Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah get used to levels with multiple bosses cause there are a lot of them later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
So I picked this up, and finally beat the bat boss.

I have no idea what I am doing. I played some dark souls, but this has a ton more components, and I'm a little overwhelmed.

When should I be using what stances? Which ninjitsu and the other spell tree should I pick up? Any really good skills I should nab? How do I use gestures?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait did they add new enemies to the main game at some point? I don't remember these foxes.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

So I picked this up, and finally beat the bat boss.

I have no idea what I am doing. I played some dark souls, but this has a ton more components, and I'm a little overwhelmed.

When should I be using what stances? Which ninjitsu and the other spell tree should I pick up? Any really good skills I should nab? How do I use gestures?

1): There's a bat boss? I don't remember a giant bat

2): Stances, it depends on what weapon you are using, but for most weapons, low stance makes you dash indefinitely and let you dance around people. Medium lets you dash and then pressing a second time initiates a roll, you can keep dashing if you don't hit it after a half second. High stance is always a roll. Once you start getting the hang of the weapons, you'll see what you are comfortable with.

I went through most of the game with Medium stance sword and medium stance spear. It wasn't until beating the first game when I started broadening my horizons and playing around with all the cool poo poo.

3):The most useful Omnyo starting out is bee lining for Sloth Talismans. They can slow down anything, including boss animations. As for Ninjustsu, i picked up a few shurikens to aggro enemies to my location. Be sure to pick up the Ninjutsu skill that lets you do critical backstabs dark souls style.

4):Hit the start button to use gestures. Be mindful that it locks you in the animation, so if you're just screwing around or guiding somebody while as a visitor, the whistle is pretty quick and usually grabs people's attention.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Quick change is incredibly good so grab that asap in the ninjutsu tree.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fargin Icehole posted:

1): There's a bat boss? I don't remember a giant bat

Hino-enma

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

When should I be using what stances?

Besides the dodge/roll properties mentioned above it really depends on the weapon. I used Kusarigama for the vast majority of the game and all of its stances have weird properties that don't necessarily apply with the other weapons. If you get into talents that modify stance combos or add options at the end of a combo it gets even more complicated. For just starting out I would recommend just trying to mix it up with one of the weapons and find several use cases that feel comfortable. You don't have to constantly stance dance or anything unless you want to really optimize your damage output.

RatHat posted:

Wait did they add new enemies to the main game at some point? I don't remember these foxes.

They only appear in the higher ng+ levels which were added with the DLCs

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 16, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy poo poo the Odachi skill Tiger Blade is ridiculous. The only problem with it that it doesn't really work on anything bigger than a Yoki but everything it does work on gets annihilated. Guess I have a reason to use Odachi low stance now.

No Mods No Masters posted:

They only appear in the higher ng+ levels which were added with the DLCs

No? I just went through the base difficulty version and they were there.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

RatHat posted:

No? I just went through the base difficulty version and they were there.

I noticed that, too. I'm going through some of the level in main campaign on Way of the Samurai again so I can get all the Kodama and I found the foxes on the Mount Hiei level. Either I forgot about them first time through, or they show up after you beat the game regardless of what difficulty you're on.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nope, I haven't beaten the game and there were foxes on that level, just did it on Sunday. Maybe they got added in one of the last DLC patches or something if they weren't always there?

Been steadily playing through the game after buying the season pass in the sale, it's pretty drat good apart from some of the loot issues. Can be a bit of a pain when you finish a mission and realise you have like 200 items to sell/disassemble.

When I actually beat it, should I just play the DLC levels straight away? Take it they're balanced for around the level you finish the main game in the first playthrough right? I know the game has a new game plus but you can just switch between that and regular game so I assume I'll be good.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sell or disassemble all this trash?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

victrix posted:

Sell or disassemble all this trash?

At first I disassembled, then I had more material than I could ever use so I started selling, now I'm at the point where I donate to clan battle for more glory.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I start by disassembling till I build up a good base of materials then I like to throw them at the shrine for elixirs or sell for money. If you didn't know: you can go into the options menu and turn the item filter up so that you only pick up items of a certain rarity tier and up. Helpful for when you're done ever needing to pick up white/blue/yellows.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Doing Tonfa/Kusarigama/Ninjutsu and Tonfa is just SO goddamned good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i use a sword and i'm finding by far the highest damage way to attack is to spam that move where you quickly rotate around your target with three quick slashes (i use that mystic art that gives higher damage from behind and it's still possible despite the movement to get the damage bonus on all three hits). it's at the point where it probably makes up 60% of my damage output in any given fight, particularly against big monsters. am i missing something else that's really great in the sword tree i'm not doing? all the other skills feel kinda underwhelming damage wise - probably the only ones i rely on are the parries with follow up hits, and obviously only against certain enemies.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Neurosis posted:

i use a sword and i'm finding by far the highest damage way to attack is to spam that move where you quickly rotate around your target with three quick slashes (i use that mystic art that gives higher damage from behind and it's still possible despite the movement to get the damage bonus on all three hits). it's at the point where it probably makes up 60% of my damage output in any given fight, particularly against big monsters. am i missing something else that's really great in the sword tree i'm not doing? all the other skills feel kinda underwhelming damage wise - probably the only ones i rely on are the parries with follow up hits, and obviously only against certain enemies.

Is that the move where you parry their swing, then jump behind them? I could never get the timing down on the parry.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Neurosis posted:

am i missing something else that's really great in the sword tree i'm not doing? all the other skills feel kinda underwhelming damage wise

The iai/quickdraw attacks do some pretty massive damage.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

plester1 posted:

The iai/quickdraw attacks do some pretty massive damage.

Tried them and was getting like between a fifth and a half as much damage. More difficult setup too. I'll still mess around with them to try to figure out where I'd use them

Then again that terrible move where you slooooooowwwwlllly walk forward and deliver one slash is in the game so not every move has a use

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is that the move where you parry their swing, then jump behind them? I could never get the timing down on the parry.

Nope, no setup
Learning parries seems worthwhile for revenants and human bosses but pretty useless otherwise

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So my goal right now is trying to get all of the trophies in Nioh. I've been spending the last couple of nights going through some of the main game missions on Way of the Samurai to collect all of the Kodama. Apart from fulfilling the trophy requirements, it looks like they carry over to other difficulties, making me think that the Weapon Blessing will make it easier to get good weapon drops.

The two big challenges I see are finishing all the missions and getting all the mystic arts. In regards to the mystical art stuff, I've unlocked the trophy for the two weapons I've primarily used: the dual swords and the spear. I think I can also get it for the single sword (I just don't have enough samurai points for it at the moment) but getting them for the other weapons seems like it'll be difficult. I haven't really used the axe or kusarigama, and I don't think I really have points allocated to use them effectively. Same goes for the odachi. The only one I think won't be as much of an issue is the tonfa, since they share the same stat with the dual swords (Skill). However, I'm a little worried about switching weapons, as I've gotten really used to the dual swords/spear combination.

As for the missions, they're mostly all done (I finished The Queen's Eye late last year), but the two that have me worried the most are Meeting on Another Shore and Two Kings. I haven't tried Two Kings yet, but I've tried Meeting on Another Shore a couple of times and I've failed to last pretty long. It could partially be due to being careless, but I'm wondering if getting better equipment would help, or work to trivialize the mission.

I also wanted to point out that I haven't touched any of the DLC content yet, apart from picking up some odachi/tonfa drops and trying the first floor of the Abyss. I don't know how difficult the DLC is, apart from hearing that the bosses are immune to the Sloth talisman.

Here's the current build I've got:

code:
LEVEL 126

BODY		26
HEART		28
STAMINA		16
STRENGTH	18
SKILL		43
DEXTERITY	11
MAGIC		11
SPIRIT		15

Current Equipment Rate: 9.1 / 38.4 (23.6%)
AGILITY: A
I've been trying to branch out a bit with the Ninja and Magic abilities, because it seems like those would help out a lot. I'm a little reluctant to do a stat reset (maybe once I get to the end of the all DLC), but I'm wondering if allocating more points into ninja skills or magic skills will help out.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling. :words:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Neurosis posted:

Tried them and was getting like between a fifth and a half as much damage. More difficult setup too. I'll still mess around with them to try to figure out where I'd use them

Then again that terrible move where you slooooooowwwwlllly walk forward and deliver one slash is in the game so not every move has a use

Nope, no setup
Learning parries seems worthwhile for revenants and human bosses but pretty useless otherwise

The triple dash-slash move got added in the last DLC, they didn't get around to balancing those yet. It's pretty absurd yeah. Eventually though it'll get you killed when the enemy just smacks you while you dash you around, so it does fall off.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Max Wilco posted:

#chievegoals

Getting the mystic arts is no biggie. I'd suggest going into Way of the Strong, grabbing any weapon that drops and just kill some guys with it. The bar fills up faster based on how high level the enemy you're hitting is so they will get over the 500k mark to unlock the mystic art missions pretty fast in WotS. Meeting on another shore is especially tough and probably the hardest mission in the base game (at least the one I had the most trouble with) but it can absolutely be overpowered with better equipment and more levels. gently caress around in Way of the Strong, get some divine equipment, come back and you'll wipe the floor with them. This won't even really mess up your progression since all the DLC are about at WotS level anyways.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If you can get 2 Kusarigama skills, every revenant becomes a joke. Just use high stance pull -> sweep, then move to their head and crush them. Repeat as necessary. Done.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Meeting on Another Shore made me actually ragequit on PS4, but this time I'm just going to outgear it, I think.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Fuzz posted:

If you can get 2 Kusarigama skills, every revenant becomes a joke. Just use high stance pull -> sweep, then move to their head and crush them. Repeat as necessary. Done.

The technique I've been using is the God of Wind move with the dual swords. Once they start blocking, you just hit Triangle to roll around and hit them behind to tank their stamina. Then it's just a matter of doing a final blow attack once or twice. The kusarigama thing sounds like it'll be even more effective, and I want to try and fight some more revenants for the Teahouse rewards and divine drops.

EDIT: Although that was something I meant to ask about when posting the character build. I don't have that many points in dex, so I don't know how effective the kusarisagama will be at around 11 points.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 18, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh I was curious how much Power pills increased your damage so I tried comparing my damage before and after using them. They appear to do literally nothing? Are they bugged?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Katana is all about the quick draw. The trick is, you deal more damage to downed enemies since that counts as attacking from behind (which can be boosted by various skills)

Knock down enemy and Iai will hurt them a lot

Or invest in weapon abilities that increase damage on zero Ki enemies

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 19, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i like how the characters are all based reasonably closely on historical figures. you could do this same kind of thing with many war-torn periods throughout history and i'd find this gimmick good every time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Neurosis posted:

i like how the characters are all based reasonably closely on historical figures. you could do this same kind of thing with many war-torn periods throughout history and i'd find this gimmick good every time.

I would play a game that featured Winston Churchill wielding a cavalry sword.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RatHat posted:

Uh I was curious how much Power pills increased your damage so I tried comparing my damage before and after using them. They appear to do literally nothing? Are they bugged?

They should give like a 10% boost but they don't stack with other damage buffs.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Did the new DLC (I only have the base game) add anything to make unarmed better? I've been thinking about an unarmed playthrough. (Unarmed parries are hard)

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I don't know which dlc but in the end they added a set bonus that boosts fists 50% and a way to dump excess samurai points into unarmed damage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If you do it right Unarmed is super OP but it’s also extremely boring.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Man, what do i need to do to break this game over my knee? I just started Way of the Demon, and everything takes forever to kill.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i'm almost finished with way of the strong. tell me what special effects on my sword suck and need to be replaced:

water
close combat ki reduction
close combat damage
familiarity bonus
scaling bonus from heart
weaken armour (torso)

edit: can't get rid of ki reduction because it's inheritable unfortunately

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I wouldn't worry about gear unless you're not planning to go for the final difficulty.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neurosis posted:

i'm almost finished with way of the strong. tell me what special effects on my sword suck and need to be replaced:

water
close combat ki reduction
close combat damage
familiarity bonus
scaling bonus from heart
weaken armour (torso)

edit: can't get rid of ki reduction because it's inheritable unfortunately

Is that Familiarity Bonus or Familiarity Damage Bonus? The former doesn't increase your damage. I'd also get rid of Weaken Armour since I don't know if it works on yokai.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Is there anything really unique about Way of the Nioh/etc that's worth going through? So far WotStrong has had different enemy placements and stuff as well as divine weapons/armor, but not sure I want to go through the game four times.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bragging rights, and the inclusion of boss buffs specifically engineered to make throw and LW builds useless. :v:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

Is that Familiarity Bonus or Familiarity Damage Bonus? The former doesn't increase your damage. I'd also get rid of Weaken Armour since I don't know if it works on yokai.

familiarity damage bonus. will do once i've farmed some more gold since reforging is loving expensive. also i got rid of something that had an A scaling in another skill that i'm 75% sure was inheritable. i didn't realise if you maxed out familiarity you could overwrite other inheritable things. then i find out i can overwrite this ki reduciton thing (which would be an okay skill but i' mwearing red demon which makes ki regen loving fast anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there anything really unique about Way of the Nioh/etc that's worth going through? So far WotStrong has had different enemy placements and stuff as well as divine weapons/armor, but not sure I want to go through the game four times.

You only need to complete a set amount of missions to unlock The Queen's Eyes and the next difficulty level, by the way. Besides the extra help bosses get in higher difficulties, I think from WotD onwards you start getting dlc enemies in the base game. Those long-necked fuckers. :argh: