Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Honky Dong Country posted:

• For a long time Britannia was hilariously ruled by ORCS. The ruling dynasty's name was Orc

Orc is the starting dynasty of the Orkney Islands in 769. He's a fun guy to play as sometimes, since he usually has decent stats and is only 25 at game start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Pictish culture only has like five valid dynasty names, which means that any given randomly generated Pict has a pretty high chance of being an Orc. Any large Pictish empire will end up full of them.

"Orc" apparently means "boar", by the way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

The Pictish culture only has like five valid dynasty names, which means that any given randomly generated Pict has a pretty high chance of being an Orc. Any large Pictish empire will end up full of them.

Which makes it disappointing that Pictish empires aren't blue.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

a character looks like a normal human, but then it turns out they're actually a bear?

Wait what!? As in a strategically shaved bear manages to work his way into court? Why have I never heard of this before!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Weavered posted:

Wait what!? As in a strategically shaved bear manages to work his way into court? Why have I never heard of this before!

In my case, it was a nephew of mine. I got a few pop-ups where my ruler was complaining about how loudly he snored, how hairy his knuckles were, and how big his nose was, and then somehow his clothes fell off and it was revealed he was a bear. I think I picked the wrong response, because the event just kinda ended after that, but it was surprising and hilarious. He stuck around in my court, so of course I married him off and bred more bears, because why the hell wouldn't you?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Weavered posted:

Because it only got added recently with Jade Dragon.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm more curious about the cats tbh because I've never even seen one

Paradox, put in all the animals under animal culture plz

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm more curious about the cats tbh because I've never even seen one

Paradox, put in all the animals under animal culture plz

I dunno, it wouldn't make sense for cats, horses, elephants and bears to all get the same content, and I imagine they'd be terribly insulted you thought they were all a monoculture :colbert:

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

gently caress I used to wish my vassals weren't so hostile to me for no reason.

I no longer care about unjust imprisonment penalties.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

I dunno, it wouldn't make sense for cats, horses, elephants and bears to all get the same content, and I imagine they'd be terribly insulted you thought they were all a monoculture :colbert:

Although, maybe Penguin is referring to putting them under the same 'culture group'? (Although to be honest I don't recall if there ARE defined culture groups, or if that's just an EU4 thing...it's been too long since I paid any attention to that aspect of the game)

I wish I'd get the bear events too, though - it'd be great if my 250+ year old king is revealed to the world as having been a bear the whole time! :D

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Although, maybe Penguin is referring to putting them under the same 'culture group'? (Although to be honest I don't recall if there ARE defined culture groups, or if that's just an EU4 thing...it's been too long since I paid any attention to that aspect of the game)

Yes, CK2 has culture groups, but it's mostly just for opinion penalties (I think it's -5 for different culture in the same group but -10 for different culture group).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

It's still dumb to have the culture be Bear (Culture group: Bear) or Horse: Horse, when clearly it should be Bear: Animal and Horse: Animal, in the same way that while as an Icelander, I recognize that I'm in the North Germanic culture group, that I have to share with people that eat grass and are by nature of their traits naturally terrible at everything they do (the danish)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
For some reason, giving one of my vassals the duchy of cornwall, set them up as a petty king in surrey. Without any cornwall provinces. :thunk:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DJ Dizzy posted:

For some reason, giving one of my vassals the duchy of cornwall, set them up as a petty king in surrey. Without any cornwall provinces. :thunk:

That's normal. You should have given the duchy to one of your Cornish counts.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Greater Cornwall reaches that far friendo; the game is just setting it up correctly~

Btw, looking up what Surrey might be in Cornish showed me this stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_rebellion_of_1497

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Is there a reason I can't give out duchies to people without them forming their own kingdoms?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Are you King Of England yet? If not, then it's because no one thinks you're important enough to deserve vassals that fancy. "Petty King" is a Duke-level title, and can only have vassals below Duke.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
If you mean Petty Kings, those are independent dukes of some cultures (Irish, mostly, IIRC). They work exactly the same as a duchy. If you're a duke and hand out a duchy they don't become your vassals, they become independent because they have the same rank you do.

If you mean "real" kingdoms, the AI can form them as normal. They need to control enough land and spend money and piety. Don't create mega-dukes and you'll have fewer problems.

EDIT: efb

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Gotcha. Thanks. That would explain it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Fat Samurai posted:

If you mean "real" kingdoms, the AI can form them as normal. They need to control enough land and spend money and piety. Don't create mega-dukes and you'll have fewer problems.

I think I prefer having a few powerful vassals vs more weaker ones. It's easier to placate or imprison/kill 5 guys than it is 15. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fat Samurai posted:

Give Lombardy to your son and start feeding development to his duchy to transfer capitals when your current character dies? Or if you are close to death go on a tyranny rampage and revoke a couple of counties in Lombardy.

I followed this advice and gave Lombardy (duchy+county) to my 18yo son. He promptly usurped one of the other counties in his duchy, that's my boy!

He actually turned out way better than me, he already has children, two counties and a duchy to his name. He's on my council and was instrumental in passing regulated inheritance.

I wish he would get on already with killing my sorry, homosexual low-stats rear end so I could play as him

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
In 1112, I started as William the Troubadour, Duke of Aquitaine. The Kingdom of Jerusalem under Baldwin I fell to a Jihad, only for me to win it back in the next Crusade of 1125. Since I was a vassal of the King of France, and moving to Jerusalem would mean giving up my European lands, I gave the kingdom to my bastard son. He was succeeded by his daughter, who, through inheritance shenanigans, became Countess of Savoy as well. In this time, the Kingdom is constantly at war and lacking in funds, and she never has the opportunity to receive a proper coronation.

In 1160 there's another Jihad while I'm busy fighting the resurgent Andalusians, who have become independent from Morocco and conquered all of Aragon. Jerusalem is lost, Queen Adela is still uncrowned, and reduced to Savoy. I had taken Vienne from the remnants of Aragon, reduced to the old Duchy of Provence, so I was able to use the Border Dispute CB to vassalize her.

In 1191, the Pope declares a Crusade for Jerusalem. At this point, I've not only become independent from France, but become the Emperor of Aquitaine, ruler of a realm stretching from Savoy to Valencia. The Crusade is hardly a challenge at all, my forces are the size of the other participants combined. While I'm debating whether to keep Jerusalem or set it free, I realize that Queen Adela is still alive, and still ruling in Savoy.

In 1193, Queen Adela I is finally crowned as Queen of Jerusalem, 47 years after she first succeeded the throne.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I wish rebellions against my vassals didn't count against my vassal limit. Keeping to the limit is hard enough as it is without spontaneously going over because King Moron pissed off Duke Idiot.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Well, I've been craving some CK2 again. Last time I played China wasn't added to the game. Any starts you recommend? I know the basics but everything will be a bit rusty. So nothing too difficult I guess?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

shut up blegum posted:

Well, I've been craving some CK2 again. Last time I played China wasn't added to the game. Any starts you recommend? I know the basics but everything will be a bit rusty. So nothing too difficult I guess?

Tibet in the earliest start. Powerful empire that can mess with the china mechanics at your leisure.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I like the Han duke in the Old Gods start. You start with one Silk Road post and should be able to easily seize another fairly quickly, being of the same culture and religion as the Chinese emperor gets you automatic monthly cred with him, and you get to choose whichever heir you want. Han culture's a little dull, there's not much to Taoism and you can only join the Hermetics, but I had fun with it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

EDIT: Nevermind, worked

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 17, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh, you need the China dlc otherwise China isn't on the map. Makes a lot of sense but I'm still surprised :v:

EDIT: wow, the game runs way worse than I remember. Did the updates cause that? Or should I just finally upgrade my laptop?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 17, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

How do I deal with stupid (other) patrician families getting their trading posts in my trade zones? This is ten times worse than pretty borders.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I deal with stupid (other) patrician families getting their trading posts in my trade zones? This is ten times worse than pretty borders.

You already know the answer

:ese:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if Paradox intended republics to be a never ending series of purges.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

Oh, you need the China dlc otherwise China isn't on the map. Makes a lot of sense but I'm still surprised :v:

EDIT: wow, the game runs way worse than I remember. Did the updates cause that? Or should I just finally upgrade my laptop?

China's never on the map - it functions as an unplayable off-map power that you can only interact with through special options.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if Paradox intended republics to be a never ending series of purges.

Historically correct.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Peas and Rice posted:

Historically correct.

WELL ACTUALLY the Venetian Republic famously didn't suffer the same internal strife as the other Italian merchant republics, like Genoa or Milan, as evidenced by the lack of personal fortresses for its patricians, and its overall relative peace focused largely around the myth of Venice the Republic as greater than familial ties.

:goonsay:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I don't know if this is a bug or working as intended, but I can't figure out why my wife's claims isn't being enforced when I victory peace out.

I'm the king of Ireland, wife has a strong claim on England. We're both agnatic-cognatic gavelkind, and I'm able to select the claim england for my wife cb. Twice I've done this now, and the first time when I won, the king of England lost 100 prestige and nothing else changed. My wife remained where she was, with her strong claim. I'm sitting at 100% warscore seeing if there's anything I can do before giving up.

On a related note, the Knights Templars came for my son, who I gladly gave away to ensure I don't lose both my Ireland and Scotland titles. Even though he's now celibate and I was told he would be removed from the line of succession, I'm still getting the "lose titles on death" notification with a single son.

Edit: nm on on the second one, it just took time.

edit2:

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 18, 2018

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

How old is your laptop? There was a patch a while back that improved performance by stopping the AI from castrating everyone in sight, among other things. I play on a 2014 macbook pro and I'd say performance is overall decent. It gets noticeably slower as time goes on of course, but nothing too bad.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Lucas Archer posted:

I don't know if this is a bug or working as intended, but I can't figure out why my wife's claims isn't being enforced when I victory peace out.

I'm the king of Ireland, wife has a strong claim on England. We're both agnatic-cognatic gavelkind, and I'm able to select the claim england for my wife cb. Twice I've done this now, and the first time when I won, the king of England lost 100 prestige and nothing else changed. My wife remained where she was, with her strong claim. I'm sitting at 100% warscore seeing if there's anything I can do before giving up.

On a related note, the Knights Templars came for my son, who I gladly gave away to ensure I don't lose both my Ireland and Scotland titles. Even though he's now celibate and I was told he would be removed from the line of succession, I'm still getting the "lose titles on death" notification with a single son.

Edit: nm on on the second one, it just took time.

edit2:

One thing I found out with gavelkind and other funky succession problems, is save and reload. That will update the character screens and remove wrong warnings.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I have bastards with the wives of my bastards

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
769 Magyar RIP 867 Magyar: Completely pillaged most of Europe and conquered the steppes during 200 years. My clans joined almost every war, I had Byzantium and Arabia as extremely powerful tributaries, and I was ready to settle down as a Republic with 25k gold and numerous Chinese boons and a lot of tech points. But I wait to settle until I pillage one last city, and my ruler dies abruptly. I mostly ignored succession because my family is prolific and I have so many treasury boons. But because I play with default equal rights, I am now an elderly woman in an ancient non-matrilineal marriage with no playable heir regardless of how I settle or who I kill or marry. The option to create a republic is unavailable, and I'm pretty sure I'd still lose even if I could enact it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Main Paineframe posted:

China's never on the map - it functions as an unplayable off-map power that you can only interact with through special options.

Oh okay, that makes sense.

• Locked thread