Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean we all know this but just a step or two outside our area of expertise there's really no way for a non-subject-matter-expert to know what is trivially easy and what is ludicrous and impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"There is no way to do what you want without manually opening and checking every document, unfortunately."

*ticket closed*

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I mean we all know this but just a step or two outside our area of expertise there's really no way for a non-subject-matter-expert to know what is trivially easy and what is ludicrous and impossible.

I found a good way to signal "ludicrous and impossible" is the ability to ask the user if they wish to fund the man-hours involved in developing a solution for their "problem". When they see the dollar amount that would get charged against their budget, these kind of "satisfy my curiosity for a really difficult metric to collect" requests are really reduced in quantity.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, it does bear repeating though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Slightly crazy thing I did a while ago, that's actually somewhat similar in nature to that "find all hyperlinks in all (Word?) documents" thing, which I solved using COM automation from PowerShell to Outlook: User has a huge number of custom address book folders on a shared mailbox, and wants all of those to appear in the Outlook "select recipients" address book view. It's a flag you can set on a folder one at a time in the regular under some specific circumstances, but it's also a flag that can actually be controlled via the Automation interface. Somehow she had had those folders visible that way previously, but a new Outlook profile (or perhaps computer replacement) had cleared it out. I don't know how she had originally gotten them all in that view.
But I wrote a rather short PS script that finds all address book folders in the current profile and sets the flag on them.

And no I forget how long I spent researching and implementing it, probably something like 1 or 2 hours.

But my point might be, this could likely be solved in a similar way with COM Automation to Word, enumerating all files via PS and then opening them one by one and finding all links in each. The job would take hours to run after being implemented and tested, and obviously require a client with Office installed, and full access to all relevant files. Actually coding and testing the job probably 2-3 hours.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 17, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay I had to try it out, and at the core it's really simple:

code:
$word = New-Object -ComObject Word.Application
$doc = $word.Documents.Open("\\server\share\file.docx")
$doc.Hyperlinks | Select Name,Type,Address,SubAddress,Target | Export-Csv hyperlinks.csv
$doc.Close()
The hard part is going to be all the glue code.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

nielsm posted:

code:
$doc.Hyperlinks | Select Name,Type,Address,SubAddress,Target | Export-Csv hyperlinks.csv
$doc.Close()

You're starting to make me curious... I don't have time to be curious right now lol

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

nielsm posted:

code:
$doc.Close()

I'm ignoring this. gently caress you for making me ignore it. Jerk.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Do they want a list of files on their drive that have links, or do they want a list of files on all drives that link to files on their drive?

At the very core you're looking at an XY problem for sure. Why the gently caress do they care about file links, and what are they actually attempting to do that brought up their question.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I feel like that is very likely what is going on here, but it's a fun thought exercise to try and build out.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Think it out, build the code\script, document it profusely, file it away, close ticket "can't be done", show it in your portfolio for your next job.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Do they want a list of files on their drive that have links, or do they want a list of files on all drives that link to files on their drive?

At the very core you're looking at an XY problem for sure. Why the gently caress do they care about file links, and what are they actually attempting to do that brought up their question.

gently caress, fine, here’s the details:

They are undertaking a project to clean up the files and folders in their department’s network drive. They asked a while ago if there was a way to easily back it up in case anything went wrong. I told them how the regular backup system worked, and warned them that if their training documents used absolute links then those would be broken if they started moving stuff around. People may remember I had trouble remembering the name for relative links a while ago? That was this.

Apparently the job has been proceeding slowly as they asked today if there was a way to get the links from everything, and where they pointed to, so that they could check in advance if they’re going to be breaking poo poo. Helping them find those links is way way WAY outside scope, but now that there’s a mostly working powershell script...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

GreenNight posted:

"There is no way to do what you want without manually opening and checking every document, unfortunately."

*ticket closed*

So when will you have this done? Should take a couple hours right? Great, i'll tell the CEO you're working on it, this is for a project due on Friday.

E: damnit, i wrote this before reading the explanation

myron cope fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 18, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress, fine, here’s the details:

They are undertaking a project to clean up the files and folders in their department’s network drive. They asked a while ago if there was a way to easily back it up in case anything went wrong. I told them how the regular backup system worked, and warned them that if their training documents used absolute links then those would be broken if they started moving stuff around. People may remember I had trouble remembering the name for relative links a while ago? That was this.

Apparently the job has been proceeding slowly as they asked today if there was a way to get the links from everything, and where they pointed to, so that they could check in advance if they’re going to be breaking poo poo. Helping them find those links is way way WAY outside scope, but now that there’s a mostly working powershell script...

The correct answer here is to heavily pad your time estimate to code, debug and test the script, then present it to them as a "You wanna spend the 20 hours of billable time on this, get your boss and my boss to OK it and I'll get started. Earliest I can have this done with my current responsibilities would be February 3rd." You get a cool powershell script to play with, they get a solution that spits out a big csv of stuff to look into, and hopefully your department has a method to bill back the time worked on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vendor left an IP phone for us to play with for the week. CEO (owners wife) comes in and asks about it, complains because the handset isn't cordless

Ughhhh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

vendor left an IP phone for us to play with for the week. CEO (owners wife) comes in and asks about it, complains because the handset isn't cordless

Ughhhh

Just tell them they can use a bluetooth headset to answer calls.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The correct answer here is to heavily pad your time estimate to code, debug and test the script, then present it to them as a "You wanna spend the 20 hours of billable time on this, get your boss and my boss to OK it and I'll get started. Earliest I can have this done with my current responsibilities would be February 3rd." You get a cool powershell script to play with, they get a solution that spits out a big csv of stuff to look into, and hopefully your department has a method to bill back the time worked on it.

I’m help desk, and the only one of the three of us that knows more than "powershell exists." A couple of our infrastructure guys are powershell wizards, but they also have better poo poo to do, like keep the servers running and upgrading us to Umbrella so we can ditch McAffe and consolidating our 3 domains to 1.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’m help desk, and the only one of the three of us that knows more than "powershell exists." A couple of our infrastructure guys are powershell wizards, but they also have better poo poo to do, like keep the servers running and upgrading us to Umbrella so we can ditch McAffe and consolidating our 3 domains to 1.

If you're Helldesk, and the other two shlubs are able to take up the slack, I'd absolutely do this. A nice mini-vacation from the usual break/fix/swear ticket grind, a cool thing to talk about on your eventual YOTJ interview, and experience in a scripting language a lot of people are still kinda iffy on. If your boss okays it, go for it. Some of the coolest stuff I've done is because 'here is a problem, here is a hammer, fabricate us a pile of nails to use it on' and I managed to come up with a solution. Like my horrible abortion of an excel spreadsheet that interfaced with google maps via visual basic to find the average driving time between a set starting point and a variety of potential client sites in order to find the best city to set up a satellite office in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Someone made a gallery of various hawaii missile alert memes

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Including the real thing, apparently. Wonder if that was intentional or not.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Kyrosiris posted:

Including the real thing, apparently. Wonder if that was intentional or not.

They didn't include the real thing, actually.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

&password=hunter2

:allears:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

This looks and sounds like they tried to backtrack and go "no, really, it's not as bad as we said!"

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

chin up everything sucks posted:

This looks and sounds like they tried to backtrack and go "no, really, it's not as bad as we said!"

Possibly! But no matter what the truth is, it still looks really bad.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No worries, the government is working on restoring faith in the nuclear alert system

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

senrath posted:

Possibly! But no matter what the truth is, it still looks really bad.

"We can't show you the real one because then hackers could gain valuable information about our systems"

Oh no, then they could send out fake missile alerts

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

On Tuesday, the state emergency agency provided what Rapoza described as a “more accurate” look at what a worker might see.

yeah because that's so much better than before

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Renegret posted:

Please note that "False Alarm" is the new option.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Any perceived inadequacies in the interface are simply a result of insufficient training learning, any and all mistakes are the sole responsibility of the operator :commissar:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just tell them they can use a bluetooth headset to answer calls.

If they shell out the hundred for a compatible set.

I work the counter and float around the building but I'm also supposed to be the first line for phone calls; I've been eyeing a Plantronics bluetooth earpiece thingy since we got the VoIP phones but I can't see them shelling out $500 for it despite the fact that I could answer phones anywhere in the showroom.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Many people already have headsets (that will work with the new phones) but it's just her trying to find something to complain about

"It'd be nice to not have a cord, I've seen phones like that"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Renegret posted:

Any time you see a list where one of the entries is prepended with '1.' you know there is a history of poo poo UI design that someone is trying to work around.

Also 'AAAA ' and '!!!'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

D34THROW posted:

If they shell out the hundred for a compatible set.

I work the counter and float around the building but I'm also supposed to be the first line for phone calls; I've been eyeing a Plantronics bluetooth earpiece thingy since we got the VoIP phones but I can't see them shelling out $500 for it despite the fact that I could answer phones anywhere in the showroom.

Don't get a Bluetooth earpiece, get one that wires from your phone to a base station and then uses DECT to talk to the headset. I have a Savi W710 and it's really good, and was nowhere near that price.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

...Huh, go figure.

That just makes this even funnier, god drat.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't get a Bluetooth earpiece, get one that wires from your phone to a base station and then uses DECT to talk to the headset. I have a Savi W710 and it's really good, and was nowhere near that price.

Echoing this. Bluetooth works fine if you're at your desk and just want to not have wires, but DECT is what you want if you want to roam while on the phone. None of my customers that have tried it have ended up happy with Bluetooth, they always switch to something like a Jabra Pro 900. I've tested their 300 foot range claim and line-of-sight it works fine, in a building it's more like 150 feet but that's with crystal clear audio the whole time. Bluetooth I've never had a good experience with beyond 20 feet or so.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ticket came in: PC has no network connection.

Okay basic troubleshooting finds that the cable is unplugged. Yep fixes it, or...
No, logon times are ridiculously slow, and you can't actually get anywhere on the network.

Remoting it to check it, because that still works. For some reason it's taking a DNS server 192.168.1.x despite correctly getting a 10.x.y.z address and everything else from DHCP. Running ipconfig /renew fixes it, Windows immediately grabs the correct DNS servers, and logging out and back in is snappy.
Reboot, for testing, and the problem is back: Again wrong DNS server. And again fixed with ipconfig /renew.
Checked settings for Ethernet card, nothing static configured.

Uh better send an onsite tech out there. I tell the user to just not reboot until then. It's a tiny satellite, so I bet it's a rogue DHCP server somewhere. I just don't understand how it can get DNS wrong but everything else right, and get fixed with a renew.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you're Helldesk, and the other two shlubs are able to take up the slack, I'd absolutely do this. A nice mini-vacation from the usual break/fix/swear ticket grind, a cool thing to talk about on your eventual YOTJ interview, and experience in a scripting language a lot of people are still kinda iffy on. If your boss okays it, go for it. Some of the coolest stuff I've done is because 'here is a problem, here is a hammer, fabricate us a pile of nails to use it on' and I managed to come up with a solution. Like my horrible abortion of an excel spreadsheet that interfaced with google maps via visual basic to find the average driving time between a set starting point and a variety of potential client sites in order to find the best city to set up a satellite office in.

:cry:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kyrosiris posted:

...Huh, go figure.

That just makes this even funnier, god drat.

If your system is so insecure that a screenshot of what is displayed to the end user renders you 100% Vulnerable then you have bigger problems.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Thanks Ants posted:

That's funny, the Savi 700 series is what I was looking at. It's showing as like $415 on the Plantronics website but I suppose that's exactly it. I'll shop around and see if I can't wrangle it out of them.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Entropic posted:

So basically everyone’s suspicions about how the Hawaii false alarm happened have been confirmed:

https://twitter.com/civilbeat/status/953127542050795520

:catstare:

There was also a picture posted of the computer's password on a post-it note
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hawaii-emergency-management-agency-stored-passwords-on-post-it-notes/