Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You just print a stencil and overlay it over the cardboard

Labo is going to drag an entire generation out of the learned helplessness imposed by computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
loving Nintendo forcing me to teach my children to care after their stuff and/or actually play with them. loving fuckers. The bastards. How could they?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's a thing for kids, that's cool. I don't mind; announcing a cardboard thing is a fair tradeoff from "TWEWY is back, real Mario Tennis is back, Dark Souls portable" and we are likely getting a full Direct next month anyways

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Det_no posted:

loving Nintendo forcing me to teach my children to care after their stuff and/or actually play with them. loving fuckers. The bastards. How could they?
Ahh, you don't have children I see.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There is no way they aren’t developing a Lylat Wars/Star Fox with this in mind unless they’re complete morons.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You just print a stencil and overlay it over the cardboard

Where do i put the 70 dollars? My rear end is already full of joycon

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Det_no posted:

This just in: Kids are clumsy. To prevents kids from intentionally or accidentally destroying things, Durability Is Good. That's why you don't hand kids a tablet without a good rubber case.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
LABBO

LABBO

LABBO!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

*Puts cardboard in a rubber case before handing it to a child*

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

My 78yo dad's reaction to Nintendo Labo: "I was born 70 years too soon." :3:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Honestly, THe Labo does look interesting. I wanna see it in action more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got a big pile of cardboard I'll sell you guys for half the price of labo. Pre order and I'll throw some used coffee grounds and a banana peel in there for free.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FZeroRacer posted:

This just in: Kids are clumsy. To prevents kids from intentionally or accidentally destroying things, Durability Is Good. That's why you don't hand kids a tablet without a good rubber case.

Counter-point: Kids could break loving dwarven forged mithril, making poo poo out of a cheap to replace/repair material is smart and good.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Who gives a poo poo about durability, it's a miracle if my kids play more than 5 minutes with a toy.

My daughter will love these but spend more time just talking about them than playing with it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
How will this all be represented in Smash Bros?

I'm not saying it can't I mean we have a Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B. and a bunch of Miis I'm genuinely anticipating how this gets represented in the next Smash.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a.lo posted:

LABBO

LABBO

LABBO!

All the kids in springfield are sobs

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hand Row posted:

Who gives a poo poo about durability, it's a miracle if my kids play more than 5 minutes with a toy.

My daughter will love these but spend more time just talking about them than playing with it.

It's $70. The parents paying might care about durability.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

I've got a big pile of cardboard I'll sell you guys for half the price of labo. Pre order and I'll throw some used coffee grounds and a banana peel in there for free.

Throw in a good post and we've got a deal!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Spacebump posted:

It's $70. The parents paying might care about durability.

It's cardboard. You can fix it with duct tape.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
they already have an amibo cereal box.

next is the labo cereal box.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/953789279783731200

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

How will this all be represented in Smash Bros?

I'm not saying it can't I mean we have a Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B. and a bunch of Miis I'm genuinely anticipating how this gets represented in the next Smash.

The robot kit is an item. You pick it up and put it on, and you stomp around as a powerful cardboard robot, virtually immune to knockback and with punch attacks, until it falls apart. Getting hit makes it fall apart faster.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/953792202852859905

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

labo is a fam

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This Labo poo poo is loving brilliant and will make so much money. It’s almost like they channeled Gunpei Yokoi’s ghost for the idea.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I can't wait to buy Miyamoto's dead son.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My kid was 4 when I got the Switch (he's 5 now) almost 7+ months ago and he hasn't broken it yet despite not being particularly careful. It's survived lots of snot, sticky fingers, and being dropped 4 or 5 times. It's not that fragile. I'm looking forward to trying this cardboard stuff.

I'm sad that many nominally adult men on the internet think that everything on a loving Nintendo console needs to be for them. I like Nintendo BECAUSE their stuff isn't made for 20 year old dudebro edgelords.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Cobalt Viper posted:

Ahh, you don't have children I see.

FZeroRacer posted:

If you think so little about your kids that you think duct tape won't fix whatever "destruction" they might cause then maybe you can build the toy-con things and wrap them up with a condom for protection. Not make the same mistake twice, you know?

The games are E to E10+ for god's sake. A ten year old ain't gonna break it and if they are younger then why the hell are you not building it with them?

Det_no fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 18, 2018

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I like the jokes, but its funny to see posts using pics of people being creative/having fun with cardboard to try and dunk on Labo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a pretty good idea because even if it gets squashed or eaten by the dog in 5 minutes, that's plenty of time for millennial parents to snap 50 pictures of Aiyyden "being creative" for their instagram.

Personally I'm most looking forward to videos of grown rear end men running around with a cardboard robot backpack that they paid $80 for.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember being a child, and I think I could hold a cardboard box for five minute without destroying it. I think any kid old enough to put together the piano is also probably gonna be able to avoid the urge to throw it against the wall and jump up and down on it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

That's pretty cool. Can you make custom things? Labo homebrew?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait. Is the robot thing a vr headset?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that they're called Toy-Con :3:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't think so, no, it just has a headset part you put a joycon in to idk, track your head or something. Pretty sure the front of it is just a window and you play the game on the TV though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

doesn't look like it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Labo is a cute idea and I hope they keep expanding on it and doing other things with it. Love the idea of using the built-in IR sensor to make a keyboard.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Harrow posted:

Love the idea of using the built-in IR sensor to make a keyboard.

It's really cool to see how a lot of these toycons take advantage of it. Apparently you get fine-grained control on the robot's limbs because you're tugging wires that are moving IR reflective pads in front of the camera.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yes that's one of the included games

If this thing isn't used to play Super Black Bass: Switch Edition then Nintendo has lost a sale :colbert:

a.lo posted:

they already have an amibo cereal box.

next is the labo cereal box.

You mean the cereal that was available for a day, if that? Sure glad Nintendo took their NES Classic manufacturing strategy and applied it to other markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Labo seems cool, though I'd probably have more fun putting the things together than actually playing the mini games.

• Locked thread