Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
I was playing solo yesterday, didn't get great gear but found a buggy and got my first three road kills somehow.

Then my work pager started going off......I wasn't going to quit playing, but I had to start playing more reckless. I killed a guy with a shotgun after crashing into him. The game went pretty rapidly from 25 down to 15 or so. I saw another guy and dumped a full m16 mag at him but must have missed. I was so mad I forgot to reload and just kept jerking the trigger.

He killed me, I got 10th.

The pager call was bullshit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Live At Five! posted:

I doubt someone had enough meds to survive outside the zone long enough in this game. They would have needed close to 20 med kits, which I guess is possible but considering the state of the game on xbone, I'd say server problems are more likely.

Yeah. The last circle kills so quickly I feel like you'd die before you can apply the medkits. Maybe I am wrong.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
You can survive, but you pretty much are non stop applying med kits. You'd quickly run out of med kits.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd really like to see a video of someone surviving for like 1:30 seconds way out in the blue and managing to snipe at the same time. I guess this guy could have been some super micro manager but it sure felt like some bullshit was going on to me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That's why I said medkits and energy drinks. Energy drinks regen your health, which slows your health drain somewhat, meaning longer between health kits.

I'm not saying any of this would be easy, only that it would be technically doable with enough items.

Energy drinks are pretty good to pop when the circle gets small anyway, bandaging takes time and you can regen as you are moving to a better position assuming you didn't die.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
In the first 2 or 3 circles you can definitely live in the blue for a long time if you're very disciplined on keeping up on your boost/healthkit consumption, but it's VERY easy to let it go just a second too long (or get hit once) and then whoops you're dead.

It's not viable at all in the 4th-onward circles. It's also not something we've ever run into on the PC with cheaters (they'll just aimbot you in the face through a mountain from 1000m instead), but who knows what is possible on the Xbox build.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah the final shrink kills you quick. I got stuck in it myself, and was about 80% dead after 5 seconds. Someone surviving in it for nearly 2 minutes by pumping consumables seems incredibly unlikely to me. I could be wrong. But I really doubt it. The shot also sounded like it came from a mile off, which doesn't mean that much because you can't really trust the sound design. But he sure as hell wasn't anywhere near the play area.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
New patch notes, some notable items were:
Pistol is up on dpad now and a new controller config.

quote:

Added a new controller preset to options menu.

Type B (new preset) now supports:

Holding LT to aim down sight.

Holding LB to use 3rd person perspective aim sight.

Controller guide has been updated to include  the new controller preset.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Based on the patch notes it looks like what happened to my friend and I was a glitch.

• Fixed an issue where players repositioned out of the battleground after certain actions and remained invulnerable until the end of the match.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

yeah the final shrink kills you quick. I got stuck in it myself, and was about 80% dead after 5 seconds. Someone surviving in it for nearly 2 minutes by pumping consumables seems incredibly unlikely to me. I could be wrong. But I really doubt it. The shot also sounded like it came from a mile off, which doesn't mean that much because you can't really trust the sound design. But he sure as hell wasn't anywhere near the play area.

Assuming it progresses at the same rate the PC version did/does, the sound accuracy is bigly better in 1.1 or whatever it's at now than it was at 0.6ish/what the Xbone version feels like now. It used to be "There's a vehicle somewhere to.... the east? west? south??? of us" to being right about its actual location 95% of the time now, it's made it very fun to be dialed in on headsets with a competent team because we can all pinpoint incoming badguys and do cool flanking & coordinated poo poo, ala Original Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six. (on the rare occasion we're all set up and paying attention/not ripping bongs)

They've actually made some really good/cool sound confusion from echo from water or canyon area reflecting back and sounding like it's coming from both sides at once that have impressed me a couple times (requires high volume headset + experience at the game to really figure out directionals well still), so I do expect they continue to pump the improvements in at the same rate to xbone.

One awesome thing Xbone has over PC is that Microsoft doesn't tolerate cheaters, so even if TEH HAX start popping up, MS will actually permaban GT's. On Steam it's virtually impossible since you can't ban across the entire service and cheaters just buy the game again. (cheating is really loving up the game right now, we've had to move to playing First Person Perspective to avoid the majority of them)

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Applied as phyein. Never played squads, I have a feeling it's the only way I'll snag a win. Best I've managed is 2nd place. Kinda glad I'm on Xbox though since I have a feeling if I was on PC I wouldn't get those occasional moments where me and someone else both take each other by surprise and stand 20 feet from each other spraying bullets everywhere and both missing with every single one.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I think there really is something about mag dumping at medium/close range that this version really has over the PC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

3 man squad is really fun. Feels like the best way to play to me so far. Duo and solo feel way more luck based but with 3 peeps it starts to feel like way more of a tactical shooter. I like it more than 4, for some reason I'm not sure of.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 14, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/r3nARSO.gifv

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's mostly because in duos you have to cover ~2x as many potential angles as you have to in squad so it's easier to get got by solid 2's that split up and roll on you quietly. It's just as tactical once you get the hang of it, but 4 really good players can just steamroll the opposition with a 50ish% likely win rate when they're on and everyone is making their shots/callouts, but on duos with the same level of performance it's more like 30% of the time = dinner likely.

Also that gif is unrealistic, the buggy would have flipped on that first 4" bump and YOU killed YOURSELF

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

If you play this, feel free to add me: SandRifle

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Just when I started to think I had something going and that I started to git gud, I have a huge run of humiliating defeats.

I hate having to run away from the circle of death the entire first 10 minutes. They should slow it down or have it start later. Especially sucks when the safe zone spawns on the other side of the map. Though the only real highlight from the past day was when I was running from the blue wall and some rear end in a top hat in a buggy got out to "duel" me. We run from cover to cover trading shots until he is a good way away from the buggy so I just steal it and leave him there just in time for him to be enveloped. My fun didn't last long as I crashed soon after and rejoined the game dead.

It seems like the latest patch has made weapons and equipment much more scarce. When are we getting the new map?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

BobKnob posted:

I hate having to run away from the circle of death the entire first 10 minutes.

Run along the nearest road, and you will come across a drivable vehicle that moves faster than the circle. There are no vehicles in the woods so you can’t always just make a beeline for the play zone and stumble over one. I like to use my parachute time to spot one from the air and note its location so I can double back to it when it’s time to move out.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

And the first circle is both slow and not very harmful to you, so don’t panic too much.

Drop somewhere, do some looting (I’m looking for a gun, helmet, vest, backpack and some health items) then go find a car if you’re way outside the circle.

Ferrett
Sep 6, 2000

I gave in and picked this up today. I signed up for the club and would like to play in groups because I'm probably going to be awful. GT: Ferrett

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Having to aim for the right seat in an empty vehicle to drive it is a design decision so bad it's baffling. Trying to speed off in a jeep just to spawn in the back seat and get shot, is just about the lamest, shittiest way to die in a video game.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

No matter where you are in a vehicle hold down A to go to the driver seat.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Chemmy posted:

And hold left bumper to turbo. God, there are some many things I would probably be better at if I just RTFM...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Oh poo poo. I did not know that. I still wish it would just default to it if the vehicle is empty, but that's not that bad then.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Oh poo poo. I did not know that. I still wish it would just default to it if the vehicle is empty, but that's not that bad then.

The game is kinda janky and there are a lot of things they could do to streamline things, but I feel like some element of "you need to pay attention to little things in tense moments" makes the game different.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

On the PC you have a >51% chance of getting on the back of a motorcycle if you're by yourself (or the passenger seat of any other vehicle) and there is no discrete Get In The Driver Seat Button.

So lol that the Xbone Kane & Lynch controls are actually further evolved.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
who has swapped to controller binding b?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

On the PC you have a >51% chance of getting on the back of a motorcycle if you're by yourself (or the passenger seat of any other vehicle) and there is no discrete Get In The Driver Seat Button.

So lol that the Xbone Kane & Lynch controls are actually further evolved.

Does Ctrl+1 not work on bikes?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

SquirrelGrip posted:

who has swapped to controller binding b?

I have and so have all my friends. Time to aim down sights was super quick.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

always be closing posted:

Does Ctrl+1 not work on bikes?

Yeah it does, you can change seats - you just can't hit a specific button when you're not yet on the bike.

RIP if you're using the nvidia geforce ~~*experience*~~ and haven't changed the default bindings in that first though, which prevent PUBG from using ctrl-1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been playing a bunch of PUBG and The Last of Us Remastered back to back and it's incredibly weird, because they are just similar enough that every time I play TLOU I feel like I just jumped in a time machine and went 10 years into the future and vise versa when I play PUBG. It's jarring.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That latest patch seems to have made things pretty smooth.

Of course, I can still count the exact number of frames per second with my fancy eyes, but pobody's nerfect!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It improved everything for me for about 2 days (it definitely improved the texture loading) but the rubber banding is off the charts for me now.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

If they could fix the fact that my controls reset every time I quit the game I'd be happy. I hate having to reconfigure 10 options every single time I launch. Or I forget and I play like crap.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Maybe it's just the N64 veteran in me but the game is perfectly playable for me and I'm on an original Xbone. I think the controls are actually pretty nice considering all that had to be mapped.

veni veni veni posted:

It improved everything for me for about 2 days (it definitely improved the texture loading) but the rubber banding is off the charts for me now.

I have noticed it a tiny bit more but it's still nothing like the first couple weeks

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I need to play this game more now that I've stopped getting butthurt that I get killed like 10 minutes in

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there an option to default to full auto?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Is there an option to default to full auto?

If you don't see it, no.

It's not a huge effort to hit left on the d-pad for your desired firing mode, I think.

Hell, I think I prefer semi-auto shot even on the burst or automatic weapons, gotta keep that reticle on target, y'know? Too much pull can be deadly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah who doesn't want to pick up an uzi off the ground just to have it fire off a single, useless 9mm shot in the heat of battle because you didn't remember to hit left on the dpad 3 times? Maybe if the default was gun specific it would make more sense but that poo poo is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shatwag
Jan 26, 2003

Laura Croft who?

veni veni veni posted:

Maybe if the default was gun specific

I like this idea.

I'm still bad at this but the 'B' control scheme is helping I think.