Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I mean, the main story of this season is straight out of Book 2 still. They've just moved a lot of stuff up and added a lot of scenes for characters to make them fully main cast, Julia's book 2 arc was covered in season 1 (it makes sense because her story was a flashback and took place concurrently to book 1), Julia and Kady's book 3 arc was in season 2. Alice's book 3 arc was in season 2. There's still a major book 3 character they can introduce as well as go through some of Josh's stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It looks like the biggest change with this season's story arc is that Eliot and Margot will actually be going on the Quest, which they sat out in the book.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Set the DVR a couple weeks ago, and somehow it didn't record S03E01. Went to On-Demand, and downloaded it from there to the DVR, to watch later. I literally saw the DL happening. The next day I go into the DVR List, and it isn't there.

I think someone is Magicianing my DVR so I can't watch it. Goddam dark magicians.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GORDON posted:

Set the DVR a couple weeks ago, and somehow it didn't record S03E01. Went to On-Demand, and downloaded it from there to the DVR, to watch later. I literally saw the DL happening. The next day I go into the DVR List, and it isn't there.

I think someone is Magicianing my DVR so I can't watch it. Goddam dark magicians.

I had issues with the season premiere last year as well. I just couldn't watch it on my DVR. It would randomly skipped 30 seconds. It might be an issue with SyFy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I definitely had that problem with the last season premier, ended up watching it through the Syfy app which didn't have that issue.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

It looks like the biggest change with this season's story arc is that Eliot and Margot will actually be going on the Quest, which they sat out in the book.

I thought Eliot did quite a bit, it was just off page and summed up to Quentin when he and a character we might meet this season return to Fillory.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhm, you're talking about the show being difficult to watch, or offputting because of its subject matter, right? i.e. whether it's upsetting or not.

I think everyone else is talking about whether the first season is poorly crafted television or not. Different thing.

i didn't think it was poorly crafted necessarily. I'm glad the show did recognize how horrible that spell was to do on Quentin. But it definitely felt overly edgy at times. *shrugs*

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Is there something wrong with the Syfy feed? There is some issue with the colorization, with green tinted bars going across the screen. Or is it my Sling TV?

Edit: I love that Josh is part of the main cast now. I never liked that he wasn't part of the gang from the start, like he was in the book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roger Cross?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roger Cross!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Clever use of the small budget again. Rinky dink sailboat on the outside, luxurious cabin on a set in a soundstage below. Magic!

Edit: Frey wasn't a character in the books, right? Like, she isn't a repurposed character like Fen?

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 18, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well... poo poo.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: ROGER CROSS

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It has been the law for years that if you're shooting a television show in Canada, Roger Cross is to be involved in some manner.

Failure to follow this law is punishable by flogging.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Roger Cross does not do auditions. Roger Cross does not have an agent. Roger Cross just shows up on the set of every Vancouver show, as it is expected. Roger Cross does not have a script. He just knows his lines because he is Roger Cross.

Wherever Roger Cross shows up, a production pops up around him. The director doesn’t scream ACTION. Roger Cross does.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 18, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Roger Cross does not do auditions. Roger Cross does not have an agent. Roger Cross just shows up on the set of every Vancouver show, as it is expected. Roger Cross does not have a script. He just knows his lines because he is Roger Cross.

Wherever Roger Cross shows up, a production pops up around him. The director doesn’t scream ACTION. Roger Cross does.

Um, is there some meme that I'm missing?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Seems that way

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nihonniboku posted:

Roger Cross is in a lot of TV shows, particularly sci-fi and fantasy shows.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If you say Roger Cross three times in a mirror, Roger Cross will appear.

Congratulations. You’re now an extra in a Canadian TV production.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I only know him as Curtis from 24. He will always be Curtis from 24.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roger Cross was so Curtis, every other black guy was NotCurtis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Roger Cross was so Curtis, every other black guy was NotCurtis.

This sums it up better than anything else possibly could.

Roger Cross!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Her cat was sick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And it exploded.

As cats do.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I only know Roger Cross from Dark Matter, so when I saw him in this episode I just thought that it was good to see him getting work after that crashed and burned. I guess my concern was misplaced.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

I only know Roger Cross from Dark Matter, so when I saw him in this episode I just thought that it was good to see him getting work after that crashed and burned. I guess my concern was misplaced.

Cross will be 85 years old and he'll still be getting steady paychecks every year. His career is indestructible. If it came out tomorrow that he was smugging plastic explosives to North Korea, there isn't a court in Canada that would convict him.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

If you want peak Roger Cross (you do) then watch Continuum.

Actually watch Continuum anyway.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

If you want peak Roger Cross (you do) then watch Continuum.

Actually watch Continuum anyway.

:five:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Really you just want to watch everything Roger Cross has ever been in.

And then repeat but this time Ryan Robbins.

You have to be ready for the Cross/Robbins war.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Really, you don't even have to repeat. If either Robbins or Cross show up, the other is bound to show up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Really, you don't even have to repeat. If either Robbins or Cross show up, the other is bound to show up.

This is true.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not a huge Magicians fan and was on the fence about picking up again with S3, but that coded pop culture conversation was pretty great.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love it every time Eliot shows he's actually a pretty great king

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zeal posted:

i love it every time Eliot shows he's actually a pretty great king

Just imagine how bad Quentin would have been.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Fen being excited to tell Frey to go to her room is pretty great.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

i thought the second episode of this season was pretty bad but the first episode was pretty good. i hope the third episode is good.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

Clever use of the small budget again. Rinky dink sailboat on the outside, luxurious cabin on a set in a soundstage below. Magic!

Saw that and thought, "Ah, Timelord technology."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not a fan of the whole exploding cat thing but that's because one of my cats passed away not too long ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To lighten things up a little, man Alice's shirt is super tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
What did the fairy queen take from the pirates after she killed them? I couldn't tell.