Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

I'm telling myself that's what happened with X as well.

It's the Takahashi curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Why is there a gacha game in a game I paid full price for?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

To provide a companion to the timer-based idle game you'll have to deal with later, of course.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Natural 20 posted:

The good: The rares are in most cases just that, rare, and not actually better then the regular joe blades(2 stars and higher, 1 stars are pretty garbage).

The bad: It's a loving gacha game still.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bird Law posted:

Chapter 4 spoilers;

That screencap is from much later in the game. :ssh:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
here's a better idea for acquiring the rare blades, just tie them to the unique enemies around the world.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

here's a better idea for acquiring the rare blades, just tie them to the unique enemies around the world.

right?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tie them to Tiger Tiger :getin:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chronojam posted:

Tie them to Tiger Tiger :getin:

fuk u

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

spit on my clit posted:

No because then that'd just make things very samey, and there wouldn't be fun situations where your first rare blade is this extremely powerful one like zenobia

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh yeah at level 15 go get Perun then at 23 get Wulfric and at 27 you can get both Dagas and Yoshimitsu that's lame

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

No because then that'd just make things very samey, and there wouldn't be fun situations where your first rare blade is this extremely powerful one like zenobia

Really they should've all just come from sidequests. Maybe keep one or two in the :rolldice: pool for flavour (with far better odds of rolling them than current statistics suggest), and just let players earn the rest with side-story content.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Calaveron posted:

I mean, they could still be random, but at least it'd be a guarantee of something, rather than a stupid gacha. It'd also make hunting down all of the unique enemies a neat side quest with cool rewards, rather than just finding some schmuck and killing them for slightly better than normal loot.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

If you have to keep the gacha system (you don't) then allow players to get rare blades in New Game Plus at a shop. You retain the element of surprise in the first run and reduce the urge to tediously grind core crystals at the end of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ajkalan posted:

If you have to keep the gacha system (you don't) then allow players to get rare blades in New Game Plus at a shop. You retain the element of surprise in the first run and reduce the urge to tediously grind core crystals at the end of the game.

Hell, just make that shop a post-game thing. A trader in Goldmouth or something.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Give me a Velvet Room so I can fuse one-star wind tiger and two-star fire spear to make Perceval

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That screencap is from much later in the game. :ssh:

It's still Chapter 4 though right? Just making sure I didn't label it wrong.

But, yeah it's a long way in, I'm somehow at 49 hours so far.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I'm at 70hrs here in chapter five. I spent way too long on the end fight for the last chapter due to missing a major aspect of battle, getting your team to target stuff you are. Otherwise, I often leave my switch paused and go do some other stuff so I'm not sure how much time I've really spent.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ajkalan posted:

Give me a Velvet Room so I can fuse one-star wind tiger and two-star fire spear to make Perceval

holy poo poo actually this.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bird Law posted:

It's still Chapter 4 though right? Just making sure I didn't label it wrong.

But, yeah it's a long way in, I'm somehow at 49 hours so far.
Nope. It's a good deal later than Chapter 4. Might be Chapter 6?

My memory of the plot and pacing of this game are a little fuzzy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah that spoiler is chapter 6's intro

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Really? I even looked up a walkthrough guide, IGN I think, and it said it was Chapter 4 too. No clue, I’ll edit the post anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bird Law posted:

Really? I even looked up a walkthrough guide, IGN I think, and it said it was Chapter 4 too. No clue, I’ll edit the post anyway.

That screencap is from the second fight against Rosa much later in the game, hence the honking great G on her forehead.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Axle_Stukov posted:

The good: The rares are in most cases just that, rare, and not actually better then the regular joe blades(2 stars and higher, 1 stars are pretty garbage).

The bad: It's a loving gacha game still.

Okay, here's how you actually do it.

Some blades are tied to killing world bosses. Some blades are tied to going to world viewpoints with the correct character. Some blades become purchasable at certain town development levels. Some can be salvaged up.

I can keep going for a while with this. All of it is better than a gacha game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gacha was a mistake

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

Okay, here's how you actually do it.

Some blades are tied to killing world bosses. Some blades are tied to going to world viewpoints with the correct character. Some blades become purchasable at certain town development levels. Some can be salvaged up.

I can keep going for a while with this. All of it is better than a gacha game.

So wierd they have that whole tutorial about killing one monster for it's unique blade then it like never happens again despite there being unique bosses with fancy blades.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Natural 20 posted:

Considering how long and tedious some side quests are I'd be completely down with a blade as a reward since it might actually feel like it was worth it. Quests are so long with so many stages and I can't think of any better reward than to get a blade. Even if it was a random one that gave you any of the named blades.

Also whoever suggested fighting the level 92 dinosaurs to level was a genius because they're pushovers and get you loads of XP.

Anyway, chapter 9 spoilers here I think.
I'm in the big church in Elysium and I've just beaten Nia on my own. But Morag on her own is absolutely kicking the crap out of me. I've tried it with a healing blade equipped but the arts just take too long to charge up. I've got a save from before I started it but what is the best way around this?
The guide I looked at just says "it's an easy fight" which can gently caress off.

I'm level 76 and right now I've got the accessory that boosts my auto attack by 70% and one that lets me hit twice. I do have an Aux Core that can heal me but it doesn't feel like enough. I did okay against her with Gorg as my blade but everyone else I'm just getting walloped and barely doing anything.
What should I do?

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 18, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Considering how long and tedious some side quests are I'd be completely down with a blade as a reward since it might actually feel like it was worth it. Quests are so long with so many stages and I can't think of any better reward than to get a blade. Even if it was a random one that gave you any of the named blades.

Also whoever suggested fighting the level 92 dinosaurs to level was a genius because they're pushovers and get you loads of XP.

I'm in the big church in Elysium and I've just beaten Nia on my own. But Morag on her own is absolutely kicking the crap out of me. I've tried it with a healing blade equipped but the arts just take too long to charge up. I've got a save from before I started it but what is the best way around this?
The guide I looked at just says "it's an easy fight" which can gently caress off.

I'm level 76 and right now I've got the accessory that boosts my auto attack by 70% and one that lets me hit twice. I do have an Aux Core that can heal me but it doesn't feel like enough. I did okay against her with Gorg as my blade but everyone else I'm just getting walloped and barely doing anything.
What should I do?

Use Aegaeon, he will wreck the poo poo out of both Morag and the following fight.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use Aegaeon, he will wreck the poo poo out of both Morag and the following fight.

Still chapter 9.

Okay. I'm glad that I didn't save it when I was on my own because all the blades equipped to my characters weren't in my pool to use any longer! Will it matter that I can't level up his weapon skills?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Taear posted:

What should I do?

I got lucky I guess. The game tossed a tank Blade on me for that part (Godfrey in this case) with Rigid Shield. (Or whatever the art is called on Rex that blocks attacks and regenerates your health while it's active.) I just swung at them until my health was low and usually Rigid Shield was ready, then used that to refill my health. Being a healer is a bad idea when you have aggro because healers are squishy by nature.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Taear posted:

What should I do?

I died during that fight, so I used my overpowered Sheba and went to pound town on everyone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I got lucky I guess. The game tossed a tank Blade on me for that part (Godfrey in this case) with Rigid Shield. (Or whatever the art is called on Rex that blocks attacks and regenerates your health while it's active.) I just swung at them until my health was low and usually Rigid Shield was ready, then used that to refill my health. Being a healer is a bad idea when you have aggro because healers are squishy by nature.

Still chapter 9.

That sounds like a good idea! I never even considered using a Tank because I've never ever had one equipped. I never even knew Rigid shield existed!
I hate it when they do stuff like this in games, it's really frustrating.

But nothing annoys me more than a guide saying "This is easy". If I'm looking it up in a guide then it wasn't easy was it?

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 18, 2018

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Taear posted:

Still chapter 9.

That sounds like a good idea! I never even considered using a Tank because I've never ever had one equipped. I never even knew Rigid shield existed!
I hate it when they do stuff like this in games, it's really frustrating.

But nothing annoys me more than a guide saying "This is easy". If I'm looking it up in a guide then it wasn't easy was it?

I just checked. On Rex it's called Iron Wall. Does the same thing as Tora's Rigid Shield, which was the one I remembered. Rex gets it on Hammer Blades. You can't attack while using it, but it blocks attacks and restores a percentage of your health over time and recharges your other arts. It's probably not that great in general play, but it's saved my rear end on several occasions, including that fight.

And I agree it's lovely when guides do that. Hope you have better luck on that fight now!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I just checked. On Rex it's called Iron Wall. Does the same thing as Tora's Rigid Shield, which was the one I remembered. Rex gets it on Hammer Blades. You can't attack while using it, but it blocks attacks and restores a percentage of your health over time and recharges your other arts. It's probably not that great in general play, but it's saved my rear end on several occasions, including that fight.

I'll get Kassandra equipped right away. I've barely unlocked anything with Godfrey.

Apparently the first DLC is out in Japan in a few days, it's 5 more sidequests. It doesn't feel worth it even slightly.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Those fights were dumb and bad and the one you are stuck on is the worst of them. The scene afterwards is worth it, though.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I got to the final boss door and I've got to say (endgame spoilers) that was all a lot more coherent than I expected, from Amalthus imprinting on Malos to make him the way he is, to the Aegises being the computer cores (with Alvis implied to be the missing third core), to the explanation of the cloud sea. It was a crazy amount of plot to cram in at the end but it's a tighter wrap than I thought possible. Time to go beat the game.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Stealing this from the Switch thread:

Mulderman posted:

I'll take 10!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I got to the final boss door and I've got to say (endgame spoilers) that was all a lot more coherent than I expected, from Amalthus imprinting on Malos to make him the way he is, to the Aegises being the computer cores (with Alvis implied to be the missing third core), to the explanation of the cloud sea. It was a crazy amount of plot to cram in at the end but it's a tighter wrap than I thought possible. Time to go beat the game.

It's explicitly Alvis. You even hear a line from Shulk echoing through the void because he is about five minutes away from loving up Zanza something fierce in the pocket universe and you need to deal with Malos now before that happens and takes the Architect out with him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

There's an annoying thing that pervades the entire game which is that a lot of the story is known to many of the characters but they don't tell Rex.
I understand that he's meant to be an audience surrogate but it's still annoying that you get drip fed stuff and then suddenly everyone in the game world is chatting about it like it's common knowledge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's explicitly Alvis. You even hear a line from Shulk echoing through the void because he is about five minutes away from loving up Zanza something fierce in the pocket universe and you need to deal with Malos now before that happens and takes the Architect out with him.

I'm dense and didn't get that the third Aegis was Alvis. I thought that was an odd thing to throw out there and never mention the name of the third Aegis. Makes sense that it was Alvis...