Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Imagine being owned by a game developer so bad that you think a joke about how people shouldn't bitch about the game is some kind of goon masterstroke.

e:

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

hot balls man no homo posted:

Because it shows how quickly reddit can go from "Quit spreading your FUD here!" to "Oh my god will somebody help me get a refund!"

All they have is their faith, whether it be in fake internet monies or in Chris, and once that faith is smashed into a fine powder, all that will be left is tears and rage and no amount of shilling or paid moderating can quell that rising tide of fury

You can't spell refund without fud

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Thoatse posted:

:vince:

Cryptocurrency and Star Citizen are converging beautifully right now. The harvest of tears is bountiful.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Thoatse posted:

You also can't spell refund without "fun" and lets face it, the only time you'll have any fun in star citizen is when your trying to get your refund.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

*posts 50 screenshots of his garbage game*

Crobbler pays him to do that for a game he's developing on the side, Scapegoat Simulator

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/KHeTqHT.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Spatial posted:

I swear at some point they were defending that on the subreddit as a completely natural formation that makes total sense

No seam, no seam, you're the seam

You could say their unseamly

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:eonwe:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I'm glad of it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

neonbregna posted:

Why is it so wide?

It was designed by Ben

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Reddit your game is stupid we only care about 6666

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Thoatse posted:

It was designed by Ben

Show me your low hanging fruit

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen is like a bubble, with absolutely no value (since there's no game). People buy into it thinking their "investment" will net them good profit when the game is out thinking that this is EVE Online.

As a skeptic to BTC and crypto, I can see similarities and the tear harvest has never been better.

Hold on to your ships Citizen! CR will ensure that you get your profits!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

trucutru posted:

In that xxSilentRuinxx thread that was posted a few days ago where he was defending the insurance countdown timers and why CIG shouldn't change them, one of his arguments was that you should inform yourself about the bugs to clone ships so that you don't get bothered by the timer.

I was trying to understand their argument, and then it finally clicked that they wanted CIG to turn the ship dupe bug into a feature rather than reduce the respawn timers. The cultists are so poisoned that they think asking for the timers to be temporarily reduced while there are serious spawn bugs is tantamount to a fundamental compromise on the vision. Love when community members turn on each other for requesting a simple quality of life improvement that would also assist in testing the game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tfw you circlejerk to r/all and then outsiders and doubters come in and spoil the fun.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thanks for spending all your money! We appreciate you so much were offering more things for you to buy! Don’t you feel special and appreciated?!

Also :lol: at Sandis signature.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

They're hosed. Completely. Someone should tell MoMa

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/953691070898102272.html

I read this forum you insufferable asshat.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

That new dev cracks me up.

Noctis, looks like you got sad and depressed. Go work at CIG for a while to help you realize there is happiness after you screw everything up and hurt all the people everywhere, even your car, man!

But not the chocobos. They are love. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Re: insurance stuff, apparently if you're waiting our an insurance times in the PU you also can't use that ship in a different module like Arena Commando. Also I believe there was a bug wherein you in fact could permanently lose your chariot if you hosed up the insurance thingy and you were supposed to contact CS to get it added back to your account.

You probably mistakenly thought you could just click the button really fast out if boredom. Unfortunately that button is directly connected to the database, and somehow you removed the ship from your table entry because it’s just that solid of coding.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ZekeNY posted:

It's like Douglas Adams said:

"if it comes to a choice between [doing the right thing], and on the other hand just taking the money and running, then I for one could do with the exercise"

How did you guess my favorite quote???

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

I was trying to understand their argument, and then it finally clicked that they wanted CIG to turn the ship dupe bug into a feature rather than reduce the respawn timers. The cultists are so poisoned that they think asking for the timers to be temporarily reduced while there are serious spawn bugs is tantamount to a fundamental compromise on the vision. Love when community members turn on each other for requesting a simple quality of life improvement that would also assist in testing the game.

Yeah, that's more or less it. The argument is that all the stuff that CIG designs is good/perfect. Therefore them changing some mechanic would mean that it wasn't good/perfect and they cannot have that. Instead, take advantage of bugs, since those are unintended and you won't blemish CIGs honor by using them.

They don't really want to make the dupe bug a feature, because in the future, when everything is perfect, they won't be required. But right now it allows them to sidestep the horrible timer mechanics without having to admit that they are horrible. win-win.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that people with a lot of ships don't want people who do not have a lot of ships to enjoy the same luxury of not being unable to play due to your ship spawning without a chair.

My brain tells me it's a phase of the "I bought an Idris so that people would serve under me" appeal scheme that's going on.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

How would he know? you're blocked, and we are getting better at not replying to y...gently caress!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So about the lambda code.

My understanding is that video games are giant state machines. Is using some sort of random code that throws something asynchronous into a state machine a good idea? I’m assuming the lambda isn’t actually trying to execute anything but just logging an activity for the next tick?

I use lambda and asynchronous stuff for different things, mostly throwing stuff into queues or tables to be picked up by monitoring systems, or used as callbacks from different web calls to external apis.

I can’t wrap my mind around an asynchronous game engine, but maybe this is now how it’s done instead of using some sort of action manager that handles actions logged per tick? Y’all can educate me on how wrong I am.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that people with a lot of ships don't want people who do not have a lot of ships to enjoy the same luxury of not being unable to play due to your ship spawning without a chair.

My brain tells me it's a phase of the "I bought an Idris so that people would serve under me" appeal scheme that's going on.

you have been talking to B'Tak huh?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

you have been talking to B'Tak huh?

Blow my cover and I blow you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

:henget:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Dusty Lens posted:

Blow my cover and I blow you.

Don't bite off more than you can chew. Also don't chew unless you have false teeth that you can take out.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

What's the betting pool on which publisher is going to bail out Chris this time?

EA would love to have CIG due to the fact that the game comes complete with monetized systems and an audience that is willing to continue paying, Microsoft managed to turn his last poo poo show into a game that was worth playing and could probably spin it as an xbox exclusive IP, or maybe Tencent would pick it up to run it in the chinese market along with PUBG.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Amazing Zimmo posted:

What's the betting pool on which publisher is going to bail out Chris this time?

EA would love to have CIG due to the fact that the game comes complete with monetized systems and an audience that is willing to continue paying, Microsoft managed to turn his last poo poo show into a game that was worth playing and could probably spin it as an xbox exclusive IP, or maybe Tencent would pick it up to run it in the chinese market along with PUBG.

With the way the IP rights are leveraged and with the web of shell companies holding different rights (let alone the... State... Of star citizen) I think that experienced investors who you would need for the amount of money that's needed to deliver st this point, would stay the hell away from anything that star citizen has touched

If they get bought out it's after all the money is gone and the rights, IP and leftover assets are next to worthless not only in current Form but also from a speculative standpoint at cents for the dollar

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 18, 2018

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Star Citizen has no IP, it's a smattering of Wing Commander homage and space Rome. It's also married to 170 million in promises and precious little chance of making that back.

EA already owns Wing Commander and they're busy lovely out Star Wars. Microsoft owns Freelancer and they thought that buying Minecraft was a better use of their money than entertaining CR. No one else cared enough in the first place to pick up the idea.

In the end it's going to be Bootcha vs Gremlich vs Derek fighting for the rights at a police auction.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Combat Theory posted:

With the way the IP rights are leveraged and with the web of shell companies holding different rights (let alone the... State... Of star citizen) I think that experienced investors who you would need for the amount of money that's needed to deliver st this point, would stay the hell away from anything that star citizen has touched

If they get bought out it's after all the money is gone and the rights, IP and leftover assets are next to worthless not only in current Form but also from a speculative standpoint at cents for the dollar
And how could any of the code in it's current state be salvaged? As probably stated before it could mean a total rewrite. In that case save your money and build your own IP from scratch.

Star Citizen will live and die with Chris Roberts. And maybe Dr. Smart.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ahh B'tak, his requests are always easy, reasonable, and not completely impossible.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

The money well isn't dry at the moment but there are a number of factors that point towards an oncoming drought. The CryTech suit (if not dismissed) will probably end in an out of court settlement and being that it's skadden prosecuting, that settlement won't be anything lower than the $10 million mark. The couttes loan hasn't been repaid (at least to my knowledge). Estimated financial burn rate is hovering around the $3 million mark a month and that rate is based off industry pay rates for employees, so not really including much of the property and infrastructure costs as well as the bonuses for the top tier personnel (the backers will never know). Also while backer funding can have some upward spikes, as a general rule it is slipping with each successive year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it won't be a case of a publisher desperate to buy them out, it will be Chris desperate to sell.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Amazing Zimmo posted:

The money well isn't dry at the moment but there are a number of factors that point towards an oncoming drought. The CryTech suit (if not dismissed) will probably end in an out of court settlement and being that it's skadden prosecuting, that settlement won't be anything lower than the $10 million mark. The couttes loan hasn't been repaid (at least to my knowledge). Estimated financial burn rate is hovering around the $3 million mark a month and that rate is based off industry pay rates for employees, so not really including much of the property and infrastructure costs as well as the bonuses for the top tier personnel (the backers will never know). Also while backer funding can have some upward spikes, as a general rule it is slipping with each successive year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it won't be a case of a publisher desperate to buy them out, it will be Chris desperate to sell.

And he couldn't sell the project to anyone in the beginning, before it was a complete shambles, soooo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

And he couldn't sell the project to anyone in the beginning, before it was a complete shambles, soooo

This is true, however that was before CIG fleeced people to the tune of $170 million. That's the kind of fleecing that makes venture capitalists rub with dry sandpaper these days.

Maybe I'm trying to think too much because I finally caught up after a few months. I'll go back to drinking now and jump in the hot tub and get back to rubbing, open invite :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Amazing Zimmo posted:

This is true, however that was before CIG fleeced people to the tune of $170 million. That's the kind of fleecing that makes venture capitalists rub with dry sandpaper these days.

Maybe I'm trying to think too much because I finally caught up after a few months. I'll go back to drinking now and jump in the hot tub and get back to rubbing, open invite :toot:

That's $170M of liabilities, tho. Also save me a spot