the rice mix i form in a small bowl. You cut it gently down the middle and it should open up inside out, so the runny center is on the top. Give it some demiglace, and you're golden. Cooking with dog version seems more complicated than it has to be, and kinda dry. Work on making good omelets, and just put one on top.

Like this: https://youtu.be/s10etP1p2bU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Thought for sure the link would be to this.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Tampopo knows what's up.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I saw fresh shiso today and was so excited that I immediately bought a bunch. Now I'm remembering that only I like it and my husband won't eat it, and it's a big bunch that I can't finish before it gets icky. Any suggestions (preferably not as an accompaniment to rice)?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I saw fresh shiso today and was so excited that I immediately bought a bunch. Now I'm remembering that only I like it and my husband won't eat it, and it's a big bunch that I can't finish before it gets icky. Any suggestions (preferably not as an accompaniment to rice)?

Shiso pesto is really tasty.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hallo spacedog posted:

Shiso pesto is really tasty.

Oooh, good idea. With pine nuts, or do you suggest something else?

E: I guess I could also put some in a small batch of kimchi.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shiso as a compound butter is dope

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oooh, good idea. With pine nuts, or do you suggest something else?

E: I guess I could also put some in a small batch of kimchi.

Pine nuts work well as do walnuts.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Deez nuts.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Compound butter is good. I like shiso and katsuobushi compound butter for red meat. Whatever you have left, you can flavor some oil with. You can kinda stuff them like dolmas. It goes well ripped up in tons of japanese food like namatamago kake gohan. It's also part of one of the "easiest" ways to eat natto. Put natto on rice, pick up rice and natto with the shiso leaf and down the hatch.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
First try at aji tamago, overcooked it a bit.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Compound butter is good. I like shiso and katsuobushi compound butter for red meat. Whatever you have left, you can flavor some oil with. You can kinda stuff them like dolmas. It goes well ripped up in tons of japanese food like namatamago kake gohan. It's also part of one of the "easiest" ways to eat natto. Put natto on rice, pick up rice and natto with the shiso leaf and down the hatch.

I cannot find natto around these parts. :smith; Well, I probably could find it at the Japanese food store, but prices are kind of insane.

Has anyone here made their own natto? How bad did it stink things up?

Shiso dolmadakia is an incredibly amazing idea, thank you.

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005
I've made natto several times using a dehydrator. The kitchen just smelled like cooked soy beans to me. I don't think natto smells bad, so it's possible the kitchen stunk, but then again, no one complained. :shrug: If you're worried about the smell, maybe try putting it in an enclosed container while it's fermenting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Can I just make oyakodon in bulk up to but not including the part where you pour the egg on top, the fridge/freeze and take out individual portions to reheat and then finish up?

e: While I'm at it, does anyone have a bangin curry recipe for curry like the stuff at restaurants like cocoichi or curry wa nomimono? The really dark stuff with no vegetables or meat in it that you can use as a base for putting stuff in.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 30, 2017

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

gamingCaffeinator posted:

That's exactly the recipe, and I'm using a Teflon pan. I wonder if the shape of the pan has anything to do with it, since mine is shaped a bit more like a wok...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeeTvatu6fk

AnonSpore posted:

Can I just make oyakodon in bulk up to but not including the part where you pour the egg on top, the fridge/freeze and take out individual portions to reheat and then finish up?

e: While I'm at it, does anyone have a bangin curry recipe for curry like the stuff at restaurants like cocoichi or curry wa nomimono? The really dark stuff with no vegetables or meat in it that you can use as a base for putting stuff in.

that's... basically just thin chicken soup at that point so I don't see why you couldn't.

The "really dark" curry is still gonna have vegetables/meat in it to start with. You just strain it out. But this https://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/04/26/take-it-from-a-native-recipe-for-delicious-japanese-curry-as-found-at-coco-ichiban/ is about the closest I've come to that color. In all honesty I just usually lazily use golden curry blocks and say gently caress it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I made the roast beef recipe from Cooking With Dog, except with beef broth instead of dashi stock (and my usual substitution of dry vermouth instead of cooking wine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wLrpOhqbJc

Rareness aside, it came out really well. I'll need a meat scale to ensure my cut is the proper size next time.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I made the roast beef recipe from Cooking With Dog, except with beef broth instead of dashi stock (and my usual substitution of dry vermouth instead of cooking wine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wLrpOhqbJc

Rareness aside, it came out really well. I'll need a meat scale to ensure my cut is the proper size next time.

Do you check for doneness by stabbing it with a metal poker and sensing the temp with your lips?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you check for doneness by stabbing it with a metal poker and sensing the temp with your lips?
I did that with my meat thermometer, in fact.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The "really dark" curry is still gonna have vegetables/meat in it to start with. You just strain it out. But this https://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/04/26/take-it-from-a-native-recipe-for-delicious-japanese-curry-as-found-at-coco-ichiban/ is about the closest I've come to that color. In all honesty I just usually lazily use golden curry blocks and say gently caress it.

This turned out great except it changed color once I put it in the fridge. Still tastes fine but I can't figure out why that happened.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I tried to make a cold soba inspired noodle dish the other night and it went very poorly.

I boiled a pack of ramen noodles and drained them then put them in the fridge and then put homemade teriyaki sauce over them and let them sit for an hour in fridge.

First of all I made my sauce way too sweet and cutting it with lime didn’t help for poo poo.

Second the flavor was just so overwhelming and dominant. I want to try to improve on it but idk what to do.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I tried to make a cold soba inspired noodle dish the other night and it went very poorly.

I boiled a pack of ramen noodles and drained them then put them in the fridge and then put homemade teriyaki sauce over them and let them sit for an hour in fridge.

First of all I made my sauce way too sweet and cutting it with lime didn’t help for poo poo.

Second the flavor was just so overwhelming and dominant. I want to try to improve on it but idk what to do.

If you're looking to make the more traditional broth/dipping sauce that goes with soba, you wanna look at making mentsuyu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I did the most marginal of Google searches and apparently chocolate and cheese in curry might actually be a thing:

https://macaro-ni.jp/41255

https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q14179687204?__ysp=44Kr44Os44O8IOODgeODvOOCug%3D%3D

It's not unheard of, as far as I can tell. Chocolate is already used in things like beef stews, so that makes sense...still don't know what's up with the cheese though.